Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:49 AM   #41
Jerry
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapdiggy View Post
Can we just chock it up to opinion and stop arguing? If anyone wants to have a loud exhaust, they have my permission.
If you want to start threads expressing your distaste for high dB, please use a more expressive title than "Loud Pipes" so I can avoid what amounts to complaints of self-important individuals with chips on their shoulders.
So you want a louder exhaust?

Note how the use of "you" makes it personal...that's what I call arguing. Me, I just see a discussion among good folks w/ differing opinions, one of which has some power to enact legislation... my opinion is that it's a good discussion, regardless of title. No one asked me to respond, but I have an opinion, and I expressed it...it's all good.

Just saying.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2009, 04:07 AM   #42
Nny
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha R6 (street), GSXR 750 (track) and a Harley FXDB

Unfortunately, this will always be a opinionated topic as there is no statistic we can look at for accidents avoided due to loud pipes. The only statistic we can look at is if there was an accident with a motorcycle.

Even then at that point you cant see what pipes they were running and at what decibel level.

I mean, unless people wanted to start filling out police reports every time they avoided an accident specifically when they blipped the throttle to get attention.

Personally, my experience leads me to believe that if some people cant hear my horn, how will they hear my pipes? It is entirely a situational thing but I would imagine that when that situation does come up it can mean life or death.

I see a lot of driveres out there that shouldnt be behind the wheel and I would like every defense against them. However, I had also stopped playing the "what if" game and if my time does come simply because I didnt have loud pipes then that is my fate and I accept that. I just hope someone fights to put the dumb a** behind bars for killing me.

Previous rides: Ninja 650, Ninja 250, Goldwing and a Nightster
Nny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2009, 06:58 AM   #43
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

I think you are far better served by being aware of your surroundings and driving your bike offensively, driving defensively may work most of the time but it is by definition a reactive mode, not proactive like you need to be on a bike. I've found really good brakes and a powerful engine to get me out of a jam for more often than the horn or any loud device. Combine that with looking at the car ahead and being able to tell when they are going to change lanes without a signal right in front of me. Start watching the traffic ahead and you'll pick up on the little signs that the driver is an idiot and will do things without thinking.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2009, 07:18 AM   #44
cifex
ninjette.org guru

Name: Z

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (sold)

Interesting Jerry, I wasn't aware that there was such a thing. Our pipes just have baffles in the can, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
I think you are far better served by being aware of your surroundings and driving your bike offensively, driving defensively may work most of the time but it is by definition a reactive mode, not proactive like you need to be on a bike. I've found really good brakes and a powerful engine to get me out of a jam for more often than the horn or any loud device. Combine that with looking at the car ahead and being able to tell when they are going to change lanes without a signal right in front of me. Start watching the traffic ahead and you'll pick up on the little signs that the driver is an idiot and will do things without thinking.
QFT!

As far as the comment on there being pages of argument......that's sort of the point of a discussion forum.

fo⋅rum

3. an assembly, meeting place, television program, etc., for the discussion of questions of public interest.
cifex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2009, 08:05 AM   #45
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Obviously I also like quiet pipes. I even emailed Area P to see if they had done any work on the bike I'm going to pickup tomorrow, sadly they have not. Matte black everywhere and stealthy quiet pipes would be really cool! Obviously I don't care if the stupid cagers can see me, they aren't looking anyway!!! That said I have been thinking of seeing if I can wedge an airhorn in the bike somewhere. Put one on a car once and it made people jump when they were cutting me off and I hit it! I stopped getting cut off by the same people everyday after a few times.

Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:16 AM   #46
danknation
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE

So you would rather make large amounts of noise with an airhorn as opposed to exhaust? That seems pretty hypocritical and contradictory in my opinion. Your argument for quiter pipes just lost whatever validitity it had.
danknation is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:20 AM   #47
Jerry
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cifex View Post
Interesting Jerry, I wasn't aware that there was such a thing. Our pipes just have baffles in the can, correct?
Ha! I stand corrected. You know, when I was looking/deciding on my next bike, the 250 was always on the list...I didn't do a lot of research, but kicked a few tires, and knew the new-gen was coming out

...I'm kinda a 'tree-hugger' and remember asking if the new 250's would have cat. converters...the sales guy told me they would...I never gave it another thought...

Funny how what we think we know, can be based on such a shaky source.

Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:24 AM   #48
cifex
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by danknation View Post
So you would rather make large amounts of noise with an airhorn as opposed to exhaust? That seems pretty hypocritical and contradictory in my opinion. Your argument for quiter pipes just lost whatever validitity it had.
Ummm....no. Believe it or not the horn turns off when you let go of the button. Pipes are on all the time.

Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:29 AM   #49
cifex
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post

Ha! I stand corrected.
That wasn't meant to be a smart ass remark. I wasn't sure, just seemed like a CAT would be too heavy awkward to put on a bike. Cept maybe one of the goldwings or something.

Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:34 AM   #50
danknation
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
Ummm....no. Believe it or not the horn turns off when you let go of the button. Pipes are on all the time.
Right, but the annoying and monotonous tone that causes the problem is sofetened if you shift up a gear or ease of the throttle a bit. Same thing as letting off the button on the air-horn. Of course these things CAN be restricted by the user but they aren't at all times. Does that then mean we are all just going to go around trying to institute legislation that WE are in favor of? If thats the case, it annoys me when anyone on this forum types with a blue font. Im a legislator and I am going to see to it that nobody can use blue text anymore! muhahaha! I realize I am exagerrating my point but I just wanted him to see it from the other side to begin with. If this is the point that members of our soceity have gotten to I am moving to a remote island. It reminds me of kindergarten "Uhh I dont like that, Im going to tell!". Grow up and get over it.

In my experience and opinion with matters like these it's always been best to just let it slide. Im more of an advocate of paying it forward. They want to piss everyone off with their exhaust, so be it. But unless it gets to the point where they sit in front of my house and do it I am not going to take action that punishes the majority for the idiocracy of the few.
danknation is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:19 AM   #51
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by danknation View Post

That's plain stupid, I won't even defend my statements to you.

Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:21 AM   #52
Hedge36
SooperChikkin.

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): BMW R1200GS Adventure, '07 250 Ninja

Loud pipes don't save lives. Smart riding, reading the intentions of the cages around you, being proactive and remaining seen... that's what saves lives.

The day I have to rely on my bike's exhaust noise to keep me out of harm's way is the day I turn in my keys and hang up my helmet.
Hedge36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:37 AM   #53
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedge36 View Post
Loud pipes don't save lives. Smart riding, reading the intentions of the cages around you, being proactive and remaining seen... that's what saves lives.

The day I have to rely on my bike's exhaust noise to keep me out of harm's way is the day I turn in my keys and hang up my helmet.
Scott - I realize you are new to our forum but please, what are you doing bringing common sense and logic to a thread. Have you no shame?

Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:47 AM   #54
Hedge36
SooperChikkin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
Have you no shame?
None, especially when faced with stupidity, which is universal

I do a lot of long-distance highway and dual sport riding. Loud pipes are a pain in the ass to ride with over long distances, annoy everybody around you and more often than not will cause a slow-lane cager to look for the noise source while simultaneously drifting TOWARD you - not good. It's one of those arguments that I get pretty worked up over sometimes.

And then there are headlight modulators

Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:49 AM   #55
cifex
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
And then there are headlight modulators
What's your problem with headlight modulators?

Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:52 AM   #56
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Sorry eric, but you're missing the point completely.

Ok, picture this. You're in your living room watching tv and you have a large area fan (those big metal fans standing 6' tall) keeping the area cool. It's loud and constant but can vary in speed and sound. Ok, well you notice it at first, but you tune it out and continue watching tv. Now someone right by the fan uses one of those air horns with a can of air. It only lasts for a second, but you jump out of your skin and turn to see what just happened.

Point is, the horn can last for a second, is noticed INSTANTLY and gets a quick 'wake up' style reaction causing others to become more alert for a second to find out what that was. Loud pipes will keep going, aren't instant, and can/do get tuned out so you are again not noticed. They are NOWHERE near the same as you suggest. As was said, the horn goes on then goes off, gets there attention and it's over. The exhaust on the other hand continues long after you've heard it and can just grate on you.

If you think it's the same then why don't hear people going down the street with their horns going constantly the way a loud exhaust does?
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:54 AM   #57
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

They suck at night. You end up with about 50% of the light that you should have. Especially when it is so easy to just reach your thumb out and flick the switch between high and low several times.

Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:56 AM   #58
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
They suck at night. You end up with about 50% of the light that you should have. Especially when it is so easy to just reach your thumb out and flick the switch between high and low several times.

Ummmmm, you're not supposed to use the modulator at night. They're supposed to wired with an on/off switch to use during the day only.

Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:58 AM   #59
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

By the way, driving with your horn constantly (or even beeping far too many times) going gets you a ticket everywhere I've ever driven. Has something to do with being a nuisance, imagine that. It's an absolutely stupid comparison to a loud exhaust.

Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:58 AM   #60
cifex
ninjette.org guru

Headlight modulators don't work at night..... federal law requires a light sensor mounted horizontally to deactivate the light at dusk.

Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:00 PM   #61
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
Ummmmm, you're not supposed to use the modulator at night. They're supposed to wired with an on/off switch to use during the day only.

Then there's lot of dumb people around me that forget this. I would worry about lamp failure from the heating and cooling cycles. Mostly in the day I run with high beams on, then go back to low when it gets dark and traffic is around.

Maybe we should all have flashing lights front and back and a siren to keep us safe from the evil cage dwellers

Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:03 PM   #62
cifex
ninjette.org guru

As stated. By law, modulators must have a light sensor. Also in the law is requirement that if the modulator fails it should allow the headlights to operate normally. Also note that the modulating is from 20% instensity to 100% and does not reduce bulb life. So...uhhh...suck it....ha! KAPOW!

Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:09 PM   #63
Jerry
ninjette.org member

Quote:

There's an opinion I can believe in!

If we need a "Headlight Modulator Moderator," I'm nominating the Dancing Chicken!!

Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:17 PM   #64
ajaygraci
ninjette.org member

Name: Angelo

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ninja 250r, black, carbon fiber full exhaust...2000 toyota 4runner

blehhh rant edited .. i want my voice heard!!.. oh well..

Last futzed with by ajaygraci; October 2nd, 2009 at 02:56 PM.
ajaygraci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:21 PM   #65
ajaygraci
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ninja 250r, black, carbon fiber full exhaust...2000 toyota 4runner

blehhhhhhhhhh .

Last futzed with by ajaygraci; October 2nd, 2009 at 02:56 PM.

Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:32 PM   #66
sombo

Alex, I think it's getting to be about that time man. I think you know what I mean.

Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:39 PM   #67
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Way past time.

Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:45 PM   #68
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:02 PM   #69
Kawasabi
ninjette.org member

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): RED 250R

STOP
Kawasabi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:54 PM   #70
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

PM's sent to to posters out of compliance with the TOS. I'll give it a couple more hours to see if things get cleaned up in the thread on their own before locking the thread and/or taking any individual actions.

What is it about the loud pipes topic that always gets folks so riled up?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:04 PM   #71
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
What is it about the loud pipes topic that always gets folks so riled up?
ignorance.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:36 PM   #72
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Ignorance is bliss?

Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:40 PM   #73
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:54 PM   #74
Hedge36
SooperChikkin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaygraci View Post
and to people saying "say i depend on my exhaust to save my life is day i hang up helmet" ... everything you can do helps, you can try n be safe as much as possible bbut still sometimes you will end up in someones blindspot, or hell maybe they dont even look!.. ive seen so many people with their mirrors adjusted so they see like 1 inch of road and rest the side of their car... are you DENYING that a loud exhaust would help out to be seen/ noticed?

Person. Singular.

And yes, I am in fact denying it.

Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:58 PM   #75
ajaygraci
ninjette.org member

oh ^ btw dude i just was coming around a blind turn at about 30 mph and a car didnt pull out in front of me, he stoped bottom of driveway , im sure if he didnt hear me he of course would not see me and therefore would have pulled out.

Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:58 PM   #76
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
My only thought is I don't appreciate the fact that . Because some one pulls there pipe and rides past your house in the middle of the night . I get a ticket for an exhaust that is not loud but dose not have a certain sticker. Meanwhile the original guy is still riding past you house in the middle of the night with no muffler.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2009, 03:00 PM   #77
Hedge36
SooperChikkin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaygraci View Post
oh ^ btw dude i just was coming around a blind turn at about 30 mph and a car didnt pull out in front of me, he stoped bottom of driveway , im sure if he didnt hear me he of course would not see me and therefore would have pulled out.
He's no different than any other cage on the road: they're ALL out to get you. Treat them all that way, ride smart, and it won't matter a hoot how much noise your bike does or doesn't make.

Old October 2nd, 2009, 04:59 PM   #78
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Alex, Sorry I brought up the loud pipes issue. There will be no resolution to this. Seems that the majority of riders are not happy with the silencers that come with their bikes and get aftermarket pipes that sound better, at least to them. I live in a resort type town on the coast that is a destination for many people. There is a very popular Biker Bar about four blocks from me. I have been approached by many people in town who are sick and tired of the noise created by bikers (we have few ricers here) There will be a noise ordinance passed here. Things are toning down somewhat because it is fall--but the summer months are not too pleasant here with the noise lasting well into 1 and 2 AM. The Rte 1 Bypass has become a virtual dragstrip after 10 PM. People are entitled to some semblance of peace--In fact, taxpayers demand it. I will continue to advocate for a noise ordinance based on a reasonable decibal level.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2009, 05:12 PM   #79
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Quote:
Zach - our bikes have two in-line cats in the pipe, one near the header and one just before the pipe I believe - Kerry has posted pics of it in the past...

pssst... Darknation - do you like my font color???

Old October 2nd, 2009, 05:15 PM   #80
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

I say go for noise limitations and make sure they are enforced. I'm all for that type of legislation, I just don't want to see companies that will strive to make something nearly as quiet as stock go down the tubes.