ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2018+ Ninja 400 > 2018+ Ninja 400 Farkles

Old April 15th, 2018, 06:59 PM   #1
Angel-be-Good
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '11 Street Triple R

Swingarm spools (Ninja 400)

FYI, the Ninja 400 uses an 8mm thread size for its swingarm spools (rear stand spools). I believe my Ninja 250 used 10mm, so I ordered a set with 10mm threads...but too large

So 8mm threads it is. Obnoxiously, I could have found out sooner if I'd just pulled the spools off my 2011 Street Triple (they're also 8mm) but I was so sure the 400 would be the same as the 250...

In case there was any doubt the bike is all-new

Old April 16th, 2018, 08:20 AM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Thanks for info! Is that 8x1.0 or 8x1.25mm?

On the 250R, there's always confusion from vendors on 10x1.25 vs 10x1.50mm and I've gotten sent both. Someone even reported that on their 250, it's 10x1.25mm on one side and 10x1.50mm on the other!!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2018, 09:06 AM   #3
Angel-be-Good
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '11 Street Triple R

Drat, that's an excellent question I wish I could answer. The thread width and pitch matched the bolts that came off my Street Triple passenger pegs...I matched them at the hardware store and didn't pay attention to the pitch.

Old September 13th, 2018, 08:15 PM   #4
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
'18 Ninja 400 swingarm spools

Just wanted to provide some info that I gathered from around the intarwebs... Unlike earlier Ninjettes that use 10mm spools, the 400 uses 8mm. The ATOM Black 8MM CNC Swingarm Spools by MC Motoparts work well. The bolt holes for the spools don't extend all the way to the outside edge of the swingarm, so the extension past the lip on these works perfectly (with others, you may need to add spacers). I got used to my 500's centerstand, so having swingarm spools helps a ton. For example, the engine oil wants to drain out almost directly onto the sidestand foot.

For being such a simple little part, these particular ones are fairly complicated. The spools themselves are designed to take a 10mm bolt. When using an 8mm bolt, there's a spacer that slides inside to take up the extra room. So slide the spacer into the spool, then install the 8mm bolt through the spacer/spool into the swingarm using your 6mm allen wrench, as usual. Don't forget a bit of blue Loctite to keep them from coming loose.

There's a protective/cosmetic cap that goes over the bolt head on the end of the spool. The colored ring fits on the end first, then there's a cap that screws in behind it to hold it. The cap has a large internal hex shape, like it would take a very large allen wrench to tighten. Included in the box is a small plastic hex adapter, which fits inside the hex of the cap, and accepts the 6mm allen wrench used to tighten the mounting bolt.

I haven't actually lifted the bike with them yet, but so far I like these spools. They're a little bigger than the ones I had on the 500. The extra size might help act like a mini-slider, but they're not obnoxiously huge or anything. The brand is silkscreened on one side of the spool. This can be oriented to be facing down and you'll probably never even notice it's there. They have a few colors for the ring on the cap, if you want to coordinate. The black ones are pretty subtle, just how I like my stuff. The cap should help keep the bolt head clean to avoid future problems.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2018, 01:38 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

/merged

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2019, 05:15 PM   #6
BretSV
ninjette.org member

Name: Bret

Motorcycle(s): Shopping

Whoops I got the wrong size
BretSV is offline   Reply With Quote