Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Group Rides and Local Events

Old October 10th, 2018, 04:09 PM   #1
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
Motorcycle Ohio

I wasn't sure where to put this, but this post is for anybody in Ohio that would be interested in doing a small class to get their endorsement or brush up on riding skills.

I had a chat with Michelle from the Motorcycle Ohio program this afternoon after floating an idea given to me by one of my customers. After hearing about my struggles in the Returning Rider course, the customer asked if I had ever thought about trying to get them to do a class for people like me with group anxiety issues or other learning issues that would cause a need for a small class size/certain kind of coach/more time. I suggested this to the Moto Ohio Facebook and it turns out that Michelle talked to the site coordinator/coach I had for Hudson High School and he is willing to set aside a class, most likely next season since this one is pretty much over, if I can find a few people to join me. He would be the coach, and I'm guessing that it would be the Returning Rider course.

I did let her know that it's probably too late for me, but that I would try and find some people to do it. If I can't, I'll just stick with the plan of taking the test at the BMV next season. They are also going to look into posting some things on social media to gauge what kind of response they get. Maybe start doing a course for people with issues similar to mine.

So, if you see this and you are a new rider, not so new but don't have your endorsement, or just want a skill refresher, the class would be in Hudson, Ohio at the High School on Stow Rd. Sometime next season. They are going to keep in contact with me and keep me informed of what's going on with their end.

Ohio peeps, spread the word. I know I'm not the only one with group anxiety. Most of us just choose not to say anything after our experiences, or maybe even just give up thinking that riding isn't for them. I guess I'm just trying to help others out, cuz I know how sucky it is to be trying to do something I know I can do while others tell me I can't do it cuz they don't know the situation.

reply here, or send a pm if interested.

"To ensure you're giving your very best, blind yourself of all negativity, relax your mind, put inhibition to rest and drive hard toward your goals like it's the last thing on earth." - csmith12
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2018, 06:01 PM   #2
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
I have one person interested for his son, so far.....need a few more

"To ensure you're giving your very best, blind yourself of all negativity, relax your mind, put inhibition to rest and drive hard toward your goals like it's the last thing on earth." - csmith12

Old October 12th, 2018, 10:43 PM   #3
Fifthwheelman
2-18 wheels

Name: Bradley

Motorcycle(s): ‘04 Kawasaki Ninja 250 “Baroness”

I am interested but have no idea when this would work, I have every intention of taking a course in the spring due to low skill level and the “use it or lose it” nature of riding skill. I would also need to know if I need to bring my own bike. As it stands it’s far too loud to take to a course no-one could hear the instructions. Distance means nothing to me I travel a lot.

Old October 13th, 2018, 02:16 PM   #4
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Moto Ohio provides bikes for all classes. Exceptions can be made for a rider to be on their own bike if they have good reason. I'll email Ken to let him know I have a few people interested and try to pin down some details as to what he is thinking.

Old October 13th, 2018, 08:23 PM   #5
Fifthwheelman
2-18 wheels

Excellent I’ll be able to pre pay near the end of December once I’m done holiday shopping...this makes me happy.

Old October 14th, 2018, 04:37 PM   #6
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifthwheelman View Post
Excellent I’ll be able to pre pay near the end of December once I’m done holiday shopping...this makes me happy.
glad to hear! I just emailed Ken about the class to try and get some details on what he is thinking for the class. I've had the flu all weekend, so I wanted to wait until I could at least think semi straight.

Old October 14th, 2018, 06:25 PM   #7
Fifthwheelman
2-18 wheels

Thank you for spearheading the coordination part of this and do get yourself feeling better flu is a miserable thing. You will know the local area better than I do when this is sorted out I may ask you for hotel recommendations since I won’t feel like going home between days (assuming Saturday and Sunday class)

Old October 16th, 2018, 02:54 PM   #8
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
That’s a great idea

Old January 30th, 2019, 03:05 PM   #9
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
@Fifthwheelman I never did get a response from Ken back in October. I spent the last week trying to get ahold of Michele and was finally able to get an email response. I was basically asking her if the deal was still on the table, since I had never heard back. She replied saying that either she or Ken would get in touch with me. That was 3 days ago. I tried again, and she said she would attempt to get in touch with him by phone.

So, gist of the story is at this moment I'm not sure if they are still willing to do it. If/when I hear from either of them, I will post any updates here. I'm hoping they make up their minds soon, since registration for classes opened on Monday.

Old February 3rd, 2019, 07:11 AM   #10
Fifthwheelman
2-18 wheels

I appreciate the efforts you are making for this. Minor chaos over here lol job change last month and moving from Dayton to cincy in April I’ll try to keep up. Thanks!

Old February 3rd, 2019, 12:30 PM   #11
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
I hope everything settles down for you!

At this point, I feel that unless they hear from other people saying "hey, are you willing to do this or not???" and see that there is a need for this kind of special class, that it won't happen. I was trying to do this not just for me, but for anyone else that could benefit. I'm not holding my breath. I've accepted that I will just be taking the test at the BMV. My temp card expires the middle of May, so I was trying to get something together before then.

If I do hear anything, I will post.

Old February 6th, 2019, 05:29 PM   #12
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
@Fifthwheelman I was shocked to get an email from Ken Brown today. He said he is looking to schedule a small class for me and whoever else I know that is interested. He asked if late April or early May would work. Early May is best for me, since late April might be blacked out at work due to Easter.

Would early May work for you?

Would anyone else here be interested in joining us for this? If so, let me know!

Old February 6th, 2019, 09:59 PM   #13
Fifthwheelman
2-18 wheels

Early May 11-12 weekend works for me weekdays are impossible as is May 4-5 weekend. Sorry I’m complicated to schedule around

Old February 12th, 2019, 06:49 PM   #14
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifthwheelman View Post
Early May 11-12 weekend works for me weekdays are impossible as is May 4-5 weekend. Sorry I’m complicated to schedule around
the 2 class dates he's offering are both a wed/sat/sun. if it's not something you can do, I understand how hectic life can get. I found out that the other kid got tired of waiting and signed up for a class in March. Even if you could do it, finding anyone else interested is proving to be difficult.

So, if you can't do it, it's all good. I can take my test at the BMV.

Old February 13th, 2019, 10:46 AM   #15
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Don't know if this is possible but you could put something on Craigslist or a local-preferably free- news paper to get more people to respond. Once all the "regular" classes fill up you would have no issue finding people to fill out the class if its not too late by then. Also you might let the local bike shops know as they see more riders that may be interested
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2019, 04:36 PM   #16
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
It has been posted here, Ohio Riders, my Facebook, shared by a State 8 sales guy on his page that he has for his customers, he also said he would pass it along to the other sales guys.

It's not really a huge deal to me. As was stated in the original post, it was an idea suggested by one of my cleaning customers. In my opinion, it's probably not that there wouldn't be anyone interested in doing it, it's just that people that have these types of issues don't tend to speak up about it/want to admit it. Especially men, and when it comes to riding motorcycles you are dealing with more men than women.

I'm going to wait another day (I'm supposed to let Ken know asap), and then I will explain the situation to Ken to see what he says. Either way, I've already planned to get riding as soon as the weather allows. I'll the just practice the drills on the test until I can do them in my sleep and go to the BMV if I have to.

Old February 14th, 2019, 04:37 PM   #17
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
it's just that people that have these types of issues don't tend to speak up about it/want to admit it. Especially men

choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2019, 05:24 PM   #18
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
I'm just going by my experience, yours may be different. I can't say I've known too many guys that are willing to openly admit that they have issues emotionally or mentally to people they aren't super close to. It's still considered being "weak." Heck, it was hard for me to explain my anxiety issues to people I had never met before. It's one thing to talk about it online, totally different in person.