ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old November 5th, 2018, 12:55 AM   #1
Darksik
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 99' Suzuki Katana 600 (RIP)

[Question] best way to repair cracked fairing

Hi guys i want to repair the craked fairing from my ninja, also my ninja got a hole in some places, also scratches, i want to repair that, because in alot of pages say about 2 tubes (1 white and 1 gray) but only work with abs plastic or something like that, somebody know what matterial is our original ninja fairings?

Also if someone have a tutorial, how to apply that.

Ps: sorry for my bad english
Darksik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2018, 04:48 AM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Here you go:

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42690

Yes, the OEM fairings are ABS plastic, so you want ABS plastic cement. This is nasty stuff (don't get it on your skin or on the good part of the fairing) that melts the plastic and actually does weld it together. Once the solvents evaporate what's left is ABS exactly like the the fairing. Solid plastic.

I don't know where you'd find it in Mexico. We have large hardware/home repair stores here in the US. I got this at Home Depot.

This works for cracks and is thick enough to fix very small holes, but won't fill big ones. It is not suitable for scratches. It is ONLY to weld plastic together.

The tighter-fitting the crack, the better the repair will look. The crack I fixed was very clean and tight, so it came out almost invisible. On a rougher or larger crack, the repair will show.

The "two tubes" stuff you've found is epoxy. That will work too but ABS cement is better for fixing clean cracks.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2018, 06:12 AM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Agreeing with everything Gort posted above, I'll add that I'd probably try to reinforce the crack with something on the inside. Maybe a piece of ABS cemented on, or maybe some fiberglass cloth coated with ABS cement. It may not be necessary but if it's a high-stress area, it would be a good idea.

Your English is good David, much better than my Spanish.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote