ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old April 6th, 2017, 03:14 AM   #1
Linkin
Down Under

Name: Linkin

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki ZXR250C Ninja

Back again with a ZXR250C

My latest ride which I will keep until I get my full license next year. Another little 250cc inline 4 pot screamer, this one redlines at 19,000rpm.

There are A/B/C/D models for the ZXR250. A models are 1988-1991 and are 45HP motors. B models are a rare race spec version with different CDI, cams, carbs and a closer ratio box from 1st to 3rd gear. C models are 1993-2004, have 40HP and were made in both Japan and Malaysia. D model is just a C model with the B model race-spec bits. Due to Japanese law, you get funny things like "speed lights" that light up at 80KM/h (easy to fix, remove the bulb), 40HP/32KW restrictions from 1993 onwards, and some bikes have electronic/CDI limitation to 180KM/h.

Mine is a 1999 built in Malaysia as it has safety stickers in Malaysian and has made in Malaysia stamped all over its bits and pieces. I've also had it up to 200KM/h indicated on the speedo while at the track so I don't think its restricted, apart from being a 40HP motor.

Pictures of as it was when I got it. It needed a service including valve shim adjustment which I gone done at work, since I work for a motorcycle shop now I also got the timing chain and notoriously crap tensioner done (used a GPX250 one)

The carbs needed work (which I did at home) as there was a flat spot between 6k-8k RPM. The carbs have vacuum lines/vacuum fuel tap and the seals between each carb body are known to go brittle and fail. I replaced them, but I had to fight overtightened JIS screws (aka Japanesive phillips, but its not a phillips. If the screw head has a dimple, it's JIS and you need special JIS screwdrivers or you'll make a mess of the heads) to get the carbs apart.

After that I got an aftermarket exhaust, the stock one makes an incredibly dull wheezing, aftermarket much better

Link to original page on YouTube.

The plastic tubes on the tank are for the voltage reg/rec, which lives under the fuel tank. Mine had deteriorated so I got new ones, along with a new reg/rec

New rear tyre put on & balanced at work... fun fact... its an 18" rear rim, which limits tyre choice... I can potentially use a ZXR400 rim or ZR250 Balius rim which are both 17"

And just recently, some orange rim tape and ninja stickers to match the decals on the tank

Linkin is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old April 6th, 2017, 05:55 AM   #2
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
nice one, wish we could get them here in the states.
taz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2017, 07:07 AM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Yes, very cool bike. I wonder what was done to restrict the HP to 40. Sometimes it's something very simple, as opposed to different cams, for example.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2017, 12:31 AM   #4
Linkin
Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Yes, very cool bike. I wonder what was done to restrict the HP to 40. Sometimes it's something very simple, as opposed to different cams, for example.
Almost all of the 250cc inline 4's were restricted via different cams and different rev limits for 1993. For example the late FZR250R's only rev to 16,500 instead of 18,500. But that said the 40HP bikes are still great to ride and a bit less peaky, they make a tad more torque down low

On the Yamahas you can run an earlier cylinder head and cdi box to get 45HP back, as the bottom end is the same, I've done it.

On the Hondas you wire in a resistor to disable the 180KM/h limiter, and you can probably run an earlier cylinder head and cdi box as well.

The ZXR's however have different bore & stroke from the A to C models so I don't think it's possible to run an earlier cylinder head.

But really if you need more power you either spend a fortune on performance mods like bigger valves, port & polish, bigger bore/stroking etc or just buy a bigger bike.

I'd love to get an older kwaka 600 motor/loom and see if I can stuff it in the 250's frame

Old April 7th, 2017, 07:05 AM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Thanks, interesting information.

One of the guys here put a Banshee engine in his 250. It's quite an interesting bike.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2017, 03:45 AM   #6
Linkin
Down Under

Haven't been on here in a while. Lost my license for 6 months back in May for having too much fun and getting caught doing it. The irony is that I've had bigger more powerful bikes before the nanny state deems you worthy, yet lost my license on a bike I'm actually licensed for.

The 'prison colony' mentality is alive and well.

In any case, I got the new tyre scrubbed in before that happened.

Paid a lot of money for this plate...

Since then I stashed the bike at work and have been doing work on it during the weekends.

When syncing the carbs, I sprayed brake cleaner at the vacuum lines and boots... all stuffed...

New boots and trimmed the ends of the vac lines

Got myself some serious tools sorted for work

Signs of reg/rect problems...

New Shindengen SH847 mosfet / non-shunting reg/rec. Too bad my stator was also shorted out and is off being rewound

I have also ditched the old style coils, leads and spark plug caps for Ninja 300 coil on plug units. Still running a wasted spark setup until I figure out a programmable ignition of some sort. Long term project.

That's it for that bike... but I bought a second one!

Problems... it has an oil leak from the front sprocket. Overtightened chain I suspect. In any case it's an engine out and apart to fix it. I bought a 2nd hand spare motor and am slowly doing the required servicing on it.

Cam cover off and cams out. Bit of gouging on the cover, caused by the ****** cam chain tensioners. To be replaced with a new GPX250 unit on the way.

Clearances... way too tight... though this motor was sold to me as running by someone I know and trust, so hopefully the new shims I put in will make it run better once the motors are swapped out.

Old September 18th, 2017, 11:09 AM   #7
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Your tool box is beautiful! Glad you'll have your bikes back on the road soon.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2017, 01:18 AM   #8
Linkin
Down Under

New vs old stator. Also had a short in the loom that was draining the battery. Bypassed loom for the new stator. Now headlight is out, need to wire it into ignition switch with new relay and fuse

Old December 19th, 2017, 04:26 AM   #9
Linkin
Down Under

Back on the road with repairs done and enjoying riding again

My mate's CBR250RR

At the pub with more mates

Old December 19th, 2017, 05:48 AM   #10
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkin View Post
My latest ride which I will keep until I get my full license next year. Another little 250cc inline 4 pot screamer, this one redlines at 19,000rpm.

There are A/B/C/D models for the ZXR250. A models are 1988-1991 and are 45HP motors. B models are a rare race spec version with different CDI, cams, carbs and a closer ratio box from 1st to 3rd gear. C models are 1993-2004, have 40HP and were made in both Japan and Malaysia. D model is just a C model with the B model race-spec bits. Due to Japanese law, you get funny things like "speed lights" that light up at 80KM/h (easy to fix, remove the bulb), 40HP/32KW restrictions from 1993 onwards, and some bikes have electronic/CDI limitation to 180KM/h.

Mine is a 1999 built in Malaysia as it has safety stickers in Malaysian and has made in Malaysia stamped all over its bits and pieces. I've also had it up to 200KM/h indicated on the speedo while at the track so I don't think its restricted, apart from being a 40HP motor.

Pictures of as it was when I got it. It needed a service including valve shim adjustment which I gone done at work, since I work for a motorcycle shop now I also got the timing chain and notoriously crap tensioner done (used a GPX250 one)

The carbs needed work (which I did at home) as there was a flat spot between 6k-8k RPM. The carbs have vacuum lines/vacuum fuel tap and the seals between each carb body are known to go brittle and fail. I replaced them, but I had to fight overtightened JIS screws (aka Japanesive phillips, but its not a phillips. If the screw head has a dimple, it's JIS and you need special JIS screwdrivers or you'll make a mess of the heads) to get the carbs apart.

After that I got an aftermarket exhaust, the stock one makes an incredibly dull wheezing, aftermarket much better

Link to original page on YouTube.

The plastic tubes on the tank are for the voltage reg/rec, which lives under the fuel tank. Mine had deteriorated so I got new ones, along with a new reg/rec

New rear tyre put on & balanced at work... fun fact... its an 18" rear rim, which limits tyre choice... I can potentially use a ZXR400 rim or ZR250 Balius rim which are both 17"

And just recently, some orange rim tape and ninja stickers to match the decals on the tank

DANG! I want one!

Bill

Old December 19th, 2017, 06:58 PM   #11
ninja250r81
ninjette.org guru

Name: scott

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250r se

Nice

On another note need more zxr400 in australia
ninja250r81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2017, 07:34 PM   #12
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Very nice ride!
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2017, 08:28 PM   #13
AchyGrappler
Motorbike Obsessed

Name: Me

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Kawasaki EX250, 2004 Yamaha FZ1, 2006 Honda CRF 450 Flat Track Race Bike

Pretty bike, I'd love to give an inline 4, 250cc a go.

Old January 4th, 2018, 01:00 AM   #14
Linkin
Down Under

I finally got out and did some riding on new years eve... roads deserted and no cops around

And I thought this graffiti where I parked my bike today was cool, so I snapped a pic

Old January 4th, 2018, 11:46 AM   #15
CaliGrrl

Lovely!

Old May 9th, 2018, 04:53 AM   #16
Linkin
Down Under

New rear disc and pads, replaced missing anti rattle spring

Got a bubble screen fitted. I can see my instruments now

Went Riding

Bonus: Honda CBR250RR

More mechanical stuff... forks seals & steering head bearings

Did my first track day a while back - hooked

Had the tank and airbox off to replace the crank breather vent

Pulled the carbs and found a diaphragm cap screw missing - it was sitting between the intake manifolds... fixed that.

Also modified the slides, drilled an additional 2.5mm hole next to the existing one. Improves throttle response between idle - 6k rpm. Supposed to use heavier diaphragm springs as per the ZXR400 race prep manual but I haven't got any yet. Haven't had any issues.

Still chasing the 7k rpm flat spot, all air leaks have been fixed and I have tuned and balanced the bike... only things remaining are the airbox itself and the fresh air vacuum valve. There is no secondary air system and I wouldn't touch it anyway.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 9th, 2018, 06:59 AM   #17
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkin View Post
New rear disc and pads, replaced missing anti rattle spring

Got a bubble screen fitted. I can see my instruments now

Went Riding

Bonus: Honda CBR250RR

More mechanical stuff... forks seals & steering head bearings

Did my first track day a while back - hooked

Had the tank and airbox off to replace the crank breather vent

Pulled the carbs and found a diaphragm cap screw missing - it was sitting between the intake manifolds... fixed that.

Also modified the slides, drilled an additional 2.5mm hole next to the existing one. Improves throttle response between idle - 6k rpm. Supposed to use heavier diaphragm springs as per the ZXR400 race prep manual but I haven't got any yet. Haven't had any issues.

Still chasing the 7k rpm flat spot, all air leaks have been fixed and I have tuned and balanced the bike... only things remaining are the airbox itself and the fresh air vacuum valve. There is no secondary air system and I wouldn't touch it anyway.
Simply eloquent! You need to take this sport of motorcycling a-lot more seriously.

Bill

Old May 10th, 2018, 08:44 AM   #18
steiny
ninjette.org member

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): Zrx1100,ZRX1200, C14, CRF100's,KLX400

Very cool bike , Wish I could get one here ,
steiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2018, 01:58 AM   #19
Linkin
Down Under

Been off riding, wore out the tyres and the chain and sprockets went crusty, so time for some more bike love. Adjusted the steering head for the final time, cleaned air filter, etc

Old June 3rd, 2018, 03:58 AM   #20
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
awesome.

Old June 3rd, 2018, 09:23 AM   #21
CaliGrrl

Looking good!

Old June 5th, 2018, 09:04 PM   #22
jcgss77
Its not a 250,its a Ninja

Name: Shaun

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja Kaw, '22 CFMOTO 300NK

Man, that bike is gorgeous! I love/hate every time we hear of a new thread where some lucky person lands one of these. No ZRX250 love over here stateside.
jcgss77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2018, 02:13 AM   #23
Linkin
Down Under

Went out and scrubbed in the new tyres a while ago

Love this shot. Throttle pinned and the rear squatted down

And just before that

My favourite two shots

And was busy avoiding these guys...

Then the bike turned evil on me

Old July 7th, 2018, 02:28 AM   #24
Linkin
Down Under

It's tax time in Australia, so got my return sorted and refund in my account.

I had enough to cover for some parts I've been meaning to order in preparation for a minor engine refresh

So, the list is as follows.

Rings, wrist pins, circlips and gaskets
Clutch basket
Manual CCT
New slip on exhaust
New dash bulbs

Plan to do the clutch first, then see if I can pull the head and barrels off without dropping the engine. Some minor head work / porting may be on the table. Going with standard size rings for now, but if an overbore is required I will do it.

I've already replaced the standard lead acid battery (about 3kg) with an ultralite lithium weighing in at a whopping 700 grams... when the bike weighs 141kg it is a big weight saving.

Old November 24th, 2018, 05:01 AM   #25
Linkin
Down Under

Been a while, done a whole heap of stuff including rebuilding the top end, so I'll just dump the photos

Dyno run without a tune, has since been tuned and am going back to the dyno as soon as I can.

Old November 24th, 2018, 08:01 AM   #26
steiny
ninjette.org member

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): Zrx1100,ZRX1200, C14, CRF100's,KLX400

Great looking work ,
steiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2018, 05:27 PM   #27
Z1R rider

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
I'm Kawasaki green with envy!

Old September 4th, 2023, 03:39 PM   #28
marchant.oliver
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ollie

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Suzuki GSX250r

zxr250c or 650cc as second bike?

Just asking someone with a bit of experience with the zxr's, as someone pretty new to the scene on a modern p twin 250 I'm trying to decide between going for a really nice classic 4pots like the zxr250c (I've found one that's in good condition) or going for a newer 650cc. What's the sort of costs of maintenance on something like yours? What do you reckon a better option would be?
marchant.oliver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2023, 08:11 AM   #29
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Depends on what you are looking for in bike.

If you want revvy lightweight bike for track or backroads twisties, ZXR250 will run rings around 650. Nothing can beat them under braking & cornering.

If you want to cruise on motorway @ 150kph all day, 650 is best.

Maintenance costs depends upon availability of parts. If you're in area where these bikes are plentiful and breakers have them, it's cheap. Otherwise you'd have to import from Yahoo Auctions in Japan and shipping gets pricey. Could be anywhere from u$d 1000 to 5000/yr
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2023, 12:52 PM   #30
marchant.oliver
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ollie

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Suzuki GSX250r

Thanks for that I reckon the zxr is the way to go then, I can’t get enough of it on the gsx even though she struggles at speed
marchant.oliver is offline   Reply With Quote