ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Notices

Old October 20th, 2009, 11:32 PM   #81
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Grabbed some of these...
http://cgi.ebay.com/replacement-50mm...item3a5243f876

Replacement leatherette studio-monitor cushioning earcups like those on the popular Sony MDR-V150 so-called "studio monitor" reversible cup headphones.

Let's see if they make a difference! Anyone know what I can use to isolate sound on the back-side to make these effectively earmuff speakers?

FWIW, I saw real "earmuff speakers" on clearance at Harbor Freight, but they were giant hard-shell things that would never fit and, even if they would, I wouldn't trust the quality enough to splice them onto my $280 Bluetooth kit.

BTW, this is what I was talking about modding onto my helmet...
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-app...eractive/8a5b/

It uses a mic and not an audio jack, though (even better... I'll relocate it and I won't have to splice the expensive headset for audio output).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalony View Post
Thanks Steve! Thats alittle f-ing obnoxious.lol
A little?!

Last futzed with by CZroe; October 21st, 2009 at 03:02 AM.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2010, 02:10 PM   #82
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Well, Ryan (cameroz1985) helped me with the last piece of my puzzle... I'll be ordering slow-recovery memory foam (the stuff disposable earplugs are usually made of) to fill in the speaker-pocket area of my helmet. The idea is that it will protect my already-bad hearing AND allow me to hear my kit better while making it easier to get my helmet on. I currently have the speaker pockets stuffed with crinkle-free facial tissue but the earcups pressed against my head fold my ears down when putting on my helmet. I can just correct this with my glasses, but being able to just push on the speakers just before sliding into the helmet will be much less trouble.

Oh, and FWIW, I uploaded a quick little Parrot SK-4000-related video to YouTube today...

Link to original page on YouTube.

Just a little nit-pick. I'm saving the interresting stuff until I have completed my custom helmet.

After the first pair from eBay arrived with a URL for more, I actually ordered a couple more sets of 50mm earcups because my sister's dog shredded the foam on my Sony DR-BT22 Bluetooth headphones and they happened to fit perfectly. Now they look and feel better than ever with less distracting noise, though I had to hide the chew marks in the plastic band with electrical tape. Oh, and I had to run a bent coat hangar wire piece along the inside of the folding band and basically removed the folding feature.

One of the ear loops on my old Logitech Freepulse heaphones (also A2DP Bluetooth) was stretched/loose so, even though it looks funny, I threw the extra ones on those and asked my sister if she prefers them with or withoout them. She chose "with." *shrug*

Old February 2nd, 2010, 04:35 PM   #83
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 1000 - 2011, Ninja H2 SX SE - 2018

The only music I listen to is the sound of my exhaust.
jonthechron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2010, 09:32 AM   #84
CZroe
CPT Falcon

I thought I'd update a few things here. My Parrot SK-4000 now works great with Pandora Radio or any other iPhone A2DP source thanks to a little unofficial app called "Music Controls" and jailbreaking!

The problem is that it will not switch from the A2DP source as long as an A2DP audio stream is active. What it will do is send a Pause/Stop AVRCP command and then attempt to switch, but if it doesn't stop it will never switch. On an iPhone, only the iPod player responds to AVRCP Play/Pause/Stop commands, meaning that if I was listening to, say, Internet radio instead, I'd be stuck listening to whatever non-iPod audio source for the rest of the ride, unable to even switch to phone or radio.

The handlebar remote doesn't actually have a "Play/Pause" button... it simply sends the signal when you switch to or from the A2DP audio source using the mode button (Phone>Radio>Bluetooth audio>Auxiliary>...).

Anyway, I've always used Music Controls with GlovePod so that I could control playback with the physical buttons because the iPhone doesn't support Next/Previous Track AVRCP commands, even in the iPod app. That's because they don't want to lose the royalties that HiFi dock makers pay for interfacing through the dock. They wouldn't have to pay a single cent to Apple if it was all done through A2DP/AVRCP! It also lets you control other audio apps as if they were the iPod app, including Pandora Radio, LastFM, I [Heart] Radio, etc. It fully integrates these apps as if you were listening to the iPod app including pop-up and lockscreen controls, song info, album art, etc. The free version only supports Pandora Radio, but that's all I regularly used anyway.

So I've been using it for those features all along and now I find that it has updated NOT ONLY allowing AVRCP to work with all other apps (not just iPod), but also bringing FULL AVRCP support with Next/Previous track! Screw Apple's limitations. I can finally use my handlebar remote's next/previous track buttons!

FWIW, right after I discovered this, Apple announced that other audio apps can have lockscreen info and controls in the upcomming iPhone OS4, so I assume that they'd start supporting Play/Pause/Stop too but, for me, Music Controls is still worth it for NT/PT AVRCP alone!

It doesn't seem to work in the trial version... the author implies that it isn't intentional but I don't believe him. I don't blame him either if the next iPhone OS is going to render most of the other important functions obsolete (it still allows other cool stuff like controls in the status bar and scrolling info). That said, I happily paid my $5 to fix Apple's flaws and get better compatibility with my Parrot SK4000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I'm using iPhone OS 3.0 with my iPhone 3G and Parrot SK4000 helmet kit and have been since Beta 4. FWIW, the original iPhone still needs an A2DP adapter. Anyone want to buy mine?
New info: Original iPhone users can now jailbreak and download an unofficial app to correct this too. Get "A2DP Enabler" and stick it to Apple! All that crap about it not supporting A2DP due to different hardware: LIES! All this does is force it on. It doesn't do any other work that Apple wasn't willing to do to make it compatible. It just works. Don't let those cheats force an artificial upgrade cycle on you.

Old November 13th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #85
Buffalony
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

Sorry took so long. between work and designing the exhaust haven't really been on the forum much lately. Pic of the exhaust still in progress at the end. Enjoy

Old November 14th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #86
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Sorry took so long. between work and designing the exhaust haven't really been on the forum much lately. Pic of the exhaust still in progress at the end. Enjoy

[*snip*]
It's not like stereo separation matters much with a helmet on, so how well do you think one mounted under the windscreen would work?

Old November 14th, 2010, 03:35 PM   #87
Buffalony

Quote:
It's not like stereo separation matters much with a helmet on, so how well do you think one mounted under the windscreen would work?
One would work fine. Their pretty loud without distortion. might be some sounds missing from a stereo track.

Old November 14th, 2010, 08:45 PM   #88
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
One would work fine. Their pretty loud without distortion. might be some sounds missing from a stereo track.
I'd wire both channels to one speaker.

Thanks.

Old November 18th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #89
Buffalony

Quote:
I'd wire both channels to one speaker.

Thanks.
I wouldnt. Might blow it or maybe overheat the amp.

Old November 18th, 2010, 06:25 PM   #90
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
I wouldnt. Might blow it or maybe overheat the amp.
I'm talking about from the source. Like a stereo to mono RCA cable.

Old November 19th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #91
Buffalony

Quote:
I'm talking about from the source. Like a stereo to mono RCA cable.
Gotcha.

Old December 10th, 2010, 05:05 AM   #92
hackeron
ninjette.org member

Name: Roman

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r (2009)

This seems to be a very clean install

hackeron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2010, 12:51 PM   #93
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackeron View Post
He's got an Insignia player with A2DP (stereo Bluetooth) and yet he's using wires.

Old December 26th, 2010, 01:53 PM   #94
Buffalony

thats a really nice little system. I'd like to see those speakers installed on a ninjette though.

Old March 4th, 2011, 05:52 AM   #95
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
Now think about how fast your reaction time is to sound factoring in how much slower sound is than light. Putting the speakers further from your ears makes alittle more sense it not being the first thing you hear.
This quote is legendary.

I can't stand stereos on bikes, even on goldwings. They're absolutely obnoxious. Worse than the ghetto thumpers you hear. The best solution would probably be the in helmet speakers.
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2011, 01:52 PM   #96
Buffalony

glad you liked it. shouldve quoted all of it instead of a snip. wouldve made more sense.

I guess the main point altogether is that its plain old stupid to ride with headphones in your ears in/on any vehicle. Sound direction can be determined better if you dont have a source directly in your ear period.

I know if sound is coming from the speakers infront of me or if something is coming from behind me. I dont have to take extra time needed to process where its coming from like one does with speakers at their ears.

Why care so much about speakers on a bike? What about someone out crusing on a highway listening to their music bothers you? I can understand if someone has their music blairing in the middle of public on a populated street. I see more people doing that in cages than on bikes!

That has more to do with disturbing the peace. I turn it down when its inorder.

Old July 9th, 2011, 03:24 PM   #97
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

Quote:
I turn it down when its inorder.
If everyone behaved this way no one would care whether people have sound systems or not on their vehicles and we would all be happier.
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 04:53 PM   #98
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Quote:
A car has a cabin...a bike ______!
The world is your cabin

Old July 13th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #99
Buffalony

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusninja View Post
The world is your cabin
+1

Wearing earplugs thread ties in with this thread.
Earplug thread link:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...t=10209&page=7

"I've been riding with the Medium sized Surefire EP3's for months now. Best thing I ever bought.

Much better than simply cranking up my in-helmet speakers so cancel out the wind noise I did for a year.

I have a slight tinnitus in my right ear, now. Don't **** around with your hearing." - Ramen

I really hope no one else is doing this. This is a fast and easy way to damage your hearing. Do whatever it takes to actually eliminate wind noise in your helmet. Dont just turn up the music and ignore it! Wear earplugs or get a helmet skirt. Even foam sealing earbuds.

Protect your hearing no matter what playback device you choose.

Old February 25th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #100
bbjminardo
ninjette.org member

Name: Minardo

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Black Ninja 250r

Question Much Hated - Speakers and Amp on a bike - Pro and Cons

http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Storm-La...cm_rdp_product

Found these water proof speakers for 50 bucks, good reviews and won't be getting this soon if I do end up getting it but wanting to hear peoples thoughts and pros/cons.

Pros for me:
Listen to music on a little cruise.
Adds a unique feature.
Cheap.
Very rewarding mod.

Cons:
Shouldn't be listening to music and concentrate on your ride?
I don't know if it would screw with the battery?
Can't think of much cons...

Thanks for your input!
bbjminardo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2013, 10:53 PM   #101
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

/merged

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2013, 07:19 AM   #102
Cringer
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250

I wear a helmet with built in Bluetooth and speakers, as well as ear plugs to help with the wind. If I'm approaching heavy traffic, I turn down or off the music, and I can actually hear the motor better. At highway speeds having the ear plugs in.

It's well and good that people don't care what others think, but I do. I'm not suggesting that the op will blast his music at ungodly levels, but some would just to be asshats. Same with the "loud pipes save lives" crowd (they don't, by the way). Nothing like having family time at the park only to have some jerk putt slowly up to the playground and then choose to roll on the throttle to disrupt everyone just so he can look cool.

I guess my point is, is that right or wrong, people will judge a group by the worst element in it, because that's who sticks out in their mind and who they remember. They remember the atv riders who tear up fields, not the ones who stay on the trails. They remember the 18-wheeler that cut them off, not the hundreds that went by with no incident. The same way they'll think of all bikers as the guy who rides recklessly or has ridiculously loud pipes (or music) playing.

Just my 5¢ worth seeing as we got rid of the penny in Canada.

Besides, shouldn't a Ninja be stealthy?

Old February 26th, 2013, 09:16 AM   #103
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjminardo View Post
Cons:
It's a friggin sport bike. That's just unnecessary weight.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #104
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Name: Melashi

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 StreetFighter ~~~~ 2005 KTM 450 EXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Same with the "loud pipes save lives" crowd (they don't, by the way). Nothing like having family time at the park only to have some jerk putt slowly up to the playground and then choose to roll on the throttle to disrupt everyone just so he can look cool.
They actually do save alot off motorcyclists lives or prevent crashes, i would not ride a ninjette with the stock exhaust. Imagine your in a blind spot and some retard slides over because he didn't see you or hear you? I can safely say that has never happened to me, people even tend to move more to the side of their lane or even out of my way because they simply hear me without even seeing me.

Now dont get me wrong, there are douche bag squids who rev their bikes and go up to 9 thousand rpms in first gear in a neighborhood to make 5 year olds playing ball look at them.

Old February 26th, 2013, 05:57 PM   #105
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletmo View Post
They actually do save alot off motorcyclists lives or prevent crashes, i would not ride a ninjette with the stock exhaust.
I beg to differ sir.

Watch 2:30 of this video. Notice how when the CBR passes the first motard, you immediately cannot hear him? Ever wonder why a horn is always on the front of a car or truck or train? Ever notice how a bike is louder after it has gone by you?

No matter how obnoxiously loud your bike is, the noise maker is still pointing backwards.

Old February 26th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #106
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
They actually do save alot off motorcyclists lives or prevent crashes, i would not ride a ninjette with the stock exhaust.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #107
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Just did some research on that, and wow there is like a whole argument about this lol. Never knew it was a big deal, people got sued because of loud pipes in a neighborhood?! And i get what your saying about it going all backwards, but are you saying you cant hear it from a blind spot area, which is right next to the car? If so, i need to test that lol. I just cant imagine no one hearing me from that close with a Tb, yoshi, or area p exhuast.

Old February 26th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #108
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
are you saying you cant hear it from a blind spot area, which is right next to the car?
Yes.

Go sit in a car. Drive at 45+ with the windows up, the fan on medium, and the radio at a comfortable volume. Combine that with concentrating on driving and BAM! the motorcycle who's front wheel is even with your back tire is now invisible.

Cars have a ton of sound deadening material in them. Just to show you how bad this can be, here's an article on some new cars which are so isolated from the noise of the road, that they have to use various methods of making the exhaust heard by the driver, including playing their own exhaust noises through the speakers in the car.

Loud pipes do nothing to warn drivers of you and your motorcycle occupying their blind spot.

Last futzed with by choneofakind; February 27th, 2013 at 08:50 AM.

Old February 26th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #109
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Yes.

Go sit in a car. Drive at 45+ with the windows up, the fan on medium, and the radio at a comfortable volume. Combine that with concentrating on driving and BAM! the motorcycle who's front wheel is even with your back tire is now invisible.

Cars have a ton of sound deadening material in them. Just to show you how bad this can be, here's an article on some new cars which are so isolated from the noise of the road, that they have to use various methods of making the exhaust not heard by the driver, including playing their own exhaust noises through the speakers in the car so they can be heard by the driver.

Loud pipes do nothing to warn drivers of you and your motorcycle occupying their blind spot.
Wow that is actually quite amazing, ill have to try that out one day but i can see how that makes sense. Ill make my report on this experiment once ive had the chance to ride next to someone on a bike while im in a car.

Old February 27th, 2013, 06:53 AM   #110
Cringer
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250

Looks like Choneofakind said everything i was going to. So Instead, I give you this (because I find them funny):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beyonce-super-bowl-meme-funny-faces.jpg (51.9 KB, 6 views)