Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Notices

Old September 24th, 2020, 07:15 PM   #1
LGarland619
Woman Ridah

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 1000, 2015 Ninja 250,

Custom Hearing Protection Recommendation Needed

Hello, I have a hearing condition called hyperacusis and I've been looking for the best hearing protection/earbuds combo I can get. I avoid going out this time because I am a bit of a paranoid when it comes to getting COVD19. So... I just want to know if anyone here tried buying from this website? They are called Big Ear and they offer home service for molding your ears for custom hearing protection and then they'll mail the product within a few weeks. They also do have instructions for DIY molding where they'll send a molding kit then you'll mold your ears and send back the kit with the molds. Some of their products are really intriguing and of course, I'd love to know if anyone here tried their products yet.

Any other recommendations?

Link to original page on YouTube.

By the way, how do I change my avatar?

LGarland619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2020, 07:31 PM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
For highest attenuation, I like to use silicone ear-plugs.

These are denser than foam and blocks a lot more. And they’re soft enough to conform to inner shape of ears. I get them from shooting shops.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2020, 09:12 PM   #3
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
I have bought several sets of plain plugs and speaker plugs from plugup.com and am very happy.

Old September 25th, 2020, 05:48 AM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
You can get inexpensive custom molding kits to make your own from places like Amazon and eBay. I've tried them and they work well, but I find that the disposable expanding foam type is more comfortable inside a helmet that pushes my ears around a bit.

This is an example. I bought mine years ago and don't remember where I got them.
https://www.amazon.com/Radians-Custo...1038064&sr=8-5
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2020, 02:55 PM   #5
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGarland619 View Post
By the way, how do I change my avatar?
Go to top of page, click on "User CP" -> On left-column, click on "Edit Profile Picture" -> then Browse button -> locate picture you want to upload -> highlight picture -> Ok -> SaveChanges
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2020, 07:00 AM   #6
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

I have a comment and a question.

Comment: just so you know, a custom molded ear plug is never going to have as high of a NRR dB reduction as good old foam plugs. Maybe close, but not quite 33 dB which is the best you can get. Also note anyone selling you ear plugs higher than 33 dB is lying. For me, Mack's Ultra Soft are all day comfortable.

Question: Some people with hyperacusis have dizziness and imbalance. A small percentage have vertigo to the point where they can't drive. You ride motorcycles, so is it safe to say you don't have any of that? Is your case considered mild? I don't have it but I know people.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 26th, 2020, 09:33 PM   #7
SibSerge
ninjette.org member

Name: Sergey

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ZZR250 (EX250H)

I am very sensitive to noise (nothing medical just playing piano musical past).

I use foam plugs from home depot and I find they provide pretty good attenuation. Better than the plugs I got from a shooting store. I roll them between the fingers to reduce the diameter and then place them in. They expand and plug the canal quite well. I do not have to place them deep.
SibSerge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2020, 06:10 AM   #8
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I had custom earplugs made when I was competing in the shooting sports, but they were never comfortable enough to wear for extended periods for me - but I'd say I have sensitive ears.

I wore the standard foam earplugs (smooth tapered shape, not the barrel type) for 12 hours straight on a roadtrip without any discomfort.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2020, 08:45 AM   #9
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

Good old foam earplugs are going to give you the best NRR. If you really desire a custom molded piece, I would suggest https://www.pilotstuff.com/averysound/

You should probably go with deep impression earpieces, which you can't do with a DIY kit. Avery Sound sends you an "order form" which you take to any audiologist and they will do the impressions for you. Good ones will give you a free redo if they don't work, or the earpieces don't fit. Around me, it's about $70 to get the impressions, prices vary, call around.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2020, 12:19 PM   #10
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

I swear by these. I ride and shoot with them.

https://www.surefire.com/products/ea...ers-ultra-max/

30DB reduction and I can wear them all day and they never get uncomfortable.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2021, 08:36 AM   #11
bigBug
ninjette.org member

Name: rossi

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

I have samsung buds+. Work pretty well under helmet and they are affordable.
bigBug is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2023, 05:11 AM   #12
Rickybob
ninjette.org member

Name: jasper

Motorcycle(s): none yet

Came across the same problem. Big Ear's home service for custom hearing protection is real find. Their DIY molding kit is user-friendly, and their products offer great protection. I've tried them, and the service was seamless.
Rickybob is offline   Reply With Quote