ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old March 25th, 2015, 11:46 AM   #81
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
/sidebar

@Misti - You gunna be at any of the CSS schools this year?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2015, 11:55 AM   #82
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
The challenge is to not target fixate on any of your RP's for too long and to have a nice smooth flow of information coming in. At first it can feel choppy to be looking from one RP to the next but as you get better at lifting your eyes up to the next one, it begins to smooth out and flow naturally.

What about lifting your eyes up to the "vanishing point." Have you guys heard of that term? What does it mean to look to the vanishing point?
I'm still in that feeling choppy stage, it's very clear and distinct in my video (helmet cam) when I'm changing where I'm looking. I need to get contacts or something to make it easier to only move my eyes rather than my whole head as that would be quicker. That and opening up my vision a bit more aka using more peripheral vision which is a skill I'm working on on the street every time I ride.

The vanishing point is the point where you can no longer see the road in front of you for whatever reason. Reasons including but not limited to elevation change, distance, a cliff or treeline on the inside of the corner blocking your view ahead, or a bike passing you on the inside (or that you are passing on the outside) blocking your view ahead.

To look at the vanishing point is to look at the farthest possible decipherable point ahead in the corner or straight

Old March 25th, 2015, 12:04 PM   #83
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Interesting.... mine is a bit different.

I check my turn in
I check up on the 1st meatball
Turn
Check up on a mark on the track that is about midcorner and in line with the far right edge of the Jennings sign on the embankment
Continue line
I check up on the 2nd meatball
Hook turn a bit
Once I know I am going to hit the 2nd meatball apex I start checking for turn 2's turn in

My line through turn 1 has me sorta squaring off the turn more than others. It would be interesting to see my bp pics for turn 1. 1st meatball vs. 2nd meatball.
Oh I know this mark, you want to be a bit to the left of that if I recall correctly.

You're definitely taking that differently than me and way faster too since it was my worst corner by far. Also, I'm not looking through to turn 2 until about the point that I'm WOT which is a good bit after the 2nd meatball apex.

Side-note: T2 (and 12 but I never got 12 WOT) was intense for me. I wasn't even WOT through it on the 250 last time but managed to get through WOT on the gsx-r a few times in the mock race. My heart was beating like a jackhammer every time I exited T2 after entering WOT or barely checking up going in.

Old March 25th, 2015, 12:13 PM   #84
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Spot on Ben!

Turns 2 and 12 are great for identifying visual skill weaknesses. To many riders, they look pinched or appear to close up (ie, the exit is more narrow than entry). But as you have ridden, those turn's exits are just as wide as the entries. The challenge is to SEE IT!

When you see it, rider's can adjust their turn in point and rate to adjust for a WOT line through the corner. Lazy turning and WOT through turns normally don't work out too well. Until then, SR's will always have the rider rolling off or setting an entry speed that leaves the rider let's just say... wanting a little more.

Old March 25th, 2015, 12:18 PM   #85
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
I may see it but I still question it as I turn in "oh ****, T2 again" *cross fingers* *flies through feeling like a jet doing a flyby* "AWW YISS!!!"

As for "wanting a little bit more" I'm perfectly ok with my speed through T2 and know that it'll increase on it's own next time I'm down there when I figure out T1, which is where I got that "wanting a bit more" feeling

Old March 25th, 2015, 12:21 PM   #86
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
I may see it but I still question it as I turn in "oh ****, T2 again" *cross fingers* *flies through feeling like a jet doing a flyby* "AWW YISS!!!"

Why do you question it? I believe you will find your answer hidden inside your own question and a hint from my previous post.

Old March 25th, 2015, 12:43 PM   #87
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post

Why do you question it? I believe you will find your answer hidden inside your own question and a hint from my previous post.
Visual skills and SRs straight up. I see it visually, I know I can do it but there's a part of me deep down inside questioning that I can do it and I fight the hell out of that SR

Old March 25th, 2015, 03:49 PM   #88
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
It's a weird turn though since it's so long and gradual, it's easy to get lost if you don't focus on each reference point for the right amount of time which is tricky.
Well, ain't that the damn truth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
Excellent. So, how long do you look at each reference point for?

...until you know your bike is pointed there. Don't look at any reference point for too long. And don't skip past one in a turn like corner 1 because, well, you tend to aim for that 2nd meatball too early, and well, oversteer. If you do end up in that situation, for the love of God, do not think, "Oh, ****, I'm too close to the edge." If you do think that, do NOT, whatever little demon takes over, do NOT look at that sand only millimeters from your tire. If you do, those millimeters will disappear mighty quickly, but that moment in time will stay with you permanently.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 28th, 2015, 12:49 PM   #89
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Bump for the start of the riding season and.... a nugget.

If... your cornering and suddenly find the the need to look back at "where you currently are", this is a sign that you need to work on some vision skills. Why do you think this is the case?

Safe cornering ya'lls!

Last futzed with by csmith12; April 28th, 2015 at 02:22 PM.