ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 5th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #1
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Is there a point behind parking ur bike on a rug or raising it?

Hey everyone, lately when I see pictures of bikes in a garage or w.e. its always parked on a rug or raised up on these little bar thingys. Just wondering is there a reason behind this? Is the rug just incase stuff leaks? Or is the rug or raising the bike somehow beneficial to the tires? Sorry for the n00b question. Thanks.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2011, 10:35 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Bike stands are useful when doing maintenance on the bike. Easier to lube the chain, remove/replace wheels/tires as needed, makes for a stable platform when doing any other work.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9810

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #3
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.E View Post
Hey everyone, lately when I see pictures of bikes in a garage or w.e. its always parked on a rug or raised up on these little bar thingys. Just wondering is there a reason behind this? Is the rug just incase stuff leaks? Or is the rug or raising the bike somehow beneficial to the tires? Sorry for the n00b question. Thanks.
I just love those thingys!

Old April 6th, 2011, 07:51 AM   #4
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

I also store mine over winter on the stands to avoid flat spots on the tires. The rug is for added traction on the smooth surface. Not that you'd really need one but we do tend to baby our toys.

Old April 6th, 2011, 10:36 AM   #5
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I'm sure a rug makes it easier on your body when kneeling or laying next to it to work on it. What little I've done was done on the asphalt or cardboard in my condo's parking lot.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 03:53 PM   #6
SSR
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

In the winter time I put my rear tire up on a stand, and I put the front tire on a 2x4, just to get it off the concrete in my garage, which can get really really cold in the winter (-30C/-22F). I don't know what the effects of rubber are of rubber that sits on concrete that long/that cold, but it probably can't be good.

Old April 8th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #7
RedCromwell
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250

A buddy of mine is very particular about his garage. He puts carpet under all his vehicles to catch any leaks... oil, trans fluid, etc..

I use the tire stands only when doing maintenance or washing the bike. Or when I just want to put her on a pedestal and admire her.
RedCromwell is offline   Reply With Quote