ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Old May 27th, 2012, 12:21 PM   #1
pimpybra
ninjette.org member

Name: pimpybra

Motorcycle(s): Yellow 2002 Ninja 250

New wanna-be rider from MD

Howdy, been wanting a bike for about ten years, still don't have one yet though.

When I do get one, there's a very high probability it will be a Ninja 250. Always been a fan of the Ninjas.

Now I just keep waiting until I can get one.... Every year when it gets nice out I start getting excited and thinking This will be the year that I at least go through the MSF.

I'm sick of waiting!
pimpybra is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2012, 12:54 PM   #2
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

pimpybra! Glad to have you aboard...

Old May 27th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #3
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2012, 02:31 PM   #4
Stingray1000

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Where in md? Lots of md de va and pa riders here.
Stingray1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2012, 05:01 PM   #5
pimpybra
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray1000 View Post
Where in md? Lots of md de va and pa riders here.
Eastern Frederick county.

Old May 28th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #6
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

Sup, im in elkridge
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2012, 08:50 PM   #7
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2012, 08:53 PM   #8
pimpybra
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lemon View Post
Sup, im in elkridge
Survive the storms today?

Old June 1st, 2012, 10:05 PM   #9
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

barely, i work at papa johns as a delivery driver
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2012, 05:37 PM   #10
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2012, 05:52 PM   #11
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jo

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Hi welcome... I'm new to riding and this is my first bike, too. I also live in Md, Howard County. The MSF isn't too bad. I have never ever ridden a motorcycle before and I passed the test with no problem. Good luck
Minikin_Jo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2012, 08:27 PM   #12
pimpybra
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minikin_Jo View Post
Hi welcome... I'm new to riding and this is my first bike, too. I also live in Md, Howard County. The MSF isn't too bad. I have never ever ridden a motorcycle before and I passed the test with no problem. Good luck
Where did you do the MSF? Glen Burnie looks the cheapest. I saw them doing it in Frederick at the Harley dealership today.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old June 3rd, 2012, 06:44 AM   #13
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

I did it through Anne Arundel Community College. When I went there in 2009 the had either the Basic Rider Course (which I did) or the Advanced Basic Rider Course (for experienced riders.)
Howard Community College has a great program. They have Those two I just mentioned in addition to the Ansolute Beginners Course, designed for those inexperienced that aren't sure they want to ride and they also have Total Control classes and Extra Practice classes if you need tips and stuff.

Old June 3rd, 2012, 07:33 AM   #14
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

i was in the same boat as you, wanted one since I could first drive. 13 years later, I have my bike. i finally bit the bullet and signed up for the class, and started watching craigslist.

thankfully i picked up my bike 2 days before the class, so there was no wait for me.

at some point, you just need to do it. if you keep saying that you want to, but don't sign up for the class, it's obviously not going to happen.

do your research here, getting on a bike, and buying gear can be expensive, a lot more expensive than most would think. From my experience, I'd recommend used, just do your due diligence. Call the dmv/local police with the vin before you buy to make sure it's not stolen/has a clear title. There's some deals out there with gear, like what I found (modded bike, 2 helmets, jacket, over pants, boots, gloves, saddle bags, tank bag, tail bag, etc.), just be wary of the helmets. I replaced mine within the first month with a nice arai.

that, and welcome!
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2012, 03:09 PM   #15
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

10 years is a LONG time to 'think about' getting a bike and getting licensed. You should at least, in my opinion, do the MSF first and see if you can get licensed, then go get a bike. You never know...maybe riding a bike is just not for you. It's a lot to think about when you're on it, using your hands, feet, thinking about the road conditions, how to react before you get there, expect the unexpected, deal with crazy drivers, etc.

Not trying to sound negative and turn you off from it, but you really should just jump in and see how it goes At least, no matter what the end result is, you'll know you did it!!

Old June 3rd, 2012, 05:03 PM   #16
pimpybra
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
if you keep saying that you want to, but don't sign up for the class, it's obviously not going to happen.
Quote:
10 years is a LONG time to 'think about' getting a bike and getting licensed. You should at least, in my opinion, do the MSF first and see if you can get licensed
Yeah, my first plan for anything is the MSF course before anything further.

It's been pushed off for all sorts of things, like $$$, or moving, getting married, having our first kid in the last year, etc etc. It might happen later this summer (between family vacations), depending on what's available and my schedule.

Yeah, maybe it's excuse after excuse, but even if I do the MSF, there's no funds available in the short term for a bike. There was years ago before 'the real world' set in. I kick myself for not taking the FREE MSF in PA when I was a resident many years ago.

Quote:
You never know...maybe riding a bike is just not for you.
Oh, I"m 99.9999% certain that I'd love riding, it's just one of those things. I can't stop thinking about it recently, this season has been the worst of it so far (obviously being on forums, etc). It's driving me crazy, especially when I see a bike on the road.

But then the big thing is, I don't have a place to PUT a bike when I eventually/hopefully ever get a bike. Single car garage, NO room for a bike

Old June 3rd, 2012, 05:24 PM   #17
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

I understand the timing of things...I got my license in 2009 and following that was our destination wedding so that cost $$ for us, then we had to save to get a down payment on a new home that wasn't even built yet. Then finally we moved in last June, then this year we finally got new furniture for the new home...so I understand that part. I literally have never ridden a motorcycle other than as a passenger and using the bike for the test was the only time and here I am now finally on a bike of my own 2.5 yrs later. But i cant imagine 10 yrs going by lol My coworker did the class with me and he wanted this license so freakin bad and he took the test twice and failed both times. I felt so bad for him, I knew how bad he wanted it but I also felt guilty that here I am a girls girl and I got the license and he didn't. That probably pissed him off even more. Lol

Old June 3rd, 2012, 05:42 PM   #18
pimpybra
ninjette.org member

Quote:
i cant imagine 10 yrs going by
It's depressing when I think how long it's been. I'm going to be 32 this year, and it upsets me that I've 'missed out' on so many years.

Quote:
My coworker did the class with me and he wanted this license so freakin bad and he took the test twice and failed both times. I felt so bad for him, I knew how bad he wanted it but I also felt guilty that here I am a girls girl and I got the license and he didn't. That probably pissed him off even more. Lol
Oh wow, was there a particular part he was getting stuck up on? I would be so depressed/upset!

Old June 4th, 2012, 06:56 AM   #19
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

Well, Chris, if you ask me, 32 is still young and you're hitting the prime of your life. It's like you're in your 20's, only smarter

I'm not really sure what all my coworker had missed on. I do know he missed it by a LONG shot.

Also, I forgot to add, I also have a one car garage. It holds our bikes, holiday decorations and my shoes...

Old June 4th, 2012, 10:33 AM   #20
tony7kp
ninjette.org member

Name: Han

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE

I took the BRC class at Howard Comm College. They have a great program with great instructors and I highly recommend it. Went in with no experience what so ever (didn't even know that the left lever was the clutch and when the instructor asked, I said it was for the front brakes, thinking it was the same as regular bicycles...) and came out of the class with confidence to ride.

Take the class and it'll let you know first of all whether you really want to ride or not. Had a classmate that was so excited to ride, but when it came down to the riding portion, he decided that it wasn't for him and dropped the class. And it'll give you all the basic instruction needed to start riding a bike.
tony7kp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #21
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

I just found out today speaking with my coworker that they made changes to the MSF and that now it's more difficult for people to pass. They've been having students that didn't pass come in for extra practice to prepare for the next time they can test. I'm pretty busy at work today but I'll try to find out what those changes are, unless someone here already knows? I was just curious.

Old June 5th, 2012, 12:56 PM   #22
Stingray1000

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpybra View Post
It's depressing when I think how long it's been. I'm going to be 32 this year, and it upsets me that I've 'missed out' on so many years
Dude im 34 now and started riding in Nov of last year. Trust me i feel your pain. I still look like im 25 so it aint so bad, but the years ive lost i wish i could get back.... my lic was never as good off as it is right now so i guess everything happends for a reason....
Stingray1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #23
pimpybra
ninjette.org member

Well, to revive an semi-old thread... I finally signed up for the MSF course. Next Wed/Thurs/Sat/Sun, I get to do it at the Glen Burnie MVA locale. I just checked today, and they actually had an opening, so I booked it ASAP

Sweeeeeeeeeeet

Old August 14th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #24
Little Green Machine
Love my kittehs!

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
Well, to revive an semi-old thread... I finally signed up for the MSF course. Next Wed/Thurs/Sat/Sun, I get to do it at the Glen Burnie MVA locale. I just checked today, and they actually had an opening, so I booked it ASAP

Sweeeeeeeeeeet
Good luck on the class! Im sure you will do fine!

Old August 14th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #25
ryan.chin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6

Quote:

Sweeeeeeeeeeet
Bro. I took it there. It's really legit, aside from one thing. DO. NOT. BE. LATE. EVER.

I signed up with my good friend and he was LITERALLY 1 minute late to the class because of traffic (I-695 was half closed) and they did not let him retake any of the classes, and he had to wait again to sign up.

If you have any questions about the class, I'd be glad to share.

Old August 14th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #26
pimpybra
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.chin View Post
Bro. I took it there. It's really legit, aside from one thing. DO. NOT. BE. LATE. EVER.

I signed up with my good friend and he was LITERALLY 1 minute late to the class because of traffic (I-695 was half closed) and they did not let him retake any of the classes, and he had to wait again to sign up.

If you have any questions about the class, I'd be glad to share.
Thanks man, I just hope it's not hard to find and I end up wandering around for wherever it is. Let me know otherwise!

Old August 14th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #27
ryan.chin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6

Quote:
Thanks man, I just hope it's not hard to find and I end up wandering around for wherever it is. Let me know otherwise!

It's pretty easy to find, I'd go early, like 45 minutes early. It'll give you time to go and look around. The instructors are really odd, but also interesting.

Old August 15th, 2012, 07:37 AM   #28
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

That's great you're going - and wow, at the MVA even! I've never heard of anyone that was able to get in. Well, my husband took his there, but that was like, a couple decades ago. Haha.

Old August 15th, 2012, 07:57 AM   #29
pimpybra
ninjette.org member

Quote:
That's great you're going - and wow, at the MVA even! I've never heard of anyone that was able to get in. Well, my husband took his there, but that was like, a couple decades ago. Haha.
I checked Glen Burnie a few weeks ago, and the next opening was OCTOBER. Last night, I was actually going to sign up for Frederick's course, but on a whim, I figured I'd check GB's if there were any recent openings...

well that paid off!

Old August 15th, 2012, 07:58 AM   #30
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

Is it cheaper, as far as pricing goes?

Old August 15th, 2012, 08:00 AM   #31
pimpybra
ninjette.org member

Cool

Quote:
Is it cheaper, as far as pricing goes?
Oh definitely, that's why I was excited as well. $175 at GB, versus ~$280 in Frederick Community College, or $325 at the HD dealership. Big savings.

I'm super excited, and this next week until it happens will be torture.

Old August 15th, 2012, 11:22 AM   #32
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

Woah - that's definitely a lot cheaper. Howard Community charges $345 for the Basic Rider Course and $460 for the Absolute Beginner Rider Course. No refunds. Add $10 to the fee if you're an out of county resident.

Old August 15th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #33
jeff.roark
ninjette.org member

Name: Pikachu

Motorcycle(s): Honda CBR250R

Welcome, I'm from MD too - Baltimore County - Once you sign up, the process can move really quickly. It did for me once I started getting excited about riding. It wasn't even a month after taking my course that I had a bike.

Good luck!
jeff.roark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:26 AM   #34
pimpybra
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff.roark View Post
Welcome, I'm from MD too - Baltimore County - Once you sign up, the process can move really quickly. It did for me once I started getting excited about riding. It wasn't even a month after taking my course that I had a bike.

Good luck!
I'm now through one day of the classroom course, which was fun and had good discussion, but didn't really learn much I didn't already know. Still worth it for the open discussion/etc. Still excited for tonight's classroom, and this weekend's on-bike experience! Like a kid waiting for Christmas.

One of the guys in the course signed up for it A DAY BEFORE. We had 2 no-shows/late-arrivals, so 2 people on stand by were able to make it in.

I need to get some gear soon, and while I'd like to go online, some things I just want to try on. Any recommendations for shops around here? Jeff, you show Catonsville, and I work in Woodlawn, anything out this ways?

Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:31 AM   #35
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

I recommend Cycle Gear in Laurel on Rt 1. They have a good selection in the store and lots to try on.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:52 AM   #36
pimpybra
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I recommend Cycle Gear in Laurel on Rt 1. They have a good selection in the store and lots to try on.
Thanks, I don't often make it up to that part of town, but I'll keep note of it.

Looks like there is a Cycle World just 3 minutes north of the Glen Burnie MVA, I might just head down there prior to the class and check that out.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:59 AM   #37
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

I've been there, too. Most places like them have a wide selection of helmets just not in every size and the same goes for jackets. You'll find a few gloves options. I'm sure you'll find something you like but I haven't been in a store that compares to Cycle Gear so you might want to consider a trip down there some day.

It was only a suggestion.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:14 AM   #38
robmilchling
ninjette.org guru

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): '09 Triumph Daytona 675

I just wish cycle gear carried more options beside all of their in house brands. I like that they carry a few higher end options but it always seems like 75% of their inventory is Bilt gear.
robmilchling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:16 AM   #39
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

Yeah, and I wish they'd carry more girl inventory.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:28 PM   #40
jaesun
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), and 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R (multiple winter project)

For some dumb reason, I'm still checking CL and local auctions for Kawasaki 250Rs. It's a habit I haven't quite ended. If you're really interested, I can send of the more promising ones your way. There's currently a beater 2007 on CL out of Gaithersburg for $800 firm. There's another 2007 for $1300 in Silver Spring. I think the owner has it misdiagnosed. It's probably not the starter but a gummed up jet in the carb. But be prepared. These carbs are a major pain.

You'll come across gems every once in awhile at the auctions where charity donations go. I'm still kicking myself for not bidding on a pregen with 2k miles a few months ago. I think it went for $1350 before auction fees. Some of the auctions will take credit cards. Others are cash only.

Eastern Frederick County - like Mt. Airy?
jaesun is offline   Reply With Quote