Old July 2nd, 2017, 11:02 AM   #41
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrottleGirl View Post
Greetings all,

I'm a long-distance motorcycle enthusiast and new to bike building. I'm a fairly skilled and experienced rider, own a motorcycle events company and usually ride about 12-15,000 miles annually. I came off a V-Rod Muscle but being 5'2 and 110 pounds I switched to the smaller (and more powerful) Ducati Diavel. I just made a little bobber out of a Honda Rebel and surprised myself with how well it turned out. Now I'd like to make a scramber-type build using the Ninja 250. This intimidates me very much!

Hopefully I can post pictures of the donor bike tomorrow as I'm looking to buy it this evening. If anyone is interested in the cosmetic fairings and such, let me know as I'll be selling those (very) cheap.

Thanks for having me!
Yikes, a Ducati Diavel! You must be a whirling dervish on the road. Place me on your list for your upper fairing if it's a pre 2008.

Welcome aboard Mate!

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2017, 12:27 PM   #42
ThrottleGirl
ninjette.org member

Name: Samantha

Motorcycle(s): 1993 Ninja 250R, 2013 Ducati Diavel Dark Stealth, 2005 Honda Rebel Bobber

Is that the fairing that goes around the headlight? I can snap some pictures of it, I think that had a crack in it...

And yes, the Diavel is pure wickedness. Makes my old V-Rod Muscle feel like a tricycle. I had it modified a bit to round out the low end lag as emissions just chokes up those engines something terrible. It's a dream now, expect for a rough suspension. Ducati told me it was 'too dangerous' for me to be on stock as I was so far under their target rider weight at 110 pounds. Customs suspension sprung to my weight tamed it so I could actually start scrubbing the rubber off the sides of the tires. Only problem is that I don't really want to take it down a basic dirt road. I think this little Ninja is going to make a gnarley scrambler for out here in Moab. I'm already falling in love with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ducsexy.jpg (86.1 KB, 1 views)

Old July 2nd, 2017, 12:42 PM   #43
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
OK, I found a 130/90-16 dual sport tire. I don't know anything about it other than its size:

http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tube...tires/t11aa93c

Even better, a Trail Wing in 120/90:

http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tube...otorcycle-tire

This Kenda says it's OK for front. It's a 90-100/16, so a little narrower than stock:

http://www.americanmototire.com/cata...oducts_id=2636
Triple Jim is online now   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2017, 12:42 PM   #44
Kestrel
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): DR350, Ninja 250

FYI, Murph's Kits sells Ninja 250 carb rebuild kits with genuine Keihin needles/o-rings, and the fitted carb bowl O-ring you are looking for.

https://www.murphskits.com/product_i...roducts_id=464

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2017, 12:49 PM   #45
ThrottleGirl
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 1993 Ninja 250R, 2013 Ducati Diavel Dark Stealth, 2005 Honda Rebel Bobber

Oh, nice tips - thanks, guys! Is Murph on this forum or an online site?

Tipple Jim - I think those tires aren't made for tubeless tires...but I could be wrong.

As an FYI I've included some pictures of the fairings. Unfortunately, both of them have cracks so am not sure they can be used(?). Check them out. The larger one has cracks along one side and the smaller fairing has little cracks along the bottom (where my fingers are). I'll post pics shortly.

Old July 2nd, 2017, 12:55 PM   #46
ThrottleGirl
ninjette.org member

Ninja Parts

If anyone is interested, here are some pics of the parts I have, no idea if these would be useful but take a look and see;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170702_133135.jpg (197.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170702_133141.jpg (179.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170702_133151.jpg (139.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170702_133447.jpg (114.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170702_133452.jpg (108.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170702_133458.jpg (100.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170702_133515.jpg (115.6 KB, 2 views)

Old July 2nd, 2017, 12:59 PM   #47
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

The fairings are made of ABS, so they're relatively easy to patch with some fiberglass cloth inside the crack and ABS cement. Guys here have fixed them, so maybe start a thread asking how if you are interested.

Old July 2nd, 2017, 01:05 PM   #48
ThrottleGirl
ninjette.org member

These won't be used by me as I'm only keeping the side fairings and cutting them part ways (wasn't your bike like that, Triple Jim? Perhaps I have you confused with someone on here). I'll post them in the 250 forum on here if Ram Jet doesn't want them (or is there a Classified section I've missed?).

Old July 2nd, 2017, 01:06 PM   #49
ThrottleGirl
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
Yikes, a Ducati Diavel! You must be a whirling dervish on the road. Place me on your list for your upper fairing if it's a pre 2008.

Welcome aboard Mate!

Bill
Not sure how to tag someone in this forum yet so I'm just quoting you to make sure you get first chance at either of the fairings I have. Check them out and let me know.

Old July 2nd, 2017, 01:52 PM   #50
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Yes, I tapered my side fairings almost to a point at the rear, and cut off the grab handles from the rear peg mounts. That left frame tabs that are about perfect for turn signals. You can barely see the LED signals in this photo.

Daughter:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ga_ex250_solo.jpg (157.9 KB, 9 views)

Old July 3rd, 2017, 12:21 PM   #51
ThrottleGirl
ninjette.org member

Love that picture! I'm thinking of cutting my side fairings a bit closer to the tank and leaving the top of the rear tire more exposed. Speaking of fairings, I was going to post the ones I don't need in the Motorcycle-related for sale section but it says I do not have permission to post. Not sure what I am doing wrong?

Old July 3rd, 2017, 01:23 PM   #52
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

You may not quite have been approved for posting there yet. I think you have to reach 25 posts, and then a day or two might go by. Alex can fill you in.

Just be careful that you don't trim too many mounting points off the side fairings. I left the bolt at the bottom and two rubber mounts intact. I also wanted to hide the ugly stuff like the electrics and coolant tank. After trimming the rear fairing I made a new mount for the tail light and tag to get them closer to the seat. I also put LEDs in the left and right unused sections of the tail light and wired them to the center lamp for a bigger brake light. I tried using the side sections for turn signals, but wasn't happy with the visibility.

Thanks, it's a cool photo, taken by US129 Photo, I think. She's fun to ride with, and doesn't hold me back. She definitely needs some knee pucks. On one trip through the dragon, she was on the 250 and I was on my '89 Moto Guzzi Mille GT just staying behind her, and I occasionally dragged a puck!

Old July 3rd, 2017, 01:54 PM   #53
ThrottleGirl
ninjette.org member

I'd really like ot see some up close pictures of your mods. That back end is keeping me up at night trying to figure it out. I literally dreamt of it last night...sigh. I'll give it another day to post the fairings, I'd really like to send them to someone this week if I could. And avoid the posting on eBay hassle.

Old July 3rd, 2017, 02:05 PM   #54
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

The 250 is behind a couple other motorcycles at the moment. I'll be digging it out in a couple days, so if that'll help, I'll take some photos of it then.

Old July 3rd, 2017, 02:30 PM   #55
Ram Jet

Quote:
If anyone is interested, here are some pics of the parts I have, no idea if these would be useful but take a look and see;
Hi "T" Girl,

Sorry to be so late getting back to you. The upper fairing is pretty badly fractured but I think it's salvageable - maybe. The lower/chin fairing is a-bit too far gone and would require a ton of fiberglass and body filler to repair. What are you asking for the upper fairing? If you don't want to post it here hit my E-mail at "billalbertson@mail.com".

Bill (Ram Jet)

Old July 3rd, 2017, 02:36 PM   #56
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
Speaking of fairings, I was going to post the ones I don't need in the Motorcycle-related for sale section but it says I do not have permission to post. Not sure what I am doing wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
You may not quite have been approved for posting there yet. I think you have to reach 25 posts, and then a day or two might go by.
>=25 posts + 30 days on the site.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2017, 03:59 PM   #57
ThrottleGirl
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the explanation. Would it be considered bad etiquette to post in the 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles forum? IF so, I'll go ahead and do the eBay thing.

Triple Jim - yes, whenever you happen to get to your bike and have your camera handy, I'd be pretty interested in seeing what you've done. I understand about the bikes being buried, just had to reorganize my garage so this little Ninja could fit happily last weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg All 5 garage 445667_o.jpg (138.4 KB, 1 views)

Old July 3rd, 2017, 04:53 PM   #58
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Instead of rolling the bike outside for photos, I took a few in place. Three show the underside and how it bolts to the frame. It's made from 0.090" thick aluminum road sign material, probably something like 5052-H32, because it took the 90 degree bend at the top without cracking. As you can see, it mounts the tail light and the license plate. The extra wires around the back of the bulb socket are power for the side LEDs. The small wire going through the rubber grommet goes to an LED license plate light. The license plate is mouted with two bolts at the moment. It sits tightly against the plate so it doesn't vibrate and crack. I removed the rear part of the rear fender.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg taillight_mount_1.jpg (183.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg taillight_mount_2.jpg (184.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg taillight_mount_3.jpg (132.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg taillight_mount_4.jpg (160.7 KB, 2 views)

Old July 3rd, 2017, 05:48 PM   #59
Ram Jet

Quote:
Instead of rolling the bike outside for photos, I took a few in place. Three show the underside and how it bolts to the frame. It's made from 0.090" thick aluminum road sign material, probably something like 5052-H32, because it took the 90 degree bend at the top without cracking. As you can see, it mounts the tail light and the license plate. The extra wires around the back of the bulb socket are power for the side LEDs. The small wire going through the rubber grommet goes to an LED license plate light. The license plate is mouted with two bolts at the moment. It sits tightly against the plate so it doesn't vibrate and crack. I removed the rear part of the rear fender.
Good work TJ. Straight forward, clean and simple - most good designs are. There's another member here interested in doing just what you did. She lives in Illinois so all she has to do is don her bullet proof vest and head for Chicago to find a street sign. Where did you separate the rear fender. I assume you did so with a fine metal cutting, 32 tooth/inch hacksaw blade.

Bill

Old July 3rd, 2017, 05:52 PM   #60
ThrottleGirl
ninjette.org member

Ah, now I'm following you! Thanks for the pictures . I need to take off that whole back /side fairing to see what there is to work with, I'm thinking of cutting the seat back a bit and have a rack behind it but am not sure of the brace underneath. I'd like to go with a naked look, but I tend to travel a fair bike on my bikes so want a place to strap on an overnight bag.

Old July 3rd, 2017, 06:13 PM   #61
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Again, you're welcome. The stock seat's rear section is flat and nearly level. You can see in the photo I posted that a modest tail bag straps down nicely. It'll take larger packs too. I understand if your plan includes modifying the seat though.

Bill, thanks... As I remember, the fender has a rear section that you can just unbolt and remove. When you do that, the front section has a couple pieces that hang down on the left and right sides, so yes, I then trimmed them off with a hacksaw.

Old July 3rd, 2017, 07:45 PM   #62
Ram Jet

Quote:
Again, you're welcome. The stock seat's rear section is flat and nearly level. You can see in the photo I posted that a modest tail bag straps down nicely. It'll take larger packs too. I understand if your plan includes modifying the seat though.

Bill, thanks... As I remember, the fender has a rear section that you can just unbolt and remove. When you do that, the front section has a couple pieces that hang down on the left and right sides, so yes, I then trimmed them off with a hacksaw.
You're a craftsman TJ. Just look at those beautiful expansion chambers on your 750.

Bill

Old July 4th, 2017, 12:32 AM   #63
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
Yeah, I have to admit I'm feeling a bit bad about my plans to take off the cosmetics after seeing the beautiful Prince/Tom Cruise mash-up on this bike. It has a great nostalgic feel that makes me miss shoulder pads and Aqua Net. Not in a bad way, either .
Someone mentioned my twin. Yeah, we share the same birthday hence sharing the good looking part... lol.

Welcome! Can't wait to see your project.

Old July 4th, 2017, 05:48 AM   #64
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Hi and welcome!

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2017, 10:49 AM   #65
Kestrel
ninjette.org member

I've got a chopped 'fender' that came with my bike - you're free to have it if you can pay shipping costs. Somebody actually did a fairly decent job, too.

And on a similar note, if you are in the market for pregen clip ons, I've got a good condition set of Woodcraft clip ons I purchased for a project, but ended up not using. Retail for about $160, but I'm sure we could work something out for far less than that.

Old July 4th, 2017, 11:38 AM   #66
ThrottleGirl
ninjette.org member

Thanks for thinking to offer those up for sale. I've been surprised by how much I actually am liking the bars and might not change them after all. Can you post a picture of that fender? I'm getting into the rear-end today to try and determine if I'll be cutting that frame/seat bar or not and starting the process of the fender mounting project.

Old July 4th, 2017, 12:08 PM   #67
ThrottleGirl
ninjette.org member

New Scrambler Thread

Okay, not entirely sure how to do this, but at the suggestion of others, I have started a new thread int he 250 forum for this project. Hoping others might have some tips or tricks, or perhaps something I discover can help someone attempting the same build. I hope this link works (?).
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...82#post1180682

Old July 4th, 2017, 01:14 PM   #68
Kestrel
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Thanks for thinking to offer those up for sale. I've been surprised by how much I actually am liking the bars and might not change them after all. Can you post a picture of that fender? I'm getting into the rear-end today to try and determine if I'll be cutting that frame/seat bar or not and starting the process of the fender mounting project.
It's just a fender that was trimmed to remove everything except what tucks under the wheel well, and then has the license plate bracket bolted to the underside of the trail in the very rear...

Stock fender looks like this... It was trimmed right along the line where it hits the body.

Here's the underside of the stock fender... See the round yellow holes with the body visible? The license plate bracket was removed from the stock fender, and slipped between the fender and the body, then bolted down.

And here's the modified version.

This came on the bike when it was purchased from the previous owner. I'm using it as a commuter in all weather conditions, so I reinstalled a stock fender. It's pretty easy to modify yourself in 10-15 minutes and a decent hack saw, but I figured if you wanted to save the trouble and time of cutting it yourself, you're welcome to have this one. It has just been sitting around the garage, and may get trashed at some point. Shipping will probably run $7-10 for the box depending on where it is going, so it's up to you whether or not that's worth your time

Is there a license plate light? No. But there was a decent amount of tail-light light present, so I never had too much of an issue with it. If you go that route, you'll need to put turn signal bulbs into the rear house, and rewire it. Not too hard.

Old July 4th, 2017, 01:21 PM   #69
ThrottleGirl
ninjette.org member

Ah, I see now. Pictures are oh-so-helpful. I'm actually thinking of going naked in the rear...with just a little fender mounted like a mud flap and dirt bike/ dual sport tiny blinkers from the sides. Totally switching it up. But that's the idea at the moment, and as I've learned from my only other build, ideas morph into reality as the build develops, so I'll keep this in mind as I might want to go this route after seeing what's involved with my current idea!

Old July 4th, 2017, 01:43 PM   #70
Kestrel
ninjette.org member

I can say that the side panels do cover up a lot of electrical components; contrary to how it might look, you may be best served by leaving them attached.

Old July 4th, 2017, 02:08 PM   #71
ThrottleGirl
ninjette.org member

I hear ya'. I'm hoping to reduce it all to dual sport blinkers and small LED brake light. Planning on cutting the side fairings just past the water fill reservoir and then leaving the rest open/naked from there on back and heat shrinking the wires along the back of the frame line. But like I said, this is the 'idea' stage, which may change immediately as I am now taking the parts off the rear end to see what I'm working with...and trying to remember to keep breathing... This is a bit unnerving as I am far outside of my comfort zone, but am loving it .

Old July 4th, 2017, 02:09 PM   #72
ThrottleGirl
ninjette.org member

...it all does seem a bit disrespectful and sacrilegious as the basic bike is such a nice little design. I strip it with all due respect, lol.

Old July 4th, 2017, 02:30 PM   #73
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

The basic design of the pregens is OK, but more of a 1990s design than a modern one. It's very heavy looking at the rear, so I didn't feel guilty about trimming a lot of stuff to clean it up. If I end up getting another one for the track, I'll leave it stock.

Old July 4th, 2017, 02:53 PM   #74
ThrottleGirl
ninjette.org member

Stripped down to naked and discovered the grab handle assembly might make a decent brake light/license plate mount. Threw that big brake light back on just few around the block test rides to see how the carb cleaning/rebuild goes next week. I prefer to at least look legal, anyway. I like the bare bones of this bike a whole lot. Tons of potential. Am encouraged!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19720251_10154538841487056_1308965000_o.jpg (120.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 19718776_10154538840477056_2115752864_o.jpg (161.7 KB, 4 views)

Old July 4th, 2017, 07:08 PM   #75
Ram Jet

Quote:
The basic design of the pregens is OK, but more of a 1990s design than a modern one. It's very heavy looking at the rear, so I didn't feel guilty about trimming a lot of stuff to clean it up. If I end up getting another one for the track, I'll leave it stock.
So, you like the George Lucas "Star Wars" look. Being an old fart I like the pregen styling. Wouldn't change a thing about it. From a maintenance standpoint the full fairing is a pain in the tail feathers though.

May the force be with you.

Bill

Old July 4th, 2017, 07:15 PM   #76
ThrottleGirl
ninjette.org member

That's hysterical - I literally just called the front fender a Strom Trooper yesterday.

Old July 4th, 2017, 07:38 PM   #77
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
So, you like the George Lucas "Star Wars" look.
Not really, that's why my theme was a "standard" from the '70s. Notice the way I painted the side panels to suggest the side covers that were common in that era. I also put the model designation "EX250S" on the sides, the "S" referring to "standard".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ex250s_by_lake.jpg (218.8 KB, 2 views)

Old July 4th, 2017, 10:45 PM   #78
Ram Jet

Quote:
Not really, that's why my theme was a "standard" from the '70s. Notice the way I painted the side panels to suggest the side covers that were common in that era. I also put the model designation "EX250S" on the sides, the "S" referring to "standard".
Really a retro look. I like it, it's beautiful. Reminds me of my dinosaur 82' Honda Ascot,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 222.jpg (192.5 KB, 0 views)

Old July 7th, 2017, 12:54 PM   #79
ThrottleGirl
ninjette.org member

Dual Sport Tires!

Found some in 16", thought I'd update this thread. Still not entirely decided if I'll go with these or swap out to a 17" and get slightly bigger dual sports.

http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tube...tm_campaign=eb

Old July 7th, 2017, 01:13 PM   #80
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

You haven't found a 16" front, have you? I tried pretty hard and didn't come up with anything that was really dual sport.