Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Notices

Old September 9th, 2010, 11:31 PM   #1
Godzilla35
ninjette.org member

Name: poop

Motorcycle(s): Nike Hyperdunks

Yo from San Diego

hey guys, just thought I'd say hello and introduce myself...

I "started" riding about 2 years ago.
I should say, I took my PERMIT test and bought a CBR600f2.
It was a crazy experience and I did take SOME time to learn some basics from my friends who were experienced riders.

Long story short, parents didn't know and my friend who got me to buy my bike (who had the same one too), ended up getting side swiped on the 5 freeway driving home to LA (where I live too). He flipped 10 times and the girl in the tinted acura didn't even know she hit his front tire with her rear/ quarter until she saw him tumbling in her rear view. Funny how that works.

Luckily, an ex-marine was behind him and stopped traffic / pulled him to the side of the road. He was lucky. Nothing broken, just road rash. He told me, he didn't want to have to call my parents if something happened to me. Enough said. Sold my bike and gave up everything EXCEPT for my boots. I wanted to keep something to remind myself, I'll ride again some day.

Well, that time has come. My friend got a new bike. I'm almost done with school. My new roommate wants to buy a bike too. I've pretty much decided on the new 250R as my choice. And i've registered for the Rider Course. I'm trying to do things right this time.

Only things that bum me out:
1) friends tell me i'll get bored / tired of the 250 (I don't really care about speed / power, only looks... so is this even possible?)
2) carbeurated! oh no~~~~ the ONLY bad issue I had with my F2 was that it SUCKED having to mess with the choke! I still to this day don't get it! it was so impossible to warm up properly. And riding when the idles were crazy almost made me drop my bike from stalling or pop wheelies from the front end lifting
3) colors... black (win), green (win), red (pretty cool)... blue (i'll take it I guess)... no white?!?! My car is pearl white so I'd like a white ninja 250R for 2011 please! *crossed fingers*

anyways, thanks for reading my rant! hope to run into some of you SD riders some time... hopefully soon, if I can get a job! =]
Godzilla35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2010, 11:40 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Godzilla35! Glad to have you aboard...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2010, 08:02 AM   #3
BlueRaven
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

Old September 10th, 2010, 08:55 AM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Take a look at '08 CP Blue in person before dismissing blue bikes.

Anyway, white does look nice but you might have to go custom. Kawi doesn't seem to do white for any of their bikes.

I hope to see you around in SD!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2010, 09:01 AM   #5
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Welcome to the forum
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2010, 10:26 AM   #6
vnranger
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): Candy Thunder blue 2009 kawasaki 250r, 2010 Dark Stealth Ducati Monster 696.

vnranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2010, 12:37 PM   #7
Godzilla35
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post

Anyway, white does look nice but you might have to go custom. Kawi doesn't seem to do white for any of their bikes.

Thanks, i've even heard that the blue / red VARIED year to year?!
This is going to make my hunt even trickier.

The only colors I absolutely don't want (hope I don't offend anyone). Are the black / red special edition and the green and white special edition. I think they're too busy.

And thanks for the welcome every one.

Old September 10th, 2010, 12:50 PM   #8
Dino
ninjette.org member

Name: Dino

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

welcome, I think white is the way to go too Let me know if you ever think about painting your fairings, it can be done just takes some work but I'm down to do it. I don't have a job right now either, just living off my GI Bill so lemme know wassup It would be a fun/learning experience.
Dino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2010, 12:51 PM   #9
Godzilla35
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
welcome, I think white is the way to go too Let me know if you ever think about painting your fairings, it can be done just takes some work but I'm down to do it. I don't have a job right now either, just living off my GI Bill so lemme know wassup It would be a fun/learning experience.
Awesome... I need a job too!
I don't even have half for a ninja =[
We shall see...

Old September 10th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla35 View Post
Thanks, i've even heard that the blue / red VARIED year to year?!
This is going to make my hunt even trickier.

The only colors I absolutely don't want (hope I don't offend anyone). Are the black / red special edition and the green and white special edition. I think they're too busy.

And thanks for the welcome every one.
Yeah, but they all have, actually. Blue has gotten progressively worse, though Candy Thunder Blue is still OK. Metallic Island is bad. Red has gone full circle and returned to the '08 color with the '10 black exhaust (Passion, Sunbeam, and Ebony/Candy Persimmon Red SE + Passion). Black has shifted around too (Ebony, Metallic Diablo Black, none). Of course, green has stayed the same except for the design... Kawi Green, '09 SE Green w/ black, '10 SE Green w/ white).

Old September 10th, 2010, 01:40 PM   #11
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 06:55 AM   #12
lockie
ninjette.org sage

Name: don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250R

Good story

Welcome from the north
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #13
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Old September 11th, 2010, 11:19 AM   #14
rceezy
Lean Me

Name: RC

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Welcome! My baby is blue and she's beautiful! :P
rceezy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #15
Godzilla35
ninjette.org member

thanks every one!

Old September 11th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #16
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

shim your needles when you get it makes a world of difference riding and starting it

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2010, 03:56 AM   #17
Godzilla35
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00NissanNinja View Post
shim your needles when you get it makes a world of difference riding and starting it
no idea what shimming is or what it does exactly? (noob)

Old September 12th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #18
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Welcome back to the motorcycle world here is a link to shimming the needles

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...light=shimming

nb

Old September 12th, 2010, 12:53 PM   #19
Agustin
ninjette.org member

Name: Agustin

Motorcycle(s): 1993 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (sold), 2007 Yamaha R1, 2003 Suzuki GSXR-600

Quote:
hey guys, just thought I'd say hello and introduce myself...

I "started" riding about 2 years ago.
I should say, I took my PERMIT test and bought a CBR600f2.
It was a crazy experience and I did take SOME time to learn some basics from my friends who were experienced riders.

Long story short, parents didn't know and my friend who got me to buy my bike (who had the same one too), ended up getting side swiped on the 5 freeway driving home to LA (where I live too). He flipped 10 times and the girl in the tinted acura didn't even know she hit his front tire with her rear/ quarter until she saw him tumbling in her rear view. Funny how that works.

Luckily, an ex-marine was behind him and stopped traffic / pulled him to the side of the road. He was lucky. Nothing broken, just road rash. He told me, he didn't want to have to call my parents if something happened to me. Enough said. Sold my bike and gave up everything EXCEPT for my boots. I wanted to keep something to remind myself, I'll ride again some day.

Well, that time has come. My friend got a new bike. I'm almost done with school. My new roommate wants to buy a bike too. I've pretty much decided on the new 250R as my choice. And i've registered for the Rider Course. I'm trying to do things right this time.

Only things that bum me out:
1) friends tell me i'll get bored / tired of the 250 (I don't really care about speed / power, only looks... so is this even possible?)
2) carbeurated! oh no~~~~ the ONLY bad issue I had with my F2 was that it SUCKED having to mess with the choke! I still to this day don't get it! it was so impossible to warm up properly. And riding when the idles were crazy almost made me drop my bike from stalling or pop wheelies from the front end lifting
3) colors... black (win), green (win), red (pretty cool)... blue (i'll take it I guess)... no white?!?! My car is pearl white so I'd like a white ninja 250R for 2011 please! *crossed fingers*

anyways, thanks for reading my rant! hope to run into some of you SD riders some time... hopefully soon, if I can get a job! =]
I own a 93 Ninja 250 and an R1, they are both fun bikes in their own right. If you truly don't care about horsepower the 250 will keep you happy, it's a really fun bike. 250's are fun in the canyons where skill matters more than horsepower. I've been riding for a few years and don't feel that I've outgrown the 250.I laugh at those that say they are ready for a larger bike after 3 or 6 months of city riding on a 250. Those are the same people that crash because they can't control all the horsepower at their disposal.

Buy the 250 and ignore the comments about boredom on it. Learn at your own pace and you will one day be one of those old guys hauling ass later in life. You know the one's that you see in the canyons riding liter bikes effortlessly and making it look like childs play. Those guys didn't get to be so good by jumping on the largest bike they could as soon as they started riding.
Agustin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2010, 12:01 AM   #20
Godzilla35
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agustin View Post
I own a 93 Ninja 250 and an R1, they are both fun bikes in their own right. If you truly don't care about horsepower the 250 will keep you happy, it's a really fun bike. 250's are fun in the canyons where skill matters more than horsepower. I've been riding for a few years and don't feel that I've outgrown the 250.I laugh at those that say they are ready for a larger bike after 3 or 6 months of city riding on a 250. Those are the same people that crash because they can't control all the horsepower at their disposal.

Buy the 250 and ignore the comments about boredom on it. Learn at your own pace and you will one day be one of those old guys hauling ass later in life. You know the one's that you see in the canyons riding liter bikes effortlessly and making it look like childs play. Those guys didn't get to be so good by jumping on the largest bike they could as soon as they started riding.

Yeah, I really don't care about speed, I care about technique and safety (first.. as the adage goes haha). I think a 250 will make me happy, but of course there are things that a 600 will do for me in terms of looks and ease of use like fuel injection. However, that huge difference in power will require more "respect" or caution... one in the same in my mind. And that might take away from my riding experience I fear? When I had my cbr 600 F2... it was def. a lot of power for a noob, but it was also fun whilst being scary. I fear that a newer 600 will just spit me out like used gum whenever it wants, and I don't want to ride with that feeling.

I have one pretty sporty car and one really sporty car, so speed isn't important to me. I'm not a racer or a ricer, I just like the power there if I want it. =]

Old September 13th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #21
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Rose

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Blue Ninja 250R

I think you're starting off with the right attitude not caring about a faster bike as a new rider Regarding FI, I still have hopes some day it will make it to the US (They already sell a FI 250 in Europe, that I know of), and if it does make it here, I'll upgrade in a heartbeat!

Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2010, 03:54 PM   #22
Godzilla35
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
I think you're starting off with the right attitude not caring about a faster bike as a new rider Regarding FI, I still have hopes some day it will make it to the US (They already sell a FI 250 in Europe, that I know of), and if it does make it here, I'll upgrade in a heartbeat!

yeah, from what i've read on the subject.. not likely going to happen because of costs =[

i've even tried to read if it's possible to do a EFI swap but haven't seen anything promising....

the only way is to probably import one but i doubt that's easy or cost effective.

if I had my way, i'd buy an Aprillia 125R, but they aren't street legal in Cali =[

Old September 15th, 2010, 09:55 AM   #23
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2010, 06:39 PM   #24
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
yeah, from what i've read on the subject.. not likely going to happen because of costs =[

i've even tried to read if it's possible to do a EFI swap but haven't seen anything promising....

the only way is to probably import one but i doubt that's easy or cost effective.

if I had my way, i'd buy an Aprillia 125R, but they aren't street legal in Cali =[
They aren't street legal anywhere in the USA and two-stroke motors don't have the durability for street use unless you plan to rebuild the motor often. I will admit though... I drooled over it and thought many times about how I might be able to get away with streeting that beaut'

Old September 16th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #25
Godzilla35
ninjette.org member

Quote:
They aren't street legal anywhere in the USA and two-stroke motors don't have the durability for street use unless you plan to rebuild the motor often. I will admit though... I drooled over it and thought many times about how I might be able to get away with streeting that beaut'
hahaha.. word.

Old September 17th, 2010, 04:36 AM   #26
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

Quote:

ERRRR WRONG - the zx14 came in white once upon a time!

2007. Lol
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #27
Godzilla35
ninjette.org member

i thought the 2011 special edition is coming in half black and half pearl white? I saw pics of it, but someone mentioned we might not get it in the US? poo~ =[

Old September 17th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #28
Godzilla35
ninjette.org member

btw, wish me luck guys, FIRST DAY OF RIDER COURSE TODAY!

Old September 17th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #29
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
btw, wish me luck guys, FIRST DAY OF RIDER COURSE TODAY!
Good luck! Are you going to San Marcos?

Old September 17th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #30
Godzilla35
ninjette.org member

Palomar... kinda far from where I live...

Anyone with a 250 wanna bring it over and show me =] haha...

Old September 17th, 2010, 03:55 PM   #31
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Palomar... kinda far from where I live...

Anyone with a 250 wanna bring it over and show me =] haha...
Yes, Palomar College is in San Marcos. That's where I did it too.
If you get the guy that everybody calls "Santa" (you'll see why), he seems like a weird guy but he is really really funny!

Old September 17th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #32
Godzilla35
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
Yes, Palomar College is in San Marcos. That's where I did it too.
If you get the guy that everybody calls "Santa" (you'll see why), he seems like a weird guy but he is really really funny!
Cooool. Haha, anything but mean would be awesome.
I've read some horror stories of people being like drill instructors.
My gf is now thinking about getting her license too!

Old September 19th, 2010, 12:20 PM   #33
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
i thought the 2011 special edition is coming in half black and half pearl white? I saw pics of it, but someone mentioned we might not get it in the US? poo~ =[
Special edition what? 250R? Where did you read it?

Old September 19th, 2010, 12:27 PM   #34
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by demp View Post
ERRRR WRONG - the zx14 came in white once upon a time!

2007. Lol
I'm not saying that they never have... just that you can click through all their current motorcycle models and check each available color and white is nowhere to be found. Well, there's always white plastic paneling with stickers on the off-road bikes, but that's not the same. It's been that way for a while.

Old September 19th, 2010, 01:44 PM   #35
Godzilla35
ninjette.org member

http://motoroids.com/news/exclusive-...l-edition.html

Ninja250_2011_SP121.jpg

Old September 20th, 2010, 09:57 AM   #36
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

So.. how did the class go?

Old September 20th, 2010, 12:27 PM   #37
Godzilla35
ninjette.org member

Unhappy

i passed the written easily...

did well the first day...

second day practice, pretty much nailed everything except had an issue with my shifter (wasn't shifting from 2 to 1 / 1 to 2, instead only into neutral or staying in gear)... and this with a lapse in judgement, made me fail my riding in exam... =[

the box, i did fairly well... i did the U turns and got points off for going on the line, no biggie... and did the swerve down... got hit in the face with a bee which startled me a little and foot slipped off the shifter so I didn't down shift, again, not that many points lost, but a couple.

the quickstop... I did everything well except a stopped a little too far and again, I shifted, but because the bike didn't want to... I got a couple points off. Not a big deal, half expected.

BUT THEN, the easiest part of the test... the part I nailed the WHOLE PRACTICE! CORNERING! I messed up... first corner did fine (doesn't count) then when I wanted to shift into second, my bike, again, didn't do it's job, so I fiddled with the clutch until it did and accelerated as part of the instruction. But what was MY fault was I wasn't paying attention to the end of the braking zone where I should've slowed already and started to look / press in the decreasing radius turn. So basically I was taking the turn okay / slightly too fast for the first bend, then when the radius decreased I was way out in left field, literally... $#!T!... fail... literally. I came to the parking area and was so disappointed in myself. I was nailing the head turn, press, lean and roll on the throttle thing the whole day... but I messed up on slowing and looking this time and it cost me the test BY 3 POINTS! So technically, I could've passed if my other sections were tidier, but being one of maybe 3 people who hasn't REALLY learned how to ride in the class, that was as good as it was going to get for me...

I'm not gonna let it go though... put too much time, money, energy and effort into this. I'm gonna go back and retest because I know I didn't do myself or my rider coaches justice; I could be better. I was just disappointed in myself. Severely.

Old September 20th, 2010, 12:33 PM   #38
kkim

Eddie,

Don't beat yourself up about this. Learn from what went wrong the first time and go back and take the course again (I'm assuming it's free to retake, correct?)

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do fine the next time through.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2010, 12:39 PM   #39
Godzilla35
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Eddie,

Don't beat yourself up about this. Learn from what went wrong the first time and go back and take the course again (I'm assuming it's free to retake, correct?)

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do fine the next time through.
yeah, first retry is free... but they're more strict about grading... shouldn't be a problem because the first few things I did wrong were minor, but added up. And my turning error cost me like 10-12 points! =[

Old September 20th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #40
kkim

I would think if your particular course bike is giving you mechanical problems, such as shifting, if you make it known during the course, they should allow you some leeway when that particular problem causes you to not complete the exercises as instructed.

Let them know your bike has a problem or ask to switch bikes if it's a problem next time.

Remember, they are not there to fail you, but there to help you learn how to ride and to encourage new riders embark on a safe riding career.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote