Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Old July 28th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #1
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Turkish noobie from SoCal :]

Hello everyone.

After waiting for years for the "right time" I finally registered and passed my MSF course and DMV written test.

I'm picking up my bike on Saturday. I was split between 250cc and 600cc as many are when they are starting off. I decided to start with 250cc. I rode my brother's 600cc and I was doing fine practicing in big open parking lots etc but to be honest, I had a lot more fun learning on 250cc on the course. I'll move up when I'm 100% able to ride the crap out of the smaller bike.

The bike is a green 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r. I found a super low milage, pretty good price one and hoping to officially be a rider this Saturday. (EDIT: This one didn't work out. The guy was a retard! He dropped it twice (not why) and lied about it (this is why). I don't understand people. They assume everyone's stupid? lol.

Needless to say, I already have all my gear.

Peace!

On a personal note, this is what I do!

Finally some new (still crappy) photos of it!

Last futzed with by Gurk; August 16th, 2011 at 01:11 PM.
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #2
Azhyen
ninjette.org Pirate

Name: Seph

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

hope you enjoy your stay!

Old July 28th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #3
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Welcome! Glad you found us!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2011, 05:50 PM   #4
KJohnson21
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #5
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

Welcome to the 250 party.
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 12:46 AM   #6
Karayan
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250r

welcome, I am from Turkey as well, but I guess you living back in the States since you mentioned about DMV =). That drove me back to the days I got my license from NY =)
Karayan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 12:57 AM   #7
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurk View Post
Hello everyone.

After waiting for years for the "right time" I finally registered and passed my MSF course and DMV written test.

I'm picking up my bike on Saturday. I was split between 250cc and 600cc as many are when they are starting off. I decided to start with 250cc. I rode my brother's 600cc and I was doing fine practicing in big open parking lots etc but to be honest, I had a lot more fun learning on 250cc on the course. I'll move up when I'm 100% able to ride the crap out of the smaller bike.

The bike is a green 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r. I found a super low milage, pretty good price one and hoping to officially be a rider this Saturday.

Needless to say, I already have all my gear.

Peace!
You're in Manhattan? I'm in Hermosa! If you need help looking at the bike or finding one let me know I'd be more than happy to help out a fellow ninjette member.
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 04:15 AM   #8
Gurk
Done here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
You're in Manhattan? I'm in Hermosa! If you need help looking at the bike or finding one let me know I'd be more than happy to help out a fellow ninjette member.
Thanks so much! I found one that I really want. Hopefully if everything goes well, I'll have it on Saturday. If it falls through though, I'll make sure to ask for help

Old July 29th, 2011, 04:15 AM   #9
Gurk
Done here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karayan View Post
welcome, I am from Turkey as well, but I guess you living back in the States since you mentioned about DMV =). That drove me back to the days I got my license from NY =)
Yeah I'll be here another 3 years at least

Old July 29th, 2011, 04:56 AM   #10
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Welcome to the family
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 07:07 AM   #11
Gurk
Done here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob706 View Post
Welcome to the family
Thanks man!

Also, I've read your off topic thread. Couldn't write anything that would help the situation but my thoughts are totally with you man. You'll get through this

Old July 29th, 2011, 12:23 PM   #12
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #13
Gurk
Done here.

This is the slowest day ever!!! Tomorrow can not come soon enough lol

Old July 29th, 2011, 08:19 PM   #14
Gurk
Done here.

This is heartbreaking... The bike I had an eye on was sold. The guy texted me just now...

Gotta keep looking now

Old July 29th, 2011, 11:29 PM   #15
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Quote:

This is heartbreaking... The bike I had an eye on was sold. The guy texted me just now...

Gotta keep looking now
What are you looking for and how much are you willing to spend? Do you want mods or do you want to do them yourself or do you not care? Let's get you out and riding with us!

Old July 29th, 2011, 11:47 PM   #16
Gurk
Done here.

Quote:
What are you looking for and how much are you willing to spend? Do you want mods or do you want to do them yourself or do you not care? Let's get you out and riding with us!
I don't mind mods like slip on, fender eliminator, flush turn lights. They are all plusses but none of them are a must.

Ideal would be 10k or lower $3.8k 250r basically.

After looking at every hole, I found a '09 model that fits my above description. I got the guy's address just now and will check it tomorrow. Hope it works out. If not, I'd appreciate any help I can get.

I pretty much looked at everything on craigslist ebay and cycletrader I think.

I'm located in Manhattan Beach.

I'll join you guys this week! I know it!

EDIT: The one I found is 4xxx miles, $3750 very clean and special edition themed green/black. It looks like a winner to me. Riding tomorrow will hopefully confirm this.
EDIT 2: You're more than welcome to ride with us (me and my cousin) tomorrow to the guy's place (little north of pasadena) My cousin can take you back to Hermosa. He's gonna go there anyway to watch AVP in the morning No sweat if you're busy!

Old July 30th, 2011, 02:32 AM   #17
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Quote:
I don't mind mods like slip on, fender eliminator, flush turn lights. They are all plusses but none of them are a must.

Ideal would be 10k or lower $3.8k 250r basically.

After looking at every hole, I found a '09 model that fits my above description. I got the guy's address just now and will check it tomorrow. Hope it works out. If not, I'd appreciate any help I can get.

I pretty much looked at everything on craigslist ebay and cycletrader I think.

I'm located in Manhattan Beach.

I'll join you guys this week! I know it!

EDIT: The one I found is 4xxx miles, $3750 very clean and special edition themed green/black. It looks like a winner to me. Riding tomorrow will hopefully confirm this.
EDIT 2: You're more than welcome to ride with us (me and my cousin) tomorrow to the guy's place (little north of pasadena) My cousin can take you back to Hermosa. He's gonna go there anyway to watch AVP in the morning No sweat if you're busy!
What time are you going? I'd love to join you but I have work in the early afternoon and probably wont read a reply until it's too late. fyi that price is a bit high for a bike with no mods - it should have a decent amount of mods including at the very least a slip on exhaust for that amount. You could probably find about the same bike for 3G-3200 with a bit more searching. I wouldn't offer more than 3200. 3400 if you really really want it and don't want to wait any longer.

To put it in perspective for you when I got my bike it was 2800 miles 2010 Special Edition with a full aftermarket race exhaust system, LED strips, HID headlights, tank pad, rear cowl, Proton flushmount turn signals, and fender eliminator in perfect showroom condition for $4000 and that was purchased just 2 months ago.

Old July 30th, 2011, 05:35 AM   #18
Gurk
Done here.

Quote:
What time are you going? I'd love to join you but I have work in the early afternoon and probably wont read a reply until it's too late. fyi that price is a bit high for a bike with no mods - it should have a decent amount of mods including at the very least a slip on exhaust for that amount. You could probably find about the same bike for 3G-3200 with a bit more searching. I wouldn't offer more than 3200. 3400 if you really really want it and don't want to wait any longer.

To put it in perspective for you when I got my bike it was 2800 miles 2010 Special Edition with a full aftermarket race exhaust system, LED strips, HID headlights, tank pad, rear cowl, Proton flushmount turn signals, and fender eliminator in perfect showroom condition for $4000 and that was purchased just 2 months ago.
It's alright man no worries. I'm sure we'll see each other soon enough :]
I think I'll try to talk him down to $3500. We'll see how that goes. Right now when you look at the market, I can't find anything close to what you're describing. The 2010 low mile models are selling for pretty outrageous amounts. I mean I think people are overpricing it but they don't wanna come down either.

I do think I'm being a tad impatient though, to tell you the truth I feel like I gotta have it right now. It's gonna be an extremely busy next few weeks and I don't wanna miss this bike for just $250.

Anyway. We'll see how it goes

Old July 30th, 2011, 09:41 AM   #19
Gurk
Done here.

WHAT a waste of time...

Typical craigslist. The bike felt good and ran good. He said "clean" and worded it like clean shape and title. I go there and he obviously lowsided on its right. I was still gonna buy cause it was just scratches but was gonna offer him WAY less. I ask him to bring the title.. It's salvage. What a joke. I should've harassed him to pay me 20 bucks for gas, lol.

me: "sooo.. you didn't mention all these scratches."
guy: "yeaaa"
me: "sooo.. you dropped it, right?"
guy: "noo noo.. it just.. you know.. standing.. then fell.. you know..."
me: "you pretty much dropped it... right?"
guy: "i mean noo... like..."
me: "you lowsided on its right side..... right?"
guy: "well... yyyeaaaaahh"
me: "and you got a salvage title... i'll pay you 2.3k for it"
guy: "i can't do that"
me: "bye"

Old July 30th, 2011, 09:52 AM   #20
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

Welcome to the forums and take your time to find the right deal... glad you didn't fall for the one you mentioned above... they are definitely out there. That's why I decided to buy new when I got mine. Yeah I could have gotten one for less, but at least I knew that mine didn't have anything wrong with it. I plan to keep mine even after I upgrade though so that might not be important to you.

We have a pretty good local group of riders... you should definitely come hang out with us at a meet or ride! Look forward to meeting you and hearing more about your future bike!!!
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 09:55 AM   #21
Gurk
Done here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazper View Post
Welcome to the forums and take your time to find the right deal... glad you didn't fall for the one you mentioned above... they are definitely out there. That's why I decided to buy new when I got mine. Yeah I could have gotten one for less, but at least I knew that mine didn't have anything wrong with it. I plan to keep mine even after I upgrade though so that might not be important to you.

We have a pretty good local group of riders... you should definitely come hang out with us at a meet or ride! Look forward to meeting you and hearing more about your future bike!!!
Thanks man. I'm very glad I signed up to this forum. I tend to be very impatient but I realize now that a first bike requires more patience than a pair of shoes I'll keep looking

Old July 30th, 2011, 12:05 PM   #22
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Well that's a freakin' bummer.... So we're looking for a new gen I take it? This is pretty important; obviously the new gens are better looking but are also more expensive to repair and insure. If you plan on upgrading as soon as you're capable then you might want to look in to a pregen, just keep in mind insurance really hikes up after 400cc.

I watched a good buddy of mine try to lane split and land up chucking his pregen through the middle of an intersection within the first 24 hours of having his bike - boy was he glad to have an older model and not be all upset about the damage it sustained. Just something to think about. I'll keep an eye out for ya and see what we can find

Old July 30th, 2011, 12:10 PM   #23
Gurk
Done here.

Quote:
Well that's a freakin' bummer.... So we're looking for a new gen I take it? This is pretty important; obviously the new gens are better looking but are also more expensive to repair and insure. If you plan on upgrading as soon as you're capable then you might want to look in to a pregen, just keep in mind insurance really hikes up after 400cc.

I watched a good buddy of mine try to lane split and land up chucking his pregen through the middle of an intersection within the first 24 hours of having his bike - boy was he glad to have an older model and not be all upset about the damage it sustained. Just something to think about. I'll keep an eye out for ya and see what we can find
Totally considered the old gen. Probably smarter choice as first bike but I was always between 250 and 600s. It was obviously way easier to settle for 250's BECAUSE of the new gens. I hope to use the bike as long as it takes. I really want to be extremely comfortable on a 250 before I move up. So I'm really hoping to have the bike for a long while. Actually even after I upgrade, I'd like to keep it. That's why I feel like new gen justified

I just found another one. I'll have to check that out on Monday.

I'll keep looking for a while. I might have to settle for old gen eventually but not giving up yet!

Old July 30th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #24
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Quote:
Totally considered the old gen. Probably smarter choice as first bike but I was always between 250 and 600s. It was obviously way easier to settle for 250's BECAUSE of the new gens. I hope to use the bike as long as it takes. I really want to be extremely comfortable on a 250 before I move up. So I'm really hoping to have the bike for a long while. Actually even after I upgrade, I'd like to keep it. That's why I feel like new gen justified

I just found another one. I'll have to check that out on Monday.

I'll keep looking for a while. I might have to settle for old gen eventually but not giving up yet!
Well if you have any questions just PM me the link to the ad or the questions and I'll be happy to help. I'll PM you anything I happen to come across as well.

Old July 30th, 2011, 12:56 PM   #25
Gurk
Done here.

Quote:
Well if you have any questions just PM me the link to the ad or the questions and I'll be happy to help. I'll PM you anything I happen to come across as well.
Awesome Max. Appreciated!

Old July 31st, 2011, 11:34 AM   #26
kyrider

Name: Bobbert

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

Welcome!

Kinda in the same shoes as you.

I found a pregen for a great deal and went with it.

I take my MSF in two weeks. I have my permit and have been riding just a bit.

Last time I was on a bike was in 1986 and I believe it was a GPZ 600.

I am thinking for my needs the 250 will serve me fine.

Good luck!

p.s. What is your favorite movie editing software?
kyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2011, 01:40 PM   #27
Gurk
Done here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrider View Post
Welcome!

Kinda in the same shoes as you.

I found a pregen for a great deal and went with it.

I take my MSF in two weeks. I have my permit and have been riding just a bit.

Last time I was on a bike was in 1986 and I believe it was a GPZ 600.

I am thinking for my needs the 250 will serve me fine.

Good luck!

p.s. What is your favorite movie editing software?
Thanks buddy! You'll have fun in MSF. I did! And man... I am SOOO glad I took that course. $250 worth every single penny.

I'll have to go with Final Cut. I usually do my editing and vfx in Adobe After Effects (I shouldn't) but for editig, FC is simply best I've used. I get lazy and do it in AE but on a project where I'm working with a team, I'll never use AE for editing. It just screws up workflow.

Old July 31st, 2011, 01:51 PM   #28
Gurk
Done here.

UPDATE!!!!

I got it!!! 1400 miles, 2010 Red Black Special Edition. MGP Exhaust.

The bike's friggin beautiful. I took a quick crappy iphone photo. Too bad I sold my DSLR gear to afford this bike so I can't take some badass photos of it. But soon enough! I'll get my photo gear again and post some good photos.

I rode it 30 miles back home. I took side streets as I don't feel ready for freeway yet. It was a BLAST. I'll be practicing a lot! I just came back and I wanna go back out again

Old July 31st, 2011, 03:32 PM   #29
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Quote:
UPDATE!!!!

I got it!!! 1400 miles, 2010 Red Black Special Edition. MGP Exhaust.

The bike's friggin beautiful. I took a quick crappy iphone photo. Too bad I sold my DSLR gear to afford this bike so I can't take some badass photos of it. But soon enough! I'll get my photo gear again and post some good photos.

I rode it 30 miles back home. I took side streets as I don't feel ready for freeway yet. It was a BLAST. I'll be practicing a lot! I just came back and I wanna go back out again

Damn that DOES look good! Get out and ride it around town! If you want i'm working outside at the manhattan beach target as one of the cart guys until 745 - stop by and show 'er off!

Old July 31st, 2011, 04:21 PM   #30
Gurk
Done here.

Quote:
Damn that DOES look good! Get out and ride it around town! If you want i'm working outside at the manhattan beach target as one of the cart guys until 745 - stop by and show 'er off!
I might do that !
Just back from Hermosa. I'm sweatin' like a pig. Hah!

Old July 31st, 2011, 04:38 PM   #31
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Quote:
I might do that !
Just back from Hermosa. I'm sweatin' like a pig. Hah!
Yeah its been nice and hot out during the day. I don't recommend a nice textile jacket if you only have leather. You get used to being a sweaty mess
Posted via Mobile Device

Old July 31st, 2011, 04:43 PM   #32
Gurk
Done here.

Quote:
Yeah its been nice and hot out during the day. I don't recommend a nice textile jacket if you only have leather. You get used to being a sweaty mess
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah f it. I can live with it

Old July 31st, 2011, 06:34 PM   #33
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Wow! I could hear you leaving for a good minute, that MGP sounds awesome at high revs
Posted via Mobile Device

Old July 31st, 2011, 06:41 PM   #34
Gurk
Done here.

Quote:
Wow! I could hear you leaving for a good minute, that MGP sounds awesome at high revs
Posted via Mobile Device
Very nice meeting you. Remind me your friend's name again? I have the worst memory ever

Old July 31st, 2011, 07:16 PM   #35
adri99an

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

Welcome and congrats!

My wife and I met in Hermosa. We lived in RB for many years!
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2011, 07:32 PM   #36
Gurk
Done here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adri99an View Post
Welcome and congrats!

My wife and I met in Hermosa. We lived in RB for many years!
Thanks! I met a guy from RB in my MSF course. Cool! Looks like we have a good number of ninjetters around. Though you moved out I guess? Not too far from the beach hopefully!

Old July 31st, 2011, 07:34 PM   #37
adri99an

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

Too far! I'm in Glendora now- wife's hometown. We got married, started a family and now we're here. We miss the beach area but we purchased our home here. You gotta come ride GMR one day. One of the best twisites in L.A. County. Google it if youre not familiar with it.
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2011, 07:37 PM   #38
Gurk
Done here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adri99an View Post
Too far! I'm in Glendora now- wife's hometown. We got married, started a family and now we're here. We miss the beach area but we purchased our home here. You gotta come ride GMR one day. One of the best twisites in L.A. County. Google it if youre not familiar with it.
Sure will. When I'm ready

Old July 31st, 2011, 07:41 PM   #39
kyrider

Name: Bobbert

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

Awesome bike!

You did well!!!!

My next bike will be a new gen or a 636.

I think I am going to get my daughter Final Cut Studio. She will soon be applying to Stanford and is interested in writing. She has talked with play write Reed Fish(love that movie!) and he has been very cool. Would you care if she asked you for some advice?
kyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2011, 07:57 PM   #40
Gurk
Done here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrider View Post
Awesome bike!

You did well!!!!

My next bike will be a new gen or a 636.

I think I am going to get my daughter Final Cut Studio. She will soon be applying to Stanford and is interested in writing. She has talked with play write Reed Fish and he has been very cool. Would you care if she asked you for some advice?
For sure! I'll do my best. I'm more trained in graphic design/animation but I sure did participated in student/personal projects as writer/director/editor. Worst case, I could at least point to websites/tutorials/people who/where she can learn from.

If she's gonna cut movies together, yeah, you can't go wrong with FC. But I'd check with Stanford too. (congrats btw!!!) There's been times where I used a different program than what my school uses and it MIGHT cause problems when she works at school's labs. Not a big deal though, you end up learning all programs at some point, to some extent.