ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 10th, 2011, 09:52 PM   #41
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearlynotstefan View Post
Dude, your gonna do what you want to do, and so I wish you the best, but try to realize this. We have a great group of riders, and frankly, good people on this forum. You pitched an idea to us over the course of several threads, and the overwhelming opinion was that it is not a good idea. It just didn't fly man, at this point, I would either start paying attention, or stop wasting your own time trying to convince people there wrong and just do what you gotta do.

I hope I don't sound like an asshole, I'm not trying to, I just think it's pretty clear at this point that most of us don't think buying a second bike for these purposes is a smart move.
To start off I pitched the idea on only one thread not several; that original idea was to buy a second bike simply for practice. After hearing people response's and discussing the matter with Goodwife Setasai, I refined the idea to instead make the bike more or less indestructible. This thread is about building said bike. As far as the overwhelming idea being that this is not a good idea, there are currently 7 people who have offered to invest either money, time, labor, services, beer, or parts to the project, and I consider that to be a strong backing.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that they are wrong, they are trying to convince me that I am wrong. And no you don't sound like an asshole, most assholes are generally rather quite and are incapable of speech. As far as buying a second bike not being a smart move, welp, we'll just have to see about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanF View Post
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
1. Your new bike is missing the rear fender.

2. Its a beautiful bike and doesn't deserve to be defaced in the manner you speak.

3. The only truly "Deathproof" bike is one that is ridden by a dead man.
1. For real? Bummer, its ok though, we can try and fabricate a new one

2. The bike will stay beautiful and is not going to be defaced at all. When I do go to sell it (if ever) it will look exactly as it does in the above pictures. Also, the bike will have an all new 100% custom look that is going to be quite thrilling.

3. Ok fine, I wont drive it off of any cliffs. We haven't even considered where to add a parachute anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsrTek View Post
If I where creating this I for sure would crash test the 1" PVC pipe before ever putting it on or making a roll cage on the bike with it.

Not sure how you would test it, maybe drop it off a buildings roof onto an empty parking lot (make sure you got a broom to clean that lot afterwards).

I don't think any thickness of PVC will work for your intended purpose, besides making a for a good 'mock up' of what the real roll cage will be put together.

I am all for the project, we can't tell you what to do with your bike(s), but please at least make sure what you want to use will be safe, BEFORE it's actually needed to keep you safe!!
Well of course we will make sure its safe! We are also considering ideas for reinforcing the PVC pipe. Obviously, we still need to test these ideas to see if they can withstand the forces applied. The point of the roll cage is to distribute the stress of the fall. I'm pretty sure PVC pipe (whether reinforced or not) would be able to withstand the impact from the fall without breaking. The only question is, how much PVC pipe will that require. When we do actually test this stuff out I will report my findings on this thread. If the pipe is inadequate, then we will not use it and shall focus on a different solution.

Also I would like to thank you for adding a comment that is actually useful to the project. We were going to do this anyway but if we for some reason foolishly weren't going to, you would have set us back on track

To everyone...

I implore you, for one moment, to think of an idea or suggestion that would be useful towards the project. Yes you can call me a dumbass and criticize the project all you want, but I would also like at least 1 positive suggestion towards the completion of this project. Just pretend for a second that it is a good idea, What would you do to make it even better?
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2011, 10:54 PM   #42
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

I'll spare you my opinion, since its similar to everyone elses, but I gotta say it just looks flat out retarded the way I'm visualizing it, but that's probably quite a bit different than the way you are. That being said I think its also b/a that you're doing something unique to the bike and who cares if its a pristine near mint condition purty red bike, you might as well smash a hole in the fairings then repair it for the extra practice :P. The moment you bought this 250 its fate was forever changed, and I'm very interested to see how you fashion said crash cage and if the PVC will even hold up (I don't think it will) I wish you luck on your endeavor and respect for trying something new! Also if this actually works out everyone's gonna be eating it lol! We might all learn something too!
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2011, 10:57 PM   #43
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Name: Stefan

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250, Totally black. Gsxr 600 Red.

Regarding the PVC pipe, You need to make sure it holds to some degree, but keep in mind that if it absorbs the impact, and breaks in the process that its not really a bad thing...Think crumple zones in a car... As for my positive suggestion, take out life insurance.
Clearlynotstefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2011, 10:59 PM   #44
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Crashproof bike: http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...ike-16110.html

This is actually one of the options we were discussing. Essentially putting training wheels on the bike, but at maximum lean anlge. Clearly we wouldn't be able to make something this advanced right off the bat but something a little more simplistic would be possible.
Still a stupid idea?

Quote:
If someone were to ask what is the most important thing about riding sport motorcycles, what would you answer? You'll probably say that it's going around corners. Your ability to negotiate turns will make all the difference on how fast and how smoothly you can ride a sportbike.

Even if you live in the flat American Midwest, you'll eventually have to learn how negotiate a corner or two.

A few years ago Keith Code placed outriggers on a motorcycle to allow students to experience -- without highsiding -- how it feels when the front brake of a motorcycle is locked. Later, he discovered that many students questioned a motorcycle's ability to lean. A new tool was needed, so Code created the Lean Bike.

Basically, the Lean Bike is a 1997 ZX-6R equipped with a set of outriggers that act like training wheels. The outriggers consist of a steel frame, hard rubber wheels and a pneumatically controlled lean damper system. To adjust the lean angle you push the horn button, which releases tension on the lean-damper. You can change the lean angle without releasing pressure, but it is difficult.

I rode the Lean/Slide Machine on a skid pad at the Streets of Willow Springs. First, an instructor hopped on the bike and repeatedly tried to highside. To date, no one has been able to flick it, but it is not immune to lowsides, so a bit of faith is involved. If you go too slowly, the bike can fall down. Also, while the bike itself is highside-proof, the rider is not. If you are not very careful, you can fly off the bike.

Right away I noticed that the bike doesn't steer: It feels like it has a sidecar on both sides. However, once the horn button is pushed the tension on the outriggers is released the bike may be leaned over. This is the biggest stumbling block for many students. Without the tension, they don't believe that the outriggers will help keep the bike upright and they are afraid to lean the bike. However, those who overcome their mistrust will make huge improvements.

I was at a slight lean when I pushed the button. Next, the bike slammed all the way over to full lean. Once there, if you trust it, you can experiment with body positioning. This will upset a normal bike, but not Lean Bike very much. After a few minutes of riding around in a big circle (and fighting dizziness), I was dragging knee.

Next the instructor popped off the seat and upped the rev-limiter. Now the Lean Bike was the Slide Bike. He challenged me to ride the bike and try to highside. The first time I tried I spent a lot of time getting over our inhibitions about throttle control, but eventually I just whacked it. Of course, I did what the Slide Bike is supposed to teach me not to do: Chop the throttle. I was sent sprawling onto the windshield but not flying through the air as would have been the case without the outriggers. After doing this a few times I asked the instructor how to slide the rear wheel.

The instructor explained that the trick is not to chop the throttle, which is a natural tendency, but to stay on the throttle and allow the bike catch up. He also explained that on a set of race-compound tires even Keith Code, at least at skid-pad speeds, had a hard time getting the rear to break loose. I was only on a set of sorry looking Dunlop 204s but they still stuck better than I thought they would.

Eventually I produced a few controlled slides. This is not to say that learning how to control a rear-wheel slide easy, but the Slide Bike is a good tool on which to learn. There are other ways to learn how to slide the rear wheel. For instance, flat track racing is an excellent way. Of course, there is also the good old-fashioned way: Trial and error on the street. However, flat track racing is very expensive and trial and error can be just as expensive (repair bills) and even more painful (medical bills). The Slide Bike is by far much less expensive and painful. If you're like me, and you prefer to keep money in the bank and your body in one piece, I recommend the Slide Bike.

The Lean Bike is available to students at California Superbike School in any level. The Slide Bike is for Level Three students and above.
AFM #676

Old September 10th, 2011, 11:10 PM   #45
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

The safest thing you could do would be to put 13/54 gears on to go super slow and get a full suit and boots and helmet and stay in a parking lot with a fire extinguisher and frame sliders and a friend with a camera and a fast route to the hospital.

Anything else should be at the track (or so they say.. and I begin to believe slowly)
Unless you're in for a 75% cruise through the canyon. Even then I like slow canyons.

I agree I didn't think well of the PVC idea at first. But it's possible you could find some 6" diameter 1" thick PVC pipe that won't snap or something and make a frame slider form it I suppose so I won't open my mouth there yet. Hopefully you have the brains to pick some burly PVC for whatever it is you plan to bolt on there.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2011, 11:13 PM   #46
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
I'll spare you my opinion, since its similar to everyone elses, but I gotta say it just looks flat out retarded the way I'm visualizing it, but that's probably quite a bit different than the way you are. That being said I think its also b/a that you're doing something unique to the bike and who cares if its a pristine near mint condition purty red bike, you might as well smash a hole in the fairings then repair it for the extra practice :P. The moment you bought this 250 its fate was forever changed, and I'm very interested to see how you fashion said crash cage and if the PVC will even hold up (I don't think it will) I wish you luck on your endeavor and respect for trying something new! Also if this actually works out everyone's gonna be eating it lol! We might all learn something too!
It ain't always about looks Without the pipes the bike is going to look awesome, with the pipes I'm not so sure. Functionality > Cosmetics.

I'll keep you posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearlynotstefan View Post
Regarding the PVC pipe, You need to make sure it holds to some degree, but keep in mind that if it absorbs the impact, and breaks in the process that its not really a bad thing...Think crumple zones in a car... As for my positive suggestion, take out life insurance.
This guy gets it. Of course the idea is to use something that won't break from one fall, but as long as it does its job and protects the bike and the rider then the pipes will be successful (to a degree).

Don't you mean health insurance? Got some

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
The safest thing you could do would be to put 13/54 gears on to go super slow and get a full suit and boots and helmet and stay in a parking lot with a fire extinguisher and frame sliders and a friend with a camera and a fast route to the hospital.

Anything else should be at the track (or so they say.. and I begin to believe slowly)
Unless you're in for a 75% cruise through the canyon. Even then I like slow canyons.

I agree I didn't think well of the PVC idea at first. But it's possible you could find some 6" diameter 1" thick PVC pipe that won't snap or something and make a frame slider form it I suppose so I won't open my mouth there yet.
We will likely re-gear the bike at some point. When riding this bike we will always be ATGATT. Fire extinguishers are not a bad idea, and of course video will always be rolling.

Track Shmack :P
AFM #676

Old September 10th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #47
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

The only thing is dude the leaning training wheels can flip you if not designed perfect. That's why they use their knee or that perfectly designed bike you link to. That's some high tech stuff right there.

There's another bike I saw with some side wheels on it for leaning but it's built just right and they track with it often and know how to not crash it.

I worry if you make a ground contact item it can flip you, too. Be weary of this. Akin to hitting a peg scrape too hard and getting a high or lowside.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2011, 11:19 PM   #48
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
The only thing is dude the leaning training wheels can flip you if not designed perfect. That's why they use their knee or that perfectly designed bike you link to. That's some high tech stuff right there.

There's another bike I saw with some side wheels on it for leaning but it's built just right and they track with it often and know how to not crash it.

I worry if you make a ground contact item it can flip you, too. Be weary of this. Akin to hitting a peg scrape too hard and getting a high or lowside.
Slow and steady wins the race. Proper testing will be given to every modification to ensure it is safe
AFM #676

Old September 11th, 2011, 03:30 AM   #49
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
2. The bike will stay beautiful and is not going to be defaced at all. When I do go to sell it (if ever) it will look exactly as it does in the above pictures. Also, the bike will have an all new 100% custom look that is going to be quite thrilling.
Ok, now I wont worry so much.

Quote:
Crashproof bike: http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...ike-16110.html

This is actually one of the options we were discussing. Essentially putting training wheels on the bike, but at maximum lean anlge. Clearly we wouldn't be able to make something this advanced right off the bat but something a little more simplistic would be possible.
Still a stupid idea?

Ok, now I understand what you are talking about. You should have just said you wanted to put training wheels on your bike. The ones on the bike in the article look like they would be more trouble than they are worth. Look how far out they go. They are definitely going to make lane splitting more interesting. Also, it looks like the rider will be confined to the center of the lane - right on top of the grease strip. That's not really a good place to be - especially in the rain.

One other problem is that the maximum lean angle is not really a constant. It kindof depends on your speed and turning radius. Do you plan computer controlled servos to dynamically adjust for that?

Maybe one of these would be better:

Nevertheless, I wish you all the luck in the world to pull off your latest innovation.

Old September 11th, 2011, 05:29 AM   #50
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

You guys talk about training wheels like they can stop collisional impact. :S

Old September 11th, 2011, 06:31 AM   #51
n4mwd

At first I thought he was talking about gluing a roll bar cage made out of PVC pipe to the bike. Now it sounds more like he's mainly looking at making outrigger training wheels for the bike.

A drawing would really answer a lot of questions.

Old September 11th, 2011, 09:32 AM   #52
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Yeah, a drawing would be awesome.

I was telling Peter about your project last night and, once he got past wanting to buy our own extra Ninjas to build a go-kart, he thought it sounded interesting.

He's a big +a million on not using the PVC because of its propensity to shatter/shard and its very poor UV-resistance. Though we were thinking of it as a roll cage, too, which would be a big difference (well, except for the UV problem; that would still exist). He works with PVC a lot for various projects and his concern is that sharded PVC is incredibly sharp. He understands that if something breaks in a crash, that's not the end of the world, but a broken shard of PVC could easily pierce motorcycle gear and if your helmet was cracked open....that wouldn't be good.

I'm glad to hear that you're maybe not thinking of a roll cage because as Peter and I discussed it, we couldn't come up with a scenario where it wouldn't raise the CoG too much and make the bike *more* dangerous.

He was big on the idea of essentially making the Ninjette into a Sparrow, which he thinks can be done fairly easily.

Old September 11th, 2011, 10:48 AM   #53
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

Yess... a roll cage with training wheels, that's awesome!!

How about a plumb line to measure lean angle, and an anchor to assist emergency braking? Don't forget balloons all around for impact cushioning...

Anyone with graphics skills wants to make a sketch?
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2011, 10:58 AM   #54
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

wait if you put a roll cage dont you need a seatbelt :S

Old September 11th, 2011, 10:58 AM   #55
5evenz
ninjette.org member

Name: Sev

Motorcycle(s): 09' 250r Thunder Blue

Bottom line its cool.
If you got the time Giver'. oh and throw a scary ass skull on it.
5evenz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2011, 01:13 PM   #56
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i'm sorry but pvc is a horrible idea. look at the lean bike from the superbike school. thats steel, not plastic. there's a difference. if you want to make something that's supposed to stand up to a CRASH, not just some puny 0mph drop on the side, plastic isn't going to do jack diddly. reinforcing plastic? if you have to reinforce it why use it in the first place? if you want it to actually work, and not be an expensive waste of time, use the right tool for the job. make a real crash cage, out of METAL. not something that WILL break the first time it touches the ground. and i HAVE witnessed this first hand (though it wasn't my bike). pvs pipe is not strong. its not light. it's designed to be cheap. it's designed to HOLD WATER.

Old September 11th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #57
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i'm sorry but pvc is a horrible idea. look at the lean bike from the superbike school. thats steel, not plastic. there's a difference. if you want to make something that's supposed to stand up to a CRASH, not just some puny 0mph drop on the side, plastic isn't going to do jack diddly. reinforcing plastic? if you have to reinforce it why use it in the first place? if you want it to actually work, and not be an expensive waste of time, use the right tool for the job. make a real crash cage, out of METAL. not something that WILL break the first time it touches the ground. and i HAVE witnessed this first hand (though it wasn't my bike). pvs pipe is not strong. its not light. it's designed to be cheap. it's designed to HOLD WATER.
Relax. It's not like we're dead set on using PVC (no pun intended). It was just an idea, a criteria if you will. We're just bouncing ideas off this vast forum with all the knowledgable people around. The idea is to try something new and for our plan something that has some flexibility like rubber or PVC to dampen the forces of an impact/slide and at the SAME time has some level of durability that it wouldnt shatter on impact.

For what it's worth to all those of you that have posted before with unproductive comments, is it really necessary to post only to say "lame idea"? As Sean has said, if you have ideas on how to further this project then please let us know but otherwise, I'd prefer to keep this thread clean of further flaming. I would also like to thank those that are concerned with his/our safety trying out something so radical but I assure you that we wont just go ahead and stick spears on the bike and run it into a brick wall, regardless on how Sean has worded it.

Good point on the center of gravity and GoKart! That sounds wonderful. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #58
NathanF
ninjette.org member

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 V-Strom 650 ABS

Quote:

Foiled again! In the mean time...

NathanF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #59
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Concerning the rollcage/pvc/sliders, we won't be getting into those mods for quite a while. For now, they are just untested ideas and we will look into different ways to prevent harm and damage. As for the pipe shattering, if we wrap it in silicon/truckbed liner/ fiberglass, that would make it sturdier and if it did break, wouldn't create harmful shards. Perhaps some type of custom slider system will be better. We won't know until we can test it.

The roll cage/slider/other ideas, will be used for lowspeed. A training wheel system would be used for more highspeed stuff. Can we make something that won't flip the bike and crash into a nuclear reactor causing the deaths of millions of people? I don't know, I've never tried this before.

I want you all to know I understand your concerns about the PVC not being strong enough. I'm still going to test it just to see what kind of stress it can endure. But until that time comes I think we can move past the PVC idea.

The next steps on this project are to return the bike to stock, fix the handlebars, and other bent levers, wheel alignment, rewire blinkers. Once the bike is running and riding like it should then we will start the actual mods. First mod up will be reshaping and reinforcing the fairings, and probably painting them too. After that we will look into the different systems to make the bike crashproof i.e. PVC, slider system, wheel bars, etc.

Slider System: We are thinking of attaching multiple sliders to the bike and possibly connecting them so that stress is distributed evenly across them all in the event of a 'crash'. Comments on this idea are much appreciated, consider weight, size, material, etc.

Drawing: I'm a terrible artist and so is Colonel Major Setasai. I suppose I could MS Paint one.....

Damn that bitch is sexy

I may need to go buy some new rims though

Picked up a gallon of Herculiner $50 and 2 cans of GreatStuff $10
AFM #676

Old September 11th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #60
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I may need to go buy some new rims though

I literally just laughed out loud and frightened a cat.

Our garage is always available to you any time if you need it. We have a lift, a crapton of various tools, and Peter is an electrical/structural/engineering wizard.

Old September 11th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #61
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof View Post

Our garage is always available to you any time if you need it. We have a lift, a crapton of various tools, and Peter is an electrical/structural/engineering wizard.
Thank you for the offer! Anything we are unable to do by ourselves we will definitely enlist your help! Only problem is that my only day off each week is Monday so that would be the only day we could make the trip.
AFM #676

Old September 11th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #62
setasai

Quote:

Very cool. I've always wondered how some families can deal with not having tools at their home. I was spending time with my GF in her home in socal and her entire family did not even have a screwdriver. It was so frustrating for me to fix a couple door knobs and install a lcd wall mount. Ended up spending more on some basic tools than the mount itself. Strange thing is none of her friends family's had tools either. Oh wells, brownie points for me so I win!

Old September 11th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #63
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
As for the pipe shattering, if we wrap it in silicon/truckbed liner/ fiberglass, that would make it sturdier and if it did break, wouldn't create harmful shards.
no. and yes, it would. they would just be harmful shards with bedliner on them. the word you're looking for is "steel tube". there's a reason the crash kits you buy at the store aren't made of plastic.

Old September 11th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #64
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
no. and yes, it would. they would just be harmful shards with bedliner on them. the word you're looking for is "steel tube". there's a reason the crash kits you buy at the store aren't made of plastic.
Cuz plastic is cheaper and they want your monies!
AFM #676

Old September 11th, 2011, 10:30 PM   #65
Suave
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
i don't mean to be negative but do you really think bedliner and pvc is going to make the bike "undamageable"?
I think it's a great idea. In fact I'm gonna call the President and ask if he's thought about lining all of our tanks and Humvees with bedliner so they are impervious to damage. You are so illogical Alex. Gosh!

Jiggles, this sounds like a waste of time, money, and maybe some limbs or your life. With all do respect Just know that bedliner and plastic isn't going to make a significant difference. You're better off taking the fairings off, and even better off leaving them on and driving it like you wanna keep it.

Old September 11th, 2011, 10:34 PM   #66
Suave
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Cuz plastic is cheaper and they want your monies!
I hope you aren't being serious lol I mean, they have to pay for the metal too.

Old September 11th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #67
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suave View Post
I think it's a great idea. In fact I'm gonna call the President and ask if he's thought about lining all of our tanks and Humvees with bedliner so they are impervious to damage. You are so illogical Alex. Gosh!
That comment was so humorless it gave me cancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suave View Post
Jiggles, this sounds like a waste of time, money, and maybe some limbs or your life. With all do respect Just know that bedliner and plastic isn't going to make a significant difference. You're better off taking the fairings off, and even better off leaving them on and driving it like you wanna keep it.
First off, you haven't added any novel information to this thread making your post 100% useless. You also have no idea what will happen once I implement my designs because you are an ignorant fool. Had you taken a few minutes to read through this thread, or possible even consider the idea, you could have made a relevant and interesting post. But no. I'm not sure what has compelled you to reiterate the opinions of other posters but I can assure you no one cares to read your banal responses.

Now then, redeem yourself and think of an interesting idea to contribute to the project or get out of our thread.

By the way, when this does work, I will rub it in your face
AFM #676

Old September 12th, 2011, 04:07 AM   #68
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Seems to me the "deathproof" title has rubbed people the wrong way. People are imagining purposefully dangerous riding and a false sense of security from having the bike protected. Putting a "deathproof" bike into the hands of the redneck squids out there is a sure invitation to death.

But as a lark, building a bike that can be cheaply repaired or not damaged in a stupid driveway or lowspeed dump, like most new riders experience, isn't a terrible idea. Nor is a bike that has tools built in to make it potentially safer to ride for someone just learning. Just a fun little project, with the benefit that they'll be ankle deep in bike parts on the weekend, which is a fun place to be.

California Superbike School has some cool features on its bikes to help learning be safer, like its lean bike, its no bs bike, and its panic brake bike. They strap all sorts of stuff on their machines to keep people from hurting themselves while learning. Taken in that context, with some respect for Setasai thrown in, this seems like an interesting, if a bit silly, project. Provided no one goes out thinking they can ride without needing to be cautious about safety.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 09:05 AM   #69
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Seems to me the "deathproof" title has rubbed people the wrong way. People are imagining purposefully dangerous riding and a false sense of security from having the bike protected. Putting a "deathproof" bike into the hands of the redneck squids out there is a sure invitation to death.

But as a lark, building a bike that can be cheaply repaired or not damaged in a stupid driveway or lowspeed dump, like most new riders experience, isn't a terrible idea. Nor is a bike that has tools built in to make it potentially safer to ride for someone just learning. Just a fun little project, with the benefit that they'll be ankle deep in bike parts on the weekend, which is a fun place to be.

California Superbike School has some cool features on its bikes to help learning be safer, like its lean bike, its no bs bike, and its panic brake bike. They strap all sorts of stuff on their machines to keep people from hurting themselves while learning. Taken in that context, with some respect for Setasai thrown in, this seems like an interesting, if a bit silly, project. Provided no one goes out thinking they can ride without needing to be cautious about safety.
Thank you. Well worded. It's going to be tough but definitely a great learning experience.

Old September 12th, 2011, 09:27 AM   #70
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:

This guy gets it. I'm interested to hear any ideas you may have to advance the project.
AFM #676

Old September 12th, 2011, 09:45 AM   #71
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Glad gfloyd was able to put it into words! There's no better place than ankle deep in bike parts, though somehow I always end up neck deep.

Old September 12th, 2011, 09:57 AM   #72
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6

Why not just buy a stunt bike off craiglist?
zilaniz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 10:07 AM   #73
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilaniz View Post
Why not just buy a stunt bike off craiglist?
No other reason than we didnt want to. It's about the process. No nearly as fun if someone does all the hard work for you. Plus this way if we decide to scrap the project, we'll still have a nearly perfect bike to resell.

Hey does anybody know of a way to get a replacement centerstand for cheap? Bikebandit.com has it for over $80 so maybe half that or something. Somehow, dont ask us how, the previous previous owner got the left leg all twisted and now it sticks out farther than the footpegs which is ridiculously dangerous. Ask Sean how he knows.

Old September 12th, 2011, 10:08 AM   #74
setasai

Quote:
Glad gfloyd was able to put it into words! There's no better place than ankle deep in bike parts, though somehow I always end up neck deep.
If Peter ends up neck deep then you'd be swimming in it.

Old September 12th, 2011, 10:13 AM   #75
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

This has to be the most ridiculous thing ive ever heard. I hope you understand the forces that are involved in a crash. If youve never been down then you have no idea. I had a 1.5" poll sticking off the back of my bike with a wooden dowel screwed into it, and it broke off after a stupid little wheelie. When/if you crash your just going to have a lot of sharp objects ****ing your **** up. Just take it slow and learn how to ride, or spend $2000 on a racing school and use there bike, seems smarter to me

Old September 12th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #76
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
Somehow, dont ask us how, the previous previous owner got the left leg all twisted and now it sticks out farther than the footpegs which is ridiculously dangerous. Ask Sean how he knows.
Is it broken beyond repair or do you just need the left leg broken off and re-welded back on?

Old September 12th, 2011, 12:24 PM   #77
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
it's hammer time

Old September 12th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #78
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 01:00 PM   #79
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Name: L

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R, '13 CBR500R

so what the OP is saying he wants to ride a cager.
gt_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #80
n4mwd

Quote:

That really looks like a great school. Might be worth a trip out there. I wonder if they have anything closer to FL.

Regarding PVC: I'm not a mechanical engineer, but my gut tells me you'll want to use chromoly steel. Its super strong and easy to weld with oxy acetylene. I'm pretty sure that the bike frame itself is made from chromoly.

Considering the cost of all the PVC fittings and pipe, it might be similar in price too.