ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 17th, 2011, 05:33 PM   #1
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Name: Stefan

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250, Totally black. Gsxr 600 Red.

Almost died today!

Quite the scare. I'm going to try my best to explain this. Theres an amazingly twisty back road near my house that bikes travel a good distance to ride, it's amazing, it's like a track. So I'm pushing it a little, figuring it could be the last good day of the season here (still f'n cold today!) I do my first run pretty slow to check for sand and such, and the second pretty fast, but still within my limits around how I usually ride it. I'm coming around a pretty tight corner, roughly 65-70 mph, really really low lean, and hanging almost entirely off the bike. Feeling good, good line, everything, no sand, nothing. My back wheel loses traction completely, sending me sliding sideways into the turn (no braking btw) I'm literally sliding through the corner almost perpendicular to the road, hanging off the inside of the bike, and with my ass literally an inch off the ground. I'm thinking Its going to regain traction, and launch me into a tree. I counter steer out of instinct to reposition the back tire, once I was almost lined up the bike regained traction, shaking me violently to the outside, but not bucking me off. I right my position, and ride home! I WISH I had this on camera, because it was a MIRACLE recovery, and frankly, I'm quite proud that I didn't panic, and handled it correctly. I can honestly say I've never hit my ass on the ground while riding a motorcycle mid corner, but I did today, and the bike never went down or scraped any hard parts (inside footpeg was scraping mid slide). I honestly feel like if that happened exactly like it did 100 more times, I would wreck all 100 of them. The lean was just right for the velocity I was sliding forward to not lowside, or pull me over the top. It was NUTS. It only was maybe 2 seconds long, but it felt like a lifetime. Crazy!
Clearlynotstefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2011, 05:44 PM   #2
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Name: Peanut

Motorcycle(s): Green 2013 ZX-6R

Exactly why I ride my ZX-6R like a little bitch on the street. I don't trust streets. Go to a track. You will love it! Are you still using the stock tires? If you are they probably had something to do with the slide. I recommend not waiting until they're worn out to replace them. Bridgestone BT-003's 110 front and 140 rear are great tires and they're cheap.

Old September 17th, 2011, 05:47 PM   #3
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Leaf or pebble or patch of sand.
Unless your position was all wrong.

Glad you's OK to participate. Well done for riding it out.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2011, 05:49 PM   #4
kingkang204
ninjette.org guru

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): Bike-less, Can I ride yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut_EOD View Post
Exactly why I ride my ZX-6R like a little bitch on the street. I don't trust streets. Go to a track. You will love it! Are you still using the stock tires? If you are they probably had something to do with the slide. I recommend not waiting until they're worn out to replace them. Bridgestone BT-003's 110 front and 140 rear are great tires and they're cheap.
I want to go out on the track sooo badly, but its sooo expensive to get into initially. Race Suit, Race Boots, Race Gloves maybe this up coming summer.

Old September 17th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #5
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

You should be riding in all that gear every day on the street too.
I don't leave home on a bike without a full race getup. Full length back protector and all.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2011, 09:15 PM   #6
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

I was on the gsxr, not the 250. Neither bike has the stock tires though. I was fully geared, and honestly, not pushing THAT hard. I still am not quite sure what happened, but its a miracle I stayed up.

Old September 17th, 2011, 10:40 PM   #7
KELPHYN
ninjette.org guru

Name: Calvin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), 2013 300SE

cold pavement + cold tires =O-ring test. Best thing is you didn't panic and kept your head. And now you know the effect pavement temperature has on traction. Bet that was longest split second of your life. Now also remember that with the cooler temperature in the mornings and evenings there will be dew on the roads making them slipperier yet. And in the afternoons when you thing it is nice and warm, the pavement is still cold and tires just don't get up to temperature like they do in the summer. Greatly reducing the amount of traction you are used to having. Stay smart.Stay safe. Sat alive.
KELPHYN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2011, 11:27 PM   #8
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KELPHYN View Post
cold pavement + cold tires =O-ring test. Best thing is you didn't panic and kept your head. And now you know the effect pavement temperature has on traction. Bet that was longest split second of your life. Now also remember that with the cooler temperature in the mornings and evenings there will be dew on the roads making them slipperier yet. And in the afternoons when you thing it is nice and warm, the pavement is still cold and tires just don't get up to temperature like they do in the summer. Greatly reducing the amount of traction you are used to having. Stay smart.Stay safe. Sat alive.

Eh, it wasn't that cold. And my tires were def not cold, It's a 20 min ride to the road, and it wasn't my first run, nor did I break. The road was cold, but certainly not abnormally so, I'd bet many of you live with colder roads nearly year round! Trust me, I thought of tire temperature, and it was late afternoon, dry day, no dew. I appreciate the kind words, staying cool saved my ass here lol.

Old September 18th, 2011, 12:18 AM   #9
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

Wow, that's amazing. Glad to hear you're still with us. If your tires were good and warm, it must have been something on the road. Although with cooler temps around I feel the (stock) tires are starting to get a bit 'greasy' at times, even mid-ride... esp the rear one. How old are your tires BTW?

So what did you do to recover? Just counter-steered at full lean? It does sound like a pure luck you haven't high-sided...
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2011, 01:10 AM   #10
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Similar thing happened to me on my way home from work, except I wasn't hauling arse around a canyon, I was making a simple left turn and I hit some sort of slick spot + it was only about 60 degrees and my rear tire slid out to the point of no return and I was 100% sure I was about to crash but it started to regain traction which then made think OMFG HIGHSIDE AHHHHHHH and then it just stood back up and kept going. All I have to say is sh*t happens no matter what and I LOVE MY BIKE. Glad we both made it out unharmed
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2011, 04:31 AM   #11
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Same here. Had the rear tire slide out on a right turn. Got it back OK and rode on. Definitely something that will wake you up for sure. In my case, I think it was sand that did it.

Old September 18th, 2011, 06:31 AM   #12
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearlynotstefan View Post
Quite the scare. I'm going to try my best to explain this. Theres an amazingly twisty back road near my house that bikes travel a good distance to ride, it's amazing, it's like a track. So I'm pushing it a little, figuring it could be the last good day of the season here (still f'n cold today!) I do my first run pretty slow to check for sand and such, and the second pretty fast, but still within my limits around how I usually ride it. I'm coming around a pretty tight corner, roughly 65-70 mph, really really low lean, and hanging almost entirely off the bike. Feeling good, good line, everything, no sand, nothing. My back wheel loses traction completely, sending me sliding sideways into the turn (no braking btw) I'm literally sliding through the corner almost perpendicular to the road, hanging off the inside of the bike, and with my ass literally an inch off the ground. I'm thinking Its going to regain traction, and launch me into a tree. I counter steer out of instinct to reposition the back tire, once I was almost lined up the bike regained traction, shaking me violently to the outside, but not bucking me off. I right my position, and ride home! I WISH I had this on camera, because it was a MIRACLE recovery, and frankly, I'm quite proud that I didn't panic, and handled it correctly. I can honestly say I've never hit my ass on the ground while riding a motorcycle mid corner, but I did today, and the bike never went down or scraped any hard parts (inside footpeg was scraping mid slide). I honestly feel like if that happened exactly like it did 100 more times, I would wreck all 100 of them. The lean was just right for the velocity I was sliding forward to not lowside, or pull me over the top. It was NUTS. It only was maybe 2 seconds long, but it felt like a lifetime. Crazy!
Well written! Enjoyed reading that. It must have been intense! Sounds like you've got some skills, to have been able to keep your head like that.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2011, 06:20 AM   #13
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (Blue!)

Phew, my butt puckered just reading that. Glad you're ok, stay safe out there.
LazinCajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2011, 01:28 PM   #14
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Jesus man, glad you're ok and all. I've yet to push the limits on my bike (being a beginner helps), but I have tons of wet/oily spots, sand, and random debris around where I live. Great job on the recovery, it could have been alot worse. Be safe out there.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote