ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old September 9th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #1
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

Cheapest place you know to get MC style leather vests

We're thinking of getting leather vests with our unit logo sewn on for every motorcyle rider in my unit and are looking for a cheap place to buy them from. We will need about 20 of them, maybe more. So does anyone know of a good place that can be trusted that we can deal with.

Bonus points if they're made in the US and like a mom and pop type of shop so we can support the local economies. Also, we're all Marines so even more bonus points if they're military friendly and can give us a slight discount or bonus.

Thanks in advance for the help

#KCCO
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #2
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
I've always put vests in the category of least-useful motorcycle clothing. Good for village people costumes, when paired with assless chaps, but not much else.

You'd wear these over other gear, right?

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #3
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

There are a few guys here in "clubs" that actually wear them over proper gear.

Not sure where to look, maybe try local leather good stores run by mom and pops. There are quite a few here in EP but I doubt they are made in the USA, more like hencho en mexico.
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 01:52 PM   #4
YORCHI
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
I've always put vests in the category of least-useful motorcycle clothing. Good for village people costumes, when paired with assless chaps, but not much else.

You'd wear these over other gear, right?
yes we are required by regulations to always wear long pants, at least a long sleeve shirt, full fingered gloves, and a regulation helmet. If we ride on base then we have to wear a bright reflective vest as well but we're not on a base so we can just wear a long sleeve shirt.

Every rider in my unit wears a jacket so these vests would go over the jacket when we do our mandatory group rides.

#KCCO

Old September 12th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
assless chaps
Aren't all chaps "assless"? If they weren't, wouldn't they just be "pants"?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 02:52 PM   #6
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Pack of hardcore 250 riders!!! Represent boy!!!
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #7
YORCHI
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Pack of hardcore 250 riders!!! Represent boy!!!
lol no I'm the only one with a 250. It's for my job, we have to have a motorcycle club and go on group rides every few months to promote safety and team building.

#KCCO

Old September 12th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #8
sixer
no joy

Name: Six

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 2006 636

Cyclegear not sure if they are US made tho- is anything made in the us anymore??
Posted via Mobile Device
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 04:07 PM   #9
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Aren't all chaps "assless"? If they weren't, wouldn't they just be "pants"?
Perhaps. But that doesn't make typing the word assless any less fun. Particularly in reference to the Village People. Plus, assless chaps implies no pants underneath the chaps. I'd post a photo as evidence, but TOS may prohibit that.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #10
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Quote:
Originally Posted by YORCHI View Post
lol no I'm the only one with a 250. It's for my job, we have to have a motorcycle club and go on group rides every few months to promote safety and team building.
How does one get this job...
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #11
YORCHI
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
How does one get this job...
Contact your local Marine recruiter

www.marines.com

#KCCO

Old September 12th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #12
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

With mc style vests dont you need to be packing. :O jk x]

Old September 12th, 2011, 08:17 PM   #13
DarC
DUCEATR

Quote:

Glad to see at least two branches are doing rides (best initiative the DoD has implemented yet). We go monthly and it's mandatory that you make one per quarter. Best part is that if you are coming up on the end of the quarter and haven't made your ride it's mandatory that you show up rather than go to work. They actually force us to ride our bikes and have a good time...then they pay us. I guess they are just trying to make it up for those years they had me humping in places with alphabet names.
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.

Old September 12th, 2011, 08:40 PM   #14
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Quote:
Contact your local Marine recruiter

www.marines.com

but exactly why do they require you to do group rides etc. I figure that must be more specific than just the marines
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 08:45 PM   #15
DarC
DUCEATR

It's a DoD directive to implement a comprehensive safety network in order to help with the military's problem of losing young soldiers to preventable accidents. In the Army we call it the motorcycle mentor program where the experienced riders are responsible for handing down the tips and tricks of the trade, hence the mandatory rides. It also entails safety inspections and how to do them properly and it's just a plain good time. In units where it's really supported it can be a really cool deal. I happen to be in a large unit comprised of both civilian and military riders and we have some impressive turnouts, even on the smaller rides. 50 bikes, of all shapes and sizes, is not uncommon, best part is we all get along, lol.

Old September 13th, 2011, 08:26 AM   #16
YORCHI
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarC View Post
It's a DoD directive to implement a comprehensive safety network in order to help with the military's problem of losing young soldiers to preventable accidents. In the Army we call it the motorcycle mentor program where the experienced riders are responsible for handing down the tips and tricks of the trade, hence the mandatory rides. It also entails safety inspections and how to do them properly and it's just a plain good time. In units where it's really supported it can be a really cool deal. I happen to be in a large unit comprised of both civilian and military riders and we have some impressive turnouts, even on the smaller rides. 50 bikes, of all shapes and sizes, is not uncommon, best part is we all get along, lol.
+1

For us we have to request permission to get a bike and it's aimed at making sure the command members are aware of who wants to get a bike. If a person who isn't mature enough to own one is requesting permission to get one then the command can step in and either deny them or talk to them and make sure they are in the right frame of mind. Some units also put in requirements like you have to wait 45 days after returning from a combat deployment before you buy one so you have time to think about it and the feeling of being a bad ass from combat has gone away so you don't do anything dumb.

It's just a way to make motorcycle riding safer amongst us because too many of us were getting hurt or killed from dumb accidents that could have been avoided. In the process of getting a bike you have to sign a few forms that state that you understand all the rules and policies and that you will ALWAYS wear all your gear and if caught riding without it you can get in serious trouble.

#KCCO

Old September 18th, 2011, 12:49 AM   #17
tanman2003
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 2007 Harley Davidson Nightster XL 1200N

like a sons of anarchy vest? those are like 300 bucks, but cycle gear has a similar one. about $100

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...MI_FIM635-SM_G

tanman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2011, 01:13 AM   #18
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...=PAR_2830-0090

Old September 19th, 2011, 09:46 PM   #19
Toper
ninjette.org member

Name: Toper

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

if you get them from cyclegear, they give a 10% discount to military with id as well (on non-sale items).
Toper is offline   Reply With Quote