ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old June 22nd, 2010, 05:25 PM   #1
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Earbuds... great... How about the MP3 player?

Thanks to kkim, there's a thread about wearing earplugs and a wealth of information on our opinions with wearing different types of earplugs and even earbuds with mp3 players but I'm interested in knowing what mp3 players you use if you use them and how do you manage to control it?

I've tried ER-20's (amazing btw, the fit is wierd but clarity is fantastic). When I'm not using earplugs, I've been using Etymotics ER-6's and they fit great for me but I just cant seem to find the best place or model of MP3 player for easy control. I've tried clipping my 2nd gen shuffle to my jacket pocket and jacket sleeve cuff but its just not that conveinent and the leather gloves dont make that any easier.

So what do you do?

I'd like to avoid all discussions about listening to music as a distraction while riding...

Btw, thought i'd start a formal list.

Earplugs:
  • Etymotic ER-20's ($12)
  • Hearos Earplugs

Earbuds:
  • Etymotic ER-6's (~$80)

MP3 Players with easy control:
  • 2nd Gen iPod Shuffle (~$50-100)
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2010, 06:03 PM   #2
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Earbuds:

Skullcandy TiTan ($40)

MP3 Player:

Motorola Droid

The earbuds have a volume adjustment slider on them that is easy to access while riding. I just put my Droid in my backpack MP3 pocket, or the chest pocket that is outside near the zipper. Using my Droid is also nice because I can use the Last.FM app and stream music that I've listened to on my computer.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2010, 06:06 PM   #3
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Earplugs: Whatever Wal Mart has

Earbuds: Too uncomfortable (I have around ten pair)

Helmet Speakers w/Mic: Cardio. Because making phone
calls on the road is priceless.

MP3: Garmin Zumo 550 for longer trips
My cheap one just died. Might try
a Zune or Ipod.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2010, 08:41 AM   #4
Scott1620
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r(sold), 2007 650R (sold), 2013 Ninja 300

Earbuds:
Klipsch Image s4 with Comply foam tips

MP3 Player:
30 gig ipod classic in a plastic case that is indented where the controls are, in my right front jacket pocket facing out i can feel where the controls are with my left hand when cruising or stopped...
Scott1620 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2010, 09:24 AM   #5
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Screw earbuds. A2DP stereo Bluetooth FTMFW!

I used Insignia MP3 players before Apple added A2DP in iPhone OS 3 and Music Controls allowed other music apps to work with my helmet kit (without MC I couldn't switch from the A2DP input because only iPod music would respond to the AVRCP Pause/Stop command). Yay. MC requires a jailbroken phone. Original iPhone users need to JB in order to get A2DP anyway (stupid Apple restriction).
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2010, 09:41 AM   #6
captlombardi
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): '09 EX250J, '01 CBR600F4i

hey alright! another etymotic user. i have the er6's as well, although after 3 years the left earbud has some static in it (just started doing it a few days ago as well). the er6i's are cheaper than the regular 6's now and are ~$80 on amazon.com.

i have used an ipod touch for the longest time, i just make a good playlist and keep it in my inside coat pocket.
captlombardi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #7
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

New Ipod touch w/ bluetooth + Chatterbox Xbi (bluetooth)
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #8
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

30GB Zune. Absolutely love it. Like Scott said, it's always in the left pocket with the buttons facing out. I can always pause or change tracks without taking it out. That's the one reason I didn't get the Zune HD. The touch interface is a bit cumbersome while riding. I like the tactile feel of the buttons.

Not to mention, I can load up any songs/albums I want with the Zune Pass. Makes getting music really easy.
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #9
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Earplugs = foam earplugs for free from work

Ear-buds = Phillips SHE9501 - low cost, great fit since they are the in-ear style and not the outer lobe type, great sound quality thanks in part to it's massive 6Hz-23.5KHz response range and 102dB sensitivity.

MP3 player = Sony Walkman NWZ-S738F 8gig - superb sound quality that the apples can't even touch, ease of use with drag and drop loading, no extra software to load to use on your computer (windows media player is the preferred software for cd-mp3 conversions), can basically play any format of music, has video capability (I never use it though), has noise cancellation built in if using the included ear-buds (lost them a while ago after braking them - oops).

That's what I use, but I don't use the ear-buds/mp3 player while on the bike. I only use the earplugs to save my hearing.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2010, 04:16 PM   #10
TrueFader
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

my psp has been my mp3 player since they came out. skull candy ear buds ftw, cheap and adjustable ear sizes. psp fits in my breast pocket of my riding jacket. just keep it on shuffle. psp also has a remote attached to the cord for controlling volume and playback (play pause stop fwd & back). and i like having motogp video game available when at stops considering my riding buddies smoke cigs and need breaks and i dont.
TrueFader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #11
Ramen
Frak It

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Helmet speakers: ChatterBox Music Only Stereo Headset

Audio cable: 3.5mm Stereo Plug/Plug M/M Cable - 6ft

Music Player: Work Blackberry with unlimited internet + Pandora

Never could be arsed to keep and maintain an MP3 collection, so Pandora it is. There's a grommeted hole in my Joe Rocket jacket made specifically for running an audio cable through from the inside waterproof pocket.

And I've started wearing my Surefire EP-3 earplugs. They muffle the wind noise, but will will still allow music to play through - though that is necessarily muffled a little bit as well. Never get on the bike without them now.
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2010, 12:40 PM   #12
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Just got back from a weeklong trip to Boston. Thanks everybody for the replies but still one question... a few of you talk about using mp3 players that are too big to "clip" outside the jacket... How do you manage to manipulate the buttons without taking the gloves off or feeling around and hitting other random things... I find the Shuffle's buttons hard to feel for with gloves on already... touch interface? blackberry buttons/trackball? You guys must be telekinetic to be able to access them while riding.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2010, 12:53 PM   #13
Ramen
Frak It

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

I thought about wearing something on my sleeve or elsewhere that's accessible, but it's not worth the trouble for me. With Pandora, 90% of the songs that come on are enjoyable anyway. I just deal with the rest.

I turn the music on before I get on the bike, of course.
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #14
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Earbuds:
Skullcandy Ink'd

MP3 player:
Zune 120

Bought the Zune because of the raised tactile controls, but discovered belatedly that if your gloves are too thick (especially winter or waterproofed), the pad won't respond. So I got a cabled remote for it that's been modified a little with raised controls so they're easy to find (I used some of those little felt 'feet' that are used to protect tabletops). Just clip the remote to my backpack strap, drop the zune in my waterproof pack pocket.

The Ink'd have worked well for me; good sound dampening of wind without killing the important ambient noise (horns, sirens, etc), solid sound quality for buds, comfortable enough to wear hours on end and fairly inexpensive. The dampening is good enough I can hear both music and the rest of the world just fine with my Zune on the lowest volume setting. The last part (inexpensive) is important as I'm rough on my hardware; on my 4th pair now. Worth noting the first two were killed by my cat.