Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 12th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #121
mike_sema
ninjette.org guru

Name: mike

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
Maine has no standards. We have people running straight pipes all the time, and there is no standard for enforcement. As a person in the position to legislate--and as a motorcyclist (which gives me credibility with other legislators), there will be a law in Maine which will address the noise issue. Bikers have been put on notice for quite some time and that was tacitly ignored. I, for one, am tired of the noise and will see to it that a strict law concerning how many decibels a motorcycle is allowed to put out is passed. There are freedoms and there is abuse. The bikers in Maine will either comply or pay heavy fines. Enough is enough. Alex, I am not out to marginalize the rights of motorcyclists. I am out to dispel the myth that a motorcycle has to be loud in order to perform properly. If that is indeed the case, maybe one should confine their activity to a track. Car owners are restricted to how much noise their vehicles put out. I see no reason that the same should not apply to motorcyclists. You can`t have it two ways. You can clean up your image (as per AMA) or be a bunch of obnoxious pariahs as the situation is today. Your choice. I will take every action necessary legislatively to turn this situation aroound---sorry about the aftertmarket guys--clean your act up.
this is to funny are you taller then a 5th grader obnoxious pariah

Old October 12th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #122
shadow
chicken strips

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): Black 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
Massachusetts is considering a law that will allow police to pull over any bike they think is too loud. If it has an aftermarket pipe you get a ticket, even if it's passed noise tests and has a valid inspection sticker. I doubt the proposed law will pass, but it shows how bad the problem is becoming.
Bein' down here too (work/school, I know the sig says "NH), no offense, but I only agree to half of that... MA seems to create new laws that are hardly enforced pretty much anytime that anybody anywhere complains about anything. Plus, this kind of restriction will most likely make the problem WORSE as much of the youth will ignore it, and if anything make LOUDER pipes just to rebel against the system...

Old October 15th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #123
Kawasabi
ninjette.org member

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): RED 250R

I support LOUD pipes. Don't care what anyone else thinks, thank you very much, and have a nice evening.
Kawasabi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #124
kkim

I hate loud pipes.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #125
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

I wish there was an on/off switch...
Posted via Mobile Device
M-Oorb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #126
mike_sema
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawasabi View Post
I support LOUD pipes. Don't care what anyone else thinks, thank you very much, and have a nice evening.
so do I

Old October 15th, 2009, 05:20 PM   #127
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Loud pipes are fine but not in the middle of the night in a residential area. Loud pipes won't save your life if you happen to continuously piss off the wrong person, just saying.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2009, 07:57 PM   #128
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawasabi View Post
You might care if the local bylaws start coming down against your choice of wheels.

Remember, if you go through life saying "eff you" to the world, don't be surprised when the rest of the world eventually returns the favour.

Old October 15th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #129
mike_sema
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_bugaloo View Post
You might care if the local bylaws start coming down against your choice of wheels.

Remember, if you go through life saying "eff you" to the world, don't be surprised when the rest of the world eventually returns the favour.
Really! Really! Wow

Old October 15th, 2009, 10:33 PM   #130
Mista Bob
Über n00b

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Triumph TT600, Honda NS50F, Kawasaki ZZR-250 (sold)

I was planning on switching out the muffler on my bike that was modified to be stupidly loud by the previous owner....

But this thread makes me want to keep it.
Mista Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2009, 12:11 AM   #131
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

It is now October. Here in Maine, the temperature is hovering in the upper 30s and most people are putting their motorcycles away for the winter. The tourists and outta-towners are going home. Alex (op), rest up. Come next year, there will be one more obnoxious "ricer" with a loud, unnecessary exhaust rolling through Belfast as often as possible.

Old October 16th, 2009, 03:50 AM   #132
Kawasabi
ninjette.org member

Cool, now we know who our friends are, high five to tapdiggy, mista bob, mike sema, and other supporters. FYI, Belfast will be on my must do list come next season, cheers! Ride safe!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old October 16th, 2009, 02:03 PM   #133
nate-bama
North Alabama Mtn. ryder

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2006

might not save lives, but it doesn't hurt to be heard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
We will be debating a noise ordinance in the next session of the city council. The ordinance will be enforced between 10 PM and 7 AM--decibel level to be determined after a study. Seems like a good compromise and people will be able to get some sleep in the summer months.
I'm just curious but what the population there in Belfast? I remeber my pal Sgt. York telling us stories about life in maine or the lack of it, can't quite remember cause it was ten years ago during a year long binge known as camp Stanley Korea.

Anyway he had a 5.7 88 iroc z and was super proud of it and would always talk of how few sports cars there were because the wheather and how bad the roads were. So tyhat makes me wonder how many people ride, and out of them how many have said annoying pipes.

Old October 18th, 2009, 05:42 AM   #134
Kawasabi
ninjette.org member

Probably less than 3, but apparently it's enough to tick the op to change the law, talk about short fuse.... on a ninja 250 that is. Hi alex, watcha doing?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old October 18th, 2009, 01:33 PM   #135
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Nate, I will respond to your question because it is an honest inquiry with the intent of sharing information not hurling insults. I am not the only person who brought up the noise issue. It has been at least a year in the making--It had to clear the legal aspect through the City Attorney, etc. Belfast is not a large city. It is a small coastal community with a nice working waterfront, a variety of restaurants, and a lot of retired people---lots of artists, etc. Unfortunately, Main Street is a good sized hill, so when bikes and cars and pickups go down the hill with their straight pipes, there is considerable noise. After they make the loop on the waterfront, they acellerate up the hill and make even more noise. This goes on all the time--worse in the summer months when you add motorcycles into the equation. There is nothing wrong with a "sporty" sounding exhaust, but when you are trying to enjoy a good meal on the deck of a restaurant, the last thing you need is a person roaring up the street creating a noise level that meets the painful threshhold.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #136
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_sema View Post
Really! Really! Wow
Yep, really.