ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old February 8th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #1
ninjaryda
ninjette.org member

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

Muzzy exhaust

I just purchased a used Muzzy exhaust (with full y-pipe) for my pregen. I installed it today and I got to say... it's loud. A little too loud. Now, I understand this muffler is basically a glass-pack. Is it possible a re-pack kit will help bring the loudness down? Also, what other options are there? Besides buying a new muffler.

It's a little deep, too. Any other suggestions for a decent loud exhaust - but one that isn't so deep? Or this just a characteristic of this engine with free flowing exhaust like this?

Edit: Guess I'll pop it open and do a standard repack. If that doesn't change anything, I'll try the 'quiet core' repack from muzzy.

Last futzed with by ninjaryda; February 9th, 2013 at 01:52 AM.
ninjaryda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2013, 01:24 PM   #2
iplante
I ride like a granny

Name: Isabelle

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250R - EX250F

I'll take it off your hands if you don't like it

Old February 9th, 2013, 01:38 PM   #3
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
The Muzzy is the quietest option that is currently for sale (Area P stopped making their pregen system). I've owned Two Brothers slip-on cans before my Muzzy. The Muzzy is much quieter.

The low rumbles are all at the low end. Once you get to the top end with the throttle all the way open, it screams.

The standard repack might help. I haven't done that yet, so idk.

Just curious. Are you looking for louder or quieter? Why do you like higher pitched vs low pitched? Do you like brappy or throaty? I think the Muzzy is the best option available that's still in production for the pregen.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #4
SMman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danger

Motorcycle(s): 15 CBR300R, 14 BWS50, 09 FZ1, 09 Ninja 250, 06 CRF450R Motard, 03 ZX-6R

Muzzy is loud indeed. I had a full system on my 2000 ZZR250 and now have one on my 2007 DR-Z400SM. I prefer the Akrapovic that's on my 636 but Muzzy was much less expensive. I would try a repack. I never kept the 2000 ZZR250 long enough to do one.

Old February 9th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #5
Sipper'
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 250 Ninja

If you re-pack, use SilentSport packing. It's the best!
Sipper' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #6
ninjaryda
ninjette.org member

I've been riding it around for the past couple of days, and I think I've gotten used to the loudness of the new exhaust. I do like the deep throaty sound when it idles and up to 3k.

I met up with two friends yesterday. One has an '04 R6 (with a gxsr short can) and the other 1000rr (not sure which year). Both have much shorter cans. And the 1000rr in particular, has that loud but sharp pitch to the rev. That's the sound that I was looking for. Will a shorter 'can produce this? I don't mind chopping the can, if this is the result.

Don't get me wrong, I like this muzzy exhaust over the stock setup. I won't go back to stock. And $220 out the door was a decent deal IMO for the can and y-pipe/header, even if it was used.

Old February 10th, 2013, 02:27 PM   #7
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yes, a shorter can will get a higher pitched sound. But it will be a bit louder because you're reducing the overall volume of packing material.
@Kevin2109 chopped the Yoshi can on his 636. I think he has some youtube clips of before and after that show the difference in sound pretty well.

OH! here's the comparison video I was thinking of. It's not a 250 obviously, but it shows what changes are made in sound from a shorter can:

Link to original page on YouTube.
After you hear the bike with the normal Yoshi, skip to 2:20 to hear the shortened can.

Old February 10th, 2013, 03:51 PM   #8
ninjaryda
ninjette.org member

@choneofakind: Cool. Thanks for the info. I'll try this out

Old February 11th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #9
GlassAnkles
ninjette.org member

Name: Mo

Motorcycle(s): 02 zx-12r, 13 zx-10r abs

i just ordered the aluminum round full system also and plan on opening the can adding an insert.

that quiet core insert for our system from muzzys is just a small tube and they charge you 40 for it
GlassAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #10
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yeah, I wouldn't even worry about the insert. It really isn't too loud when you have the airbox. The pods are louder than the exhaust.

Old February 11th, 2013, 06:02 PM   #11
ninjaryda
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
It really isn't too loud when you have the airbox. The pods are louder than the exhaust.
Pods as in pod filters???

I thought about doing pod filters, but I've read that some people have had problems when using them. Some people have reported dead spots on the rpm band. Either under no load (randomly; simple rev'ing) or even riding, at around 5k RPM. With no solution to the problem.

I had a quadra-junk carb do this to me once. I put on headers and a free flowing exhaust and it ended up dropping the manifold pressure, which in turn messed up the operation of the carb. I ended up buying an aftermarket carb, after rebuild/fiddling with the stock one for months.

Old February 11th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #12
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yes, pods as in a K&N R-0990 pod filter. It's loud as sin when you're on the gas. The Muzzy isn't that loud. It's definitely louder than stock, but it's quieter than most sport bikes with aftermarket mufflers. (still can't touch the quiet core from Area P, but that's a different story) It's definitely not as loud as straight-pipe. It's significantly quieter than the Two Brothers slip on's that I had.

The pod filter is very loud under load. If you're going to do intake changes but don't want noise, just open the intake lid. I had really good luck with an open airbox lid, a full Muzzy exhaust, 108 mains, 3 washers, and 2 5/8 turns out on the pilot screws. The bike really liked that setup, and it sounded fantastic, without being any louder than the stock intake. The sound coming out of that intake was fabulous when combined with good jetting and a full exhaust.

Cut the battery box off of the airbox as well. It makes jetting a lot easier. You'll thank me later.

Now I'm all EFI, so I don't run carbs any more. I'm still fighting with myself about re-installing the airbox, but that would make it more complicated to keep all my hoses/wires/hardware in order. I think I'll just stick with the pod filter and keep the airbox as a backup.

Old February 14th, 2013, 03:07 PM   #13
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply, I never get on here

I love the sound and look of my Yoshi after cutting it down 4". The sound now is intoxicating, and it hides the actual can much better. Obviously its going to be a different story, but I would imagine it look better but at the cost of sound. My can now is about 25% louder then non cut can, its pretty loud However, I would never go back, I love the sound of my bike so it being louder is a good thing to me. I did have the 12" Area P on the 250 and I can say hands down, that it is way to ****ing loud. It wasnt so much the decible level as just the tone it put out, it was just obnoxious, like a honda with a fart can on it, lots of noise, but isnt actually going anywhere. The 636 is every bit as loud as my 250 but I just over the tone she puts out, and has the performance to match.

Here are some Pics

Before:

After the 4" cut, and removing the "Tip"

And video (Sorry, I put music in almost all of my videos, so its not pure exhaust note, but you get the point)

Before:

After:

Old February 14th, 2013, 03:29 PM   #14
GlassAnkles
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't even worry about the insert. It really isn't too loud when you have the airbox. The pods are louder than the exhaust.
my muzzys exhaust arrived and the quality is much better than other brands ive used. no sharp edges, muffler is sealed up tight. im going to skip opening it up....its to pretty

thanks for the info

Old February 14th, 2013, 05:22 PM   #15
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassAnkles View Post
quality is much better than other brands ive used.
yeah I've been pretty impressed with mine so far.

I'm here for help if you need anything else.

Old February 17th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #16
ninjaryda
ninjette.org member

I cut the can today. It was originally 18 inches long and I cut 4.75 inches off. The style of the sound didn't really change under no-load throttle. Under riding, it lost of a little bit of the deepness, but not what I thought it was going to do. Though it did eliminate a certain tone around (iirc around 4-7k range) that was droning in my ears, inside the helmet. That alone was worth it.

Anyway, the sound is a little more brappy now. I don't think I'm gonna get the sound I wanted, probably because it's a two cylinder engine and the bikes with the mufflers I looked at were 4 cylinder.

Also, all the packings inside appeared to be new-ish. They're packed fully/tight and tape around the outside still.

Old February 19th, 2013, 08:07 AM   #17
GlassAnkles
ninjette.org member

i finally got all parts and the bike done.........holy crap this thing is loud sounds like a 4 wheeler with no muffler.

its coming apart this weekend, will weld in a smaller diameter, straight piece of pipe from the end of the can to about halfway down.

Old February 19th, 2013, 08:20 AM   #18
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Haha I don't think it's too loud, but that's because I came from Two Brothers cans, not the stock cans. By comparison, it's significantly quieter

This can has a 2" core I think. The Area P quiet core can uses 1.75" core. Just fyi.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Old February 19th, 2013, 02:06 PM   #19
ninjaryda
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassAnkles View Post
i finally got all parts and the bike done.........holy crap this thing is loud sounds like a 4 wheeler with no muffler.

its coming apart this weekend, will weld in a smaller diameter, straight piece of pipe from the end of the can to about halfway down.
Maybe give it a week or so. I originally thought mine was too loud, but everyone else that heard it said it was fine. After about a week I got used it.

I'm curious, what diameter pipe are you guys running on your exhausts? (From the Y to the muffler)

Old February 19th, 2013, 02:39 PM   #20
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaryda View Post
I'm curious, what diameter pipe are you guys running on your exhausts? (From the Y to the muffler)
I'm pretty sure the combined pipe is 2"

Old April 2nd, 2013, 10:05 AM   #21
ninjaryda
ninjette.org member

My pipe from the Y to the can is 1.75" OD. Maybe it's not a 'muzzy' exhaust, but something else paired with the muzzy can?

Also, a good place I can get a decent looking hanger for this can? I cut off the welded tab that was on there and have a temp hanger on there now.

Old April 4th, 2013, 07:24 PM   #22
alley
ninjette.org member

Name: david

Motorcycle(s): 1999 ex 250

muzzy pipe is 1.75 od. and they discontinued the pre gen kits.
alley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2013, 04:37 AM   #23
vanman69
ninjette.org member

Name: jet

Motorcycle(s): zzr250 gt650r zxr250 ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley View Post
muzzy pipe is 1.75 od. and they discontinued the pre gen kits.
when did they do that? i bought mine like last year
vanman69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2013, 04:47 AM   #24
alley
ninjette.org member

Name: david

Motorcycle(s): 1999 ex 250

Well I called and talked to a sales rep about getting a complete muffler to match my header, and was told they did not have any instock and it was discontinued. I'm sure the various vendors have some full kits on hand but no more production acordding to the sales rep I spoke with.
alley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2013, 06:19 AM   #25
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I just checked the Muzzy website. It's not up anymore. Go get one from the vendors on ebay. Those are still new.

Old April 5th, 2013, 10:39 AM   #26
vanman69
ninjette.org member

Name: jet

Motorcycle(s): zzr250 gt650r zxr250 ninja 300

wow. no more full exhuasts for the pre gen anymore, far out aye
vanman69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #27
ninjaryda
ninjette.org member

For people that have a 2" can and 2" pipe, what's the outside diameter of the y-pipes? I'm thinking that maybe the larger pipes are a little more free flowing..ness to them. I wouldn't mind trying my hand at welding up a DIY set.

Old April 5th, 2013, 11:14 AM   #28
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I'll have to actually go measure mine next time I'm home. I was guestimating on the 2". It very well might actually be 1.75" idk