ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old December 16th, 2013, 11:34 AM   #1
Jx3
ninjette.org member

Name: Jaria

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Unhappy Ran off the road by another driver :'(

So. I was taking my bike over to a friend's house to tighten the chain when I was ran off the road by a speeding car in a sharp corner :'(
It was either be creamed, or take the ditch. Truthfully, I'm not sure how I escaped the car in time. It was a sharp curve (I took at only around 40-45mph) and the car must have been doing much over that to fly out of its lane.
I hit grass, not pavement, which is a miracle in itsself.
No major damage to myself, thank goodness! Just a sore core and a little bruising on my knees (helmet, jacket, etc saved me)
The other vehicle did not stop.

My bike sustained what looked like minimal damage. My friend brought a trailer and took it back to his garage where we are working on it together. She started right up, but I felt it was just best to tow her back to a garage.
At first glance, I knew I needed new mirrors, turn signals, and windscreen. Nothing to sweat, right?
Well as we're preparing to put on the new windscreen, we realized under the instrument panel, a mount (or something) was bent/now uneven and causing the left side to sit higher than the right.

Steven(my friend) is a motocross rider so street bikes aren't exactly his area of expertise, and I'm just starting to get my feet wet so I need all the help I can get. I really hate to take the bike to a local shop because they are notoriously outrageous. Can someone please help or attempt to help me identify the problem and best way to solve it?

I appreciate it more than you'll ever know!

<3
Jaria
Jx3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2013, 11:48 AM   #2
Jx3
ninjette.org member

Crashed. Attempting to repair. HELP?! (thinking dash mount)

So. I was taking my bike over to a friend's house to tighten the chain when I was ran off the road by a speeding car in a sharp corner :'(
It was either be creamed, or take the ditch. Truthfully, I'm not sure how I escaped the car in time. It was a sharp curve (I took at only around 40-45mph) and the car must have been doing much over that to fly out of its lane.
I hit grass, not pavement, which is a miracle in itsself.
No major damage to myself, thank goodness! Just a sore core and a little bruising on my knees (helmet, jacket, etc saved me)
The other vehicle did not stop.

My bike sustained what looked like minimal damage. My friend brought a trailer and took it back to his garage where we are working on it together. She started right up, but I felt it was just best to tow her back to a garage.
At first glance, I knew I needed new mirrors, turn signals, and windscreen. Nothing to sweat, right?
Well as we're preparing to put on the new windscreen, we realized under the instrument panel, a mount (or something) was bent/now uneven and causing the left side to sit higher than the right. Do I need to search for a new dash mount?

Steven(my friend) is a motocross rider so street bikes aren't exactly his area of expertise, and I'm just starting to get my feet wet so I need all the help I can get. I really hate to take the bike to a local shop because they are notoriously outrageous. Can someone please help or attempt to help me identify the problem and best way to solve it?

I appreciate it more than you'll ever know!

<3
Jaria

Old December 16th, 2013, 11:55 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Glad you're OK!

/thread moved to crash forum
/merged dupe threads

relevant poll

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2013, 12:04 PM   #4
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Bad karma eventually comes to drivers that don't care enough to stop for accidents they cause. Hopefully someone spits on their cheeseburger today.

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2013, 12:05 PM   #5
kirk595x
ninjette.org guru

Name: Robbie

Motorcycle(s): 03' Ninja 250ex

Glad your okay!
It's most likely a bent upper fairing mount/stay. It holds the fairing, instument panel and headlight. You should be able to find a straight used one on E-Bay. Looks a good one goes from around $45- $80 used. Just make sure that it is straight and undamaged before buying.

Old December 16th, 2013, 12:14 PM   #6
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Pictures. LOTS of pictures. Strip it down and find the bent and broken parts and we can tell you where to go from there.

Sounds like one of the arms on your fairing stay might be bent. New ones are about $100. Check that your forks are straight and not twisted, handlebars are straight, etc.
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2013, 12:14 PM   #7
Jx3
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk595x View Post
Glad your okay!
It's most likely a bent upper fairing mount/stay. It holds the fairing, instument panel and headlight. You should be able to find a straight used one on E-Bay. Looks a good one goes from around $45- $80 used. Just make sure that it is straight and undamaged before buying.
Thank you so much! It was a little bit of a scare, but as my mom said "good. We got that out of our system early and now you should be good to go" haha!

And thanks so much for the repair advice! I appreciate it so much. Sounds right, but I'm far from an expert. Would you mind telling me the best way to check before buying the part that it is what I need?

Old December 16th, 2013, 12:15 PM   #8
Jx3
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk595x View Post
Glad your okay!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
Pictures. LOTS of pictures. Strip it down and find the bent and broken parts and we can tell you where to go from there.

Sounds like one of the arms on your fairing stay might be bent. New ones are about $100. Check that your forks are straight and not twisted, handlebars are straight, etc.
Thanks so much! I'll be going to see her soon and I'll strip her of the front fairings and take lots of pictures to upload. I appreciate your willingness to help so much

Old December 16th, 2013, 12:21 PM   #9
Jx3
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
Bad karma eventually comes to drivers that don't care enough to stop for accidents they cause. Hopefully someone spits on their cheeseburger today.
Hahahaha :') I'd like that very much. Terrible, because my friends/family have given me the "that's why you don't need a bike" speel and it's on the frustrating side.

Old December 16th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #10
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jx3 View Post
Hahahaha :') I'd like that very much. Terrible, because my friends/family have given me the "that's why you don't need a bike" speel and it's on the frustrating side.
Yeah, that's why when I crashed, I didn't tell anybody. No need to cause people to tell me things I didn't want to be told.

But, your crash sounds a bit worse and harder to hide. It's a great day to be alive

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2013, 08:12 AM   #11
miss_syn
my hair matches my bike

Name: Tiffany

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red 250r

Hey glad to hear you're okay. Unfortunately the car may not have been going that fast. I follow enough people going below the speed limit that can't stay in their lane for a turn.

Get those pictures up so the techy people can help you out.
miss_syn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #12
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Damn, hate to hear of crap like that. Glad you're ok!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #13
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
I fixed my upper fairing bracket with some JB Weld if i believe. Pretty cheap - but it broke after I crashed...

Old December 28th, 2013, 12:13 AM   #14
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

You might be able to bend your fairing stay back with some persuasion.

Old January 15th, 2014, 09:53 AM   #15
Jx3
ninjette.org member

Just wanted to stop by and give a big "THANK YOU" to everyone that suggested the problem might be my upper fairing stay! It was indeed. I have the new one in place and I'm back on the road as of yesterday.

Again, thanks so much to everyone, can't wait to talk with you all more!
XOXO*

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old January 15th, 2014, 11:25 AM   #16
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Whoo hoo, glad you got it all fixed up and you are back on the road!
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2014, 12:57 PM   #17
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
Yeah, that's why when I crashed, I didn't tell anybody. No need to cause people to tell me things I didn't want to be told.
I wanted to do that but my gf at the time was driving her car behind me and saw the whole thing (1st one, my lowside)

no one would have noticed since the fairings were already scratched up from the previous owner.

on topic, congratulations on getting it back on the road
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2014, 11:23 PM   #18
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Sorrry about your crash but I'm glad you weren't badly hurt and that you are making headway on getting your moto fixed.

Old January 30th, 2014, 11:17 AM   #19
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

I know this is a little late (date on post) but I almost always ride with my GOPRO camera on now just because of people like the car driver noted above. I hope to get a video of their plate and them "over the line" to show police/insurance if they cause the crash. Plus they did not stop so there is an additional charge. When enough people get charged for leaving a downed biker they caused maybe some people will think twice before leaving! I have my camera mounted to the side of my Helmet so if I see the front or rear of the car/truck the camera sees it in high def. I have had a few really close calls just like you described and I only survived because my speed was low (not about OP) and there was more space at the edge of the road. I was going 25mph (on video) Jetta was doing around 65 or more (25 mph limit) he came around blind turn on my side and I had a tenth of a sec to swerve right to the edge!!!!! bearly missed me and he just kept going Be safe and sorry for your crash/glad you were not hurt!
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote