ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 2nd, 2009, 04:59 PM   #1
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

intimidated by bigger bikes today

i went riding today to do an errand. before heading home, i stopped by jamba juice. when i got into the parking lot, there was a bike club there. they were riding hayabusas, zx-14s, and r1's. it was cool to see their bikes, but also kind of intimidating. they didn't seem the friendly type and they were watching me as i pulled in on my 250 wearing my full gear. they were all in t-shirts and jeans... oh and their club vest. some had helmets and gloves. i almost made a u-turn out of there, but that would have been too obvious.

anyways, i was sitting outside and drinking my juice. as they were leaving, a few stopped in front of me, revved a few times while looking at me, and gunned it after they left the parking lot. not sure what they were trying to prove. yeah, i know your bike is faster than mine.

i hate this feeling. it is not that i can't afford to buy a bike like their's. it is just that i would probably kill myself trying to ride it.

not sure what my point is. i just feel cruddy and i wanted to vent. thanks.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2009, 05:25 PM   #2
BlueRaven
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

yeah just a bunch of show offs but you should feel good about yourself cause you were wearing the gear and they werent. even the most experienced riders can have an accident and then some of them wont be able to ride again well maybe a wheelchair. you'll be in one piece and be able to ride and they would be jealous then.
BlueRaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2009, 05:59 PM   #3
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Ah, the standard mine is bigger than yours machismo. Gary - your brain is bigger than theirs! Do I hate looking like a power ranger when I ride up somewhere in full gear on my baby ninja? Absolutely! But would I hate looking like Brittany Morrow - the girl who lost most of her skin when she fell off of the back of her boyfriend's bike? Unquestionably. To me, I'd rather look over-cautious temporarily than wear the scars for the rest of my life. I've chosen a bike that does what I need it to do, and at this point in my riding, more than I need it to do. I've chosen to purchase a bike that is fun to ride and that I can use to the upper limits of her abilities. And I do it all safely.

So fine, if they want to play mine is bigger than yours, just remember, it's how you use it that counts And our brains are much bigger than theirs
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2009, 06:05 PM   #4
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Funny but they were actually intimidated by you and all your gear. They really want to be able to wear protection but then they would look weak(or smart) in front of their buddies. If you would have pulled in and just waved and said hi they all would have felt that you were just another rider.

People always try to think what others are thinking. Most of the time they are wrong.

Just be friendly to everyone. Then if they blow you off it's on them and later they will think , that guy on the trick 250 was just trying to be nice, and their ole lady will kick their ass when they get home.

Old May 2nd, 2009, 06:22 PM   #5
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

I'd be willing to bet that the Ninja 250 rider that wears ATGATT will also wear pink to support breast cancer research, yellow for Lance and his fight for cancer, etc.

Stick to your guns - you are doing it the right way.

Old May 2nd, 2009, 06:39 PM   #6
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

All I think is... I love the skin I am in.

Of course I am around bigger bikes most of the time.

I guess the key is to be secure in yourself. Knowing your limits is part of that. You said yourself that you knew if you got one of the bigger bikes bad things would happen. That is knowing your limits.

I am proud of you for wearing your gear.

And so jealous... There aren't Jamba Jucies out here...

Old May 2nd, 2009, 06:51 PM   #7
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

They probably only ride in sunny weather and the weekends too, mostly a bunch of posers I bet.

Watch, when it rains you will only see maybe 1 or two riders around in my area including me. Bad weather really weeds out the true riders.

Don't get intimidated by other "bikers", I personally have had more fun on the 250 than I ever had on a bigger bike and thats all that matters.
Daeldren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2009, 07:04 PM   #8
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kurosaki 250, 09 Honda 600RawrRawr

Just keep doing what you do, mang. You don't wanna get caught up in the compensating big bike no gear croud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daeldren View Post
They probably only ride in sunny weather and the weekends too, mostly a bunch of posers I bet.

Watch, when it rains you will only see maybe 1 or two riders around in my area including me. Bad weather really weeds out the hardcore.

What's wrong with preferring weekend fair weather riding?
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2009, 07:09 PM   #9
Daeldren
two wheel addict

lol nothing wrong with it whatever you prefer. Im just generalizing that most of these guys with ZX14's and Busa's around here barely rack up any mileage on their bikes, they like to spend more time looking cool next to their bikes or showing off to underage girls by pulling wheelies.

Old May 2nd, 2009, 07:11 PM   #10
Daeldren
two wheel addict

And I do prefer good weather, but I used to ride just about everyday regardless of weather conditions (except in extreme cold)

Old May 2nd, 2009, 07:17 PM   #11
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Those are what I call EGO riders. Their ego is so big, they can't get a helmet on their head.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:11 PM   #12
Techno250
bikeless n00b

Name: Woody

Motorcycle(s): None yet. My dream machine is a BLUE 250R.

And apparently something else is very small, if the feel threatened enough that they need to rev up in front of you.
Techno250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:22 PM   #13
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Wave View Post
they didn't seem the friendly type and they were watching me as i pulled in on my 250 wearing my full gear. they were all in t-shirts and jeans...
You should have waved and said hi as you walked in. Maybe they looked at you funny as they were leaving because they thought you were unfriendly..?

I would have waved or nodded at them and said 'Hi'. If they give you a negative response it's their bad karma, not yours, to deal with. Life is too short to worry much about what others think of you.

Ride the bike you like.

The one big beef I have with motorcycling these days is that the manufacturers only market liter+ bikes; they act as if a 600cc is a beginner's bike, which is really shameful of them. I'd really like to see a lot more bikes in the 250 to 400cc range.

Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:24 PM   #14
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

thanks everyone!!! i feel better. i thought i might get flamed by some people. yeah, i guess i should have said hi, but they were a scary bunch. i will try that next time. they won't be able to see my fear behind my tinted visor.

Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:36 PM   #15
kazam58
Sarcasm: Yea that'll work

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

The only time I felt a little outdone was when I greeted a dude riding a Ducati 1098 the other day. He was in full gear and greeted me as well, though, which was nice.
And I have no idea what's so bad about gear. Yeah, it may be hot sometimes, but I honestly think some of us look a whole lot more badass in armored jackets, helmets and boots and what not. But maybe that's just my opinion.
But I really wouldn't worry about it if I were you. We have motorcycles in the first place, that's what counts. We're all having fun riding them and we're in one piece.
kazam58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:41 PM   #16
zartan

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

Soundwave it had nothing to do with your bike. There are a few men and some women who are lacking the humanity gene. People intimadate me all the time just because they are there.
I am really not fond of the general public.

It had nothing to do with you or what size bike you ride. They were just idiots, maybe they had pe.. i mean Ninjette envy. or seen to many Billy Jack movies.

One of my bad days was when I told my good friend I hated 99% of the population and he smiled and said wow that is like 7 million people you do like haha .. Rat bastard. That was years ago and I still raz him for that.

Quote:
Uh I ride in the sunny weather on weekends.
not a poser--- just warm and dry.

You don't have to be miserable or uncomfortable on the bike you ride or ride in elements you are not comfortable with to be a true rider.

Everone rides their own ride....

Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:10 PM   #17
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

That's messed up. I guess one of the good things about being in a place where you only have "good weather" for 5 months or so is that anyone and everyone riding a motorcycle is pretty friendly. We're all just happy to be out riding. I get all kinds of people waving and saying hi....honking to get my attention...everyone from harley riders to the people riding the big gun supersports.

Don't sweat the idiots....there's too many of them out there, and if you let them affect your actions you'll never have fun. Just keep on riding
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2009, 01:01 AM   #18
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

don't worry about it Gary, there are people like that all over, When I used to ride a bicycle a lot, I got that all the time. So just blow it off like everyone has suggested. The first time you and I rode, the road went down before we hit snake, 3 fast movers passed me like I was going the opposite way. I didn't even try to keep up.

nb

Old May 3rd, 2009, 01:16 AM   #19
Angel-be-Good
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '11 Street Triple R

Full gear is pretty in vogue 'round here, and no one seems to mind a 250. Hell, even 50cc scooters don't get hassled.

Old May 3rd, 2009, 02:28 AM   #20
dyeclan
Scooter Trash No0b

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): 08 EX250R 'Gears of War' Theme Bike, ZG DB screen, cowl, progrips.

You're worried about what a bunch of squids thinks? Dude, they ain't the brightest bulbs in the ballpark, they were probably wondering how that robot dude could take his head off and look like a human. Don't worry about them, besides, if you ever got those ding dongs in the twisties you'd own them; they are only good in straight lines.
dyeclan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2009, 03:07 AM   #21
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

thanks again all. i feel kind of silly now for posting this thread. i really appreciate the support.

usually that sort of stuff doesn't affect me as much, i just think to myself, "idiots" and go about my business. today (yesterday) for some reason it hit a nerve.

Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:41 AM   #22
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

Name: Jody

Motorcycle(s): EX250J9

What I get is big bikes wanting to race. I don't think your average biker has any idea that the newgen is a 250.

The other day I had a 1000cc+ cruiser jump on my tail and try to push me into opening it up. There were plenty of chances to pass (it was a straight road and lord knows cruisers love straight roads). I just laughed and held the throttle at 60. He probably had a bad experience on a curvy road with a sport bike somewhere, and wanted to exact revenge.
sm0kediver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2009, 06:14 AM   #23
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daeldren View Post
They probably only ride in sunny weather .
Hey, I only ride in sunny weather. Luckily it's sunny here everyday.

Old May 3rd, 2009, 06:17 AM   #24
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Wave View Post
thanks again all. i feel kind of silly now for posting this thread. i really appreciate the support.

usually that sort of stuff doesn't affect me as much, i just think to myself, "idiots" and go about my business. today (yesterday) for some reason it hit a nerve.
Just think Gary, I bunch of Harley riders would have never acted that way. Yesterday on my way home from a 5 hour ride a Harley guy pulled up behind me and we rode together for about 50 miles. I even let him lead the last 3 miles.

There are assholes in every walk of life, just don't be one of them.

Old May 3rd, 2009, 09:43 AM   #25
Buffalony

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazam58 View Post
The only time I felt a little outdone was when I greeted a dude riding a Ducati 1098 the other day. He was in full gear and greeted me as well, though, which was nice.
And I have no idea what's so bad about gear. Yeah, it may be hot sometimes, but I honestly think some of us look a whole lot more badass in armored jackets, helmets and boots and what not. But maybe that's just my opinion.
But I really wouldn't worry about it if I were you. We have motorcycles in the first place, that's what counts. We're all having fun riding them and we're in one piece.
You couldnt have said it better

BTW: The guy on the ducati. His other bike is a 2fiddy
IMO it seems you don't see to many idiots on ducatis or 2fiddys, especially 1098's!

Those guys were just organ doners, never mind them, they come and go quickly.

Gear IS cool and good looking. A geared rider appears intelligent, as they have taken the time to look forward and prepare themself for what ever may lie ahead.
People on bikes with out gear look STUPID. The bigger + louder the bike, the dumber they look. That Gary, was just a group of organ doning stupids with small pricks.

On the topic of bike sizes:
Heres a link to a good article about bike sizes past to present.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/good_first_motorcycles.htm

Here my favorite quote from that page. It kinda explains why I choose not to buy a sport demon.
"Recommending 600cc and larger bikes to beginners is like sending children out to play on the freeway, and the results are both predictable and (often) tragic"

Old May 3rd, 2009, 12:35 PM   #26
Techno250
bikeless n00b

Name: Woody

Motorcycle(s): None yet. My dream machine is a BLUE 250R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazam58 View Post
i honestly think some of us look a whole lot more badass in armored jackets, helmets and boots and what not.
qft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyeclan View Post
You're worried about what a bunch of squids thinks? Dude, they ain't the brightest bulbs in the ballpark, they were probably wondering how that robot dude could take his head off and look like a human.
Techno250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2009, 06:56 PM   #27
nmd003
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250R

hey i love my gear and my bike. i doubt a lot of bikers even know that the 1st gen is a 250. plus mine is plenty loud with the muzzy exhaust

I've only put about 250 miles or so on mine since i bought it, but i'm just all about having a good time cruisin'. i'm not quite sure why i need to be able to do 0-60 in 3.x seconds and have a top speed of 100bazillion mph. 0-60 in 5.x seconds is plenty for me
nmd003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2009, 08:06 PM   #28
SF-Dug
ninjette.org member

Name: Dug

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Sallee View Post
Full gear is pretty in vogue 'round here, and no one seems to mind a 250. Hell, even 50cc scooters don't get hassled.
+1
SF-Dug is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:40 PM   #29
Lurkable
250Arrrgh!

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R, 2001 996

This thread is comedy! Lots of good advice here.

Any time I realize someone is trying to make me feel uncomfortable on purpose, I can't help but laugh to myself. In the end Gary, it would seem that those guys you described were in fact intimidated more by you than the other way around.

When I see guys like that on their big bikes looking too cool for school, I have to wonder if they really know how to use that machine.
Lurkable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2009, 07:04 AM   #30
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

Never cared what other people are thinking when they are staring on or off the bike. For all you know soundwave they wanted you in their club :thumb:
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2009, 09:00 AM   #31
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

the first thing i look for with another rider is their gear. the type of bike they are on doesn't matter to me, but if they are responsible enough to gear up, then they get my respect
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2009, 09:02 AM   #32
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
That's messed up. I guess one of the good things about being in a place where you only have "good weather" for 5 months or so is that anyone and everyone riding a motorcycle is pretty friendly. We're all just happy to be out riding. I get all kinds of people waving and saying hi....honking to get my attention...everyone from harley riders to the people riding the big gun supersports.

Don't sweat the idiots....there's too many of them out there, and if you let them affect your actions you'll never have fun. Just keep on riding
Reminds me of my old Honda Civic I had. I got it for a fuel friendly commuter, and I decided I wanted to hear what the car is doing a bit more. So I went out of my way to get exhaust for it. One day I'm just minding my own business and this moron in a Camaro SS starts to rev at me. I just ignored him. Once the light turned green, he gunned it, leaving part of his tread on the pavement and taking off like a bullet. For some reason he had to justify his spending 40k for an anniversary Camaro by revving at me in my 17k Honda Civic. Whatever makes you feel better man!

There are tons of people like that out there. Just ride YOUR ride, that is all that matters.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2009, 09:38 AM   #33
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmd003 View Post
0-60 in 5.x seconds is plenty for me
And faster than almost every car on the road.

I've been riding street bikes since '92, and I've always preferred smaller, lighter bikes over heavier bikes. Ever drop a motorcycle in 8-inch deep mud? I have... and it's a lot easy to pick up a 400-lb motorcycle than a 600+ pound bike!

Old May 4th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #34
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

No one can intimidate you. You can only intimidate yourself.

Don't worry about anyone else, just enjoy the ride, bud.

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2009, 01:04 AM   #35
Beast
Pure Imagination

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 08' 250r, '07 Vespa LX150 (it counts right?)

Don't sweat it Gary These riders sound like they fall in the same category as these idiots:

I see them around town occasionally
http://www.myspace.com/xxxcockyridazxxx

Old May 5th, 2009, 01:32 AM   #36
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast View Post
Don't sweat it Gary These riders sound like they fall in the same category as these idiots:

I see them around town occasionally
http://www.myspace.com/xxxcockyridazxxx
yeah, that is basically what the guys i saw looked like. bunch of mostly black guys with jeans and t-shirts with a club vest. at least a couple of the hayabusas were custom painted.

Old May 5th, 2009, 02:06 AM   #37
Visus
ninjette.org member

Name: Todd

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Just a bunch o' punks.
Visus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2009, 10:25 AM   #38
gizmogamez
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_bugaloo View Post
I'd really like to see a lot more bikes in the 250 to 400cc range.

+1 I'd luv to see a nice 400cc bike here, something like the sexy VFR400's
gizmogamez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2009, 11:37 AM   #39
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Name: Katlyn

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2009 Kawi KLX140L Monster Energy / 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R (RIP 8.23.09)

All I have to say is that I agree with what everyone has said here. They are posers with small brains and small genitals. Think of them riding their 1 litre bikes with no gear as population control... cuz they won't last very long. Natural selection baby! Keep on rockin' that 250 and that gear cuz you're the one who's cool.

The day picked my baby up a big burly young black guy was buying a Busa and I just thought in my head "this guy will either die riding that thing or never ride it and just stand next to it trying to look cool".

Old May 6th, 2009, 01:04 PM   #40
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderGirl View Post
All I have to say is that I agree with what everyone has said here. They are posers with small brains and small genitals. Think of them riding their 1 litre bikes with no gear as population control... cuz they won't last very long. Natural selection baby! Keep on rockin' that 250 and that gear cuz you're the one who's cool.

The day picked my baby up a big burly young black guy was buying a Busa and I just thought in my head "this guy will either die riding that thing or never ride it and just stand next to it trying to look cool".
Did you ask him if he had small genitals?