ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old November 28th, 2011, 05:52 PM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Worthy Running Shoes

I have been searching for good running shoes and have been hard pressed to find them. I started out with Asics Gel Nimbus 10's. They were ok, but my heels were killing me at the end of a 2-mile run. I went to a store and they suggested I try Newton Sir Issac's. I purchased them and ran with them several times, my plantar and calves were killing me after each run. I figured I changed something up and the pain moved.

So I started researching. The more I read, the more it seemed to make sense. It seemed that my feet were just insanely weak. I ALWAYS wore shoes. I thought about when I was a kid. You almost had to pay me to wear shoes. I'd run everywhere barefoot. Since I had ZERO foot problems back then, I figured that would be a good place to start. So I started walking everywhere around the house, inside and out, barefoot. I noticed I was driving my heel into the ground a bit too much, so I focused on using either my forefoot or mid-foot. As I walked more and more, I noticed my heel hurting less and less.

I decided I needed shoes that replicated the barefoot feel. I purchased a set of Vibram Five Fingers. The shoes were excellent. I loved the feel they had and they gave excellent feedback. The drawback is they pull A LOT of attention from people, and they can smell too. I still have them and will continue to wear them.

Since I practically ripped my big toenail off about 2-weeks ago, I wanted to go running, but the VFF's were out of the question (bandage on toe). Went out again and found Merrell. I got a pair of Merrell Pathway Moc's to replace my deteriorating Asics Nimbus 11's. It is almost a minimalist shoe, but not quite. It is really comfortable and I love it. I also got a new running shoe, Merrell Sonic Glove. Even though there have been some mixed reviews on this shoe, with light socks, it is extremely comfortable. I ran the quickest 2-miles ever, no pain, only one stop for a sip of water, and just typical soreness the next day. I highly recommend trying them out.

As far as shoes go, what do you runners keep in your closet?

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2011, 06:38 PM   #2
kyrider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bobbert

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

I have quite the shoe collection from trainers to running shoes. I am not a distance runner but run sprints with a light walk/jog as warm up. Just got my first pair of Reebok Flex running shoes two weeks ago. They did need a lil breaking in period of a few days and a bit narrow. That said these feel much better and my knees are thanking me. They can get bits or gravel in the grooves but they have a cross country shoe that I hear fixes that. I have Nike Shox, Asics, Adidas, and New Balance and the Flex is as of now my favorite. I would change the shoe strings and go with a larger size as well.
kyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #3
burningscooter
clutch

Name: nameless

Motorcycle(s): L1 GSXR600

I just recently started running again after a 2 year hiatus. I had an old pair of Nike Frees in the closet however, dont really like the amount of impact/lack of absorption and stress on my right knee.

I recently purchased a pair of the new Nike LunarGlide 3. These are some of the most comfortable/light shoes I have ever worn as well as offers great support for running. Also, when I came home with these shoes, I learned about Nike+, which this shoe apparently comes with. Still not entirely sure what it is but it looks like it syncs with your iphone/ipod and tracks your distance/speed/etc. Overall, I was very satisfied with the purchase and have put about 32 miles on them since.

Worst shoe Ive ever run in = Nike SHOX, never again.
burningscooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2011, 07:23 PM   #4
kyrider

Name: Bobbert

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

I agree Nike Shox sux though they do look good.
kyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #5
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

It would be hard to tell you what kind of show is good. People run differently and that is why there are so many different running shoes. When I first started running I wore some Nike Zooms or something like that and they sucked. They didn't absorb impacts at all so I was always sore. I eventually got some nice Asics from http://www.fleetfeetsports.com/. I don't know if they have these stores where you live but they can watch you run and determine what kind of shoe you should be wearing to run in.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2011, 06:48 AM   #6
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

We have a Luke's Locker near by, that is where I normally go for shoes. However, I have found that their suggestions are nothing more than an opinion. What works for you may be different that what someone suggests. So I started doing my own research on the subject. I know I want a shoe that merely protects my feet, not cushions it. To me, the cushioning dulls the problems in a stride. I like instant feedback on what I am doing.

Since I have gone with "less supportive" shoes, I find my stride is MUCH shorter and more efficient. In the Asics, I was driving my heel in to the ground. I can't do that in the Merrell's. If I did, I wouldn't last a mile. I have learned how to run with a mid-foot attack once again. Yes I take shorter strides, but I also know everything has become much smoother. My knees don't ache anymore, my feet don't ache anymore either. My head doesn't bob up and down as much as well. Less up and down means less wasted energy. The up down motion takes energy away from your forward motion.

It is just nice to run with a smile again instead of dreading how I'll feel after the run. I've actually started looking forward to running. Haven't felt that way about it since I was a kid...

Old November 29th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #7
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

If I'm going to run more than a mile or two I wear my Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11. I bought those after getting my stride analyzed and the sales person recommended those to fit my style of walking/running and how far I ran. I then researched some barefoot shoes that weren't five fingers because I really don't like those at all and found shoes by Merrell. I bought a pair of Merrell True Gloves and got a really bad blister on my heels after my first day of wearing them and running in them. My ankles just weren't ready for a shoe with such a low heel cup and it took the skin right off. I had to tough it out for a few days and now that my skin has healed and the shoes are broken in they are super comfortable. So now I wear those for all the training I do that isn't specifically running a long distance. They're amazing for cross fit, weight lifting, circuit training, or doing short runs.

#KCCO
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2011, 10:29 AM   #8
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
I also love the barefoot feel, but didn't want to attract a crowd with the Vibram Five Fingers. So I went with the Merrill Trail Glove. It is barefoot style with a normal toebox. Fits like, well, a glove. :0 They've been fantastic. Look normal(ish), and are the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn. Available at REI.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #9
burningscooter
clutch

Name: nameless

Motorcycle(s): L1 GSXR600

I forgot to mention. you guys, wearing the five fingers. dicks, all of you. HAHA
burningscooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2011, 08:14 AM   #10
Jay72
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

I don't run, but I do work in a hospital and I am on the go all day, so I always get myself very good running shoes, this time around I bought the Nike Free Run +2, and they are just fantastic!
Jay72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2011, 02:28 PM   #11
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by burningscooter View Post
I forgot to mention. you guys, wearing the five fingers. dicks, all of you. HAHA
What's wrong with VFF's?