ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old November 28th, 2022, 11:54 AM   #81
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 SV650S 2005 EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Going to a larger piston will increase the force required at the lever. Are you saying you like it better, having to squeeze harder?
No. That is to say, it's not noticeably harder to squeeze.

Old December 26th, 2022, 07:47 PM   #82
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Winter riding in SoCal means water crossings, although they're shallow. Took awhile to warm up the tires today.
https://youtu.be/MXQTZCCoR68

Last futzed with by thedrewski86; December 27th, 2022 at 10:56 AM.
thedrewski86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2022, 06:58 AM   #83
MikeCL
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): ‘04 EX250

Looks like a nice ride! The water crossings are pretty cool
MikeCL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2022, 09:04 AM   #84
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCL View Post
Looks like a nice ride! The water crossings are pretty cool
Thanks! It was very green out, and great weather for December. I'll need to upload more footage from yesterday.

Old December 27th, 2022, 09:16 AM   #85
MikeCL
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrewski86 View Post
Thanks! It was very green out, and great weather for December. I'll need to upload more footage from yesterday.
Lol very jealous of the weather todays the second day it’s been above 10F

Old December 27th, 2022, 09:22 AM   #86
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Gosh I hear that. I did 17 years in Chicago before coming out here. I don't miss the cold.

Old December 28th, 2022, 09:20 PM   #87
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

One more!
https://youtu.be/Q3qKK-ypiQw

Old December 29th, 2022, 12:34 AM   #88
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Great Video Drew ! I asked on Youtube what bike was that on? if it's your 250 that is Impressive.... Mine has never run that good ! LOL
Bob......

Old December 29th, 2022, 07:16 AM   #89
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
Great Video Drew ! I asked on Youtube what bike was that on? if it's your 250 that is Impressive.... Mine has never run that good ! LOL
Bob......
Definitely the Ninjette! Thanks Bob

Old December 29th, 2022, 07:54 AM   #90
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Wow... thanks Drew ! your bike Revs faster pulls harder and is more responsive
in the corners than My bike is....
I am very sure the steep gearing has alot to do with that....on mine
yours just sounds smoother than mine....
or did anyway... don't know what it will be like now with the carbs fixed and valves set correctly ..... if My bike does half that I'll be happy ! HA !
Bob........

Old December 29th, 2022, 09:02 AM   #91
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Gearing probably has the most to do with it. The bike is not at all what I would call smooth anywhere below 8k rpm. There's just no power there. I try to keep it about 9 or 10k except for the tight stuff.

Old December 29th, 2022, 09:55 AM   #92
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Yah ! I've noticed that it really likes 9k RPM.... but most of the time I keep it a long way down from that.... it just makes me nervous to turn an engine that tight.... sure it can handle that all day but I'd be a nervous Wreck at the end of that ride.......HAHAHAH !
....I've often wondered if I could actually enjoy riding at those incredibly high RPMS of 20k..... that would be like riding a turbine to me ! I don't think so !
just as well go electric at that rate.... there is no piston feel at those speeds
just a constant even pull.....
I like that piston feel myself ....it's hard on your butt and hands though but
I like the feel when accelerating out of a turn at say 5,000 RPM and she squats and starts to feel her oats....
I remember shifting down coming into a sharp hairpin turn on stagecoach road
and got to the apex and saw a clear road and the RPM was near 8k
when I nailed it, it was accelerating to say the least, got it to 12k and shifted
and buddy that little bike hauled ! from that point on I had nothing but respect for that 250 as I had ridden 650cc bikes that could not hold a candle to that ! ....
I can't but wonder what that would be like if it only weighed 200lbs !
I wonder if I could actually hold on !?!?!?!
I just don't think you could remove that much weight and still have it function as it does.

LOL
.... fun stuff !
Bob......

Old December 29th, 2022, 10:10 AM   #93
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Going to a larger piston will increase the force required at the lever. Are you saying you like it better, having to squeeze harder?
Jim, I wanted to modify my previous account of that mc: you were right, it is harder to squeeze. Not hard, but not as light as the stock piece. Overall I think I'm going to stick with it as it seems to provide some more overall "bite" and power to the front brake, and I like the adjustable lever.

Your comment got me thinking about front brake feel though and how subjective that can be. Over on the SVRider forum, front mc upgrades are discussed an awful lot as the SV brakes leave a lot to be desired. The Ninjette is better from the factory in this department. After doing a bit of work to my SV, I'm okay with it but I would say this 250 has it beat.

Some of the track riders on the other forum vary quite a bit on what they say they like: light lever with a lot of progressive feel is what I have with my Brembo 16mm, all the way to those legitimately hard 19-20+mm Brembos and Accossatos on dedicated trackbikes. I watched an interview of a local racer here in SoCal named Josh Herrin who described his ideal brakefeel as "spongy" and soft/light. Most folks don't like spongy and brakes in the same sentence, but I feel what he's saying. My Brembo has a wonderful range of modulation between bite and lockup that could be described as spongy, sans the air in the lines

I'm getting used to this funky little Nissin 5/8 again. I used it for years on the SV and was accustomed to its wooden on/off characteristics which have not gone away It's much better on the 250 than it was on the 650, but I can see how my Brembo would be even better. I like having that extra bite over the stock piece, but this is not a complete upgrade - just a slightly better free part I had sitting in the garage.

Old December 29th, 2022, 10:20 AM   #94
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I can't but wonder what that would be like if it only weighed 200lbs !
I wonder if I could actually hold on !?!?!?!
I just don't think you could remove that much weight and still have it function as it does.

LOL
.... fun stuff !
Bob......
I'm with you there. Lighter is always better. I found the cheapest way to lighten the bike was to lighten me. I'm down about 30lbs from a few years ago and it helps these little bikes a lot.

All I can say about the rpms is that the 250 loves 'em! My bike is supremely unhappy lugging around and free once you wind it up. The oil stays clean so I just trust it. Valves are done, fuel is clean, carbs work. The rest is out of my hands, let er rip. Robert Pirsig described the old cb305 he rode in Zen as "packed" in the upper rpms, which sounded perfect to me. Much better than the "can full of pennies" that described its engine sound otherwise

Old December 29th, 2022, 04:37 PM   #95
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

LOL that is the truth there ! Lighten me would be a bigger change than anything on the bike I think..... but at max I could only loose about 10lbs
I'm 185lbs now and the lightest I've been sense 25 yrs old was 175lbs
and that was from very hard Hot work.... I think I sweated it off ! LOL.
....I wonder if I took off all the california Sh*t they have on it for emission control would that amount to much weight or not.... I kind'a doubt it as it's mostly empty cans and hoses..... maybe change all the hoses to something lighter.... because I bet there are 5 lbs of hoses on that thing ! and they are ALL High quality hoses.... putting thin vinyl hoses on the thing might change things by a pound or two.... I dunno... but I do know the vinyl hoses are no good when it comes to vacuum as they collaps .... so that's probably not a good idea.
there is a bunch of plastic on that bike too.... but plastic doesn't weigh that much... I bet I could put it all in a pile and it wouldn't even top 10 lbs including the full fairings ! yes the headlight support and fairing is quite heavy at least 20 lbs there.... but you need interments and lights ! so that's kind'a needed... it could be replaced though with much lighter and better things I think... like LED lights and a digital speedo and tach.their not too expensive and getting rid of the interment panel alone would be a big savings in weight....
... I remember seeing a guys Triumph all set up for flat track and he said the whole bike was less than 200lbs.... I don't know if I believe that as the triumph engine he had weighed 110lbs.. ! but he bought a super light frame and swing arm and replaced the forks with something else... he had Pirelli mt-53's on it front and rear .... that tells you how long ago this was !...
but 70hp on 200lbs would be a monster there is no doubt about that.
but unless you go to that kind of extent I don't think your going to lighten up the ninja all that much it's all of 350lbs and it's all in use if you re made the entire frame in aluminum you might gain a 100lbs but that is ambiguous as the frame you make is going to weigh alot too so i dunno !
about the only thing I can see that is easy is the stock muffler as it is a boat anchor .... any good flow through muffler is better than it is I think.
muffler, rear foot pegs.... take out the tools and that is about it ! I can't really see where you could gain that much on the Ninja 250
what do you think ? what have you done to lighten yours ?
Bob.......

Old December 29th, 2022, 05:47 PM   #96
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

That's funny Bob, I'm 175 now!
Lightening a bike is tricky, I've certainly never gotten serious about it but I respect those who do. I have a li-ion battery and it's pretty much weightless. I run a 120 rear tire which seems to help the rpms rise. It is a little lighter than the 130 I replaced. I'm a sucker for these heavy pipes though; I couldn't wait to off the loud slipons it had before. I'd like to shed that weight but keep the quiet. Also, you're right about that headlight. It's heavy.

Old December 29th, 2022, 05:49 PM   #97
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Also, the 520 chain feels overkill.

Old December 29th, 2022, 05:59 PM   #98
MikeCL
ninjette.org member

Wow we are about the same weight lol I’m 176 and 5’9”

Old December 29th, 2022, 06:02 PM   #99
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

That's crazy Mike, even more so because I'm 6'2" I look like a frog on these bikes.

Old December 29th, 2022, 06:57 PM   #100
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Nice video! Looks like you're quite a bit south of me here in Ventura. The terrain looks real similar to here.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2022, 07:37 PM   #101
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Thanks Kerry! Been a couple years since I've been up in Ventura county, there are definite similarities.

Old December 29th, 2022, 08:45 PM   #102
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

LOL 185lbs and 5' 9" thats WHY i lower all my bikes !
there are aluminum tempered sprockets you can get for front and rear that
are a few pounds lighter.... but they do ware out faster but that and the lighter chain may net you quite a bit in weight savings !
but My Gutt tells me Ride it like that and enjoy it while you can nothing lasts forever ! if it isn't fast enough the way it is...and it's working right, then get a bigger bike !
.....but my 250R is more than fast enough for this old man at 70 years old
I don't get much saddle time anymore..... i have to force myself to ride....
and I find that a sad state of affairs ! but it's the truth !
later all !
Bob......

Old December 30th, 2022, 02:41 PM   #103
MikeCL
ninjette.org member

Quote:
That's crazy Mike, even more so because I'm 6'2" I look like a frog on these bikes.
I still don’t regret the bike one bit all the way when I first wanted one back in 2000.

Old January 1st, 2023, 03:06 PM   #104
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

one thing is for sure...for me the 2012 Kawasaki 250R is the hardest bike to work on I have ever owned ! hands down ! .... the next I guess would be My New RX4 it's no walk in the park but a bunch better than the Ninja ! ... but at least it has adjustable valves and not shims ! those shims are a royal pain in the butt !
.... but it sure is a fun ride !
....I wanted a Ninja 250R sense they came out with that different rear fairing by the rear seat and I saw the small glove box under the rear seat...i thought that was so cool ! I put my tools in it so nothing else will fit but it is neat ! HAHAHAH!
once we sold the Ranch and I finally had some spending money I started looking on creg's list for a bike I was leaning toward a DR650 Suzuki but I could not find one.... and then this bike showed up the guy wanted a terrible price for it $4000.00 and I thought that was outrageous. but I wanted it as it was my favorite color too Kowie Green.... I called them and told them I had no truck
but he said he would deliver it for the $4000. so I said bring it .... it started so I bought it !
the next 3 weeks were cleaning the carbs so it would run right.... I finally got it running real good and took it out on some twisties
and I fell in love with it ...... but changes were definitely in order 9kRPM at 70mph wouldn't cut it... as that is my cruising speed
so a 16t front and 41 rear fixed that.... and that also cured the shifting 4 times before you got to 30 mph ! then I started looking into lowering it more... and I am real glad I did ...it's alot funer now for me ! being short suks ! especially sense everything is 32"~34" seat height now.... it didn't used to be that way !!!
but the bike has less than 5500 miles on it and is in pristine shape so I am happy ! but it's a bitch to work on ! LOL
I later bot a box of damaged fairings from the same people they had 2- 250's the other one was bright Red
so if I screw up and dump it I have extra plastic for it ! some pieces are chewed up and others perfect but for 100 bucks I could not pass it up !

Bob.......

Bob........

Old January 16th, 2023, 01:12 AM   #105
MikeCL
ninjette.org member

The one thing I’m not really liking so much is how soft the rear shock is I have a 16T front sprocket but I didn’t change the rear yet I wanted to get the other stuff done first.

The emission stuff on the new bikes is definitely going to add a different set of challenges.

Old January 16th, 2023, 06:54 AM   #106
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
You probably already know, but a rear shock off a newgen 250 will stiffen up the rear nicely. I got one cheap from eBay.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2023, 09:09 AM   #107
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Yah Mike I put a 16T on mine too and a 43T on the rear....so I can cruse all day at 70~80 mph no trouble. I don't think I'll be doing any wheelies with it though.... but it really changed the super low gearing on it I really disliked having to shift 3 times before I got up to 30mph ! that was just silly !
you can stiffen up the rear by adding some pre-load ya know....that will raise the seat but stiffen up the rear suspension a bit.... the spring is a progressive spring and the more it is compressed the stiffer it gets....and raising the rear
makes the bike really like corners....hehehehe
if seat height isn't an issue for you then add some pre-load to the rear shock and see if that helps...ya never know that may be all you need.
.....it's a thought anyway...
Bob........

Old January 16th, 2023, 10:28 AM   #108
MikeCL
ninjette.org member

Quote:
You probably already know, but a rear shock off a newgen 250 will stiffen up the rear nicely. I got one cheap from eBay.
Yeah I see this is the most option people pick

Quote:
Yah Mike I put a 16T on mine too and a 43T on the rear....so I can cruse all day at 70~80 mph no trouble. I don't think I'll be doing any wheelies with it though.... but it really changed the super low gearing on it I really disliked having to shift 3 times before I got up to 30mph ! that was just silly !
you can stiffen up the rear by adding some pre-load ya know....that will raise the seat but stiffen up the rear suspension a bit.... the spring is a progressive spring and the more it is compressed the stiffer it gets....and raising the rear
makes the bike really like corners....hehehehe
if seat height isn't an issue for you then add some pre-load to the rear shock and see if that helps...ya never know that may be all you need.
.....it's a thought anyway...
Bob........
I didn’t really look into the option of the preload on the rear shock When I get the tires and the rear sprocket then I will take the chain off and switch over.

Been looking at all the tire balancing stands and all

Old January 17th, 2023, 09:46 AM   #109
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
...and the 300. I'm currently running a rear shock off a 300 and it works okay. Not great though.

Old January 17th, 2023, 10:38 AM   #110
MikeCL
ninjette.org member

You guys use the tool the adjust the preload? I will probably get to it I’m focusing on the chain and tires next Thursday I’ll get to the carb sync.

Old January 17th, 2023, 11:40 AM   #111
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

The spanner tool that comes with the toolkit is cool if you have one. If you don't have that, like me, you can just pry that collar up or down to the nearest indent with a large screwdriver or prybar. It's not under a whole heckuva lot of pressure and it's pretty easy to move. Just be careful not to scar the crap out of it or it looks janky.

Old January 17th, 2023, 02:33 PM   #112
MikeCL
ninjette.org member

Quote:
The spanner tool that comes with the toolkit is cool if you have one. If you don't have that, like me, you can just pry that collar up or down to the nearest indent with a large screwdriver or prybar. It's not under a whole heckuva lot of pressure and it's pretty easy to move. Just be careful not to scar the crap out of it or it looks janky.
Not sure what spanner tool since the tool kit I got off ebay is missing at least the axle wrench. They must of took this bike on a muddy trail since it has so much mud around the rear I did see the rear shock the other day it looks like it hasn't been touched.