ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old December 11th, 2011, 03:42 AM   #1
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Red face Let me tell you about my friday night.

It all started with a corolla. Yes, a toyota corolla. It was my main transportation vehicle since monday, despite me riding my motorcycle only for 10 minute trips through out the other days of the week. So friday I had decided it was a motorcycle only day, and off I went to start my adventure into the unknown world we Floridians like to call, Orlando.

Mission #1: Find a new, dark smoked windscreen.

So off to the Kawasaki Dealership I went. It is only 5 minutes away from my house, so it wasn't that much of an entertaining ride until I was making a left turn into the place. I was behind a car full of people and they all kept looking back as we were waiting for clearance to turn into side street the dealership was on. I knew they were checking out the sexy beast. Oh, and they were probably looking at my bike too.

As I rolled on in they too turned into the dealership. Just after turning off my bike, they group of people that was in the car (5 people) all came up and started asking about my bike. For the first time ever, in three months of owning my bike, they asked me "Is that a 600?", needless to say I smiled a great smile because I've always wanted that question asked, and with pride, I said it's a 250. They all swore they thought it was a 600 and were talking about it in the car, and then they saw the back tire and completely believed me. (Perhaps they were looking at my bike earlier, more then I though. Lol.)

Any who, I finish up my business at the dealership and didn't buy a thing. Their windscreens didn't scream to me. I then ride over to cycle pro and pick me up a hotbodies windscreen, which was priced for $74, but they were selling it for only $39! I was so happy. I was even more happy when I found out the screen fit in my backpack. The guy at the counter who was ringing me up asked about my 250. He said his girlfriend wanted a bike, and he was thinking about it. He didnt really listen to me though since he was distracted with other things when I talked about the bike, but I hope I convinced him to get another rider on our side. Lol.

As I start up my bike and begin to back out, a sales person comes out and asks about my bike, so I shut it off and make small talk. As we talk, a huge cruiser pulls up right behind my bike (horizontally, not vertically like it should), and he starts making small talk with the sales person as I gear up and try to back my bike out. He then makes a joke saying he parked there on purpose to test me. But he asked about my bike too!

He asked what size, and I said a 250, but since my helmet was on and he seemed to be in denial, he said "What? A 650? Thats nice man!" then I said "No, 250" to which he said "750?" I got even louder when I corrected him, and then he finally caught on and looked at the rear tires that was my second ever "is that a 600" in one day! We got to talking about my bike and then I was off on my way.

So I rode around, installed my windscreen, then rode some more. It was a nice cool night, not too hot but not too too cold. I arrived at a fellow 250ers house to work on our bikes. 3 of us were there, all doing carb work. My bike got volunteered to be first. -_- Well, it was a mess. We started at 11:00pm, and I didnt leave until 6:00am, many stripped, and lost screws later. But, my needles were indeed shimmed and the bike does run smoother. Not sure about my power, but Im pretty sure it's the same.

This is where my story gets real interesting, and I want to emphasize this part for a lot of the n00bs, if you've read this far. Take the MSF, it helps greatly. I was on my way home, exhausted after being up since the morning before, and clearly not in my full aware state of mind. The first time it happened, the light turned red and I though I had enough time to brake. What I didnt realize was, I had enough time to brake, if I were in a car. I was going too fast and for the first time ever, my rear brakes locked up. I fishtailed and screeched my way to a halt. I surprisingly remained calm even though I was coming to a major intersection, and didn't release my foot off my brake, like taught in the MSF. I can now see why they say dont do that too, because you do fishtail and the rear tire will get out of alignment.

How do I know that you will fishtail every time? Well, just like my "is that a 600" first, twice in one day, so was the whole locking up my brakes. The second time it happened, I was at a stop light, then I sped off as soon as it turned green, and I forgot there was a stop light exactly after it. Not paying attention, I was going pretty fast, then I notice the light was red I slammed on my brakes, locked up the rear, and a fishtailin I went! The smell of burnt rubber filled the air. I was so completely embarrassed, and you could tell the cars next to me, and behind me let off and gave me room to zoom out away, perhaps thinking I was one of the sterotypical squids

So over all, I really did have a good day. A few new firsts, newly shimmed carbs, and a few new lessons learned.

Lessons:
1: Cruisers will test your maneuverability.
2: Never have your bike volunteered to go first, it's basically making your bike the ginny pig, and you'll be working on it for 7 hours.
3: The MSF really is great, with out it, I probably would had let up off the brakes and then back on, which after riding it out, I could see fully as to why that would have been a bad thing. So, if you havnt taken it yet, I would highly suggest so.

If you read this far, thanks for reading, hopefully it was rather as interesting as I think. lol
Mods: flushmount Led front binkers, diode mod, pazzo levers, clear tank pad, racing replica grips, bike monkeys integrated tal light, zx-2r vinyls, rearsets, red bar ends, and more red accented stuff.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2011, 05:54 AM   #2
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
You lemming lol. Great read though!

I think you must be some kind of breed of night-lemming... staying up until 6am to work on your bike! That's hardcore
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2011, 05:59 AM   #3
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

I'm stuck on duty until Tuesday, so I need stories like this Sounds like a good day /rickybobby.

When I came back from deployment, my new neighbors moved in who I didn't know yet. I was working on the bike when he stopped by and saw me. He asked, "Nice bike man, is that a 600?" I was like no it's a 250. He says, "really, what kind?". A Ninja 250 lol. "What year is it?" Uh, 2008. "Really? My wife has one of those"

Sure enough I go next store to his garage and there is a 2010 SE green one sitting in there lol. I was like how did you not know what my bike is, when your wife has the same model. Apparently a few cosmetic mods and some exhaust make a big diff lol.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2011, 06:00 AM   #4
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Also, when I did my carbs, they didn't seem as hard. But I was removing the stock airbox and didn't have to worry about putting it back in. I can only imagine the PITA it was if you had to reinstall that thing. I definately ripped it apart lol.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2011, 09:00 AM   #5
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Good story. Glad to hear the MSF helped you.

Did you already feel like you needed your needles shimmed or did you just decide to do it? I've read that some bikes don't need it and could see negative effects from it but almost everyone just cracks open the bike and does it.
Malicious Logic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2011, 10:01 AM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Sounds like fun.

(P.S. More front brake, less rear brake. )

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2011, 12:17 PM   #7
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Nice story! I enjoyed reading it!

Old December 11th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #8
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250F

Nice! Definitely an interesting read.
TBC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2011, 06:19 PM   #9
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

great read man!! When should I look at shimming the carbs?
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2011, 06:37 PM   #10
Gregg_VA
Lucid, yet unaware.

Name: Gregg

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Goldwing; 2009 KLR-650; 2011 Ninja 250; 2010 FJR-1300

Have you attended the MSF sportsbike course? They definitely encourage to use much more front brake and less rear brake. They talk about why and then have you put it into practice on the Tarmac. When I attended the course this summer, the instructors wanted you to use your front brake so that your front tire did a slight bunny hop at the end. One guy in the class did an endo (his first ever) and the instructor's comment was "congratulations, you got 100% out of your brakes". Scared the kid though....
IBA #485, Goldwing Darkside #646
http://va-ldrider.blogspot.com
Gregg_VA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #11
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Very glad to hear you learned from your experiences, even if it wasn't one-trial learning. Riding tired is DEFINTELY a different experience though and one I do not recommend.

One of the first times I locked up the rear, I was tired and having to ride home in the rain. I literally skidded through the intersection I was trying to stop for, still on the stock Dunlops. Thankfully there weren't any other vehicles, just the light cycling itself.