ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 14th, 2010, 08:58 AM   #1
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Transporting rearstand

So, I haven't attempted to see if it's possible, but has anyone transported their rearstand on their bike? Seems unlikely but figured I'd ask. I'm helping a friend work on their bike who doesn't have a rearstand. I just don't like driving anymore...

Also to satisfy my curiosity, whats the largest item you've carried on your bike? I went to comicon this past summer and got tons of swag. Downtown San Diego has free motorcycle parking and all car parking would be sold out because of event. In my backpack, I had tons of books/comics, a 18 in galactus "action figure," and tons of posters and poster tubes. Everything protrudes out of my backpack so I used my chain lock to secure it loosely to my backpack. The poster tubes stick out so I couldn't lean my neck back (helps force me to tuck!) and everything caused tons of drag on the freeway.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2010, 09:01 AM   #2
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
So, I haven't attempted to see if it's possible, but has anyone transported their rearstand on their bike? Seems unlikely but figured I'd ask. I'm helping a friend work on their bike who doesn't have a rearstand. I just don't like driving anymore...

Also to satisfy my curiosity, whats the largest item you've carried on your bike? I went to comicon this past summer and got tons of swag. Downtown San Diego has free motorcycle parking and all car parking would be sold out because of event. In my backpack, I had tons of books/comics, a 18 in galactus "action figure," and tons of posters and poster tubes. Everything protrudes out of my backpack so I used my chain lock to secure it loosely to my backpack. The poster tubes stick out so I couldn't lean my neck back (helps force me to tuck!) and everything caused tons of drag on the freeway.
You need a girlfriend. Then she can carry everything.

Old August 14th, 2010, 09:13 AM   #3
Cuongism

Haha, I got lucky and am with someone who enjoys my nerdiness. She's a girly girl though so she generally doesn't understand any of it and has no interest in it. She's also a hundred pounds so fairly weak (like a-gallon-of-milk-is-heavy weak).

Old August 14th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #4
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
I'm sure if you get creative enough, and have enough tie-downs you can carry some ridiculous things on your bike! I personally have carried a box on the passenger seat that measured 36" x 24" x 18", and a box on top of my tank bag that measured 23" x 18" x 20", at the same time. I couldn't see my instruments, or any of the switch gear. It wasn't very far though, only maybe 3 miles.... Unfortunately I don't have a pic of this, because it was a quick delivery to FedEx at work.... It's amazing what you can do with a bungy net....

Let's see, I've carried 2 pieces of angled steel, measuring 12' in length, tied to the passenger peg and the frame slider, 15 miles... It was like "moto jousting".

Let's see, when touring, I've had about 50lbs of stuff strapped to the bike...

This is what comes from not owning a car.... :P

so concerning the rear stand. I think I'd start with some padding, so it doesn't rub any paint off, and then put the handle facing toward the back of the bike, the support that hold the rear wheel facing down, strapped to the rear seat/ solo cowl. The passenger pegs make a nice anchor point, and I've wrapped tie-down underneath the fender as well, and use the fender eliminator and turn signals as anchor points as well....

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2010, 11:15 AM   #5
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Oh boy, moto jousting just watch that become a real sport
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2010, 12:39 PM   #6
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
Buy a Goldwing
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2010, 12:47 PM   #7
bob706

As far as transporting a rear stand:

Link to original page on YouTube.

I made my own out of some square tubing and a heavy duty hinge.

Old August 14th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #8
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob706 View Post
As far as transporting a rear stand - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wJvQ_Uipgw

Old August 14th, 2010, 06:05 PM   #9
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob706 View Post
As far as transporting a rear stand - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wJvQ_Uipgw

That's so frigin brilliant that it almost makes me feel like a complete idiot for not thinking of it on my own.

Anway...pics of yours?
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #10
Cuongism

Cool thingamajig. When I'm just doing my chain cleaning/lube, I will use my car jack vs rearstands.

Old August 14th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #11
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

That's pretty slick. I think I have a new project....
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #12
bob706

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
That's so frigin brilliant that it almost makes me feel like a complete idiot for not thinking of it on my own.

Anway...pics of yours?
3ft of square aluminum tube (shortest home depot had), heavy duty fence hinge (from walmart - best thing I could find), nuts & bolts. maybe $15 and a half hour of drilling and sawing. I tried to round out the end that goes to the bike so I could use the spool but it works better (for me) on the axl nut. The ones you can get online look alot better but cost way more.

It will fit in the "trunk" if I don't take some of the tools but fits nice in whatever luggage you have. I really used the heck out of it before I got a proper rear stand.

The pic with the bike on the "stand" kinda looks unbalanced. I adjusted my chain today and put the cotter pin on a different way than normal so it was hard to wedge the stand against the axl nut.

It's not perfect but it gets the job done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCI0016.JPG (183.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCI0017.JPG (182.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCI0018.JPG (190.9 KB, 6 views)

Old August 15th, 2010, 09:03 AM   #13
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I carried two different rear stands home from Harbor Freight. The low-profile one in a box requiring assumbly was strapped to my backpack in every way imaginable. The larger tubular one that comes fully assembled was left sticking out of my backpack with the lifter forks on either side of my helmet. I've also carried a Harbor Freight motorcycle tire bead breaker and a change of tires.

CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #14
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I've also carried a Harbor Freight motorcycle tire bead breaker and a change of tires.
wow that photo is amazing. i'm still giggling. talk about a spare tire! haha blame it on the morning bear-claw! haha i wonder how you would do if you went down in those... probably just keep on rolling! so priceless i love it.

edit: p.s. i wish i had thought of that when i was trying to transport my last set of tires... i wound up just driving the tires there then going back and driving the bike... what a waste! haha

Old August 15th, 2010, 02:07 PM   #15
Cuongism

That picture is simply amazing! I'll practice it around my neighborhood, but my rearstand is fairly wide. Now I know I can transport new tires as well. I'm hitting 7500 miles on the stock tires so I'm pretty much skidding to every stop =)

Old August 16th, 2010, 06:26 AM   #16
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

Just bring a passenger and have them carry it We've done 2 large pizzas.... a 24 of corona.... I've strapped my Milwaukee stereo to the back once too, clearly time for a bike with more storage, glad the kz1000 came with saddlebags
demp is offline   Reply With Quote