ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old January 22nd, 2024, 03:12 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[cycleworld.com] - Francesco Bagnaia Talks MotoGP 2024

We caught up with Francesco Bagnaia at Ducati’s team introduction to get his thoughts on the coming season, the competition, and Marc Márquez.

Click here to view on their site.

Francesco “Pecco” Bagnaia is ready to go for his third MotoGP championship. (Ducati/)January is a time of team launches, and Ducati did it with style on the mountains of Madonna di Campiglio in Italy. On the stage were six incredible bikes and a total of 17 world titles with the double MotoGP world champion Francesco “Pecco” Bagnaia and Enea Bastianini for the Lenovo MotoGP team. There was also Álvaro Bautista, a double SBK world champion (Aruba Ducati team), and Nicolò Bulega, world SSP champion. And a first for Ducati—the off-road team with nine-time world champion Tony Cairoli and Alessandro Lupino.

It’s a massive lineup that confirms Ducati’s high commitment to winning in motorsports. Under the spotlights was a new off-road program with the launch of the Desmo450 MX—and of course Pecco Bagnaia in MotoGP.

Ducati’s MotoGP and SBK teams. Left to right: Enea Bastianini, Francesco Bagnaia, Álvaro Bautista, and Nicolò Bulega. (Ducati/)With the arrival of Marc Márquez in the Gresini team, the cards could be reshuffled and the current top position of the factory Ducati team could be threatened. 2024 will be the year of truth, but Bagnaia is not worried.

At Madonna di Campiglio for the “Campioni in Pista” event we saw an accomplished two-time world champion: solid, aware, and determined. With his first MotoGP title in 2022, Bagnaia introduced a new age in Ducati Corse, but his second title in 2023 marks the racer’s maturity and the dominance of Ducati’s MotoGP race machines.

Pressed by media questions about Márquez’s threat, Bagnaia answered calmly, never mentioning the Spaniard. The psychological battle has already begun and Pecco has surely learned from one of the greatest of all time, Valentino Rossi. MotoGP 2024 will be exciting and full of drama and we already had a first taste.

Winning is hard, repeating even more. Imagine doing it for the third time. How do you feel?

“I’m very motivated. Every year we start from zero. Looking back, the 2023 season was not easy: I crashed seven times—five in the race. This is something we need to improve. The goal is to be more consistent.”

This year will also be the biggest test for you considering the arrival of Márquez on a Ducati bike. Is Marc your main rival?

“Every season is the year of truth. I know there is a lot of talk, but I live it as a normal season. I don’t see one rider in particular, all the Ducati riders will be competitive. We know what we have done, but I also expect a step forward from Yamaha, Aprilia, KTM, and Honda.”

How do you see Márquez?

“This year he will have the Ducati 2023—definitely a winning bike and more competitive than the one he rode before, so we will see. In my opinion the balance doesn’t change, I think he will be as fast as the rider who preceded him in that team.”

With eight Ducatis on track, the approach will be decisive.

“I am aware that if one works well, the result comes. This awareness gives me confidence. With 22 races and 22 sprints, preparation is also crucial. Last year I was very well prepared, plus we had several weeks off due to race cancellations which helped a lot. This year the calendar is much more compressed.”

What about Jorge Martín?

“We know that he is fast, but as I said I don’t focus only on one rider.”

As the reigning world champion, you will start as the favorite. What mistake could be made?

“Underestimating opponents and situations would be a mistake, but this is not my case. Dedication and ambition are the most powerful fuel.”

In Valencia you tested the 2024 bike and you smiled. How is the new bike?

“The 2023 bike was almost perfect, although there were areas to improve. In particular, we asked for more power. We tried the engine in Valencia, and I really liked it both in terms of top speed and power delivery. I could feel the difference, but the real test bench will be in Sepang for the next testing session.”

Gigi Dall’Igna said that in Sepang you will test a new fairing, which is visibly very different. What can you anticipate?

“Every year Gigi amazes us, we are curious as well, but for sure it will work well.”

What aero tricks does Gigi Dall’Igna have up his sleeve? (Ducati/)Riders always ask for more power. Last year at Mugello Circuit the top speed of 366 kph (227 mph) was achieved on the straight, and this year some work has been done to ensure maximum safety at the top speed points. Is there a limit on top speed?

“A lot is being done for safety and we are happy with the works made at Mugello at the end of the straight. As for power and top speed, as riders we don’t want to reduce it, on the contrary. Otherwise we would go further with the braking points.” (He smiles.)

Looking ahead. At the end of 2024 many contracts expire. You expressed the desire to continue. The announcement could arrive in Qatar, the first round?

“We are already talking. Of course the interest is from both sides.”

If you could give a title to the 2024 season, what would you call it?

“I like ‘the year of truth.’”

This is “the year of truth” for Pecco as he will be fighting against eight other Ducatis, not to mention the other manufacturers will have mode improvements for 2024. (Ducati/)Finally, what does it mean for you to be in Madonna di Campiglio for the team launch?

“When I was a kid, I always watched ‘Wroom.’ The event saw Ducati and Ferrari doing the team launch here in Campiglio. It’s a dream to be here and I want to thank Ducati and the team partners for doing this event. It’s also a moment where we have fun and enjoy ourselves. The first challenge starts on the snow tomorrow with the skiing competition…” (He smiles, again.)