ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 8th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #1
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZZR 250; 1996 Suzuki Katana GSXF 600; 80s Yamaha 650 Special; 70s Kawasaki 350 Triple

First-time-passenger comments

This is not me. I ride ATGATT (All-The-Gear_All-The-Time), and same for my passengers!

This last weekend I gave a ride to a lady-friend who doesn't ride, and has been on a bike as a passenger only once before, and that was a Honda Gold Wing complete with back-rest and arm-rests. The route I treated her to was the ultra-scenic UBC/Spanish-Banks twisties. Afterwards, I asked her how the two rides compared.

She said, "The touring bike felt like a truck compared to this one. This is seriously scary fun. When are you riding next?"

I'd like to hear other comments from other first time passengers, especially on a Ninjette.
Anthony_marr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #2
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZZR 250; 1996 Suzuki Katana GSXF 600; 80s Yamaha 650 Special; 70s Kawasaki 350 Triple

I guess one of the reasons is that we can lean a Ninjette much lower than a tourer, meaning that we can take a tight curve much faster without this happening:

Old September 8th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #3
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

Have you seen this guy ride?

I'd bet he could out ride all of us.

Link to original page on YouTube.

CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #4
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXTrek View Post
Have you seen this guy ride?

I'd bet he could out ride all of us.
That is seriously scary fun. He can out ride me, that's for damn sure, and on a tourer yet. My helmet off to him.

Old September 8th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #5
emt250
2 Wheel Newb

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

Yea that guy on the goldwing would smoke me. Pretty badly too.

Old September 8th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #6
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Wow!
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #7
zev42
ninjette.org member

Name: Michelle

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Pretty impressive. Watching that video made me a bit dizzy, lol
zev42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #8
tjkamper
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

My wife has ridden on a ton of bikes in her life. Her cousin is a mechanic in Venezuela and when he works on bikes for folks he tends to borrow them for a while (Main reason I never trust a mechanic). She really enjoys the sport bike feel when the passanger is higher than the driver. She likes the ninjette for that reason. She does wish it would go a little faster in a straight line, but all the complaints go away when we take turns.

She told me the most fun bike she was ever on was an R1. I told her that a liter bike is by no means in my future, unless it is a sport touring model. My current plan is to buy 600 cc bike in 2011 and hand the ninjette down to her. It all really depends on money.

I got the ninjette, because I missed riding a bike. I hadn't had a bike since I had been married and I decided it was time, but honestly did not have any extra money to spend. I made deal selling my TA and bought her a Jeep Liberty and got the ninjette for me.

I love the bike and I think I have had more fun with it than any other bike I have ever ridden. My wife loves it too. She told me that the ninjette is probably #2 in her list of fun bikes because I lean it over a lot more than her cousin ever leaned the R1.

Old September 8th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #9
ScorpionNinja
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Well, i rode for my FIRST ever 2UP ride back in like Aug.10th,2009!

my gf dawn has rode on the back of afew other ex bf's, former guy friends 6-20 years ago. So it was nice to know she has passanger exp, IMO i found helpful!

But... shes never ridden on a sportbike...lol

So we first started out riding 15-25mph around the subdivison. getting used to the 90 degree turns at 15-25mph. Did this for like 20 mins. Then i felt comfy enuff taking the 2 of us on the open city roads. We rode down a 35mph limit road, turning onto another road of the same 35mph speeds but with some Nice twisties that ive solo FLEW around before. Then we made our way onto a 50mph road. Just kept Nate nice and slow and easy for braking and accelarating from red lights.

So far heres my feedback from aug.10th,2009 till now... with about 7-8 2UP rides with my gf on back!

Preload rear shock was on #2 the first 3-4 times. pretty soft while turning,etc!

Preload on rear is now #4 and is Wayyy better overall. I leave it on #4 solo also.

I feel less tired with #4 setting.

Passengers DONT's on back of a 250R ,08-09!!!
If she needs to move around a bit to get comfy (numb butt starting)...
DONT put pressure on left or right pass-footpegs!!! Make sure she pushes with BOTH feet on both footpegs at same time, it keeps the 250R LOTS more stable during riding! Ive bitched at dawn for not listening to me about this, but i think shes finaly broke her habit of doing the 'one-foot scoot, then other foot scoot'.

Passenger DONT lean into you too much. doing so puts lots more pressure on your WRISTS and lower BACK. a 30min ride soon feels like its been 2 hrs!!!

Passenger DONT over lean with you into and through Curves..... Doing so will put the 250R outta your line of path in a SEC.

Passenger DONT ... while a sudden stop (controlled but sudden) for those Yellow Lights that you need to stop... turning red.... Try to use your legs/thighs to Squeeze your Rider to keep YOUR WEIGHT and momentum as low to center of gravity.. or else risk your helmet, whackin your BF in the back of his! (dawn used her arms to push on my BACK once last weekend during a stop like this. i had to stop hard, no time for "hold on") I wasnt happy and gave her an ear full. As shes supposed to be this "great exp'd passenger"

well thats all for now. i would love for honest feedback and TIPS above all, to making my 2UP rides safer,better,funner!

-thanks ttyl

dave
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #10
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpionNinja View Post
Passenger DONT over lean with you into and through Curves..... Doing so will put the 250R outta your line of path in a SEC.
I always tell my passenger to look over my left shoulder when we are turning left and look over my right shoulder when we are turning right. Seems to help with the alignment.

Quote:
Passenger DONT ... while a sudden stop (controlled but sudden) for those Yellow Lights that you need to stop... turning red.... Try to use your legs/thighs to Squeeze your Rider to keep YOUR WEIGHT and momentum as low to center of gravity.. or else risk your helmet, whackin your BF in the back of his! (dawn used her arms to push on my BACK once last weekend during a stop like this. i had to stop hard, no time for "hold on") I wasnt happy and gave her an ear full. As shes supposed to be this "great exp'd passenger"
Learned this on my first ride with my wife on the 250. She quickly realized that she would slide forward when we were coming to a stop. She learned to squeeze her legs to keep from sliding.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote