ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old January 9th, 2017, 06:58 PM   #1
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
Honda RS150R

The "Underbone" segment or widely known as "mopeds" or in Malaysia it is referred as "Kapchai" is a segment that has been established for quite a while especially in the Asian region. Countries such as Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, Myanmar and as such have great demands for this segment hence resulting the various models being manufactured by motorcycle companies worldwide.

Coherent to the launches of these models, racing segmentation of similar category; the Cub Prix has been introduced making the moped scene more merrier than ever. Every corner of the streets you may see these models being ridden by adolescents as it is more affordable than a quarter litre bike in such countries.

However, domination of certain motorcycle companies in this segment was inevitable as the success of these models were not just measured by the success in the Cub Prix, but it is also measured by the on-going demands of the users. Models such as Yamaha RX-Z, Yamaha Z125 or the 150cc Yamaha Y15ZR have been the key players in this segment for many years now.

But not until last year, the market for the Yamaha Y15ZR has been compromised by the launch of the Honda RS150R. The engine performance is way much better than the Yamaha Y15ZR; and this is definitely a blow to Yamaha especially when their models are being affected by a manufacturing design defect for the oil pump and clutch pressure plates (some cases have been reported for the Y15ZRs and most are found for R25s). This was probably the best move Honda has ever made to counter the domination of the Y15ZR for the 150cc segment. Anywhere you go to get this model, you would have to wait approximately around 7 to 14 days. Some acquaintances have informed me that they had to wait for 2 months!

The Yamaha Y15ZR definitely has won the design as it is more appealing than a normal-looking-boring-moped-like RS150R. The true potential of this model is definitely not portrayed by its looks, but instead, the reliability and engine performance which I could summarize personally : is the best moped engine around. You may read the specs comparison : http://paultan.org/2016/10/28/honda-...-yamaha-y15zr/

Will this bike enters the US market? Do you want one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rs150r malaysia.jpg (187.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg rs150r ph.jpg (109.7 KB, 1 views)

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old January 9th, 2017, 08:14 PM   #2
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

I would love one of those. I would also love an Aprilia SR50, derestricted of course. That's a bike we can get in the USA.

Old January 10th, 2017, 10:07 AM   #3
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

I'd love one of those to commute on if my commute weren't 45 miles of mostly highways.

Old January 10th, 2017, 10:24 AM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I'm satisfying my desire for a mini racer with my Yamaha DT100. It fit my budget better. Does the brake caliper look familiar?

Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 10th, 2017, 10:39 AM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I'm satisfying my desire for a mini racer with my Yamaha DT100. It fit my budget better. Does the brake caliper look familiar?

I hear those are hard to tame, and will spit you off given the slightest opportunity...
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2017, 10:41 AM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Ha, yes, that's the rumor. It's going to have a steering damper before I take it to the track again. It's generally very predictable, but a fairly big rear wheel slide did put it into a tank slapper that day.

Old January 10th, 2017, 06:07 PM   #7
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
DT100 is not for Malaysian's market. I guess just google-ing picture is satisfying enough...

Old January 10th, 2017, 06:08 PM   #8
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post

I thought it is a scrambler?

Old January 10th, 2017, 06:53 PM   #9
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

It was an enduro originally. I have made quite a few changes

What it looked like after I rebuilt the engine, but hadn't worked on much else yet:

Old January 10th, 2017, 10:02 PM   #10
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I'd like to see one

Old January 16th, 2017, 02:59 PM   #11
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

I had a dt100 in 1977. Beat it to death. Busted all the street stuff off it. Should have gotten a yz80 back then. Metal flake helmet, red toughskins, pony sneakers. so 1977. My wheelies haven't improved! Just saw a mint pre-monoshock DT400 at my dealer the other day. 5K miles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dt100.jpg (131.1 KB, 1 views)
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2017, 04:14 PM   #12
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Yes, the DT100 does wheelie pretty easily. A friend and I drag raced up the hill from the Deals Gap parking lot several times, him on his Kawasaki 90 and me on the DT100, both somewhat modified. It was pretty hilarious to watch. One time I revved a little too much at the starting line, and let out the clutch a little too fast, and it lurched for the sky. Luckily it's light enough that I just put my boots on the pavement, stood up, and eased the little bike back down while my friend raced toward the finish line at lightning speed. Well, snail speed anyway. I think on that uphill road we were getting pretty close to 40 mph at our improvised finish line.

Old February 22nd, 2017, 12:17 PM   #13
JustRidin
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6, 2015 KTM 250XC - Past: 2011 KTM 150XC, 2009 Ninja 250r, 2012 Ninja 650, 2007 CRF250R

Honestly I'd love a 150cc underbone bike to hit the USA. Would make a great bike for errands around town. Throw a rack of some sort on the back and good to go.

Old February 22nd, 2017, 08:57 PM   #14
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRidin View Post
Honestly I'd love a 150cc underbone bike to hit the USA. Would make a great bike for errands around town. Throw a rack of some sort on the back and good to go.
You do not have underbone segments in the United States?

Normally what do you ride to run errands?

Old February 22nd, 2017, 09:36 PM   #15
JustRidin
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6, 2015 KTM 250XC - Past: 2011 KTM 150XC, 2009 Ninja 250r, 2012 Ninja 650, 2007 CRF250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu_Mishary View Post
You do not have underbone segments in the United States?

Normally what do you ride to run errands?
A bicycle.....or my truck it seems.