ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 5th, 2018, 07:58 PM   #1
cabra
ninjette.org newbie

Name: cabra

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

Bike won't start - electrical mastermind needed

When I hit the ignition for my 2007 250 Ninja the bike doesn't start and I hear a continuous buzzing/clicking sound that is coming from the solenoid. To troubleshoot this I have:
* Replaced the solenoid
* Connected the battery directly to the starter- starter cranked which tells me the starter is fine
* Tested with a new battery and cleaned the battery leads

Some observations:
- When I try to bypass the solenoid by shorting the leads the neutral light turns off and there is no more solenoid clicking or starter cranking
- When the clutch is in and I try to start the bike, the solenoid clicks one time and the solenoid closes & stays closed, and then it clicks again & opens when I release the start button. The neutral light turns off while the start button is pressed.
- The yellow wire with the red stripe feeding into the solenoid (signal wire?) gets 3V when the starter button is pressed.
- The thicker, white wire feeding into the solenoid gets a constant 12V with or without the starter button.

What is wrong with my bike? Thanks for the help
cabra is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2018, 08:57 AM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabra View Post
When I hit the ignition for my 2007 250 Ninja the bike doesn't start and I hear a continuous buzzing/clicking sound that is coming from the solenoid.
- The yellow wire with the red stripe feeding into the solenoid (signal wire?) gets 3V when the starter button is pressed.
Dead battery. Should be +10v when cranking.

Try jump-starting from car-battery that can start car. Leave car engine off.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2018, 09:58 AM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
From what you described, the battery itself is not the problem. To verify this, put a voltmeter on the battery terminals (directly on the battery's terminals, not the connectors attached) while trying to start the engine and let us know what it reads.

From the wiring diagram, it looks like the yellow wire with the red stripe should have battery voltage on it when the start button is pressed. To get there, the 12v has to go through the ignition switch, the kill switch, the starter button, and the starter relay in the junction box. A dirty connection anywhere in that chain could be causing the problem, as could a bad ground connection.

I don't know what you mean by "When I try to bypass the solenoid by shorting the leads..." If you short the starter solenoid leads while pressing the start button, you're shorting 12v to ground.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2018, 10:56 AM   #4
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabra View Post
* Connected the battery directly to the starter- starter cranked which tells me the starter is fine
- When I try to bypass the solenoid by shorting the leads the neutral light turns off and there is no more solenoid clicking or starter cranking
Do you mean you connect two large lugs on starter-solenoid?

One side (input) goes directly to battery +terminal.
Other side (output) goes directly to starter +power terminal.

By doing this, you connect battery +terminal to starter's +power terminal and have bypassed engine start/stop switch, start-button, clutch-switch, neutral-switch, starter-relay, starter-solenoid thereby eliminating them as contributors to your problem. Starter not cranking when you've shorted these solenoid terminals means battery is dead, kaput or cables between battery & starter is bad.

To test battery cables and solenoid to starter cable, do these tests to verify:

1. test battery voltage - connect voltmeter directly to battery +/- terminals. What is voltage? What is voltage when you short solenoid terminals?

2. test battery ground-cable - connect voltmeter to battery +terminal and ground to chassis bolt. What is voltage? What is voltage when you short solenoid terminals?

3. test battery to solenoid and solenoid to starter cables - connect voltmeter directly to starter +power terminal (use bare starter mounting bolt for ground). What is voltage when you short solenoid terminals?

If voltage when shorting solenoid terminals in #1, #2 and #3 test is same ~3v, then we can conclude that battery cables and cable between solenoid and starter are good and that battery is bad.

If voltage when shorting solenoid terminals in #1, #2 and #3 test is different , then cables are bad. Measure +voltage at each junction when shorting solenoid terminals and note voltage. The bad cable is the one with good full battery +voltage on one end, and ~3v on the other

Your previous tests combined with these may indicate one of these is bad:

- cable between battery and solenoid is bad
- or cable between solenoid and starter.

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; June 6th, 2018 at 11:56 AM.

Old June 19th, 2018, 09:39 AM   #5
cabra
ninjette.org newbie

After reading through your replies and pulling out more hair, the culprit ended up being a bad ground. In hindsight the biggest clue to me should have been that the fact that the battery was fully charged but nothing happened when I connected the two solenoids leads together.

Thanks again for the help & I hope this thread can help others down the road.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old June 19th, 2018, 08:43 PM   #6
DannoXYZ

Awesome! Which ground/cable was it?

Old June 20th, 2018, 11:04 AM   #7
cabra
ninjette.org newbie

It was the battery's ground. I cleaned where it met the frame and tightened the bolt and voila!