ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old October 1st, 2011, 01:27 AM   #1
OGjackafidy
ninjette.org member

Name: Jack

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Ninja 250r

MSF

I'm not sure about your guys course but when I took mine it seemed like there really wasn't a whole lot of conversation about safety on the streets. Granted there were a few good points I learned but I really just felt like it was kind of about how to operate a motorcycles through slow turns and stuff like that. Don't get me wrong I'm glad I took it but sometimes I feel like its a little over hyped on this site. For people brand new to riding a two wheeled vehicle with an engine I think its great but I think that actual riding with traffic is where you really get the experience and instinct that's ultimately going to help you out. I'm not saying people shouldn't take it because I did learn some things I just don't think it should be hyped up as it is to the point of "once you take this you will know how to be safe on the road" I think its a great place to learn the dos and donts of operating a bike but the hype of it needs to be divorced from the fact that it will not teach you the instincts of how to read traffic and operate accordingly.

Old October 1st, 2011, 07:57 AM   #2
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGjackafidy View Post
I just don't think it should be hyped up as it is to the point of "once you take this you will know how to be safe on the road" I think its a great place to learn the dos and donts of operating a bike but the hype of it needs to be divorced from the fact that it will not teach you the instincts of how to read traffic and operate accordingly.
Jack, I really do not think that people here hype up the MSF as the end-all of basic training. It is exactly as you stated, "a great place to learn the dos and donts of operating a bike".

Folks here tout the course because it is precisely that good start that people need prior to venturing out on the streets. It teaches good basic bike control skills and habits. Riders that learn basic bike control from friends and relatives are more likely to crash than those who take the MSF class.

The MSF recognized that there needed to be a next step and this year is offering a Street Rider Course for those who have completed the basic class.

Here is the description (and link):

Quote:
For newly licensed riders. It is designed to be the first street riding experience under the supervision and guidance of a RiderCoach. SRC1 is a partial day program that includes classroom activities to improve perception, has practice time on basic riding skills, and includes several miles of actual street riding in a local area.
Ride safe.

Jeff

Old October 1st, 2011, 08:04 AM   #3
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Yeah I feel the same way about the class. I mean it was great because I had never ridden a motorcycle before but alot of those slow maneuvers we did are hardly used in my life. I would have liked the class if we actually went on city streets on the last day. Even if it was just for like 30 minutes. The road is a different beast than a parking lot is. Nobody with a brain dies in parking lots riding, right? I did learn important skills that did transfer to the street but they also focused on some exercise that I never use in the street. I would recommend it to people that have never ridden before though. And they talked more about street safety in the in-class part of the course. We watch some videos (which featured a ninjette) riding around. But that doesn't really help. I need real world experience to become a better/safer rider.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2011, 08:43 AM   #4
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Never used?

I use the u-turn skills a lot. Every time I miss a driveway, or make a wrong turn, I wait for a clear spot in traffic and whip it around. I've used the panic braking a few times in traffic when someone does something idiotic. The counter-steering is used EVERY time you ride, as is looking through turns, shifting the bike through the gears, and deciding where in the lane to be for the maximum viability at intersections.

I would say that all the skills learned in that class apply to every-day riding. My instructors also talked to us a lot about using those skills in traffic and what to expect out on the road.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2011, 08:58 AM   #5
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
I just don't think it should be hyped up as it is to the point of "once you take this you will know how to be safe on the road" I think its a great place to learn the dos and donts of operating a bike but the hype of it needs to be divorced from the fact that it will not teach you the instincts of how to read traffic and operate accordingly.
very true. However, if you didn't know how to maneuver the bike properly as a beginner, when you DO get into a situation where you need to react to traffic and can't do it without thinking, it will take you longer to do, and there's a much higher chance of getting hit.

It's just like drivers ed. Yes if you gave me a few lessons, and then let me go experience traffic on my own, I would be able to physically transport myself around in a car, but I would not be proficient in my ability to stop as fast as possible, or swerve, or combine swerving with braking.

That's the same philosophy as the MSF course. It lays the ground work so that you can learn how to read traffic. Traffic isn't going to be nice to you just because you're learning. It will be the same clueless, dumb, unpredictable drivers that it always is. You need to know how to react to traffic before you know how to read it, because you need to be able to react AS you learn to read.
Your reactions are what determine if you get hit by that idiot driver, or if you just sh!t your pants.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2011, 09:59 AM   #6
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

You'd be surprised how often I use slow maneuvers. In fact I wish I was better at them. Some parking lots can be a pain to maneuver if you arent comfortable with them. Also, some technical twisties where your max speed is under 25 make knowing how to do figure8's comfortably super super useful.

There is a lot to motorcycling. There is no class that can teach you everything but you got to start somewhere so no complaints here.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2011, 11:11 AM   #7
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

My friend who never rode a motorcylce took the course with me. I would let him ride my bike now. I wouldnt before. Im more comfortable on the street because of the class. And you cannot really go on the street the last day, as no everyone has there permit and such...

They did not and cannot do the job for me, but they can give me tools to do the job myself... thats how I looked at it.
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2011, 04:38 PM   #8
PHL
ninjette.org member

Name: Napoleon

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Yeah I feel the same way about the class. I mean it was great because I had never ridden a motorcycle before but alot of those slow maneuvers we did are hardly used in my life.
Total newb here, passed the course early this summer. First time on a motorcycle in my life. Every now and then, I practice the box/u-turn exercise and quick braking exercises. I think practicing the box really helps with clutch control. Even though I daily drive a standard, it still took some time for me to get a good feel for the clutch. I see people starting from a stop and they paddle away, practicing the box exercise could pay big dividends for them.

This summer, I taught my little girl to ride her bike. As I told her, it's a lot easier to go fast, then to go slow...
PHL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2011, 05:59 PM   #9
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL View Post

This summer, I taught my little girl to ride her bike. As I told her, it's a lot easier to go fast, then to go slow...
Not in the twisties! There is much more involved in fast speed turns compared to slow speed turning.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2011, 06:22 PM   #10
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

MSF BRC is just that, a basic riders course for new individuals. The skills and knowledge learned from that builds into other advanced courses.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2011, 07:58 PM   #11
RaZeDaHeLL
The Black Widow

Name: Eva

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:
I'm not sure about your guys course but when I took mine it seemed like there really wasn't a whole lot of conversation about safety on the streets. Granted there were a few good points I learned but I really just felt like it was kind of about how to operate a motorcycles through slow turns and stuff like that. Don't get me wrong I'm glad I took it but sometimes I feel like its a little over hyped on this site. For people brand new to riding a two wheeled vehicle with an engine I think its great but I think that actual riding with traffic is where you really get the experience and instinct that's ultimately going to help you out. I'm not saying people shouldn't take it because I did learn some things I just don't think it should be hyped up as it is to the point of "once you take this you will know how to be safe on the road" I think its a great place to learn the dos and donts of operating a bike but the hype of it needs to be divorced from the fact that it will not teach you the instincts of how to read traffic and operate accordingly.
They have an experienced rider course that takes you out into the streets on your own bike.

Old October 2nd, 2011, 08:00 PM   #12
RaZeDaHeLL
The Black Widow

Name: Eva

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
but alot of those slow maneuvers we did are hardly used in my life.
They might be hardly ever used but may also one day save your life.

Old October 5th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #13
Art Vandelay
ninjette.org member

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): '07

I noticed two glaring omissions from the MSF BRC I took a few weeks ago.
  1. Turning from a stop. Not knowing how to do this can get you killed. My friend and I who took the course at the same time have both struggled with this at first out in the real world.
  2. Not a single mention of how to properly adjust the mirrors. I still don't have mine right.

If those two things can be addressed, I think the BRC is a great way to get you ready for neighborhood streets.
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #14
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

they dont have mirrors on their bikes... lol
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #15
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

The MSF BRC course is just for beginners and where its required by law. It only hits on the basics of safe riding. Most of the safety information is in the riding handbook.

They have an experienced rider course available for people who already know how to ride, but just want to learn how to do it safer.

Old October 7th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #16
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
There is a course that is more street specific, the MSF Street Rider Course. Article attached which discusses it. Seems like a fantastic idea to me. Similar course being offered in Canada and the UK as well. MV Agusta F4RR pron an added bonus for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Off the Reservation.jpg (189.2 KB, 6 views)

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote