ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 6th, 2014, 10:42 AM   #1
ycharliesaystwee
ninjette.org newbie

Name: twee

Motorcycle(s): none yet

Engine turns over, no spark

Brace yourselves...

History
Bought the bike a few years ago, minor crash, was cheap, I wanted a 250.
Was told it was running before I got it.
I let it sit because no finances
Didn't run
Friend got it running because of something electrical
Let it sit some more because no money for trackdays
Ex bf got it running again, did some test runs around the block. Did fine
Took out to Thunderhill this past November
-second lap of the day, going into turn 3, it started to bog a little. I kicked it into 2nd it booted back up
-third lap, bogged coming into turn one, tried to downshift, bogging continued, tried to downshift again, no luck
-complete dead stop. Ending wouldn't even crank over. Nothing

There's a k&n filter on it
Jet kit
New wiring harness
New cdi
New spark plug wires
Put in a new ignition switch (we took it off because I wanted to make it a race bike)
New rearsets
Stock exhaust

Mainly my ex has been doing anything and everything. I'm currently unemployed and want to learn more about my bike and do this on my own.

So. Here's the issue it seems
Turn the key over, neutral light is on, kill switch is off, pushing starter button; engine turns over.
Spark plugs are fine but there is no signal getting to them to make them spark (from what my ex has told me)
Fuses are all good
Carb is all good

We are just stuck. The only theory we have right now is something with the crankshaft sensor?

So, where the hell is the crankshaft sensor? What is it made for? And how do I go about checking it?

I've tried to look on a couple other forums and google, got frustrated. DaBlue1 put out a lot of great info but I haven't seen anything I'm looking for exactly.

Any help, advice, theories would be very much appreciated. I really want to do another trackday and soon. And I am admitting I'm a girl and not so mechanically inclined but I am really trying so please be aware. Thanks if you read all of this hah

Last futzed with by ycharliesaystwee; May 6th, 2014 at 11:05 AM. Reason: I forgots
ycharliesaystwee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2014, 10:47 AM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
use multimeter and check 15v reading on the input to the coils with ignition on. they should be getting power. when you crank it you should see the power to them go away.

if they don't get power, maybe a wiring problem. if they get power but it doesn't spark it could be timing coil or cdi related. you can test the timing coil with an ohms meter. disconnect it and test it, should come out between 100-400-ohm. if its less than 50ohm or more than 1000ohm its probably bad.

Old May 6th, 2014, 11:05 AM   #3
ycharliesaystwee
ninjette.org newbie

I forgot to mention there's a new cdi in it too. But I'll get on the testing of the coils and report back

Old May 6th, 2014, 01:31 PM   #4
ycharliesaystwee
ninjette.org newbie

ok, I checked the coils. They are getting power with the ignition on and then going away as I start it but reading 12 instead of 15

anything else I can try?

Old May 6th, 2014, 02:45 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
check your engine ground wire. it's on the right side of the case toward the back. it runs from the case to the negative on the battery. it sounds like it is not connected.

Old May 6th, 2014, 07:03 PM   #6
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Somebody had a similar issue a while back. It ended up being a bad stator coil? The crankshaft sensor coil is located in the same place. The alternator.
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...ick#post830560
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2014, 08:20 AM   #7
ycharliesaystwee
ninjette.org newbie

Awesome! I started to digress off of that post and have 5 different tabs open on what other people had suggested as well. I'm making a list and will check it twice this afternoon. Will update! Thanks you guys!

Old May 7th, 2014, 08:28 AM   #8
Ninja Bob
Certified Slacker

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycharliesaystwee View Post
Awesome! I started to digress off of that post and have 5 different tabs open on what other people had suggested as well. I'm making a list and will check it twice this afternoon. Will update! Thanks you guys!
Best of luck. You should stick around if/when you get it running. (And make a intro thread.) =P