ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 10th, 2016, 12:26 PM   #1
keyword
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Higher RPMs after oil change w/ Valvoline 10w-40?

Hey everyone,

I just did an oil change on my 2012 Ninja 250 and my wife's 2014 Ninja 300. I used Valvoline 10w-40 4T and both our bikes are running about 500-1000RPMs higher in all gears, and it's especially noticeable in 6th gear on the highway.

While I know my speedo is a bit optimistic (usually reads 5-10% too higher), I was at >9000RPM going 70mph on the highway, when I'm usually at 8/8500. My wife said she went from being at in the 7k's to the 8k's.

I'm planning on getting different oil from the local shop (they use Bel-ray), but I wanted to know if anyone else has had issues with this Valvoline oil?

I've also considered Mobil1 (I use that for our cars), but it's twice the cost of Valvoline and Bel-ray!
keyword is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2016, 10:12 AM   #2
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Is the valvoline oil rated as "energy conserving"?
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 12th, 2016, 10:37 AM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I think you're saying that at a given speed, 60 mph for example, after the oil change the engine is running at a higher RPM in a particular gear than before the change.

The only way that could happen is if the clutch is slipping, and that just about never happens unless the throttle is wide open, and then only when something is wrong. Slippery oil not made for wet clutches *could* cause this, but it's pretty far fetched that it could happen at steady speeds in all gears.

You can check engine RPM vs. speed with the gearing commander site, if you go there and fill in all the blanks. You'll need the manual to put in the transmission ratios and primary gear tooth counts. Then it'll tell you engine RPM for any road speed, in any gear, but comparing to a possibly erroneous tachometer gets tricky.

A quick check for clutch slipping is to note the engine RPM at a steady speed, then open the throttle suddenly. If the RPM jumps up just as suddenly, it's slipping.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2016, 11:36 AM   #4
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I think you're saying that at a given speed, 60 mph for example, after the oil change the engine is running at a higher RPM in a particular gear than before the change.

The only way that could happen is if the clutch is slipping, and that just about never happens unless the throttle is wide open, and then only when something is wrong. Slippery oil not made for wet clutches *could* cause this, but it's pretty far fetched that it could happen at steady speeds in all gears.
I agree with Jim - oil alone isn't going to cause an increase in RPMs when cruising.

There's nothing wrong with Valvoline 4T oil - I wouldn't dump it. Any of those cycle-specific (4T) oils are fine for the Ninja, and none are more "slippery" than the other.

As Jim suggested - check a gearing/RPM calculator to confirm, but it would be very strange to get a RPM change without clutch slippage.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2016, 01:14 PM   #5
keyword
ninjette.org newbie

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for your comments. While I was waiting for my post to be approved by the admins, I went ahead and drained out the Valvoline oil in question on my bike and put in Mobil 1 Racing 4T, 10W-40, and the issue went away. The first thing I noticed was shifting from 1st to 2nd was back to being "crisp" and I noticed my RPMs dropped cruising at 70MPH, at all gears.

I repeated the process for my wife's 300 and she reported the same outcome.

I didn't check for the energy conserving EC rating on the Valvoline, but I might still have a bottle laying around. I'm going to look when I get home and report back what I found.

Old October 12th, 2016, 01:30 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyword View Post
.......I'm planning on getting different oil from the local shop (they use Bel-ray), but I wanted to know if anyone else has had issues with this Valvoline oil?
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Preferred_Brands
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2016, 02:43 PM   #7
verboten1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
It's Moto oil, it's fine. I run it in all of my bikes

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2016, 07:59 AM   #8
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyword View Post
Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for your comments. While I was waiting for my post to be approved by the admins, I went ahead and drained out the Valvoline oil in question on my bike and put in Mobil 1 Racing 4T, 10W-40, and the issue went away. The first thing I noticed was shifting from 1st to 2nd was back to being "crisp" and I noticed my RPMs dropped cruising at 70MPH, at all gears.

I repeated the process for my wife's 300 and she reported the same outcome.

I didn't check for the energy conserving EC rating on the Valvoline, but I might still have a bottle laying around. I'm going to look when I get home and report back what I found.
If it's "4T" it is a cycle-specific oil and is not "Energy Conserving" (containing Friction Modifiers).

No idea why you would experience what you did. Even a standard auto oil that is "Energy Conserving" shouldn't give you dramatic clutch slipping or any increase in RPMs.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2016, 08:15 AM   #9
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
It's not April 1st, but something's fishy.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2016, 09:37 AM   #10
keyword
ninjette.org newbie

I smell fishiness too, based on everyone's responses.

I'm not sure what happened, but changing the oil from the Valvoline to Mobil 1 stuff definitely produced a change in the engine RPMs at any given speed. I was worried that there may be an underlying issue that manifested with an oil change. This concern seemed possible for my old 250 (>19k miles), but didn't fit my wife's 300 (<6k miles). We bought both of our bikes used, I'm the third owner and my wife's the second owner.

I bought the Valvoline all at the same time off of a dusty shelf at Meijer (a midwest-based store chain, it's like Wal-Mart), so perhaps I had a "bad batch?"

Note#1: I'm not posting this story to get any "upvotes" as reddit trolls do. This came up as a genuine concern because my wife and I are new riders, so I really appreciate everyone who has taken the time to read my question and/or share their thoughts!

Note#2: I don't work for Mobil 1 or anything, so I hope I don't come across as a salesman!