ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 15th, 2010, 04:40 AM   #41
Bleak21
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninjette

The only issues I see are defining "precipitation" and quantifying the trip. Perhaps for quantifying the trip, we can photograph the place we start and the place we finish, then google map it for people to verify.

Then for precipitation, will this mean riding WHILE it is precipitating, immediately afterwards, or on a road with some remnants (slush) left?

I think I'll play but would make up for any precipitation with distance and temperature. No ninja 250 snow enduro-ing for me thx.
Bleak21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2010, 05:01 AM   #42
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleak21 View Post
The only issues I see are defining "precipitation" and quantifying the trip. Perhaps for quantifying the trip, we can photograph the place we start and the place we finish, then google map it for people to verify.

Then for precipitation, will this mean riding WHILE it is precipitating, immediately afterwards, or on a road with some remnants (slush) left?

I think I'll play but would make up for any precipitation with distance and temperature. No ninja 250 snow enduro-ing for me thx.
perhaps a photo with a km counter and a watch, at the start and beginning of the ride, so we can read the distance passed and get average speed.
About the percipitation, I think if the road is wet, it counts as yes. A few damp patches does not count.
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2010, 05:48 AM   #43
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Shall there be a start date, end date time frame? December through January type thing? Or just best score for a single ride?

Old October 15th, 2010, 06:40 AM   #44
spooph
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
ooooo, really good discussion. Domagoj, thanks for the calculator. Brilliant. I like it - very accurate. I'll be playing with it over the weekend and seeing what I'd like changed, if anything. Looks pretty solid right now.

Bleak, I agree, I think we should substantiate the precipitation thing, cause in my experience, I've found them getting slicker in this order: rain, sleet, snow, ice, slush. Maybe assign those factor multiples? Rain (1.5x) sleet (2.0x) snow (2.5x) ice (3x) slush (3.5x)?

Jeff, yes, I think we should put a time constraint on it. I personally like December 1st - February 28th. What's everybody think?

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2010, 09:12 AM   #45
onetruevibe
Love Rival

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooph View Post
. But anyhoos, concerning the "feel's like" thing Vibe:
I have found this so far:

Wind chill...right.

Thanks for posting the chart....spooph.

60mph at 35C = time to go shopping for better gear

Old October 15th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #46
spooph

MOTM - Oct '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetruevibe View Post
Wind chill...right.

Thanks for posting the chart....spooph.

60mph at 35C = time to go shopping for better gear
I think I'm misunderstanding you.... 60mph at 35 Celsius is a nice day, albeit maybe a bit warm, no?

Old October 15th, 2010, 01:00 PM   #47
JeffM
Mr. 988

Just bought a pair of Fieldsheer Eskimo gloves for $29.99 at CycleGear. Reduced from $100.00. These look alot like Spooph's TourMasters.

With rain liner out

Old October 15th, 2010, 02:15 PM   #48
spooph

MOTM - Oct '15
Let us know how they turn out, eh? I had the next step down from the gloves I have now, which I purchased for $50, and they were inadequate.... But since those listed for $100 originally, they should work as desired....

Old October 15th, 2010, 08:47 PM   #49
onetruevibe
Love Rival

Quote:
I think I'm misunderstanding you.... 60mph at 35 Celsius is a nice day, albeit maybe a bit warm, no?
Nutter...simply nutter I say.

Actually, I was out tonight at 42F and felt ok. I think I need to pick up the gloves your recommending, a leather jacket with a liner and I'll be polar bearing off into the sunset !

Old October 16th, 2010, 10:14 AM   #50
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetruevibe View Post
Nutter...simply nutter I say.

Actually, I was out tonight at 42F and felt ok. I think I need to pick up the gloves your recommending, a leather jacket with a liner and I'll be polar bearing off into the sunset !
You mixed up the temperature scale

You will be needing some pants too, and some boots, and well..
42 is nothing. Few degrees below freezing is when the cold kicks in seriously. Stay tucked in at all times is all i can say

Old October 16th, 2010, 12:54 PM   #51
onetruevibe
Love Rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domagoj View Post
You mixed up the temperature scale
lolz. My brains have apparently stopped working....I guess it's time to stop sniffing glue.

Old October 18th, 2010, 06:54 AM   #52
spooph

MOTM - Oct '15
Domagoj - so, you are genius, and I am not.

Could you please incorporate the the precipitation factors into the sheet, and give us 1 box that provides us with a final score, say rounded to the nearest tenth? As I understand it, V is the windchill factor, and T is temperature, and in your sheet, Twc is temperature with windchill figured (v) figured in, or do did I get that wrong?

Here are the precip factors: Rain (1.5x) sleet (2.0x) snow (2.5x) ice (3x) slush (3.5x), and maybe we should list them in the sheet, if you could?

Gokay, does that look like we have enough resources to be able to make this happen? We know how to document temp, mileage and riding conditions, we have a handy dandy xcell spreadsheet to calculate out scores... Seems like all we gotta do is wait for the cold to get here and play, no?

Edit, oh, I was thinking, there are so many "polar bear" things out there, usually dealing with swimming in very cold water, since Polar Bears do that.... But I was thinking, that's not entirely accurate when it comes to our challenge. So how about we re-name to Arctic Fox Challenge or something like that? And the stuffed animal the winner gets at the end of the time-frame will be an arctic fox?

Old October 19th, 2010, 11:00 PM   #53
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Domagoj - so, you are genius, and I am not.

Could you please incorporate the the precipitation factors into the sheet, and give us 1 box that provides us with a final score, say rounded to the nearest tenth? As I understand it, V is the windchill factor, and T is temperature, and in your sheet, Twc is temperature with windchill figured (v) figured in, or do did I get that wrong?

Here are the precip factors: Rain (1.5x) sleet (2.0x) snow (2.5x) ice (3x) slush (3.5x), and maybe we should list them in the sheet, if you could?

Gokay, does that look like we have enough resources to be able to make this happen? We know how to document temp, mileage and riding conditions, we have a handy dandy xcell spreadsheet to calculate out scores... Seems like all we gotta do is wait for the cold to get here and play, no?

Edit, oh, I was thinking, there are so many "polar bear" things out there, usually dealing with swimming in very cold water, since Polar Bears do that.... But I was thinking, that's not entirely accurate when it comes to our challenge. So how about we re-name to Arctic Fox Challenge or something like that? And the stuffed animal the winner gets at the end of the time-frame will be an arctic fox?
Ok, will do with the factors you named.
I will have a couple of busy days so will do it next week probably. If we start off on 1st of December thats plenty of time. I will also try to incorporate ride length factor to reward longer rides because at the moment that is a bit wrong in the calc. We can round down, sure. And i will try to write some sort of explanation for the sheet, i wanted to do that when i posted it but didnt in the end. Probably there is a way to make it simpler. Maybe the easiest thing to do would be to make 2 separate sheets, one for european and other for american units and loose all those logical functions.
And a minor thingy, I dont really know what slush is
Is that snow that is melting but mixed with water and dirt from the road?

To be honest, I kind of lost interest when I saw the pics from Jeff and you in that other thread haha. Last winter we had like 4-5 days of that stuff and the whole office was making a bet if i will come with my bike or no. Anyway, im like 300 meters from the sea so there is no way ill have a whole month of snow covered streets...

Ah, one more thought; should we put some bonus for side wind gusts? I think we should.

Old October 20th, 2010, 09:22 AM   #54
scotty

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

Well, I think I may be in for this crazy game! lol Coldest i've rode in was high 30's so far. Was'nt bad. I just wore my agv sport jacket with the warm liner thing in side of it. Only part of me that gets cold is my kneck and lower face from the wind entering from the bottom of my helmet. Any way to fix that?
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #55
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

i wore a scarf each day this week to keep the neck warmer. put it on after fastening helmet strap, and put ends of scarf in my jacket. have also used those ski neck things that just go around your neck, kind of like a turtleneck without the shirt.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2010, 10:37 AM   #56
manos33rd
ninjette.org member

Name: Manos

Motorcycle(s): '10 ninja 250R, '99 YZF R6

I ride all year as long as there's not snow or ice on the road. Regardless of temperature. My motorcycle is my only transportation. I assure you that I'm the only one on the road DAILY from november to february here. I don't care if it makes me a man or not, I love riding. It aint for the man points, its for the ride. I don't buy a bike to put it in a shed 6 months out of the year. Screw that. What's the point of having a bike if you're going to do it part time? I don't buy a big screen tv and only watch it three months out of the year, so why would I do that to a bike? lol. To each his own, but while most of you will be logging dust hours on your machines, I'll have put an additional 6,000-10,000 miles on mine. plus I LOVE riding in cold weather, even though I hate cold weather in any other circumstance. Something about that biting wind while on your machine makes it so much more intense.... Oh, and I have had to ride in snow and ice before, but I really do not recommend it, it is very dangerous, not only from a rider's point of view, but also there's a bunch of idiots in cars that are 2 seconds from being out of control surrounding you so its a very tricky situation... lol
manos33rd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2010, 11:22 AM   #57
JeffM
Mr. 988

Calculated my ride to work this morning. First is this mornings weather service Meso chart and then the scoring chart. Not official, no camera to record or anything. Just having a bit of fun with our new game. My score 1.544

Domagoj, nice work on the chart.

(I noticed that I input 42f for the temp when it was really 43)
Attached Images
File Type: gif Sandy Meso.gif (21.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg todays ride.jpg (19.2 KB, 3 views)

Old October 20th, 2010, 02:58 PM   #58
jfauerba
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): '09 Red Ninja 250r

My record so far is 16F which was last Feb. Hardest part is to get the bike going with the choke and keep it going until it warms up.
jfauerba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #59
hoodadooda
MotorbikeLuv

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold), 2006 Daytona 675 in Tornado Red (sold), 2007 Ninja 650

I'll just leave this here.

That was from last winter in VA. I rode her a whole three feet!
hoodadooda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #60
spooph

MOTM - Oct '15
Domagoj - thank you so much for handeling the sheet. The only problem I have with 2 sheets is then we have a metric and SAE winner... It would be nice to have everybody scored on either KM or MPH. Maybe just write the sheet for metric, and add a km to mph "converter" for those who can't multiply by 1.6...

You pegged slush, that's exactly what it is. The nastiest, slipperiest, most dangerous conditions I have ridden in yet.... why? Because it's unpredictable. When on ice, you know you have no grip, so you ride accordingly. When in slush, grip changes a lot, and where's a lot of it on the ground, you have even less grip than on ice..

I have no problem incorporating side wind gusts, but maybe that's too complicated? Maybe we just factor in wind, which can be easily incorporated in the documentation when a player takes a pic of the weather forecast from the computer screen. You could maybe factor winds in as we do road conditions. 0-10mph = x1 10-35mph= x 2 35-50mph= x3 50mph+ = x4, or something like that.

scotty - a scarf is about the only thing I've been able to find that works. Other than my home/custom made sweater with the uber-high collar.. That works REALLY well! Currently I'm using a silk Balaclava and turtle necks. The sweater only comes out below freezing... So maybe, next week. LOL

Manos - you got it all figured out dude! couldn't have phrazed it better myself. The title is just a joke.....

John - I usually let the little ninjette warm up completely before I take her out. nothing like dealing with a boggy/unpredictable throttle while dodging ice patches....

hoodadooda - awesome! Let's make that 3 miles this winter, eh? :P

Old October 20th, 2010, 11:29 PM   #61
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

I am sincerely looking forward to snow this year. The knobbys on my XT have been good enough in all the weather so far to trust them in literally all the weather. I better go look for a little thermometer

Old October 21st, 2010, 03:36 PM   #62
JeffM
Mr. 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by manos33rd View Post
I ride all year as long as there's not snow or ice on the road. Regardless of temperature.
Isn't Orange Park in Florida?

Old October 21st, 2010, 08:40 PM   #63
manos33rd
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
Isn't Orange Park in Florida?
Why yes it is! I love florida. Unfortunately, I've been in upstate south carolina for the last year or so, where the weather is not nearly as balmy.

Old October 21st, 2010, 08:52 PM   #64
manos33rd
ninjette.org member

Wink

lol and by the way, even when I AM residing in orange park, I make frequent commutes to south carolina year round, regardless of weather(except ice or heavy snow) and have even been caught in freezing rain and snow storms on the way up AND back down. Georgia weather is a BITCH lol and as long as the interstate is not freezing, I'm cranking it out on it, even in snow and freezing rain. My stops become MUCH more frequent though, (usually about every 25-35 mins) but I won't ride in ice or snow on regular roads cause of the black ice and car drivers.

Old October 21st, 2010, 09:24 PM   #65
JeffM
Mr. 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by manos33rd View Post
Why yes it is! I love florida. Unfortunately, I've been in upstate south carolina for the last year or so, where the weather is not nearly as balmy.
You know I'm just messing with you Went to the BMW driving school in S.C. Nice part of the country.

Old October 26th, 2010, 02:19 PM   #66
hoodadooda
MotorbikeLuv

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold), 2006 Daytona 675 in Tornado Red (sold), 2007 Ninja 650

I want to play this game, but we keep getting excellent weather so far in VA! This is so unfair
hoodadooda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #67
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I won't be a player, but I do ride in the winter. As long as the roads are clear--it's a go. I am not crazy about Ice etc. and leave the bike home on those days. We do have a lot of clear days on the coast with the temp in the teens. The clothing they make for motorcyclists these days is great. I remember in the sixties, when I commuted to college on my R-50 BMW with sidecar (put two cinder blocks in the sidecar) we did not have full face helmets or clothes like we have today. Insulated long johns under blue jeans with rain pants so you don't get soaked from the slush, etc. Scarves and ski gloves were the way to go. We did survive.

Old October 26th, 2010, 03:15 PM   #68
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

I have a snomobile face shield and full helmet. The snomo shields only fit a few moto helmets but...they seem never to fog because they're 2 separate layers. If you wear glasses as i do, they're great
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #69
JeffM
Mr. 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekay View Post
I have a snomobile face shield and full helmet. The snomo shields only fit a few moto helmets but...they seem never to fog because they're 2 separate layers. If you wear glasses as i do, they're great
Scorpion helmet perchance? I was looking snowmobile shields just the other day. Scorpion makes a heated version in addition to the double layer type.

Old October 26th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #70
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
Scorpion helmet perchance? I was looking snowmobile shields just the other day. Scorpion makes a heated version in addition to the double layer type.

I have a Scorpion EXO 400 that can be fitted with that visor. I would be sporting the "MJOLNIR Mk V" look in a hurry, but that helmet is my commuter and not worth the investment for 6 miles a day.

Old October 27th, 2010, 12:48 AM   #71
Goat
ninjette.org member

Name: Goat

Motorcycle(s): 95 Ninja EX250

I'm in! Does taking the kx500 for a run count?
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2010, 07:42 AM   #72
spooph

MOTM - Oct '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoNinja View Post
i must be spoiled living in socal but below 60 i wont ride, too cold.
Yes sir, you're pretty much a pansy...... </sarcasm>

Hmmm, I might just have to get myself a scorpion for this year....

Goat - I don't think we ever put in limitations to which bike can be used, and I'm certain we didn't say it has to be a 250, so go for it with that dirt bike! You'd have a lot more fun out there than we would with our smooth tires.... BUT, you must DRIFT every corner..... J/K, ride yo ride mang!

Old October 27th, 2010, 08:34 AM   #73
spooph

MOTM - Oct '15
Mmmkay folks, logistics....

The name: Polar Bear usually deals with swimming... Hopefully we won't be swimming. How 'bout the Arctic Fox run, Ididaride (Husky), Arctic Hare, BUT NO PENGUINS! :P

The prize: An embroidered T-shirt? hat? Some gluhwein?

I was looking around - Ninji the world traveler gave me this idea for the prize at the end of game:

http://www.giftshop1234.com/hansa-toys-arctic.html

But they are big and expensive. Shouldn't they be smaller so they could fit on the bike? I could stop by our local zoo and pick up something, or a local Kay-B-Toys. Or should it be something functional, like a thermometer down to -40F . What say ya'll?

Old October 27th, 2010, 08:57 AM   #74
Goat
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Yes sir, you're pretty much a pansy...... </sarcasm>

Hmmm, I might just have to get myself a scorpion for this year....

Goat - I don't think we ever put in limitations to which bike can be used, and I'm certain we didn't say it has to be a 250, so go for it with that dirt bike! You'd have a lot more fun out there than we would with our smooth tires.... BUT, you must DRIFT every corner..... J/K, ride yo ride mang!
Scorpion helmets are great. I bought the exo400. Fit's better than most. The thing I like is the vents don't whistle open or closed. Bought a gmax for a xtra and wore it once and all it did was whistle.

I'll still be taking the ninjette out when the roads are clear. It's much cheaper to freeze for a little while than drive my truck.

I'll be putting studs in my kx and taking it out on the bay to pester the ice fishermen.

Old October 27th, 2010, 01:02 PM   #75
spooph

MOTM - Oct '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat View Post

I'll be putting studs in my kx and taking it out on the bay to pester the ice fishermen.
I request a video...

Old October 27th, 2010, 03:29 PM   #76
Goat
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I request a video...
LOL I can arrange my friend to record me.

I do have some video of me and my friends on a motocross track and an open sandy area if anyone is interested in watching. My youtube name is InsaneGoat666 and my friends is TheBasicMan. Neither of us have been on a dirt bike in 10+ years and I managed to find 2 kx500's last winter for a good price. TheBasicMan has my crash video which everyone seems to enjoy. I did add to my concussion score with that crash. #8 lol Many years of racing various types from motocross, flat track(dirt), and ice.

Old October 28th, 2010, 07:04 AM   #77
spooph

MOTM - Oct '15
So I thought I was gonna loose a few fingers this morning.... Didn't check the forecast, just rushed outside to get to work at 6am... Yea, single digits. I think heated gloves are in order for this winter. My previous job started at 9am, not 6, and those 3 hours make a massive difference in temps.... This non-electric gear isn't gonna cut it anymore....

Old October 28th, 2010, 07:07 AM   #78
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Look in the gear forum. There should be some threads in their about heated gear.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2010, 08:40 AM   #79
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

75 degrees in RI today and I am NOT riding. Will ride tomorrow but it drops back down to 50's. Man, the days I need to take a car stink.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #80
spooph

MOTM - Oct '15
BackintheSaddleagain - lol

Snake - Currently saving for a Gebring vest and gloves, although I've been looking for a 3-finger heated glove. That would be awesome!