ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 21st, 2014, 09:01 AM   #5361
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMoney View Post

Oh and replaced a front brake pad...

hmm? What happened here?
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2014, 09:04 AM   #5362
DCMoney
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 1198s, Triumph D675, Suzuki SV1000s, `08 Ninja 250, `11 Ninja 250, Suzuki GS750

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgentz View Post
hmm? What happened here?
Brake pad failure?

Not sure, during the race I had very little braking power, put new pads on stopping ability was greatly approved.

Old April 21st, 2014, 09:05 AM   #5363
mgentz
Board Member

I figured it failed. Any known reason why? i.e. did you scuff the pad? drop the pad?

Old April 21st, 2014, 09:07 AM   #5364
DCMoney
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 1198s, Triumph D675, Suzuki SV1000s, `08 Ninja 250, `11 Ninja 250, Suzuki GS750

Quote:
I figured it failed. Any known reason why? i.e. did you scuff the pad? drop the pad?
No, never had them off stock pads as far as I know, 15k miles.

Old April 21st, 2014, 09:11 AM   #5365
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
What happened with your steering stem? I noticed on mine that the spanner nut loosens up over time. I know it shouldn't but mine did. Second time around I ended up replacing it with tapered bearings thinking it failed but it loosened up again.
not sure honestly, I rode the bike in to work in the morning and on the way home a few miles out under braking the bike tried to buck, squirm, and toss me. I pulled over and could feel a sick amount of steering slop in the stem and the steering stem bearing grease was all over the back of the front fender.

I got the bike home and put her on the stands and took the top triple off and pulled the cap and upper race and the upper balls look pretty good. I have to find a good way to support the bike so I can pull the lower out and look at it.

I did not have any real indication that it was about to do that and regularly check the pull the front brake and rock for clunk, pop, or slop in the stem.

sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2014, 10:15 AM   #5366
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Unload it from the trailer coming back from the track. Now onto fixing what is broken.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2014, 10:19 AM   #5367
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
Took her to work for the first time.

That was a bit of a cold ride in but worth it.

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2014, 10:44 AM   #5368
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Enjoyed the commute with the DRII's, bike feels like it basically falls over with minimal counter-steering inputs. I used to have to put in a lot more effort for the bike to lean, mostly due to the rear being squared off.

So far I'm satisfied with my choice of going from a 150 rear to a 140.

Does anyone know if you can fit the chain guard on? I've had mine off because I didn't want to cut mine to fit a 150 rear.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2014, 11:52 AM   #5369
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Took the Dremel to the shifter, the kickstand bracket, the peg, and the post wheree the spring connects to the kickstand all in hopes of smoothing out or rounding off the sharp edges created when my bike slid across the pavement.

Found it was the block of metal that the kickstand bolts to that had been slicing the leg of my overpants. Now its all smooth and rounded so hopefully that stops.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2014, 08:21 PM   #5370
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Tried to finish wrestling the tire onto the wheel this morning but gave up.Went back to the same person as yesterday for round 2 and finally got the front tire on for the 250. Took both me and the person changing my tire holding the tire in place on the machine to get it on. Little ****.

Now I just gotta clean the wheel and put both wheels back on the 250 and it'll be ready for CL
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2014, 08:25 PM   #5371
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Took the fairings off to check for damage and such, took a full inventory of damage. All of the damage is cosmetic as I thought, nothing needs to be replaced for the bike to run as it should. As for cosmetics I only need one fairing piece and to switch the exhaust (which I was planning to do down the line already)

Now I've just got to install them SS brake lines and wait for my new helmet to arrive
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2014, 09:07 PM   #5372
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Rode it to work!!!

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2014, 09:46 PM   #5373
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
not sure honestly, I rode the bike in to work in the morning and on the way home a few miles out under braking the bike tried to buck, squirm, and toss me. I pulled over and could feel a sick amount of steering slop in the stem and the steering stem bearing grease was all over the back of the front fender.

I got the bike home and put her on the stands and took the top triple off and pulled the cap and upper race and the upper balls look pretty good. I have to find a good way to support the bike so I can pull the lower out and look at it.

I did not have any real indication that it was about to do that and regularly check the pull the front brake and rock for clunk, pop, or slop in the stem.

Mine only clunked when it hit a bump. Bouncing on the front end doesn't provide a quick compression for it to clunk.

Changed the oil and took apart my exhaust. Fuel in oil is no bueno. Doesn't helped that I reused the oil filter since last oil change. using a K&N oil filter. Had to reuse my old o rings since the one that came with the filter were too thick/large. checked my plugs and air filter. May drop a jet size and see if my top speed increases. Flipped my air filter upside down.

Old April 21st, 2014, 10:00 PM   #5374
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Old April 22nd, 2014, 04:18 AM   #5375
mgentz
Board Member

Float needles?

Old April 22nd, 2014, 04:58 AM   #5376
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Yesterday as i got on rt1 i noticed the right mirror wobbling. Craned my neck to get a better look and the realized the bolts where coming loose!
Stopped for gas and hand tightened them as best i could for the rest of the ride home.
The guy that had her before me had put extension blocks on, work great BTW, but didn't use any loctite... Anyone know if the stock bolts have loctite from the factory?

Anyway now they do.

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old April 22nd, 2014, 05:56 AM   #5377
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
Float needles?
It could be. Debating if I should put an inline fuel filter when I do pull the carbs.
@LittleRedNinjette,
I don't they they do but then again I have a 250 and mine didn't :d

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 06:00 AM   #5378
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Mine only clunked when it hit a bump. Bouncing on the front end doesn't provide a quick compression for it to clunk.
Got the whole thing apart last night and as soon as I took the weight off the front triple stand the ball bearings came a plopping out. Cleaned and inspected everything and really could not find any significant damage.

There was a little bit of the tell tale surface marring on the races from about 10K worth of use but minor and not enough to make me take them out. I greased them up and reinstalled.

I can never seem to get the steering head bearings quite rite and most the time mine end up a bit to tight. There is a very slight bit of drag I can feel when moving the steering back and forth in the bearing assembly but no read slop or pop when moving the triples back and forth. I will probably end up changing the bearings out for the tapered units like I did on the race bike next major service or if I get the bike back on the road and really don't like what I feel.

I also put springs and changed the fork oil in the forks but ran out of garage time. I will take a stab at getting it all back together tonight and tomorrow night.

Old April 22nd, 2014, 06:19 AM   #5379
mgentz
Board Member

Quote:
Got the whole thing apart last night and as soon as I took the weight off the front triple stand the ball bearings came a plopping out. Cleaned and inspected everything and really could not find any significant damage.

There was a little bit of the tell tale surface marring on the races from about 10K worth of use but minor and not enough to make me take them out. I greased them up and reinstalled.

I can never seem to get the steering head bearings quite rite and most the time mine end up a bit to tight. There is a very slight bit of drag I can feel when moving the steering back and forth in the bearing assembly but no read slop or pop when moving the triples back and forth. I will probably end up changing the bearings out for the tapered units like I did on the race bike next major service or if I get the bike back on the road and really don't like what I feel.

I also put springs and changed the fork oil in the forks but ran out of garage time. I will take a stab at getting it all back together tonight and tomorrow night.
I torque mine per the manual and then use feel from there to get them how I like them. The poor man's steering damper is to run tight bearings.

Old April 22nd, 2014, 06:54 AM   #5380
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Quote:
I torque mine per the manual and then use feel from there to get them how I like them. The poor man's steering damper is to run tight bearings.
Yeah I either have to make a socket or something to torque them down if the future. I just use the preload spanner to tighten it down good to seat everything, then back it off and tighten it until I can move it by hand by pushing on the triple but tight enough that if doesn't flop back and forth on its own after pushing on the bars (requires input to continue to move)

like I said lol, mine end up being too tight most of the time.

Old April 22nd, 2014, 09:18 PM   #5381
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
changed the front brake pads.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2014, 04:53 AM   #5382
mgentz
Board Member

continued putting it back together...

Old April 23rd, 2014, 05:06 AM   #5383
DCMoney
ninjette.org guru

Learned this trick from an SV guy this past weekend, now just a small hole in the swingarm and plate for a ziptie and no more worrying about plates moving around while changing the rear wheel.

Old April 23rd, 2014, 05:31 AM   #5384
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
^ I like this idea

I inspected the valve clearances and found them still in spec, actually they haven't moved a single .001" since I adjusted them at 12k miles and I'm currently at 41k miles. I changed out my Iridium spark plugs after 29k for some new Iridium plugs(same). The arc had wore a crater in the tip making the gap .042" which is just out of the spec which Kawi calls for .030-.040". This would explain why my bike which has never needed to use the choke at first start up started acting a little cold blooded these last 6k miles. With the new plugs installed and carb sync recheck(also no adjustment needed) the bike fired right up this morning and I rolled out with no need to warm it up.

Mounted the Mtb to the back and rode it to work so I'm ready to go for tonight's Mtb races.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2014, 06:20 AM   #5385
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Quote:
Learned this trick from an SV guy this past weekend, now just a small hole in the swingarm and plate for a ziptie and no more worrying about plates moving around while changing the rear wheel.
hey that is pretty good, I am going to have to try that next time I have it off. Anyone else seem to always have the brake size adjuster cap at the end of the swingarm not under tension when tightening it due to the chain weight?

threads are equal and wheel is aligned but I almost always have to push on the wheel to keep tension on the brake side when tightening the axle down.

Old April 23rd, 2014, 06:30 AM   #5386
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
hey that is pretty good, I am going to have to try that next time I have it off. Anyone else seem to always have the brake size adjuster cap at the end of the swingarm not under tension when tightening it due to the chain weight?

threads are equal and wheel is aligned but I almost always have to push on the wheel to keep tension on the brake side when tightening the axle down.
Your supposed to use the 12mm combination wrench you just got done using on the adjustment nut and stick it into the chain and sprocket. You then rotate the wheel back so the 12mm wrench gets jammed into the sprocket and chain so the wheel won't turn. This causes the to pull forward as you try and rotate it back thus bottoming out all you adjustment blocks and axel. It the same deal as pushing the tire forward with your knee but this method is easier to do.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2014, 06:37 AM   #5387
DCMoney
ninjette.org guru

Quote:

You don't have to take the wheel off to do it. I have an extra set of adjusters and plates, was shown there for picture purposes.

Just take the nuts off remove plate, add spring and put back together. If your axle nut is tight you shouldn't have to readjust anything just set lock nut.

I saw another guy that replaced the stock ones with nylock nuts.

Old April 23rd, 2014, 06:50 AM   #5388
mgentz
Board Member

where did you get the springs? please know that non-machinists don't have these things lying around

Old April 23rd, 2014, 07:04 AM   #5389
DCMoney
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
where did you get the springs? please know that non-machinists don't have these things lying around
Found them in a box at work... Measurements tell me its basically this spring from mcmastercarr.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9657k429/=rntxbv

But I cut it down to about 2" to make it work and its under a lot of tension.

So something like this should work perfect.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9657k121/=rnty6o

Ill see at lunch if Lowes has anything that will work.

For the record, I'm not a machinist.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 06:37 PM   #5390
Kevin1956
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

I did something I should have done the very day I took the bike home. I went to a 15 tooth countershaft sprocket. The difference is more than what I thought it would be. My left foot's a lot less active in traffic, the bike less buzzy at highway speeds.
Kevin1956 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2014, 08:40 PM   #5391
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Cut off the toe peg feeler thingies because they were scraping at the track, causing me to run off...

Old April 23rd, 2014, 09:16 PM   #5392
mgentz
Board Member

Just unscrew them next time

Old April 24th, 2014, 05:35 AM   #5393
DCMoney
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Found them in a box at work... Measurements tell me its basically this spring from mcmastercarr.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9657k429/=rntxbv

But I cut it down to about 2" to make it work and its under a lot of tension.

So something like this should work perfect.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9657k121/=rnty6o

Ill see at lunch if Lowes has anything that will work.

For the record, I'm not a machinist.
Found this at Lowes, worked fine.

Old April 24th, 2014, 09:41 AM   #5394
mgentz
Board Member

awesome.

Thank you!

Old April 24th, 2014, 09:57 AM   #5395
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

rode her to work this morning after the maintenance this week *see post a few up*

I hate that anytime you change a bunch of stuff you have that "everything feels different so must be something wrong" or "I must have forgotten something" feeling lol

also commuting on the 6R for a week made me appreciate some things more on the ninjette and also makes me really dislike some of her short comings. recency effect you know

Old April 24th, 2014, 12:47 PM   #5396
Insane Pie
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250

Went to replace my clutch and brake levers with Chinese brand. The brake lever fit fine, but the bolt for the clutch lever wasn't fitting. I thought I just couldn't get the bolt screwed in correctly, but upon further inspection the hole for the bolt isn't large enough. Then I looked at the packaging and the customs slip says "Ninja 300". Ordered them a few weeks ago, hopefully I don't have to pay for new ones. :/ No biggie, but just pain in the ass

Good news, I was able to replace the foot brake.
Insane Pie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2014, 02:33 PM   #5397
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Pie View Post
Went to replace my clutch and brake levers with Chinese brand. The brake lever fit fine, but the bolt for the clutch lever wasn't fitting. I thought I just couldn't get the bolt screwed in correctly, but upon further inspection the hole for the bolt isn't large enough. Then I looked at the packaging and the customs slip says "Ninja 300". Ordered them a few weeks ago, hopefully I don't have to pay for new ones. :/ No biggie, but just pain in the ass

Good news, I was able to replace the foot brake.
They may have just screwed up the hole. The levers should be the same.

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old April 24th, 2014, 02:39 PM   #5398
Insane Pie
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedNinjette View Post
They may have just screwed up the hole. The levers should be the same.
That's what I thought at first. Hopefully I don't have to return both levers.
Insane Pie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2014, 05:24 PM   #5399
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Removing the carbs seemed more difficult this time around. Swapped back to stock 98 Jets from my DJ 98. Now I just got to find a stretch of road to do a top speed run.

Old April 24th, 2014, 06:50 PM   #5400
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

I has a 300 motor now