ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

View Poll Results: Pot luck options?
Big D brings everything and puts his meat in our moufs, we put money in his G-string 8 80.00%
everybody brings crap, Big D still puts meat in our moufs. 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 3rd, 2013, 08:29 AM   #361
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmented View Post
or just crash like me.

I learned you can't keep pushing the front and ignoring the warning signs on the last lap! :P
WERD.

You have to make adjustments and you sure as hell can't go in PINNED into a turn. I thought you guys would have learned this from Major Lazear, Shawn Pen, and Xtian (Indetrucks) riding the 250. LOL

Old April 3rd, 2013, 08:36 AM   #362
Dmented
CVMA#747 Ⓓⓜⓔⓝⓣⓔⓓ ⓡⓐⓒⓘⓝⓖ

Name: Darren

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R * 09 Yamaha R6 * 08 CBR 1000RR * 04 NSR 50 * 02 KX 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
WERD.

You have to make adjustments and you sure as hell can't go in PINNED into a turn. I thought you guys would have learned this from Major Lazear, Shawn Pen, and Xtian (Indetrucks) riding the 250. LOL
I have now crashed TWICE on teh 250, both times was on corner entry PINNED!
I try to not lift because you say don't lift.... this is the price i pay. LOL!
I'm still learning... chassis is WAY different than my 1000 THAT'S fer sure!
**CVMA#747**AFM#747R**M1GP#77**LeoVince*RaceTech*Hotbodies*Cyclemall*Bridgestone *
Motorad*Dainese*PolyMoto*Woodcraft**Visit The Dmented Racing Youtube Channel*
Dmented is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 10:30 AM   #363
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

At my pace I am feeling the front sliding and pushing...and I know the difference because I have lost the front end and successfully and unsuccessfully (a la crashed) recovered front slides on my D675.

The good thing about riding the D675 was that recovering front end slides is a lot harder to recover on the Ninja 250 than it is the D675....so I may need to push it further and recover it right before it's breaking point or adjust settings on my bike.

My rear set up seems good (no lost traction even on power out...and when it happens its easily manageable)...my front I may need to fine tune. I know I have done adjustments here and there with my emulators....I know I had the stiffer yellow springs on my emulator and they felt too stiff, I loosened and it got better but still a tad stiff. I switched to the softer blue springs and it was perfect, but then as my pace got faster I encountered the same problems. I tightened them up and they got a little better.

I may swap back to the yellow springs since my pace has picked up. The other possibility is I may even try an even heavier fork oil weight since I can't control rebound settings on my fork like I could my D675. I'm currently at 15W and its good. I may jump to 20W and see how that feels.
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 10:30 AM   #364
Dmented
CVMA#747 Ⓓⓜⓔⓝⓣⓔⓓ ⓡⓐⓒⓘⓝⓖ

EH PIC

Link to original page on YouTube.

**CVMA#747**AFM#747R**M1GP#77**LeoVince*RaceTech*Hotbodies*Cyclemall*Bridgestone *

Old April 3rd, 2013, 10:33 AM   #365
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Okay, let's think outside of the box for the moment...what other adjustments one can do to avoid front end slides?

Old April 3rd, 2013, 10:40 AM   #366
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
oh oh! pick me pick me! less weight on the front end!

Old April 3rd, 2013, 10:41 AM   #367
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Okay, let's think outside of the box for the moment...what other adjustments one can do to avoid front end slides?
It mostly happens at extreme lean angles...a characteristic of the tire's smaller width IMO.

Line adjustments to really hit the apex and pick it up and gas earlier and utilize the whole width of the track help a bit so-as-to not needing to lean the bike so much, but when I ran the 2:11 pace even when I felt I had the proper line and the "just right" lean angle it would still happen. The disadvantage of this is when trying to defend your position or make a pass on someone I either get through or get enough of significant break in traction on the front where I actually had to slow down.

The other thing I noticed (and Id like to get a consenus) is when I had more than 1/2 a tank of gas the front would stick better. When I was less than half a tank the front end was lighter and it would skip around. I would adjust and put my body more towards the front and it helped a tad.

The other alternative is try a different set of tires that are wider to see if that may fix front end slides at greater lean angles.
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear

Old April 3rd, 2013, 10:43 AM   #368
Dmented
CVMA#747 Ⓓⓜⓔⓝⓣⓔⓓ ⓡⓐⓒⓘⓝⓖ

Quote:
Pick up the bike sooner (like i NORMALLY DO)

BAM!

Old April 3rd, 2013, 10:45 AM   #369
Dmented
CVMA#747 Ⓓⓜⓔⓝⓣⓔⓓ ⓡⓐⓒⓘⓝⓖ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblekain View Post
The other thing I noticed (and Id like to get a consenus) is when I had more than 1/2 a tank of gas the front would stick better. When I was less than half a tank the front end was lighter and it would skip around. I would adjust and put my body more towards the front and it helped a tad..
AGREED!
I run faster on a full tank. WIERD!!!

Old April 3rd, 2013, 10:59 AM   #370
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:
Wow! That race was epic! Sum awesome passing guys!

Oh, now I see why you crashed D...and it wasn't cuz your tires were worn down (or not)...you were off line.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 11:04 AM   #371
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
It mostly happens at extreme lean angles...a characteristic of the tire's smaller width IMO.

Line adjustments to really hit the apex and pick it up and gas earlier and utilize the whole width of the track help a bit so-as-to not needing to lean the bike so much, but when I ran the 2:11 pace even when I felt I had the proper line and the "just right" lean angle it would still happen. The disadvantage of this is when trying to defend your position or make a pass on someone I either get through or get enough of significant break in traction on the front where I actually had to slow down.

The other thing I noticed (and Id like to get a consenus) is when I had more than 1/2 a tank of gas the front would stick better. When I was less than half a tank the front end was lighter and it would skip around. I would adjust and put my body more towards the front and it helped a tad.

The other alternative is try a different set of tires that are wider to see if that may fix front end slides at greater lean angles.
the thing i noticed most of all when doing 211 was how much less i was actually doing... instead of braking to turn, gassing out, setting up again, gassing out... i found myself just diving in and gassing the piss out of it the whole way through... the higher speed going through forced me to take a swoopy line that would smoothly connect the closer turns instead of treating things like 4/5 or 14/15 as two distinct turns. i found when i was going that pace that there wasn't any room or time to be changing lines or screwing around with anything that isn't 'go faster'

Old April 3rd, 2013, 11:08 AM   #372
dino74
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Quote:
I have now crashed TWICE on teh 250, both times was on corner entry PINNED!
How much use did that front tire have? Trying to get a sense of how long a BS front slick last.
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 11:14 AM   #373
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino74 View Post
How much use did that front tire have? Trying to get a sense of how long a BS front slick last.

With my front, it was brand new for March before the SoCal Trackdays weekend. As usual, I put a lot of laps in. The second use was at CVR again with Southbay Motorsports...rode A & B groups. Then the CVMA weekend.

Odd that it wears out faster than the rear, but I think its because the front slicks hardest compound is a soft. If Bridgestone made a medium compound for the 125 slick I think it would help a lot.

Since i have spare wheels, I may give the Dunlop Unbeatens 02 a try since they are the DOT race tire made specifically for Ninja 250 and CBR 250 racing in Japan.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 11:20 AM   #374
dino74
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Quote:
Since i have spare wheels, I may give the Dunlop Unbeatens 02 a try since they are the DOT race tire made specifically for Ninja 250 and CBR 250 racing in Japan.
That's weird because the ninja 250 has a 3.5" rear rim

From www.dunlopracing.com/fitment.pdf

The 150 Dunlop Unbeatens 02 rim range is 4 to 4.5 with 4 being the recommended size
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 11:20 AM   #375
Dmented
CVMA#747 Ⓓⓜⓔⓝⓣⓔⓓ ⓡⓐⓒⓘⓝⓖ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino74 View Post
I had 3 weekends... but it's still good

Quote:
Wow! That race was epic! Sum awesome passing guys!

Oh, now I see why you crashed D...and it wasn't cuz your tires were worn down (or not)...you were off line.
TRU!
i was too worried about protecting a pass that i chose a different line. I totally spaced out that last lap and paid the price!

Old April 3rd, 2013, 11:36 AM   #376
Dmented
CVMA#747 Ⓓⓜⓔⓝⓣⓔⓓ ⓡⓐⓒⓘⓝⓖ

Old April 3rd, 2013, 11:39 AM   #377
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:

Given your lean angle, as you roll on the throttle (depending on how much/how fast), the longer you're on the edge of the tires, the more likely you'll experience front/rear end slides.

So what adjustments would you make in your riding to prevent this from happening?

Quote:
Pick up the bike sooner (like i NORMALLY DO)

BAM!
Bwahahaha.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 11:43 AM   #378
Dmented
CVMA#747 Ⓓⓜⓔⓝⓣⓔⓓ ⓡⓐⓒⓘⓝⓖ

Quote:
So what adjustments would you make in your riding to prevent this from happening?
Bwahahaha.
I'd do what redman say's

Link to original page on YouTube.

pick it up pick it up!

Old April 3rd, 2013, 11:43 AM   #379
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 12:26 PM   #380
sierrahotel
CVMA #92

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): harleys

Nem my front end slide/chatter almost always happens somewhere just before apex, so generally I'm at maintenance throttle. I struggle with carrying enough speed into the apex. I feel very comfortable at full throttle, once I'm though that turn in phase- but mostly cause I'm slow enough that the bike doesn't have the power to get me into trouble for the rest of the turn.
sierrahotel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 12:41 PM   #381
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrahotel View Post
Nem my front end slide/chatter almost always happens somewhere just before apex, so generally I'm at maintenance throttle. I struggle with carrying enough speed into the apex. I feel very comfortable at full throttle, once I'm though that turn in phase- but mostly cause I'm slow enough that the bike doesn't have the power to get me into trouble for the rest of the turn.
question- what is stopping you from getting on the gas sooner? as in, before the apex? maybe a too slow of a turn-in is forcing you to wait on the gas until the front settles from the turn in?? don't think i've really seen you ride so i have no idea if thats the case or not. just asking

Old April 3rd, 2013, 12:47 PM   #382
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:
Odd because your bike is almost an exact replica of mine (90% or so). PM me your specs/what you've done to your bike and such. Let me take it out for a lap or two.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 01:16 PM   #383
Dmented
CVMA#747 Ⓓⓜⓔⓝⓣⓔⓓ ⓡⓐⓒⓘⓝⓖ

Quote:
chatter?

you ain't goin hard enough in tha paint!

Old April 3rd, 2013, 03:15 PM   #384
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Quote:
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 03:45 PM   #385
sierrahotel
CVMA #92

Nem I do realize that I need to get you and/or Josh on my bike to feel it. Thanks to Tiff I got a spot in the practice next month.

But yeah, I have same forks as you but with different preload and ride height, plus whatever different knob twisting on the rear shock.

Alex I do get on the gas sooner when able, but the increasing radius turns are what kill me.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 03:59 PM   #386
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
i was like

but then i was like

Old April 3rd, 2013, 09:17 PM   #387
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
whats darren cooking next round

Old April 4th, 2013, 07:49 AM   #388
Dmented
CVMA#747 Ⓓⓜⓔⓝⓣⓔⓓ ⓡⓐⓒⓘⓝⓖ

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
whats darren cooking next round

Am I cooking or is it potluck?

Old April 4th, 2013, 11:09 AM   #389
Dmented
CVMA#747 Ⓓⓜⓔⓝⓣⓔⓓ ⓡⓐⓒⓘⓝⓖ

Balsamic and Beer-Braised Short Ribs?
Beer-Marinated Tri-Tip??
Chicken with Honey Dijon-Beer Sauce???

Notice a theme?!

Old April 4th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #390
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

Quote:
Balsamic and Beer-Braised Short Ribs?
Beer-Marinated Tri-Tip??
Chicken with Honey Dijon-Beer Sauce???

Notice a theme?!
So.... beer for dinner?
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #391
Dmented
CVMA#747 Ⓓⓜⓔⓝⓣⓔⓓ ⓡⓐⓒⓘⓝⓖ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexbo View Post
So.... beer for dinner?

UMMMMMMMM....
seems legit!

Old April 4th, 2013, 11:27 AM   #392
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexbo View Post
So.... beer for dinner?
Opposed to what we normally have for dinner at the track?
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 01:25 PM   #393
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14

Old April 4th, 2013, 01:42 PM   #394
Dmented
CVMA#747 Ⓓⓜⓔⓝⓣⓔⓓ ⓡⓐⓒⓘⓝⓖ

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
HA!
that was errbody at the bbq...

Old April 4th, 2013, 05:44 PM   #395
JBinSD
ninjette.org guru

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300, '99 SV650 tracked

I have no idea how D does the whole food thing every weekend, I hate packing and prepping and crap, and usually bring a bottle of hard alcohol and some trail mix. For 3-4 days, it gets really old.

My buddy is a WERA racer who owns a mobile sushi bus, he said he'd roll out with fish if it was worth it. I know not everyone can afford that (or even want it), but just thought I'd float it out as an option. Obviously the more people down for it, the cheaper it'd be, but no way it'd be anywhere close to the smokin' $10 deal Darren does.

Anyone interested, or is that not feasible race-food? I've had him cater a few parties for me, and the dude rocks, but I know its a bit spendy too (prox$20/$30 head for 10+, cheaper for more. . . )

Just thought I'd throw it out there. . .
JBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 4th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #396
sierrahotel
CVMA #92

Anyone have thoughts on me making pitchers of mojitos next month?

Old April 4th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #397
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

Quote:
Anyone have thoughts on me making pitchers of mojitos next month?
Before getting on track or after? Cuz it's gonna be HOT
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #398
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

We're gonna need cold something that's for damn sure......

Camelbacks with pina coladas in them!? Better make it a 2 lap race....
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #399
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

I not only support that venture, but I will volunteer to taste test said mojitos.
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #400
sierrahotel
CVMA #92

Good, cause I've never made them before.