ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old March 6th, 2022, 12:19 AM   #361
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

LOL yah I know what she means and I agree, I'll shuddup on the political stuff !
the Ninja is already geared extremely low for a street bike i guess because it is really made for the track but that is one of the first things I changed on my bike I went as steep of final gearing as I could get ! 16 tooth in the front and 43 tooth in the rear and it still takes off rather well ...i have no problems with that aspect of it.... but now it will cruse easily without revving it's little heart out......... i know , I know they can do that all day with no problems but i'm a guy that likes to not rev a bike real tight and anything above 8k RPM makes me nervous ! LOL....
..... believe it or not I love 2 stroke bikes ...their my first love Triple Jim has a 750cc kawasaki 2 stroke that he has fixed up something amazing you want acceleration you need one of those things ! man they are MEAN !
of course you can't find them anymore ...and if you do find one it will set you back more than a brand new HD ! their collector items now !
...so I settled on my second best and that was a triumph and about a month went by and I saw on Cregs list a triumph for $4,000 I said WOW that's really cheap for a triumph ! .... went and looked at it with my trailer attached and brought it home ! HAHAHAHHA took a good 3 months to get it going right but now it's a one kick, going 750cc Triumph ! so I haven't been able to ride it much ...YET but I am planning on it !
out of all the bikes I have owned I think I like the big single's the best
although twins are also a favorite.... when ya want to go fast !
i like the low end torque and tractor-ability of them their just fun as heck to ride !
I think you better put the seat back on that thing before you ride it much buddy if ya hit a piece of fire wood laying in the road with no seat you'll be standing for a long time after that because of a sore butt ! LOL
later !
Bob........

Old March 16th, 2022, 04:45 PM   #362
marshallsmith27
ninjette.org member

Name: Marshall

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 and 2006 Triumph America

Link to original page on YouTube.

Here's a small update. I don't know if y'all want me to keep this updated but I can. Since y'all spent so many hours helping I don't mind posting. Or I could start a build post.

marshallsmith27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2022, 05:28 PM   #363
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 07 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallsmith27 View Post

Here's a small update. I don't know if y'all want me to keep this updated but I can. Since y'all spent so many hours helping I don't mind posting. Or I could start a build post.
Nice
shspvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2022, 08:03 PM   #364
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

thanks for that Post Marshal ! I wondered what the bike looked like when it was stripped down to the frame and all the stuff taken off but the engine itself !
....that kind'a tells me the Ninja's weight isn't in the frame and engine it's in all the extra stuff that is added on ! i bet that bike doesn't weigh 200 lbs right now.... adding the carbs and a small gas tank shouldn't add more than 50 lbs.... so you could have a Ninja's power in a 250lb bike ! now that would be something to behold !!!! it wouldn't be street legal but it sure would be fun !
Bob.......

Old March 20th, 2022, 11:43 AM   #365
marshallsmith27
ninjette.org member

It definitely does not weigh a lot. it has been in the carport and the shop lately and its been tight in both so I have been picking each end up to move it around.

I wouldn't doubt at all its near 200lbs. Since I am only putting a tank and seat on it and nothing else I'm sure it wont weigh more than 260lbs. the displacement : weight will almost be 1:1. it should be a lot of fun.

I have it completely disassembled now. I am saving money to buy a tank and tires and I will have to fabricate a seat and some flush mounted indicators so they wont get ripped off but other than those it runs and stops perfectly now.

Old March 20th, 2022, 12:03 PM   #366
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

well, then you've done good ! that is a big accomplishment !
getting one of these running top notch isn't as easy as it sounds some times !
Bob....

Old March 20th, 2022, 12:10 PM   #367
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

well sense you will be riding it on the street it is best to add all the lights !
and have that headlight ON when your riding ! it really does help those car drivers to see you and the tiny bike !
Right now I am contemplating working on my new RX4 from CSC motorcycles
because the rear suspension is really hard... I checked on the china riders forum and found I am not the only one complaining about that... but it looks like replacing the shock and spring with a custom made one is the only one that really works ! and that is expensive. so I don't know what I'm going to do yet....
Bob.....

Old March 21st, 2022, 11:05 AM   #368
marshallsmith27
ninjette.org member

I have never heard of CSC Motorcycles before I will have to look those up.

Old March 21st, 2022, 02:21 PM   #369
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

there based in Azusa ca. near L.A.
here's their link https://cscmotorcycles.com/
they have good quality cheap motorcycles from China...
I have 2 of their bikes from 2021 and I would buy again good people to deal with and they sell alot so their busy..... I honestly think they will be around a while ! and not some fly by night dealer.
although the battery in the TT250 is a rather poor one it's the only real complaint i have on the 2 bikes and really... that is minor to replace.
they make the only "Practical" adventure/tourer on the market in my opinion
it's not cheap... but I got mine for $5,500 to the door. and that included california licenses and reg. now I have a 450cc bike that is capable of 80mph cruising ....albeit it's a heavy bike ! at 450lbs.....
Bob.......

Old March 30th, 2022, 12:22 PM   #370
marshallsmith27
ninjette.org member

They seem to have pretty cool bikes. I havent heard of them before. They had electric bicycles too!

Old March 30th, 2022, 08:32 PM   #371
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

lol after I said that I took the bike for the first ride sense being layed up for the winter and i noticed the heat getting too high so I turned around and went back home.....
I've checked to see if it has coolant ....although to be honest I did NOT check the radiator just the reserve tank and that is wrong, I need to check the radiator specifically because it will not always drain the reserve tank first.... i've had that problem with a car before....
I pulled the temperature sensor plug and put my trouble light on one side and the fan started so I know the fan works ( i never did hear the fan come on)
...I couldn't find anything wrong with it so I am waiting for CSC to get back to me...specifically Joey as he's pretty darn sharp on these things... but I guess I caught him on his days off as he has not gotten back to me yet....
I dunno what I gott'a do to get to the silly radiator cap it's burried under the fairing ..... but tomorrow if it's not raining and I get up in the daylight hours
I'll look into that problem and see what I can find ...but i've had no problems with the bike in 60 miles so far then I covered it for 3 months and then tried to take it for a ride and then the temp gauge goes almost to the top.... so that ain't right i gott'a fix it
sitting for a long period is hard on any machine even the fuel injected ones
the TT250's battery is dead..... not even 6 months old but I knew they used a cheap battery and I'll replace it with a better one soon it has a kick start so I can start it even with a dead battery ! I like that !
an Oddity .....we might be able to see the Aura borealis tonight because of the big solar flare.... that will be neet !
Bob.........

Old March 30th, 2022, 08:37 PM   #372
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

if you look at all the Adventure bikes on the market almost everyone has a seat height of 34" and that is impractical as all get out for me seeings as I have a 30" inseam with my boots on !
if you can't touch the ground when sitting on the bike you are a danger to the bike and the bike is a danger to you.... and that is not practical at all
so I gave up looking at adventure bikes with more than a 31"seat height.
my triumph has a seat height of 30" I think and it is easy to flat foot even for this short guy ( it could be less ...I haven't measured it)
Bob.......

Old March 30th, 2022, 11:19 PM   #373
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
I have 28" inseam and have no problems on adv bikes with 34" seats. Heck I even raised my Ninjettes by 1" for more ground clearance... I think you should take some dance lessons... or tae-kwon-do... this issue is never gonna go away because you can't possibly lower every single bike in World...

DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2022, 12:50 AM   #374
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Can you do it YES absolutely ,I have done it myself even,.....
is it safer DEFINATELY NO....
I think your missing the point here I could ride a 34" seat height bike if I wanted to..... but I don't want to.... it's far better and safer just to lower the bike so I can touch the ground....
for the street I don't want to ride a bike I can't flat foot both feet on the ground at a stop sign.... a 34" seat height bike I cannot do that in ANY WAY i have to slide my ass off the seat and to one side to get my foot down
(and god help me if I forget just one time ! ).....that's not a safe practice !
Now you may well be so accustomed to it that you never forget and it has become second nature to you ...and that has become the way you ride motorcycles..... but it is NOT as safe when the S**T hits the fan and your natural reactions kick in and you stick your foot out to catch you and you fall over anyway......yah I know, you don't make those mistakes and you are so good at what you do that you never forget..... well buddy your the only one
the rest of us idiots out here aren't that good and we do revert to the natural instincts when bad things happen like panic braking ...too much when you know you shouldn't...... it happens ! or braking at the last minute and stopping just in time and then falling over just because the frigging bike is too far off the ground for your legs to touch easily..... been there done that !
I'm saying your bike is alot safer to ride if you can flat foot it ...no matter your size.....if you can't your a danger to yourself and others, not to mention your bike..... because those instinces happen far to regularly where the idiot in the car ahead slams on the brakes for no reason and your following too close to stop..... when is the last time you followed in traffic at 50 MPH and had 6 car lengths between you and the guy in front of you ? NOBODY does that.... should they ? YES.... but we don't .
let me tell you something about myself.... if I had bought a Yamaha T7 which I was considering very seriously... I would have lowered that brand new bike by now Regardless of other people telling me ahh Bob, you can learn to ride it just like that..... because I know I can ride a bike like that
but IT IS NOT SAFE !
....so yes I can lower any bike I own if I want to, and have been doing so every sense they started making the bikes so darn tall
.....one on the draws to the Harleys is their low seat height but watching a few videos I see that has also changed slightly the short gals can't flat foot the new ones.....
what gives the motorcycle manafacturers the right to make a modle of bike so tall that it is a hazard to all that ride it ? on some of these bikes now days you'ed have to be 8' tall and most of that legs alone just to flat foot their bikes...... yet we still buy them because there is nothing else available...
so it comes back to the owner to LOWER the bike to a reasonable level
at least to the point you can be on the seat and touch tippy-toe (but that is not good enough, i know from experience)
in the quest for higher ground clearance the seat height went up on dirt bikes..... they got their ground clearance but the consumer lost more than he gained...... dessert racers Loved it..... but side stands went out at the same time due to the height... so you had to find a tree to lean the bike against
....one guy I knew never slid his butt off the seat he just stepped off the foot pegs to the ground when he stopped..... is that what we will be forced to do on the street in the future because the manufacturers fail to lower the seat height ?....its silly, just lower the bikes yourself !
Bob......

Old March 31st, 2022, 08:50 AM   #375
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 SV650S 2005 EX250F

Looks like Ms. Maier in the video above has some good tips for the vertically challenged rider. I especially like the point she makes at the beginning of the video that she "prefers not to wrangle a 550lb bike". Height has nothing to do with that; none of us will win in that fight. That's a lesson folks have been learning long before motorcycles.

Her attitude about the sport of ADV riding is right on: ADV bikes are big, and she's doing what she needs to do to collaborate with them. Lots of guys like me (over 6 feet and close to 200lbs) have a false notion that they can "control" any bike by force. That is a lie we tell ourselves. Also, her tips and skills are specific to off-road riding. To simply enjoy riding, you don't need a GS1200 or a T7, there are plenty of capable bikes out there for small riders. I don't really hear HD riders complaining about seat heights. If you aren't into cruisers (and like sport riding like lots of guys here do) you can ride just as fast on a CB300 as guys try to on their bigger bikes. Or, (even...) an old ninjette. Mine is somewhere between 28-29" by my tape measure and I consider that pretty low.

I think finding the bike that fits the rider is key. If I was 5'6" or whatever I would probably be riding something other than my SV on the regular. I don't know what, but I would not be looking at something that made me feel uncomfortable. While the ADV fad may be trending towards tall bikes, that doesn't determine what winds up in my garage. I prefer to ride my own ride.

Old March 31st, 2022, 01:08 PM   #376
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Indeed ! well said Drew ! yes over the years I have been frequently reminded that 350lbs or so is alot more than I can man handle ! in my younger years I was short but strong and I could grunt the monsters around by sliding the back around or something like that but now that I'm gaining on 69 years of age I am finding my strength is going away quickly and it's not something I can rely on any more..... getting old sux ! i laid the Rx4on it's side on my very first ride turning around and I can come up with a hundred excuses for that little mishap but the fact that I only barely got it back up on it's wheels by myself
reminded me that this bike is heavy at 450lbs ! and the tall seat height at the time had alot to do with that lay over.... i have sense lowered the bike
but I'll be more careful when putting my wheels in soft cinders on the side of the road !....
Off road is not as easy to pick up a bike....been there done that one too many times to count...so I made myself a pole jack to carry in the RX4 to help with that just incase i need it....
Bob.....

Old April 1st, 2022, 06:20 PM   #377
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

if Marshall is still messing with that bike I have this to say......
and I quote...he wrote....."I went back to the 38 idle jets because it ran a little better with them. I have blown through all the passages at least 20 times. the air compressor I am using is a 150 psi compressor so I WOULD think it would clear the passages out."
I don't care if you have 200 P.S.I air pressure you cannot get the passage ways in the carburetors clean doing just that !!! gas dries into a varnish and sticks to the walls of the very small tubes in the carburetors you have to scrape it out,
brake it loose, and then flush it out... to get them clean, air alone will NOT do it.
..... it will on the Triumph because the passage ways are bigger but on the Ninja they are quite small and the idle passage way is the worst to clean, it branches off into 4 tubes each tube has to be clean or the bike will not run like it did straight from the factory !
Don't give up on it Marshall ! you can get it running just clean the carbs one last time and get the pilot passages super clean look at Danno's post somewhere on here that shows where those passage ways are
and Gorden even mentioned using guitar string wire to clean the passages
it's a do-able job ! just aggravating that nothing seems to work !
and that's because the carbs are still plugged in there or restricted !
they gott'a be clean !!!!

Remember carb cleaner now days doesn't remove varnish worth a darn ! they had to take out the chemical that worked so now carb cleaner doesn't clean that much !.... ya gott'a do it by hand !
Bob........

Old April 5th, 2022, 09:09 AM   #378
marshallsmith27
ninjette.org member

@Bob KellyIII Sorry I didn't disappear. Just working a lot. I did get it working almost exactly 1 month ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallsmith27 View Post

I don’t know why but I can’t remember how you said to post youtube videos but they just give an error when I select the youtube button

just a small clip. runs, rides and new tires

Old April 5th, 2022, 09:17 AM   #379
marshallsmith27
ninjette.org member

Harley had a new (clueless) parts employee and he ordered and then sold me mismatched jets and since they were in the EBC bag they came from factory in I never looked at their values. One was 38 and the other was 40. It never would have ran like that. He took them out of the bag in front of me but I wasn't paying attention so I took them home and just installed them.

The day I got it running it was finally warm outside and I was in the sun and I took the bowls off and the sun shone on the pilots and I instantly saw the problem.

That same day I went back to harley and asked did they have the other two 40 jets from the 4-pack and he said it looked like they had 3 jets in stock..... Harley doesnt use 40 jets in anything. Right when he said that I realized that dude had only sold me one 40 and another 38 because I got him to order 38s too but at a previous date.

I'm just waiting to order all of the parts at the same time so I can spend a whole day putting it together.

Old April 5th, 2022, 09:28 AM   #380
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

LOL yah parts counter help can be fun sometimes !
... now that you know where you went wrong it's an easy fix ! and that is great!
there is sun shine out there this morning and it's supposed to hit 70 deg today
i think it's time to Ride that RX4 .
finally good weather here ! Amazing !
Bob....

Old April 5th, 2022, 11:49 AM   #381
marshallsmith27
ninjette.org member

you should get out. sounds like the perfect day!