ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old October 24th, 2013, 08:41 AM   #1
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Bluetooth communication devices: what do you have?

So what do you use? I'm looking to get some real world feedback.

Old October 24th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #2
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

This generic one, works really well with my mates one of the same, cheap, plays music well, loud, yeah.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/interphone-B...rds=bt+headset
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2013, 10:25 AM   #3
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Sena SMH5-FM

Pairs really easily to multiple devices (have it hooked to phone audio on my Samsung and my media audio on my ipad). Big jog dial to fiddle with settings while gloved up. Speakers loud enough when against my ear to hear over the ear plugs. FM stations quick to flip through either by tuning or presets. Even has a neat feature that it'll detect the first ten stations and auto program the presets. Can even run it while plugged in and charging (I can get about four hours steady use out of the battery).

However...

Fm antenna is weak. I'll lose stations that my car continues to pick up fine.
When plugged in, wire interferes with the antenna and I can't pick up anything.
Lately been having issues with it maintaining a connection with the Samsung. Either the actions are delayed or non responsive or it fails to connect at all. Seems to randomly disconnect, dial again, start or stop music (when it pairs again and defaults to media audio through the phone) but may be delayed responses to me trying to get something working. Honestly though the probs are only between my phone and the Sena so not sure which device is having the issues. The iPad is working fine.

I ride solo so have never used the intercom and the reason I got the Sena was they have a device that will plug into a standard FRS radio and convert the signal to a Sena intercom, allowing someone with a radio to chat with you on the bike. Really want to test that one out.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2013, 10:49 AM   #4
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
works with any earbuds and has a mic. I Velcro it next to my mouth and plug my Dr Dre earbuds
paired with my laptop, 2 HTC phones, and a Pantech phone
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BH-214-Bluet...item2ec956f771

paired with my laptop and 2 HTC phones and a Pantech phone
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2013, 11:37 AM   #5
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

sena smh10r

music at full blast at interstate speeds gets drowned out, could just be that my helmet is too loud

Basically, the speakers are weak with no bass whatsoever. Granted, just going around town, I can hear the music and stuff no problem.

I would buy it again.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2013, 12:03 AM   #6
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2003 Honda CBR600RR

Cardo Scala Rider G9's, amazing kits but not without quirks.

I use them with 33 NRR ear plugs and I rarely have to increase the volume at one or two notches above mid volume.

On the freeway at 65mph plus, you may have to increase the volume a little bit as the automatic gain control (even when set to maximum sensitivity) can't quite keep up. You loose a little bit of the bass range of sound interestingly enough at higher volumes on the freeway, but sounds just fine on surface streets.

I have the kit installed on a Shoei RF1100, installation was pretty clean and simple, however it's easiest to cut the guides on the left cheekpad to allow for a more seamless incorporation of the speaker wires instead of kinking them around.

I also prefer to use the flexible, wired microphone instead of the one that is bendable as it takes less space.

Call quality is good, I can call my girlfriend at the push of two buttons on the unit itself and have a pleasant chat with her all the way up to the freeway. However once on the freeway she is near impossible to hear no matter how high the volume is. She can hear me just fine, so I use this time to tell her good-bye.

Interestingly the helmet to helmet intercom is fantastic in comparison. Freeway chatting is very easy and clear. It is entirely hands free once an intercom session has been entered, and you can easily intercom with up to 4 people simultaneously. The unit itself has storage space for 9 other riders that you can cycle through.

Radio quality and clarity is excellent, very easy to hear at all ranges of speed and ambient noise levels.

Pandora quality from my phone is also excellent, I listen to it every day to and from work and is clear even on the freeway as long as you assist the automatic gain control slightly by amping up the volume.

My only other complaints with the kit is that the connections themselves occasionally fail, like it might decide all of the sudden it doesn't like my phone and won't connect. Granted this situation is rare, but I have encountered it a small handfull of times. Easiest way to prevent it is simply to reset the device, forgetting your phone, and reconnecting.

I should also mention that I have had 2 speakers fail, both were on the right side. But it was simple enough to warrantee out the damaged speakers and get replacements.

Overall conclusion, the G9 is an amazing kit even with it's quirks. I'm very satisfied with them (I ended up buying 3). Though they are fairly expensive when compared to most of the other kits out there, the features they come with are very neat and user friendly.

Old October 31st, 2013, 06:42 AM   #7
DCMoney
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 1198s, Triumph D675, Suzuki SV1000s, `08 Ninja 250, `11 Ninja 250, Suzuki GS750

I have the Scala G9, also have 3. This was my first communicator and im glad we went with the G9's.

I agree 100% with Scattcatt on his review, and have had 2 speakers fail as well.

After my first ride with them I couldn't believe I went so long without them.