ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old July 19th, 2015, 01:36 AM   #1
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
BiLT Pit Boots Review

I've owned these boots for over 7 months now, and even wrecked in them. For what they are, they're decent boots for $60, which is what I payed for them at my local Cyclegear. If they cost any more than that, wait a few weeks. They'll go on sale again.

THE GOOD:

They hold up in a crash reasonably well. I don't think I wumped 'em too hard in my particular crash, but they didn't explode upon impact. Also, one time I kicked a big pine cone in the middle of the road going 55. I only realized a few minutes later that it probably should have hurt like hell, but didn't. I felt no pain.

I've also dropped my bike on my foot while doing a U-Turn. The engine landed right on my foot and I wasn't able to slow the impact too well. That also would have hurt like hell if I'd been wearing my converse.

The reflective bits on the back are a nice touch.

THE BAD:

The aglets fell off the laces (not too big of a deal. I'll replace mine with paracord)

The insoles they give you are complete trash. Trade 'em out for some Dr. Scholl's or something. They're a felt thing that does nothing and it's horribly uncomfortable to walk in them. It's fine for riding but if you wanna stop for a pee break or go explore a walking trail, these boots suck for that.

They REALLY get chewed up when wet.

The reflective piping started to tear.

They scuff easily

Also, if you do get sidetracked like me and like exploring walking paths, these boots have terrible grip because the soles are a hard rubber with no texture.

They're more of a riding shoe, not a boot. This doesn't offer the same protection as a fully sized boot.

OTHER THOUGHTS:

Some reviews I read complained about the laces being too long and they were scared they'd get caught in the bike. Those reviewers are dumb.

Pretend this is you looking down at your untied boot with your foot in it:

Tie the boot so the little loopies are really small, and don't fasten the velcro strap yet:

Now tuck the laces into the boot:

And fasten the velcro strap! No dangley bits!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150510_223427.jpg (64.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150510_223431.jpg (52.0 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150510_223457.jpg (105.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150510_223505.jpg (119.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150510_223511.jpg (134.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150510_223539.jpg (129.2 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150510_223544.jpg (115.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150510_223547.jpg (133.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150510_223622.jpg (85.0 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150510_223639.jpg (100.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150510_223715.jpg (118.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150510_223740.jpg (116.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150510_223746.jpg (128.1 KB, 56 views)
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2015, 05:18 AM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Thanks for the review.

Bilt is what it is... cheap stuff. If you accept that and don't expect to get the equivalent of high-end boots for a bargain-basement price, it's fine. My regular wear boots are Bilt Trackstars. I bought them for $79 minus a discount coupon. Four years in they're still hanging on but are showing their age. A while back a forum member put up a pair of the exact same boot for sale, and now those boots are sitting on the shelf waiting. Two pair of boots, probably ten years of use total for about $120. So for the price, fine.

For the track, well, that's different. I have a pair of Sidis for that.

Question: Do they run true to size? The Euro size molded into the sole of my Trackstars is correct, but the US size tag sewn into the top of the boot is one size too large.

To be honest, I fail to see what these provide that ordinary hi-top sneakers (not Converse) do not. There isn't even a shifter protection pad on the top of the left foot. Aside from being marketed as riding boots, what about them do you feel makes them good for use on a motorcycle?

Just my $0.02, but a motorcycle boot should do four things:

1) Fully support your ankles, not just cover then - i.e. extend up your leg.
2) Provide good shin protection against flying stones, etc.
3) Offer wear protection against getting chewed up by your shifter
4) Be smooth enough to move your feet on the pegs

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.

Last futzed with by adouglas; July 19th, 2015 at 07:27 AM.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2015, 01:30 PM   #3
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Question: Do they run true to size? The Euro size molded into the sole of my Trackstars is correct, but the US size tag sewn into the top of the boot is one size too large.
In terms of dimensions, they fit just like a pair of Converse do. I figure Converse is a good benchmark because A: It's such a common shoe and B: It's the only shoe I wear

Quote:
To be honest, I fail to see what these provide that ordinary hi-top sneakers (not Converse) do not. There isn't even a shifter protection pad on the top of the left foot. Aside from being marketed as riding boots, what about them do you feel makes them good for use on a motorcycle?

Just my $0.02, but a motorcycle boot should do four things:

1) Fully support your ankles, not just cover then - i.e. extend up your leg.
2) Provide good shin protection against flying stones, etc.
3) Offer wear protection against getting chewed up by your shifter
4) Be smooth enough to move your feet on the pegs
They do not support my ankles. No medial/lateral tilt protection (am I saying that right?) It's very possible for my foot to hyperextend and injure my ankle in the event of an accident, and I don't think the boots would do anything about it.

A good pair of high-top basketball shoes would probably offer almost the same protection as these, except these have some kind of composite thing in the toe, AND the soles are really REALLY hard and won't bend and allow your foot to be crushed as easily.

My next boots will be chosen a little better. I bought these a few weeks after I started riding and didn't think much about it. For what they are, $60 is a decent, fair price. That said, I'll soon be opting for something more expensive.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2015, 01:41 AM   #4
asdfman
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Name: asdfman

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250 held together by duct tape and zip ties

Quote:
To be honest, I fail to see what these provide that ordinary hi-top sneakers (not Converse) do not.
Riding shoes in general are probably enforced more in the right places compared to regular shoes. For example, these Bilt shoes most likely have some kind of material to protect the heel from crushing. Regular shoes won't have that as they're made with comfort in mind. Also, the Bilt shoe is probably thicker and heavier for abrasion resistance. I agree that it won't really protect your ankle from sprains (comparable to sneakers in fact), but the abrasion resistance for the ankle bones is something good to look for in a motorcycle shoe since it's so vulnerable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
A good pair of high-top basketball shoes would probably offer almost the same protection as these
Actually, a good pair of basketball shoes would probably be super light and thin for maximum movement on the basketball court, but I know what you meant.

I definitely wouldn't mind wearing shoes like these Bilt ones if I'm just riding around town and need some comfort/looks for when I'm walking off the bike. For the twisties, definitely consider a good pair of riding boots. But hey, riding shoes are better than nothing!
asdfman is offline   Reply With Quote