ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 24th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #1
seldom
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Blue Ninja 250R

What could be wrong with the steering.

Hi,
Afew weeks ago I notice the steering on the bike was ridding strangly and it seems loose and to my shocking surprise the steering stem head nut was loose loose. I took it in and they tightened it.
Ever since then I feel like the bike is not responding as it should be such as when I am turning left/right at around I can feel a vibrations and movement and when I go over the speed bump going straight I feel like there's movement in the steering. The steering stem head nut is not loose. I don't know how to describe it and when I took it down to the dealer I bought it from they reckon nothing is wrong with it. They didn't even put it up on centre stand to check the front steering instead they just ride around the dealership car park and tells me it's fine.
Yesterday I started hearing a soft squeaking noise coming from the front wheel between 60km to 30km. Almost like a bird calling sound. I taught it might be the front brake so I check if the brake pads and there are still about 3-4mm meat left on it.
This morning I just try to use the rear brakes to stop and it is becoming apparent the noise is coming from the front even without doing front braking.

So 2 questions. What's wrong with the steering or could it be head bearing in the steering stem?
What's is causing the squeaking noise?

Please help my dealer is trying to stiff me and it is starting to comprimise my safety. My next step will be Kawasaki Australia and lodge a formal complain or go to a trusted mechanic. But the bike is only 6mths old done only 4500km so would it be cover under warranty?
seldom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #2
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

You may just need to grease/lube your front axle to help with the squeaking sound.

Which nut did they tighten? Just the one on top of the top triple tree? If that's all they tightened you'll want to take off your top triple tree and check that your steering stem nuts are not loose. There should be two of them, one on the bottom and then another on top of that with a locking washer between them to help keep them from loosening.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #3
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

grease up the speedo drive too.

Old May 24th, 2011, 09:46 PM   #4
seldom
ninjette.org member

The nut they nightened is the big one in the middle of the steering bar and just below the bar. I see a scratch on it so I assume they tighten the one below the bar where that big nut in the middle is screwed onto.

Could the noise be caused by warped brake rotor? and if it is would it be cover under warranty? if not a warranty job I'll take it to a better mechanic rather than the dealership.

What could be causing the handling problem when I'm turning or going over a bump. It's really strange feeling but I'll try to describe it best as possible. Sometimes it feels like I'm going over rippley road when I'm turning and the road is smooth. Sometimes I feel clunk kind of feeling when I am turning on my right hand and when I go over the speed bump I feel the wheel moved slightly back that kind of feeling. I am pretty sure they're all not in my head. I wish I'm more mechnical so I don't need to travel 25km just to get it checked.

Last Saturday I wasted the whole morning going to the dealership only to be told there's nothing wrong with the bike after the owner of the kawasaki rode around in the car park less than a min.
I am really concern because this is conpromising my safety because the handling is not right.

Old May 24th, 2011, 10:16 PM   #5
kkim

this should be covered under warranty. contact Kawasaki directly if you don't get cooperation from the dealer.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 10:42 PM   #6
seldom
ninjette.org member

Does anyonne know Kawasaki Australia no.? I can't find it on Kawasaki Australia website. Ridiculous.

Old May 24th, 2011, 10:50 PM   #7
kkim

http://www.kawasaki.com.au/index.php?page=about

http://www.kawasaki.com.au/kawpublic_docs/faqs.pdf

Old May 24th, 2011, 11:15 PM   #8
seldom
ninjette.org member

So would I be able to take the bike to a different dealership and get it checked and fixed under warranty or is the warranty work only carried out from the dealer I bought the bike from.
The dealer I bought it from is trying to stiff me and I've wasted several times going there and it's just beat around the bush. I have organised a reputable mechanic to check the bike out this Friday and he'll tell me what's wrong with it so I can take it to the dealer I bought it from to get them to fix it. I don't really trust the dealer I bought it from anymore though. And on those URLs Kim you provided it said to contact Kawasaki dealer no numbers to call.

Old May 24th, 2011, 11:22 PM   #9
seldom
ninjette.org member

I know it's hard to diagnose the problem without having a look at it but has anyone had similar issue. Your input will be very much appreciated. Right now I can't effort for this bike not functioning because that's my only mode of transport to work atm.

Old May 25th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #10
kkim

does this help?
Contact Kawasaki Motors Pty Ltd
If you have any questions about this privacy policy or KMA’s treatment of your personal information, or wish to enquire about what
information KMA may hold on you, please write to:
• by email to info@kawasaki.com.au ; or
• by post to Kawasaki Motors Pty Limited, Locked Bag 24, Rydalmere 2116.