Notices

Old June 6th, 2012, 02:43 PM   #1
bikerchick
ninjette.org member

Name: Hilary

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

ninja 250 stalling at stop signs

Hey guys,

So I took a motorcycle course a few weeks ago but before that I had never driven standard.
I picked up my bike yesterday from the dealership, and took the side street home. But whenever I was pulling away from a stop sign I kept stalling and I wasn't sure what I was doing wrong :S. I'm positive it was in first but I may have not had the clutch in all the way. It would stall and then when I got it to work it would kind of jerk forward.

:S:S
bikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
only advice i can think of is go slow letting the clutch out and make sure you have enough gas

Old June 6th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #3
Ptdoughnut
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mason

Motorcycle(s): 12 250r (sold), 2014 ZX6R

find the sweet spot with the clutch, slowly let it out until the bike starts to roll forward without any throttle. then slowly add some throttle and ride away. Thats how i was taught.

Old June 6th, 2012, 07:07 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
It just takes time; keep practicing!!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #5
lostdaemon
ninjette.org member

Name: Mar

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninjette

I did that when I first started riding so much I thought there was something wrong with my bike.

If you're doing what I did, you may be letting the clutch out too fast, and not opening the throttle enough - and without fuel and the clutch out, the bike stalls, you jerk forward, nearly fall over, that sort of thing. Because I did that oh so many times...

Play with revving the bike - opening the throttle a little much and gently letting out the clutch. You may be noisy, the bike may jump a little when starting forward, but you won't stall. Keep practicing and you'll be able to find that balance of the sweet spot on the clutch where the engine catches and the matching throttle you'll need to accelerate at the speed you want.

Hope that might help...
lostdaemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #6
bikerchick
ninjette.org member

Name: Hilary

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

Thanks

Thanks guys. I was just practicing with my clutch and I was letting it out way to quick. I think the bike I learned on was a lot less sensitive. Now to practice some more
bikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2012, 08:27 PM   #7
Ramen
Frak It

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Same thing happened to me. I learned on here that adjusting the clutch (where it releases much closer to the grip) worked wonders. From the dealership, the clutch didn't release until the my palm was practically flat. Very unnatural.
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2012, 01:13 AM   #8
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Hi Hilary,

Clutch control seems to be the problem. It may be nice to just sit on the bike and get to know where the friction zone is. That's the part where you let the clutch out just enough that you feel the bike start to move. At that point, you should add a little gas. I'm sure you've figured this out though judging your recent post.

I had a pretty big problem the first few days with letting the clutch out too fast too. I jerked a lot, but never stalled. I will say this though, I did stall at a few red lights before because I stopped in a high gear. So at lights, even now after months of riding, I always click down just to be sure lol.

Btw, welcome to the forums.
Mods: flushmount Led front binkers, diode mod, pazzo levers, clear tank pad, racing replica grips, bike monkeys integrated tal light, zx-2r vinyls, rearsets, red bar ends, and more red accented stuff.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2012, 01:26 AM   #9
Avenged7Fold
Ninjette Noob

Name: Trent

Motorcycle(s): 2004 YZF-600r ---- 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

It just takes practice, as everyone else says. Give it a little gas, and let go of the gas. Get a feel for what RPM's at launch work for you and then open the throttle to that RPM and SLOWLY let go of the clutch, that way you can get around without stalling for now. Eventually you will just get the hang of doing that naturally, took me a few days. Also check your idle, if it is too low it may stall. Kawasaki says the engine should idle at 1300 (+/- 100) rpm but others say 1500-2000 rpm.

Here's this if you want to read about idle, http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_is...I_adjust_it%3F

Old June 14th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #10
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold) | 636 (hopefully soon)

@bikerchick : so..its been a little while since you posted this thread. Hows progress going?
Gorilla25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #11
GregK
ACFT,Trk, Cage, M/C mech.

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): SV650 track,YZF450,GS1100ESDbought new in'83,BANDIT1200, Raced into ground '86 &'88 GSXR750's...

Take off smoothly

Everhtime you take off you Must Not drop your Eyes!!
Your body knows, muscle memory, how to smoothly
Engage the clutch. You R dropping your eyes. Focus farther
to the horizon ! As soon as you 'enter ' the friction zone, your
eyes drop, & U engage it too quickly.
B4 U take-off stare @ the horizon, & let the clutch out. I
Garantee this is the issue, if U were to ride a bicycle, starting
10 times in 20 feet, as practice, it would cure this issue!!
GregK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2012, 11:18 PM   #12
SafetyPaws
ninjette.org member

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

what everyone else said, l let it out slowly w/little throttle and boom! I use to count how many time I stalled on a light or step sign and tell my brother. Every day it would decrease, practice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla25 View Post
@bikerchick : so..its been a little while since you posted this thread. Hows progress going?
how's the progress?

you mite also want to try, which I still always try and perfect every day n chance I get. Clutch control driving without putting feet down. Like when there's a red light and your stopping, gain momentum by easing the clutch in and out. Then as you get better you can practice w/brakes and throttle.

rl ex, on the free interchange on my way to class it is super congested and is mostly gridlock. I practice the above on interchange cause its really annoying to put your foot down for 1 sec and then move 5 feet just to put your foit down, etc..

Old June 15th, 2012, 12:30 AM   #13
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green Ninja 250 SE

Always give more throttle to be safe. A lot of throttle and a slow clutch release is better than being stalled on the thoroughfare. Practice makes perfect. You will get it in no time. I had the same problems as you!
ajcadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2012, 12:31 AM   #14
ninja_thresh_hold
ninjette.org *********

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r (忍者 250r; sold!) 2001 zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerchick View Post
Hey guys,

So I took a motorcycle course a few weeks ago but before that I had never driven standard.
I picked up my bike yesterday from the dealership, and took the side street home. But whenever I was pulling away from a stop sign I kept stalling and I wasn't sure what I was doing wrong :S. I'm positive it was in first but I may have not had the clutch in all the way. It would stall and then when I got it to work it would kind of jerk forward.

:S:S
ive had same problem, but it may be different, so heres a few things to check, check your battery voltage, make sure youre air filter is clean and be sure to feather the clutch/throttle to make sure it doesnt die.

Old June 20th, 2012, 06:29 AM   #15
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Even though this thread is somewhat old, I'm going to throw in my $0.02:

MSF bikes are absolute garbage Don't think that most new bikes will handle like they do. Remember, a lot of inexperienced riders have ridden the MSF bikes and it's not uncommon for them to not run to their full potential because of this. A friend that I met at the MSF course I attended used a KLX 250 and the bike kept randomly shutting off and not wanting to turn on again for him. The instructors couldn't even figure it out haha.

Also, as stated before, each bike has a different friction point so it may take a while to find it. Although it looks like you have discovered that already
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #16
jboyd12
ninjette.org member

Name: Jen

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250 Special Edition

Make sure you've downshifted all the way to first gear before you try to take off from the stop sign. Similar thing was happening to me and I couldn't figure out why I kept stalling and then realized......duh I was in 2nd gear!
jboyd12 is offline   Reply With Quote