ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old June 22nd, 2014, 11:40 AM   #1
avp957
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Domenic

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

Ninja 250 bogging/stalling issue

Hi, i am recently new to the forum as i am 16 yrs of age and own a ninja 250r 2009, the only mod done to the bike was a new slip on danmoto gp. the problem with the bike is that it seems to stall or bog whenever i leave it out in the sun and heat for any period of time longer than 30 min. the bike used to do this to me with the stock muffler last summer before i installed the danmoto slip on, any ideas on what the problem could be? ( it idles fine until you drive it for a min or two then go to stop at a light or stop sign.
avp957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2014, 12:04 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Welcome to Ninjette.org, Domenic !!!

It could be related to the fuel feeding system.

The tank must be ventilated through the cap, which get clogged as years go by.

Then, you have interior mesh filters inside tank and another by the end of the fuel hose.

The petcock is vacuum activated; some leaks in the vacuum hose and no fuel flows down.

There are two float valves inside the carbs that should keep certain level of fuel inside the bowls, but again, those tend to go bad with the years, either leaking or getting stuck in the closed position.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2014, 12:10 PM   #3
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Heat and humidity can ruin small amounts of fuel. Stop leaving the bike out in the rain and direct sunlight if possible. Use Star Tron to help combat ethanol related issues in your gas.

You may also want to shim the needles with the Dan Moto exhaust (highly recommended).
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 12:25 PM   #4
avp957
ninjette.org newbie

thank you very much for the options on what it could be, i think it may be the venting because it makes a high pitch whistle when the gas cap is on

Old June 22nd, 2014, 12:36 PM   #5
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by avp957 View Post
.... i think it may be the venting because it makes a high pitch whistle when the gas cap is on
That's normal, it's suppose to do that. It is expanding gas vapors slowly leaving the tank.

Old June 22nd, 2014, 12:42 PM   #6
avp957
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
That's normal, it's suppose to do that. It is expanding gas vapors slowly leaving the tank.
so the venting wouldn't be the issue? the bike is fine after it bogs and stalls i usually wait a minute and it starts right back up with no issues and runs fine until i leave it sitting in the heat again, i cant really avoid leaving it out, i use the bike as a daily commuter to school and for general transportation everywhere until winter.

Old June 22nd, 2014, 01:02 PM   #7
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
so the venting wouldn't be the issue? the bike is fine after it bogs and stalls i usually wait a minute and it starts right back up with no issues and runs fine until i leave it sitting in the heat again, i cant really avoid leaving it out, i use the bike as a daily commuter to school and for general transportation everywhere until winter.
Just make sure you open the gas cap before you start the bike up, after it's been sitting in direct sunlight all day in the heat. Shade helps a lot.

Old June 22nd, 2014, 01:10 PM   #8
avp957
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Just make sure you open the gas cap before you start the bike up, after it's been sitting in direct sunlight all day in the heat. Shade helps a lot.
okay thank you i will test this today, also should i get a stage 2 jet kit? will this help with fuel reaching the engine easier and with power?

and is this worth a try? http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-250r...-pictures.html

Old June 22nd, 2014, 01:38 PM   #9
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
..should i get a stage 2 jet kit? will this help with fuel reaching the engine easier and with power?

and is this worth a try? http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-250r...-pictures.html
A jet kit will provide a small boost in power and eliminate any flat spots along the throttle range. Works better with an aftermarket drop in filter.

The gas cap mod works for some and for some it does not. Having it make noise should not be seen as a problem, but an indicator the your system is working properly. When it stops making noise is a sign the tank may not venting.

Old June 23rd, 2014, 10:13 AM   #10
avp957
ninjette.org newbie

thanks for the advice! no problems with starting today!! but the rpm's were dipping when i was stopped at a light after letting off on the throttle and i would have to blip it so it wouldnt cough

Old June 23rd, 2014, 10:27 AM   #11
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Despite the slip-on I think your fuel mixture is running a little rich.
Check your air filter before spending any money.
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2014, 11:45 AM   #12
CajunNinjaR
ninjette coonass

Name: Joshua

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250, 06 wr450f, x15 110, tiny 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying View Post
Despite the slip-on I think your fuel mixture is running a little rich.
Check your air filter before spending any money.
+1 on sounding a little rich, I concur. Check to see if the air mixture screws on the bottom of the carbs have been uncapped and the mixture richened up.
Posted via Mobile Device
CajunNinjaR is offline   Reply With Quote