ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old January 22nd, 2009, 09:37 PM   #1
ARc
Revolver Wario

Name: Jeffrey

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250

Logo Dude
So I Went Motorcycle Jacket Shopping Today...

Today I had the unfortunate experience of walking into Cycle Gear in Lomita, CA.

ONCE I TRIED ON THE DAINESE ZEN JACKET I KNEW I HAD TO GET IT!

Let me start with the beginning. Last night I learned that I had 30 days upon the completion of the MSF course that Cycle Gear would give me a 15% discount off my entire first purchase. So I told everyone I was heading down to the nearest Cycle Gear that day. The moment I walked in, I'm not gonna lie, I made a beeline toward the Dainese jackets. They had the Laguna Seca, Zen, a Gore Tex offering, and another one. I knew I wanted to try the LS and the Zen, so I just took off the 40 and 42 (US sizes) off the racks.

This was mistake #1

I clomped on over to the nearest mirrors and tried them on. Hey they fit well. Hey they fit..REALLY WELL. The Laguna didn't have a liner, and the Zen did, but there was just something about the color of the Zen that drew me to it, so i sauntered over to the display bike to test the fit while in riding position

This was mistake #2

The moment I got on the bike I knew I HAD to have the jacket. It was like it was made just for me. I looked at the price tag, and then did a double take. Did I read it correctly? Did it REALLY say $499?? Did a little quick calculation. $499 x 0.85 = $424.15. $75 saved is a lot of money, but I had just made $600 this week selling most of my earthly possessions! Oh well. The price we pay for quality right?

I wanted to ask for your guy's opinion on the fitment of a motorcycle jacket. What are some guidelines that you follow? Searching on other forums, it seems like they say to get a jacket that is tight as possible, because it will expand during break in. But when is tight too tight?

My second question to you is whether any of you guys work for Cycle Gear. I am contemplating taking up a part-time position because I want to spend my free time making some money to go toward my 250. I'm also curious about the employee discount that they offer, because I figure if I work there, I might as well buy most of my gear there as well.

Sorry for making your read my rant, but thanks for your time! I look forward to your replies

Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:38 PM   #2
ROCKNROLLA
<(^^,)>

Name: Vinny

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R (08)

Its crazy eh? Motorcycle gear is expensive here too - for a leather jacket your looking at $700 - $1200 AUD .. our dollar is really crap right now but it'll hopefully get better soon and I'll order the perforated Icon Accelerant jacket (so far). I'd say it depends on what fit you like, some like it firm and also helps when you come off I guess but I'll be ordering mine slightly loose because A) Sydney is hot as hell and B) If I wear it casually I want it to be comfortable and not so erm.. tight

Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:46 PM   #3
Cling
ninjette.org member

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 06 Honda 1000RR, 08 Ninja 250

Its expensive when your buying the name as well ;P ie: Dainese and Alpinestars...

I bought the best jacket I have ever owned in Austria from an Austrian leather company. How much? 150$

But you cant go wrong with Dainese, along with paying for that name you are purchasing a tried and tested brand that you know will keep you safe in the event of a crash.

Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:55 PM   #4
travis5018
ninjette.org member

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

My Joe Rocket was 125........
travis5018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:57 PM   #5
ROCKNROLLA
<(^^,)>

Heres what I'm going for:

Perforated = air flow = good in this weather
Sweat wipes off, road rash doesnt ..

Old January 23rd, 2009, 12:07 AM   #6
minizoom
ninjette.org member

Name: Alvin

Motorcycle(s): 09 ZX6R, previous bike owned 08 Ninja 250R Blue

A suit should feel like second skin. It will be tight at first but will break-in.
minizoom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2009, 12:41 AM   #7
Cling
ninjette.org member

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 06 Honda 1000RR, 08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by minizoom View Post
A suit should feel like second skin. It will be tight at first but will break-in.
My suit (MotoGP Compression) def feels like a second skin, I have like 7 crashes on it! My lucky suit!

Old January 23rd, 2009, 12:43 AM   #8
ROCKNROLLA
<(^^,)>

As in like.. race suit? (Jacket/pants?)

Old January 23rd, 2009, 07:15 AM   #9
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

It also depends on what your looking for in a jacket. Are you looking to expand your riding? Are you also interested in if it can zip to pants? (I think that is one of the best features of my leather set).

And really the ultimate question... Does it match? (LOL I am so kidding!)

Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:33 PM   #10
kkim

My motto has always been, "buy the best safety gear you can afford".

If you can afford it and it's known to be good quality, then by all means don't hesitate. You'll never regret quality down the line. That it fits well and is the style you like are bonuses.

So, I can assume it's a camo design?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:13 PM   #11
ARc
Revolver Wario

Logo Dude
So I went to the Dainese Store Today...

Last night RIGHT before i was goin to bed, Kim (Sincity) on OCmotos goes,

Jeff, psssst. We has a SALE 30-50% off!

ORLY? I said. Normally, I woulda been like. Oh. I'll drop by sometime this weekend, because their Costa Mesa store was 44 miles away. but as you all know, I was still suffering from Didn't-Buy Remorse. And the one thing I hate most in this world is traffic. So I got the brilliant idea to drive to Costa Mesa at 1 in the morning. Got there at about 2:00, and woulda drove right past it if it didn't say DAINESE on the storefront. Well. What I thought was the parking lot was closed off so I wandered around the area, before settling down at Del Taco. Thank heavens for a 24 hour place where my car would look normal in the middle of the night.

So I knock out for six hours before waking up. It's 2 hours before the store opens, so I wander around some more, and to my surprise, find the DMV! I could take the written test and get my permit! So I go in and when I get out, it's 10. Time for business.

I pull into the parking lot, and get out. Employees were really helpful, answered all my n00bish questions patiently. They didn't push me to buy anything, which I thought was super chill. I guess they don't have to since they are Dainese. I came WANTING to leave with my wallet empty. This is what their store looks like inside.

One employee stood out to me. Corey patiently answered all my questions about proper fit and the different features of each jacket. Going through their clearance rack, I found the following jackets in the sizes I liked.

After spending a good hour trying on each of the ones I liked, getting on the display bike to see how it'd feel, and contemplating the features vs. price, I ended up with the Newsan Jacket. $650 x 0.7 = 486. Tax murdered me but I was really really happy.

I've never had such a fun experience at a store before. Before, to try to save on money, I'd go to Cycle Gear, try on their stuff to get my size, then go online to find sales or closeout prices. But after coming here, I'm sure I'll be coming back whenever I need to get anything Dainese

Last futzed with by ARc; January 23rd, 2009 at 03:14 PM. Reason: EDIT: Added pictures
ARc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:46 PM   #12
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Very cool! Sounds like an awesome joint. I don't think I wuold have the dedication you did about traveling at 1am but I do miss del tacos... :: sigh ::

Old January 24th, 2009, 03:07 AM   #13
aloh
lolwut

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

ahh i remember when i first got my jacket! It was like christmas all over again. I tried on a few dainese jackets, but I didn't seem to like the fitment around my shoulder area. The armor kind of hurt my shoulders. Then I tried on an alpinestars SMK jacket and have been loving it ever since. Gear definitely isnt cheap, but its worth it to spend the money to save your hide from rash. Brands like A* and Dainese are definitely not the cheapest way to go, but to me, the difference in qualitybetween those two brands compared to Icon or something else are night and day. The things I look for in a jacket are comfort, protection (armor in the right places), quality, and of course, fitment!

I just have to get some nice full sized boots and pants and i'll be set! Ive only got a pair of alpinestar octane riding shoes and some icon shin/knee armor.

Old January 25th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #14
muffinman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), '05 ZX6R / 636

Hey man, I was in the same boat - went to CycleGear to try on the Dainese Laguna Seca and fell in love with it. The Zen's a sick looking jacket, too... good taste.

Roughly about half of my ENTIRE gear budget went to the jacket... you gotta pay to play

Anyway, if you're anything like me, you're probably still wearing that jacket around everywhere, haha. Congrats bro.
muffinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2009, 07:31 PM   #15
komohana
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
My motto has always been, "buy the best safety gear you can afford".

If you can afford it and it's known to be good quality, then by all means don't hesitate. You'll never regret quality down the line.
i resemble that remark

i've found gear i can afford through leatherup.com. they've got a variety of stuff and a broad price range.

aloha

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2009, 09:57 PM   #16
inbox526
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Sorry for the necropost but a search brought me here.

What do you guys think of www.njkleathers.com? They're "sorta" local to me, and they were said to do tailoring so i can get that perfect fit, and are giving a textile jacket for free now if i get the leather one.

Anybody have any experience with them?
inbox526 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #17
kkim

sounds like a great deal. any time you can get a custom fit, all the better. do they have any type of guaranty on the jacket?

Old April 6th, 2009, 10:26 PM   #18
ARc
Revolver Wario

Logo Dude
I looked for reviews of them online, and have heard nothing but good news about them. If you're near where they make them in San Clemente, I would recommend going down to the facilities to try out the jackets, and see how they fit you. I wish you luck with your purchase!

Old April 7th, 2009, 02:57 PM   #19
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

i have gotten all my gear from newenough closeouts on last years gear - actually makes it affordable. honestly I really like all gear i have chosen. atgatt
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #20
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Brand-name jackets don't necessarily have to be expensive. Buying last year's model or waiting patiently for a clearance sale can save a lot of cash. I have several leather riding jackets already, but when I got an email from Motorcycle Superstores yesterday featuring an AlpineStars Barcelona leather on clearance for only $141 (marked down like $200) I didn't even think twice. You can never be too rich, too thin or have too much riding gear!

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Closeouts.aspx
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2009, 03:14 PM   #21
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
You can never be too rich, too thin or have too much riding gear!
ummm... not entirely true.

Old April 7th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #22
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Point taken...ugg.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #23
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

... looks like a twig. Lucky it wasn't a windy day, or the picture taken would have been her flying in the air.

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2009, 08:25 AM   #24
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
o and you guys can check out nexo leather jackets for $150-199 CDN. They didn't have my size for green

http://www.pannonsports.com/store/pr...cat=302&page=1
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #25
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

motorcyclecloseouts.com Best place to buy if you know your size. Bougth me a Joe Rocket Supermoto Leather and a new pair or leather pants for $385 shipped.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2009, 05:59 PM   #26
JaeL
Bike Thrasher

Name: JaeL

Motorcycle(s): 2008 EX250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
i have gotten all my gear from newenough closeouts on last years gear - actually makes it affordable. honestly I really like all gear i have chosen. atgatt
I try my gear on at the local shop/shops then I gets online. I will never pay full price in a store!!!

Old April 9th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #27
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2006 250R

I hear ya on the full price, especially when shipping is free.

hmm. I wonder if I get my 10% off military discount at Cycle Gear store near me.
Hehe, being in has it's perks sometimes.

Old April 9th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #28
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:

Oh lord someone give her a cheeseburger....

Anyway, ARc, I know how you feel. I walked into a motorcycle store in my area to just "look around" and ended up walking out with a pair of $300 (CAD) A* GP Tech gloves
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #29
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARc View Post
Today I had the unfortunate experience of walking into Cycle Gear in Lomita, CA.

ONCE I TRIED ON THE DAINESE ZEN JACKET I KNEW I HAD TO GET IT!

Let me start with the beginning. Last night I learned that I had 30 days upon the completion of the MSF course that Cycle Gear would give me a 15% discount off my entire first purchase. So I told everyone I was heading down to the nearest Cycle Gear that day. The moment I walked in, I'm not gonna lie, I made a beeline toward the Dainese jackets. They had the Laguna Seca, Zen, a Gore Tex offering, and another one. I knew I wanted to try the LS and the Zen, so I just took off the 40 and 42 (US sizes) off the racks.

This was mistake #1

I clomped on over to the nearest mirrors and tried them on. Hey they fit well. Hey they fit..REALLY WELL. The Laguna didn't have a liner, and the Zen did, but there was just something about the color of the Zen that drew me to it, so i sauntered over to the display bike to test the fit while in riding position

This was mistake #2

The moment I got on the bike I knew I HAD to have the jacket. It was like it was made just for me. I looked at the price tag, and then did a double take. Did I read it correctly? Did it REALLY say $499?? Did a little quick calculation. $499 x 0.85 = $424.15. $75 saved is a lot of money, but I had just made $600 this week selling most of my earthly possessions! Oh well. The price we pay for quality right?

I wanted to ask for your guy's opinion on the fitment of a motorcycle jacket. What are some guidelines that you follow? Searching on other forums, it seems like they say to get a jacket that is tight as possible, because it will expand during break in. But when is tight too tight?

My second question to you is whether any of you guys work for Cycle Gear. I am contemplating taking up a part-time position because I want to spend my free time making some money to go toward my 250. I'm also curious about the employee discount that they offer, because I figure if I work there, I might as well buy most of my gear there as well.

Sorry for making your read my rant, but thanks for your time! I look forward to your replies
Good job. Excellent choice.

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #30
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Quote:

That is not a woman, thats a stick. I like my women to have a little meat on their bones. I like curvy roads and curvy women.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #31
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Oh and back to Jackets. Try and get an all around jacket. I have an Icon leather jacket with a zip out liner. With the liner its warm in the winter and zip it out and its cool in the summer.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #32
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

I got bigger booooobies than her

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #33
B2FiNiTY
ninjette.org member

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R

Great pick up. I love my dainese get up and worth every penny.
B2FiNiTY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2009, 10:59 PM   #34
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

I know im bumping up an old thread but, I recently got the Scorpion Hat Trick jacket, and it looks like an awesome year round jacket. It is a mesh/textile jacket with a removable wind/waterproof liner and a thermal liner. It also has CE approved armor in the back shoulders and elbows. I have not tried out the liners yet, but I have worn it in 95 degree heat and it keeps me very cool as long as im not wearing a backpack. They are priced under $250.
Cedilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2009, 06:21 AM   #35
IlBLisSlI
i'm a cow killer

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2006 250r

getting gear that looks good is expensive. getting gear that fits you perfectly is really expensive.
my i'm somewhere around 215lbs mostly muscle, i'm kind of barrel chested so its hard to find gear that fits well. After visiting several gear stores and spending several hours trying stuff on, i found the Icon Dead Man's Hand leather jacket and it fit like a glove. it felt really well made (which surprised me because i had the impression that icon only made cheaper stuff and stunt rider type gear). once i took a look at the price tag my jaw dropped at 600 bucks.
found it slightly cheaper online but still really a good chunk of change. definitely don't regret it though. has saved my skin in 2 different accidents so far.

sometimes you'll get lucky and be able to get a perfect fit on something cheaper but no matter what the cost, your skin is always worth more.
IlBLisSlI is offline   Reply With Quote