Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:23 AM   #1
masukomi
ninjette.org newbie

Name: kate

Motorcycle(s): 99 Ninja 250

Gear Up! Survey Results

The results are up!
Thank you all for filling out the survey, and spreading the word about it.

You can see the results here http://www.GearUpProject.org/survey/results.html and, because the survey is ongoing, we will be continuing to update them as new submissions come in.

You'll notice a lot of people chose "Other" for the reason they don't always wear a particular piece of gear. In general the reasons they noted were: heat (we moved these to comfort and made notes for manufacturers), that they wore jeans, and that they didn't wear them for short trips, plus a lot of excuses about nowhere to put things when they get to work (if you can hang up a coat at work you can hang up pants).

Fortunately, the first two are easy to address. There's plenty of good gear out there that will keep you just as cool as wearing nothing, we just have to educate people on what to look for. There's, obviously, a very common misconception that jeans will protect you in any way (they won't), which is, again simple education.

The short trips one is going to be a little trickier though. And we'd really appreciate your feedback on how to address it. The problem, if you're not already aware, is that the vast majority of accidents occur very close to home. These short runs to the store, gas station, or work are precisely when you are most likely to get into an accident. Unfortunately statistics aren't enough to convince people, and we need to overcome the perceived hassle of getting into gear only to get out of it five minutes later.

Part of this may be up to the manufacturers to find ways of constructing garments that are easier, and faster, to get in and out of. But, even if they come up with some trivially easy to wear and comfortable design people will still grumble about having to put it on. We've got some ideas on how to address this, but as I said, we would really appreciate hearing your suggestions too.
masukomi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:40 AM   #2
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

i don't think theres a way to get people to gear up to run down to the store. i fully understand the risks, and i'm probably not willing to put on all my stuff to run down to the corner... i'd just take the car instead, but thats no fun

i think the best we can expect is to make sure people put on their helmets and gloves for those trips. helmet and gloves should be on for EVERY ride. its quick, easy and will save your life.

obviously i encourage full gear for everything, but expecting people to gear up to run down to the corner is asking a lot from the general population unfortunately. i'm just happy to see more people wearing helmets these days at least. i've noticed a lot more full faced helmets on the cruisers even.

Old June 2nd, 2009, 08:52 AM   #3
IlBLisSlI
i'm a cow killer

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2006 250r

its great to see the results i really hope some of the companies out there make good use of the info.
as for the comment about not being able to store pants at work being a lame/BS excuse. its not. most of us in corporate america do not have the luxury of working in a motorcycle friendly environment. i get enough flack about hanging my jacket on the back of my chair because it doesn't present a "professional" work area. if i tried to hang my pants up somewhere in my cube people would flip their sh**.
yes i also work in one of those places where you hear people muttering about someone "taking up a perfectly good parking space with a motorcycle".

so no, many people who work in cooperations and professional environments don't have the luxury of storing pants at their work places.
IlBLisSlI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2009, 09:04 AM   #4
masukomi
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlBLisSlI View Post
its great to see the results i really hope some of the companies out there make good use of the info.
as for the comment about not being able to store pants at work being a lame/BS excuse. its not. most of us in corporate america do not have the luxury of working in a motorcycle friendly environment. i get enough flack about hanging my jacket on the back of my chair because it doesn't present a "professional" work area. if i tried to hang my pants up somewhere in my cube people would flip their sh**.
yes i also work in one of those places where you hear people muttering about someone "taking up a perfectly good parking space with a motorcycle".

so no, many people who work in cooperations and professional environments don't have the luxury of storing pants at their work places.
Under your desk, in your drawers or file cabinet (which most of us never use). Bring in a nice looking storage container if that's what it takes.

Think about what you're saying though. You're valuing people's opinions about the looks of your jacket / pants over your own skin. Literally. How much sense does that make? There are many ways to solve this problem that will work in your workplace. It's just a matter of applying some thought and not letting yourself make excuses. The consequences of not wearing your gear far outweigh any potential glares.

And, if anyone mutters about you taking the parking space, just mutter back about them wasting three times as much gas to get to work.

Old June 2nd, 2009, 09:22 AM   #5
IlBLisSlI
i'm a cow killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by masukomi View Post
Under your desk, in your drawers or file cabinet (which most of us never use). Bring in a nice looking storage container if that's what it takes.

Think about what you're saying though. You're valuing people's opinions about the looks of your jacket / pants over your own skin. Literally. How much sense does that make? There are many ways to solve this problem that will work in your workplace. It's just a matter of applying some thought and not letting yourself make excuses. The consequences of not wearing your gear far outweigh any potential glares.

And, if anyone mutters about you taking the parking space, just mutter back about them wasting three times as much gas to get to work.

my desk is flat and glass with no cabinets or drawers. and at my job we follow a process called "kaizen standard work" (also known as 5s.google it). basically you get written up if your stapler is not in the designated spot alloted for staplers and that sort of crap.
I have to worry about what people think. those people sign my paycheck. i have a wife and kid to feed, and after having been unemployed in this job market and economy i'm not about to go back to that.
its easy to stand on your soap box and tell people not to worry about what other people think when you yourself aren't in their situation and don't even know what their situation is. so please keep the rhetoric to yourself.

Old June 2nd, 2009, 09:44 AM   #6
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Name: Katlyn

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2009 Kawi KLX140L Monster Energy / 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R (RIP 8.23.09)

Quote:

What about in a drawer or under your desk? I don't have this problem. I've walked into the office in full leathers and riding boots with no questions asked except for - "Did you ride that three-wheeler today?" I work for a bank where more than half the people I work with are pulling in six figures.

I think it's a lame excuse. People are too lazy to figure it out so they just don't deal with it.

Or maybe the people you work with are lame.

Old June 2nd, 2009, 09:51 AM   #7
Elfling
ninjette.org guru

Name: Becca

Motorcycle(s): 03 Ninja 250, 02 CBR600 f4i

You'd be surprised how much **** an anal workplace can give you, though. I'm a consultant. I have several lawyer/realtor type clients who fuss if they see me bringing a cooler onsite, even though I don't take lunch breaks and I don't have an office, so if I want food/drinks during the day I have to bring it. I've been called into my boss's office because I was wearing pants that a client felt were "not up to their dress code" even though I'm in a server room all day. (They were just plain khakis, btw- this client would prefer it if I showed up in a suit skirt and heels to crawl around under their desks, which may be a separate issue).

However, I think it's definitely something you can take to management and say look, here's my situation, work with me. What can we do to meet your goals and mine? Which is what I do regularly. I found a cooler that looks more like a camera bag than an igloo, and nobody gives me **** about my pants anymore
Elfling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2009, 09:56 AM   #8
Elfling
ninjette.org guru

Name: Becca

Motorcycle(s): 03 Ninja 250, 02 CBR600 f4i

As a side note, the results really show the ratio of men to women I find it kind of funny. It's just like being in IT!
Elfling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:05 AM   #9
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2009 Kawi KLX140L Monster Energy / 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R (RIP 8.23.09)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfling View Post
You'd be surprised how much **** an anal workplace can give you, though. I'm a consultant. I have several lawyer/realtor type clients who fuss if they see me bringing a cooler onsite, even though I don't take lunch breaks and I don't have an office, so if I want food/drinks during the day I have to bring it. I've been called into my boss's office because I was wearing pants that a client felt were "not up to their dress code" even though I'm in a server room all day. (They were just plain khakis, btw- this client would prefer it if I showed up in a suit skirt and heels to crawl around under their desks, which may be a separate issue).

However, I think it's definitely something you can take to management and say look, here's my situation, work with me. What can we do to meet your goals and mine? Which is what I do regularly. I found a cooler that looks more like a camera bag than an igloo, and nobody gives me **** about my pants anymore
That's pretty messed up. I guess if you can find a way to explain your situation to your employer and be professional about it, it shouldn't be an issue. You can also get a cable lock to lock your pants and jacket to your bike.

Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:10 AM   #10
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
It's not about putting your jacket and pants over your chair. It's about sitting there in your underwear.

Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:11 AM   #11
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
It's not about putting your jacket and pants over your chair. It's about sitting there in your underwear.
Personal experience??

Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:16 AM   #12
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Caught again

Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:22 AM   #13
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

I ride my bike to work today.
Yes, I did wear my jacket, gloves and helmet.
I have dress boots. Not the same as riding boot but I have no other choice.
It would be weird to go into the bathroom to change pants too.
I always wear jacket, gloves and helmet to work.
I can't carry a back pack of dress shoes/boots and dress pants. Plus, If I do I will have to iron my pants at work. Too much trouble. I just have to be more cautious.
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:27 AM   #14
IlBLisSlI
i'm a cow killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderGirl View Post
What about in a drawer or under your desk? I don't have this problem. I've walked into the office in full leathers and riding boots with no questions asked except for - "Did you ride that three-wheeler today?" I work for a bank where more than half the people I work with are pulling in six figures.

I think it's a lame excuse. People are too lazy to figure it out so they just don't deal with it.

read my reply above yours

Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:29 AM   #15
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderGirl View Post

what bank are you working for cuz most people who work at retail banks don't pull in 6 figure unless they are working for investment banks.
just remember that different people are in different situations.

Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:31 AM   #16
gizmogamez
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE Green

I think that the Kaizen or 5S excuse is just that....an excuse. We follow a similar idea where I work. Everything has its place, and as such it's very easy to find anything and everything. However riding in to work and having my gear has never been a problem.
Your work place can't do anything more then bug you about your gear being in your office. You keep it hung up neatly or have a place to store it like suggested above. If your employer is still adamant about your gear being visible then they have to provide you with somewhere to put it, any sort of dress code at work does not apply to things like jackets you wear into work. If you have to meet with a client or something like that and it requires you to ride to meet them somewhere lock your gear to you bike like a lot of others do.
This is just all my opinion so I don't expect you to actually listen to any of it anyways. Just remember that the whole point of a Kaizen or 5S work environment is to constantly be thinking of ways to better everything by means of the process in which it is done, and not necessarily the end result. Maybe, just maybe, throwing that philosophy back at them will create a solution to what you feel is a problem. By improving the process of making it possible for you to maintain your professionalism perhaps a solution will be found.
gizmogamez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:33 AM   #17
masukomi
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
my desk is flat and glass with no cabinets or drawers. and at my job we follow a process called "kaizen standard work" (also known as 5s.google it). basically you get written up if your stapler is not in the designated spot alloted for staplers and that sort of crap.
I have to worry about what people think. those people sign my paycheck. i have a wife and kid to feed, and after having been unemployed in this job market and economy i'm not about to go back to that.
its easy to stand on your soap box and tell people not to worry about what other people think when you yourself aren't in their situation and don't even know what their situation is. so please keep the rhetoric to yourself.
Have you tried talking to anyone about maybe getting access to one of the supply storage rooms? Or maybe the janitorial closet?

There ARE solutions. It just sounds like your workplace requires more creative effort to find them. Plus, with such a concern about supporting your family, wearing the gear that's going to keep you alive and capable of performing your job, and seeing their smiling faces, becomes even more important.

You obviously appreciate the importance of gear or you wouldn't be lamenting the inability to wear it. So, we're on the same side. I'm just trying to help you find a solution to your problem. And I know all about worrying what other people think. I just refuse to compromise my personal safety for a paycheck. And, I will actively work my butt off to find solutions to my problems. If i couldn't wear gear to work I wouldn't ride my bike there.

Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:37 AM   #18
gizmogamez
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinng321 View Post
I ride my bike to work today.
Yes, I did wear my jacket, gloves and helmet.
I have dress boots. Not the same as riding boot but I have no other choice.
It would be weird to go into the bathroom to change pants too.
I always wear jacket, gloves and helmet to work.
I can't carry a back pack of dress shoes/boots and dress pants. Plus, If I do I will have to iron my pants at work. Too much trouble. I just have to be more cautious.
I change my pants in the restroom anytime I ride into work...as for my shoes I just leave a pair or dress shoes at work, but I did used to just throw them in a backpack and bring them with me.
All my pants are wrinkle resistant dress pants....I fold them and then roll them up and wrap them in a plastic shopping bag just incase so my lunch doesn't get on them if it leaks. I have never had a problem with them not being work ready when I got here.

Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:39 AM   #19
IlBLisSlI
i'm a cow killer

i have indeed asked them if i could store my gear in my office (after i got written up for having my helmet under my desk). the answer was a short and cold "no"
they are zero tolerance, zero exceptions kind of people. they told me that if they made any sort of exception for me then it would completely defeat the purpose of implementing 5s methodology and soon we would be making exceptions for everyone.

i definitely plan on bringing this up with the labor board, but not now. i'm new and i haven't yet made it past my 90 day probationary period so i'm in no position to rock the boat just yet

Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:46 AM   #20
smcbride11
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): '95 BMW K75

Quote:
i have indeed asked them if i could store my gear in my office (after i got written up for having my helmet under my desk). the answer was a short and cold "no"
they are zero tolerance, zero exceptions kind of people. they told me that if they made any sort of exception for me then it would completely defeat the purpose of implementing 5s methodology and soon we would be making exceptions for everyone.

i definitely plan on bringing this up with the labor board, but not now. i'm new and i haven't yet made it past my 90 day probationary period so i'm in no position to rock the boat just yet
What about grabbing a large tail bag and just storing everything outside? Yeah, you have to change shoes in the lot, which sucks, but a jacket and overpants aren't too bad to deal with. I started using a tail bag a few weeks back and just throw one of my TSA combo locks on it when I leave stuff in it outside - it's not the best solution (because it's really ineffective), but it should deter the "casual" thief.
smcbride11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:48 AM   #21
kkim

Quote:
sounds like a plan. I know you cover all bases when you do things, so don't let others put you in jeopardy of your job with their own situational ideas. Wish you the best on the new job, but you may want to keep searching if the company is that inflexible and some sort of equitable resolution can't be found in the future.

ride safe
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:48 AM   #22
IlBLisSlI
i'm a cow killer

i've had tank bags stolen before so i'm not too keen about leaving anything on the bike if i can help it :\

Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:50 AM   #23
masukomi
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:

Ok, you SERIOUSLY have my sympathies. Talk about asses. The fact that someone would write you up about a helmet instead of just telling you you can't do that.... ugh. wtf.

Nearby gym? Small sole proprietor store next door you might be able to convince to take $10 a month to let you store you gear in their back room? Carefully dispensed cyanide to "superiors"? Hmm no, maybe not that last one...

Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:52 AM   #24
IlBLisSlI
i'm a cow killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by masukomi View Post
Ok, you SERIOUSLY have my sympathies. Talk about asses. The fact that someone would write you up about a helmet instead of just telling you you can't do that.... ugh. wtf.

Nearby gym? Small sole proprietor store next door you might be able to convince to take $10 a month to let you store you gear in their back room? Carefully dispensed cyanide to "superiors"? Hmm no, maybe not that last one...
i donno i kinda like that last option...

Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:55 AM   #25
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmogamez View Post
I change my pants in the restroom anytime I ride into work...as for my shoes I just leave a pair or dress shoes at work, but I did used to just throw them in a backpack and bring them with me.
All my pants are wrinkle resistant dress pants....I fold them and then roll them up and wrap them in a plastic shopping bag just incase so my lunch doesn't get on them if it leaks. I have never had a problem with them not being work ready when I got here.
I totally agree with you and encourage you to continue doing what you are doing.
I also know that you are trying to help.
However, we are all different people, working in different environments and have different job functions and titles. Sometimes, it's just impossible for us to wear full gears. I have a tendency to sweat like a pig. If i wear riding pant I would be coming into work soaking wet. Although, there's no policy regarding coming into work soaking wet but each job title carries its own image and standard. Unfortunately, some of us have to maintain an appropriate image with the title we have.

Old June 2nd, 2009, 11:05 AM   #26
gizmogamez
ninjette.org member

Quote:
it would completely defeat the purpose of implementing 5s methodology

5s only applys to the work place environment and it's tools. If they try saying it applys to your jacket (riding or otherwise) they are idiots and full of it.
As soon as your 90days are up I'd be on them about the fact that the idea behind those policies is creating procedures that will work for the work place that have the added result of achieving the desired outcome. It is a process minded stratagy not a goal minded one. The whole idea is that the goal will be achieved as you refine a process.

Remember that these process were developed in places like Japan where some of the worlds biggest and most powerfull companies are. They are very business oriented and professionalism is big. However almost no one drives a car. Many more people ride a bike or scooter or alternative, yet somehow they are found a way of dealing with this issue of gear.

Seems very typical of a company here in north america...they are willing to implement the ideas already outlined to attempt to replicate the success of others, but unwilling to actually put forth the effort to continue the improvements that the whole idea is based on.

Lazy sob's lol