Flaming stabby thing

Old June 5th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #82
lamchops
ಠ_ಠ

Name: Janelle

Motorcycle(s): current newbie stick is a loaner :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Vibrates less but is louder than a twin for some reason. 96db with an open slip on. All the guys in Canada started getting tickets and had to put the original exhaust back on.
yenno, despite how much of an eyesore that stock exhaust is, i would probably keep it b/c iirc, that's where all that emission-scrubbing tech lays.
[(but don't quote me on it, i'm not really a tech-head (i wish...)]

after i got all into motorcycles, what was surprising and somewhat depressing for me to find out was the fact that despite being a sipper, more often than not, motorcycles release more pollutants into the air compared to cars.

Old June 5th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #83
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamchops View Post
yenno, despite how much of an eyesore that stock exhaust is, i would probably keep it b/c iirc, that's where all that emission-scrubbing tech lays.

after i got all into motorcycles, what was surprising and somewhat depressing for me to find out was the fact that despite being a sipper, more often than not, motorcycles release more pollutants into the air compared to cars.
Keep it on.

It does a great job. I can barely smell my exhaust on the CBR. The bike was designed to pass emissions all over the world. I believe the FI Ninja also passes emissions. Bike emissions in the US aren't as tough so the carb'ed Ninjette can still be sold, though the bike is jetted lean. The newgens still don't blast out as much noxious exhaust as the pregens though.
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #84
Matz
is stunning! ;)

Name: Matz

Motorcycle(s): CBR600 FS2, XT350

Hehe I was out on a chippie run yesterday evening. One of the boys was new and had a CBR250R, he let me have a go of it in an empty car park!

This was good timing!

I actually really liked it, looked fantastic in person (I still want black wheels on it) and I love how much stronger it pulls from low revs, makes the bike feel lighter. As for the height, I really didn't notice much diffference. Then again I am 6ft, so their both...nimble

HE CALLED HIS CIBBER TOO!!!
Oh and baby blade was a nickname given to the CBR400R and the CBR250RR, works just as well though, might get some stick for it in front of the real blades though :P

Old June 5th, 2012, 11:00 PM   #85
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter View Post
apparently I can

Besides isnt "godess akima" 5 syllables?
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2012, 06:59 AM   #86
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
My (requesiat in pacem) Honda Elite 110 was more expensive to insure than the Ninjette.

I love all the "small" (500 and under cc) bikes. Nobody has yet informed me of something they can't do, unless it's to hit triple digits in a straight line. Anyone can drive in a straight line; that doesn't impress me.

I'm even disappointed the CBR125 isn't here (I actually looked to see how much trouble it'd be to go into Windsor and get one) along with the Aprilia RS125 (in a street-legal form) and KTM 125.

Guess I'm just impressed by things that overperform than "super" cars and bikes that only shine on a track.
YZF-R 125 has to be the best looking small bike around, and the RS 125 stroker is a class little machine, nothing beats the sound of a well tuned stroker.

Ring ding a ding ding a ding ding a BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARP

Posted via Mobile Device
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2012, 08:35 AM   #87
lamchops
ಠ_ಠ

sorry i forgot to ask this w/ my previous quote, but how's the stock exhaust sound compared to the ninjette in loudness and pitch, and how blasphemous would it be to slap it on a ninjette? personally, it would seem like a worthy sacrifice in design if in return the ninjette was quieter/lower in pitch (like growling or purring vs screaming x_x) and spewed out less pollutants. would it even fit/be compatible? lawl sorry, idk how most mods work... /newb.

Old June 6th, 2012, 08:39 AM   #88
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

When it is idling it is defintely louder than the Ninjette. I don't know about when actually riding because the noise they make is very different sounding and I have earplugs on. The Ninjette is pretty quiet. People couldn't even hear my coming into the garage in the next room over. I don't think there's any way to actually put the CBR's exhaust on it anyways.

The Ninjette will spew more pollutants anyways because it is carbed.

Old June 6th, 2012, 08:42 AM   #89
lamchops
ಠ_ಠ

d'aww. okay, thanks

Old June 6th, 2012, 08:44 AM   #90
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

If you are looking for something primarily to reduce emissions and gas usage go for the CBR.

It's definitely better in that area.

Old June 6th, 2012, 09:34 AM   #91
lamchops
ಠ_ಠ

/aghast: how dare you appeal to my inner tree-hugger.
oh, how you tempt me, sir.

Old June 7th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #92
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Well I can't help but pass along info on a bike that I enjoy.

Normally I am averaging 70MPG, but I have gotten a tank in the 90s with some hypermiling techniques. Can probably be even better with a sprocket change.

Old June 7th, 2012, 02:57 PM   #93
Whiskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matz View Post
HE CALLED HIS CIBBER TOO!!!
Oh and baby blade was a nickname given to the CBR400R and the CBR250RR, works just as well though, might get some stick for it in front of the real blades though :P
Both were I4 screamers so were true baby blades, the 250RR made about 40bhp compared to the current gen's 27. The current one is a baby viffer more than anything & is only piggybacking on the name of the CBRs.
They may as well have called it a SP-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by etiainen View Post
Keep it on.

It does a great job. I can barely smell my exhaust on the CBR. The bike was designed to pass emissions all over the world. I believe the FI Ninja also passes emissions. Bike emissions in the US aren't as tough so the carb'ed Ninjette can still be sold, though the bike is jetted lean. The newgens still don't blast out as much noxious exhaust as the pregens though.
Yes it does
Quote:

No they don't (well higher volatile organic compounds, but overall lower total emissions) and filtering in traffic a bike will do the trip in ~1/3 the time (own experience), overall reducing total emissions & travel time for all road users.
Belgian study See P41 & have google translate set to dutch for the captions

Old June 7th, 2012, 03:24 PM   #94
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Emissions are compared on a per vehicle and per mile basis. Motos consume less fuel and emit less CO2 compared to cars but emit far more CO, hydrocarbons and nitrous oxides. We might not trust the EPA or governments but it's hard to argue against MythBusters .
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2012, 03:29 PM   #95
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

What did Mythbusters test?

They should test a bike that passed emissons overseas. I'm pretty sure my CBR emits less than whatever they tested.

Old June 7th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #96
Whiskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
Emissions are compared on a per vehicle and per mile basis. Motos consume less fuel and emit less CO2 compared to cars but emit far more CO, hydrocarbons and nitrous oxides. We might not trust the EPA or governments but it's hard to argue against MythBusters .
Quote:
The external emission costs of motorcycles (type 4-stroke, ≤ 250 cc, emissions class Euro 3) are lower than those of an average car at all speeds. For both vehicle categories the external emission costs are at their lowest at an average speed of 60 to 70 km/h.
Figure 19 compares the external emission costs of the different pollutants for motorcycles and cars are compared with each other. The emission factors applied in this case are for motorway driving at an average speed of 90 km/h.

The external costs of CO2, PM2.5 and VOC emissions are especially relevant. Cars generate higher costs in comparison with motorcycles in respect of CO2 and particulates, but lower costs in respect of VOC. The total external emission costs of motorcycles (type 4-stroke, ≤ 250 cc,
emissions class Euro 3) is 21% lower than that of an average car.
From the Belgian study I linked to above
(BTW Belgians drive smaller cages than americans, & they were looking at bikes over 250cc)

Old June 7th, 2012, 03:57 PM   #97
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

No doubt that motorcycles that meet Euro 3 emission standards emit far less harmful gases compared to motos meeting only older EPA standards. There's talk that future Euro 4 and 5 standards will cap emissions from small displacement motorcycles and scooters to be in line with current hybrid vehicles.

Old June 7th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #98
Whiskey

Quote:
No doubt that motorcycles that meet Euro 3 emission standards emit far less harmful gases compared to motos meeting only older EPA standards. There's talk that future Euro 4 and 5 standards will cap emissions from small displacement motorcycles and scooters to be in line with current hybrid vehicles.
AFAIK the FI ninja meets the Euro3 standard, and has to for type approval to be sold in the EU

(or is it the Euro4?)

Quote:
Statistics are often tweaked during their explanation to arrive at conclusions they dont actually support. *I particularly do not trust statistics that are used to support political policy and this stat kinda seems like it would be used that way.
It is, the fourth reich (eu) are trying that line (among others such as a 7 year progressive licencing requirement & a target of 0 road deaths) to regulate motorbikes out of existence

Quote:

There is also how it is used. For example a recent study out of Europe found that if 10% of cagers got on motorcycles they would reduce emissions by a massive amount. This is largely due to the fact that filtering lets everyone get to their destination faster rather than idle in traffic. In real world scenarios this must be considered, it must be included. It means that motorcycles in urban areas during rush hour where splitting/filtering is legal can actually be pollution-negative because they help cause cars to emit less due to less traffic.
Thats the one I linked to up thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
Overall reducing total emissions & travel time for all road users.
Belgian study

Old June 7th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #99
dougherty
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 HD Street BOB 2010 HD Roadglide

Maybe it should be a CareBeaR
[/QUOTE]

PERFECT!!!!!!! LOL
dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #100
lamchops
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
^this was wut i meant. :c
but this has all been very informative. & here's to hoping that in the near future, and perhaps w/ some "encouragement" by the gov'ts, all motorcycles will be better than cars on emissions in all aspects. all the more reason to have/get one but for now i guess i should be glad we're still loads ahead of cars in most aspects anyways.

Old June 7th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #101
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

I agree that MythBusters is more entertainment than science. Their results are at the very least thought provoking just as quoted. That's not a bad thing. Discussing the overall environmental impact and benefit of motorcycles goes beyond the scope and aim of their experiment. I guess the premise of the show was not so much to prove that all motorcycles emit more harmful gases than cars but to disprove the belief that all motorcycles emit less than cars and call it a myth.

There was a fourth motorcycle they used to test and attempt if they could make it more aerodynamic and more fuel efficient. I don't know the exact model or year but it was a Yamaha 250cc with FI and a cat. Even though they succeeded in making it more aerodynamic and fuel efficient, they found that it still emitted more CO, hydrocarbon and nitrogen oxide than the cars. All the emissions data was analysed by an emissions expert at the University of California for what it's worth.

I cannot remember exactly the other motorcycles they tested but I'd assume that they fall under the previous EPA emission requirements which were much more lax compared to those imposed on passenger vehicles of the same era. Pollution reducing technology such as catalytic converters and fuel injection are not as common in motorcycles as they are in cars produced under those same standards. Good news, is that with stricter standards, over time we should have a scenario where all motorcycles on the road emit far more less pollution than gas powered cars.

Old June 7th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #102
lamchops
ಠ_ಠ

Well said! And I can totally get behind that

Old June 9th, 2012, 11:28 AM   #103
Whiskey

Quote:
^this was wut i meant. :c
but this has all been very informative. & here's to hoping that in the near future, and perhaps w/ some "encouragement" by the gov'ts, all motorcycles will be better than cars on emissions in all aspects. all the more reason to have/get one but for now i guess i should be glad we're still loads ahead of cars in most aspects anyways.

NO.

I dont want to be riding something that weighs in like a goldwing just to pass emissions regs.

Emission regs have killed off almost all 2 stroke bikes (bar the RS125 in europe), if they keep pushing they'll kill off all non electric bikes, and who wants to spend 48 hours charging a bike for an hour's run

What kind of bell-end wants more government restrictions?

Old June 9th, 2012, 11:36 AM   #104
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
^ Oy you! Dis on the government but don't dis on the lovely electric bikes that are gradually stepping up their game!!

Old June 9th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #105
Whiskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
^ Oy you! Dis on the government but don't dis on the lovely electric bikes that are gradually stepping up their game!!
When they can fully charge in 5 mins, or do 4 laps of the TT course then I'll stop

Until then why would anyone want something that takes an overnight charge to do a short range run, and if it runs out you're stranded for hours (if you are anywhere near a power point)?

Old June 9th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #106
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
^ I want one! Very low maintenance, no warm up, instant access to full power, no gas station visits (just plug it when you get home), crazy cheap energy cost, automatically takes advantage of clean upgrades to our energy grid, interesting new technology, potential to generate your own electricity and use it to power your own transport, greater net efficiency than any ICE bike... my next motorcycle! Read the specs on a real electric bike, instead of listening to top gear shite (corny rhyme intended ).

I plan to keep my ninjette for long distance and weekend riding (I love the feeling of shifting gears and lots of ebikes don't have gears). I'll use the ebike for everything else: commuting, town runs, etc

Old June 9th, 2012, 03:21 PM   #107
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

But if it takes more than the life of the bike to pay for itself, then it's not going to be worth it for me.

That initial price is a lot to swallow.

As soon as you get out of the city and into the burbs or on the highway the bike will lose its juice too fast for my tastes. Currently I just have one do-it-all vehicle.

Old June 9th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #108
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
^ I want one! Very low maintenance, no warm up, instant access to full power, no gas station visits (just plug it when you get home), crazy cheap energy cost, automatically takes advantage of clean upgrades to our energy grid, interesting new technology, potential to generate your own electricity and use it to power your own transport, greater net efficiency than any ICE bike... my next motorcycle! Read the specs on a real electric bike, instead of listening to top gear shite (corny rhyme intended ).

Electric vehicles are stupid. The end!

What is going to happen when all those batteries are at the end of their useful life? Can you tell me that they will not pose a threat to the environment?

Until then I will enjoy the sights, sounds, and smells of my internal combustion engine.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2012, 10:02 PM   #109
Hopmix
ninjette.org member

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): 11 CBR250R

Track Mods

Ive seen a couple of folks mention aftermarket stuff and lack there of
As far as track there are some tid bits. ON my Cibber I have BT-003RS
Race tech Front suspension rebuild. Wood craft clips ons.
Akrapovic exhaust, Bazzaz Z-fi, Yosh frame sliders and rear sets. Speigler steel braided lines. -1+1 driven aluminum sprockets.
sharkskins.
Ohlins rear shock next on the horizon.

As far as street its been a bit limited but I saw chinese aftermarket fairings the other day so thats good.
Hopmix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #110
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluck View Post
Let's see some pics!!!!
Yes. We ninjette owners are very vein Bikes have to look pretty!

Old June 13th, 2012, 12:55 PM   #111
Heed

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

If the CBR250R looked as good as, and has been around as long as the Ninja 250r, I'd definitely get one. No contest.

Kawi just needs to do a couple of things for the Ninjette:
1. Make the US version fuel injected
2. For god's sake, have an instrument panel that looks as great as the CBR's
3. Try to sell it for a bit cheaper (CBR250R is about $400 cheaper without ABS)

Old June 13th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #112
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
^ I like the instrument panel. The price seems reasonable to me too considering how much awesome is crammed into this lil ninja.

ABS, I would like... not linked brakes though.

Old June 13th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #113
davenay67
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Goldwing GL1800, 2002 Ninja 250, 2001 VFR800, 1999 Ducati 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by etiainen View Post
Well I can't help but pass along info on a bike that I enjoy.

Normally I am averaging 70MPG, but I have gotten a tank in the 90s with some hypermiling techniques. Can probably be even better with a sprocket change.
I commute on my Ninja, so I regeared to 15/41.

I'm consistently getting 75mpg and I twist the throttle as much as I need to make 'good progress'.
davenay67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #114
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

The one thing about the CBR, the low-end just feels so good when you're in the city or in traffic.

Smooth and effortless.

Old June 14th, 2012, 09:48 PM   #115
Matz
is stunning! ;)

Quote:
Emission regs have killed off almost all 2 stroke bikes (bar the RS125 in europe)
I'm afraid even Aprillia's RS125 has been killed off.
They replaced it with the RS4 125, it's a 4-stroke!

Old June 15th, 2012, 02:20 PM   #116
Whiskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matz View Post
I'm afraid even Aprillia's RS125 has been killed off.
They replaced it with the RS4 125, it's a 4-stroke!
It's still available in europe

£100 in the difference (4 stroke is cheaper)

Aprilia are known for dodgy electrics, but other than that they're a great little bike, the Italians know how to style their machines.

http://uk.aprilia.com/en-GB/Model/29.../Overview.aspx

Old June 16th, 2012, 05:20 AM   #117
Matz
is stunning! ;)

Quote:

Aprilia are known for dodgy electrics, but other than that they're a great little bike, the Italians know how to style their machines.

I don't really understand why it's still sold in Europe?
They said they replaced the two-stroke with a four-stroke because it needed to meet the new Euro emission regulations. So wouldn't that mean it couldn't be sold anywhere in Europe?
But your right, they obviously still sell it somewhere because it's still on their website?

I wouldn't worry about the electrics, new Aprillias and Ducatis are now up there with the best of them. They really stepped their game up with the RSV4 and Panigale.

Old June 16th, 2012, 07:52 AM   #118
sendler
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250, 2011 Honda CBR250R, 07 Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenay67 View Post
I commute on my Ninja, so I regeared to 15/41.

I'm consistently getting 75mpg and I twist the throttle as much as I need to make 'good progress'.
Fuelly account?

Old June 16th, 2012, 07:55 AM   #119
sendler
ninjette.org member

Quote:

The two stroke Aprillia 125 is very expensive to insure because so many of them get crashed due to the peaky power delivery.

Old June 16th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #120
sendler
ninjette.org member

Car vs. Bike. The CBR250R would have been much better than the Yamaha. The cat is huge and I don't know if the Yamaha had an O2 sensor. And most people riding the Honda get around 70 mpgUS. Less gas in, less emissions out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Motorcycle vs Car.jpg (79.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Motorcycle vs Car2.jpg (76.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Motorcycle vs Car3.jpg (76.6 KB, 4 views)