ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 7th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #1
codestp202

Riding with a squid

I figured I would share this little bit with you guys:

My first group ride today, my older cousin that lives right by me rides an older gsxr600 that has been crashed by him like 2-3 times due to drunk driving, wheeling blah blah blah. So I've avoided him like the plague because I knew the chances of my getting killed would go up exponentially with him. So I returned a dvd and he happened to see me going home, he stops and tells me to go riding...NO!!!!!. So I can't refuse and get my gear on, ALL OF IT, every little scrap I could find to put on. I meet up with him, and upon seeing his bike up close, the chain is so loose, paint is missing everywhere, the instrument cluster looks glued on and he has a helmet strapped on the side... but he doesn't wear it.

We go riding, and I know we all speed sometime, weave through traffic ect, but I know when I do that kind of stuff, it's extremely calculated, and I weigh the risk and make sure I'm not going to die. This guy was texting on his phone while riding, doing wheelie's almost right into the backend of peoples cars, and if they would have braked for just one half second, he would be dead. He ran about 4 red lights and focused more on what was going on off the road then on it. Oh and btw, he wears sunglasses, a t shirt, work boots and pants. Better then some squids at least. As I ride behind him checking every intersection and looking to see if people are going to hit me he is oblivious to the world. Now I'm not a pussy, and I don't ride like one, I love spirited riding but on my own time. He was going damn near 20-30 mph over the speed limit at all times. On the freeway he damn near clipped a car going like 120mpg as I have my little ninja at full speed (104 mph which is stated as 107 stated on my speedo because it is 3mph slow) and his damn bike shorted out at an intersection and he had to run on the side of it and jump on it to start it. If you guys can take anything from this, don't be ****ing stupid. Have fun, ride fast, do stupid **** for all that I care but at least pay full undivided attention while you're doing that stupid ****. Motorcycle riding is probably one of my favorite things to do, but I want to be alive at the end of the day. It's sad to say that I will most likely attend this man's funeral at some point from another motorcycle accident.
Tldr- Person is stupid,rides fast, and probably has a little wiener, I'm smart, ride kinda fast, and have a monstrous sized wiener.

Last futzed with by codestp202; June 7th, 2012 at 07:23 PM.

Old June 7th, 2012, 05:01 PM   #2
Stingray1000
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Glad we were dually informed on wiener size....
Stingray1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2012, 05:02 PM   #3
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
You live next to a dead man
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #4
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by codestp202 View Post
I'm smart, ride kinda fast, and have a monstrous sized wiener.
Pics and testimonial plz
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2012, 05:06 PM   #5
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Pics and testimonial plz
I already offered to text you and send sexy pics, you missed out mister!!

Old June 7th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #6
DevinWolfe
Which pedal is the gas?

Name: Devin

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R SE

You need a new friend, but more importantly you need to ride your own ride. If you didn't like riding as fast as he was you could have just slowed down.
DevinWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #7
codestp202

For the most part I was driving much slower, I'm not going to crash/get a speeding ticket for him, and if he judges me for that I could care less.

Old June 7th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
........., I'm not going to crash/get a speeding ticket for him, and if he judges me for that I could care less.

..............he happened to see me going home, he stops and tells me to go riding...NO!!!!!. So I can't refuse......

Teach the poor guy how to properly ride a motorcycle.

I would refuse riding with him explaining that the reason is he does not how to,...........any fool can twist the wrist, be careless and go fast.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
loved the TLDR summary.

Old June 7th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #10
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post

Teach the poor guy how to properly ride a motorcycle.

I would refuse riding with him explaining that the reason is he does not how to,...........any fool can twist the wrist, be careless and go fast.
Okay I kind of contradicted myself, I'm not going to refuse riding with him, but im not going to die for him. You get what I'm saying haha

Old June 7th, 2012, 06:30 PM   #11
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
loved the TLDR summary.
Thank you sir

Old June 7th, 2012, 06:38 PM   #12
Countersteer
<><><><><><><><><>

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): <2008 250R> Past Bikes:06 GSXR600 89 CBR1000 78 Hawk 400 86 Ninja 600R 86 & 87 FZ600 81 GPZ550 71 CB360T

Can I be real blunt here?

You're both stupid.

To say speed kills is akin to saying guns kill, neither of which is true.
Countersteer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #13
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countersteer View Post
Can I be real blunt here?

You're both stupid.
I may have not worded it right and made myself look a little stupid but I don't believe stupid would be the correct word for me. I figured I would get a few people who pick apart everything a person says and uses it to make them stupid when I was advocating safety.

Old June 7th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #14
Countersteer
<><><><><><><><><>

Motorcycle(s): <2008 250R> Past Bikes:06 GSXR600 89 CBR1000 78 Hawk 400 86 Ninja 600R 86 & 87 FZ600 81 GPZ550 71 CB360T

Look man, I don't know you, but if some fool like that injured or killed my wife or daughter, I would hunt them down. You don't want to be associated with such idiocy...unless that is who you really are. Think about it.

Old June 7th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #15
codestp202

I'm not that type of idiocy and I'm never going to ride with him again hah. I figured I'd get this one ride over with and never do it again. Trust me. If I was really like him do you think I'd made a thread talking about how dumb he is and how people shouldnt be like him?

edit: Also, I revised my original post as I wrote it right after the ride and I was a little heated up. It wasn't 20-50 mph over and it shouldn't have said WE were, because he was and I wasnt. It was more like 20-30 mph over the speed limit. Also, I feel like whenever I post something, I am forced to have to prove myself about something, I shouldn't have to if i'm saying it in my first post.

Old June 7th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #16
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
No Cody, I didn't mean to make you look wrong or bad; please excuse me.

I guess what I did try to say is that we do best leading by example, rather than feeling that we have to join the lack of common sense.

Unfortunately, many young rides (yes, I am old) have not had anybody that teach them how to ride properly and, being young, they feel invincible while riding a bike.

However, these machines can kill us in a split second, unless we know how and are in full and permanent control of them.

Your cousin is in that position, he is just plain ignorant and has not been in a serious accident before.

Letting him be that way or avoiding riding with him is not the best that anybody can do for him.

Riding with him and leading the ride, I would teach him (and challenge him to learn) that there are better skills to be learned than what he does.

As long as you follow the speed that he imposes you are both riding together.
If you just keep your speed, he will slowdown if he wants to ride with someone.

Again, please don't feel bad; it is just that I have seen way too many young guys like your cousin get hurt or die during the years that I have been riding.

Best!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2012, 08:12 PM   #17
codestp202

Unfortunately, he's a bit of a hillbilly and hes about 7 more years older then me, the chances of him listening to me are slim to none. And honestly, I don't know if I know him well enough to even be comfortable to say something to him (I just recently got to know him over the last year)

And thank you motofool, you have many valid points. I wish people had fathers like mine that showed me the right way to do things.

Old June 7th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #18
Compooky
ninjette.org member

Name: Garry

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ninja 250r, 2013 gsxr 600

Texting while riding takes skill! I can't even text while walking without difficulty...
Compooky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2012, 06:05 AM   #19
Numbersix
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Honda Elite 110 (deceased), Green 2012 Ninja 250 (sold on Pi day); Grey/Green 2019 Ninja 400 ABS

I'm going to be blunt here: man up.

Quote:
So I've avoided him like the plague because I knew the chances of my getting killed would go up exponentially with him. So I returned a dvd and he happened to see me going home, he stops and tells me to go riding...NO!!!!!. So I can't refuse
Yes, you can. You can say "yes" or "no" to anything in life; just know what the results will be. In this case, all your other relatives who are probably terrified you'll grow up just like Squiddy might hold a party in your honor for saying "no," but you'll first have to endure taunting from Squiddie. You can choose whether you care what a drunk rider with a trashed up bike thinks about your riding. "Yes" might mean you get the privilege of explaining to his family exactly how he bought it when you two went riding together.

Quote:
On the freeway he damn near clipped a car going like 120mpg as I have my little ninja at full speed (104 mph which is stated as 107 stated on my speedo because it is 3mph slow)
You want praise because you only blew the speed limit by 30+ instead of 50+? Oh, by the way, quite a lot of the time a driver, startled by the squid rider, will then think it's safe (or my own thought when passed by a triple-digit driver/rider, "oh cool he'll get the ticket, I can now speed up") and *not see you* and do his own maneuver, blocking the following rider inadvertently. Squiddie is putting you right in the path of harm.

Quote:
Now I'm not a pussy, and I don't ride like one
That day you were, by letting Squiddie dictate whether you were going to ride and how fast you were going to ride -- although from the rest of the post I'll assume you *normally* aren't.

Definitely kudos for ATG and not letting the peer pressure goad you into wheelies or other stupidity. Other riders have already given you the right advice; if you do want to ride with Squiddie again, ride your own sane ride and let him decide if he then wants to wheelie off alone or continue to ride with you.
Numbersix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2012, 06:22 AM   #20
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
I'm going to be blunt here: man up.

Yes, you can. You can say "yes" or "no" to anything in life; just know what the results will be. In this case, all your other relatives who are probably terrified you'll grow up just like Squiddy might hold a party in your honor for saying "no," but you'll first have to endure taunting from Squiddie. You can choose whether you care what a drunk rider with a trashed up bike thinks about your riding. "Yes" might mean you get the privilege of explaining to his family exactly how he bought it when you two went riding together.

You want praise because you only blew the speed limit by 30+ instead of 50+? Oh, by the way, quite a lot of the time a driver, startled by the squid rider, will then think it's safe (or my own thought when passed by a triple-digit driver/rider, "oh cool he'll get the ticket, I can now speed up") and *not see you* and do his own maneuver, blocking the following rider inadvertently. Squiddie is putting you right in the path of harm.
That day you were, by letting Squiddie dictate whether you were going to ride and how fast you were going to ride -- although from the rest of the post I'll assume you *normally* aren't.

Definitely kudos for ATG and not letting the peer pressure goad you into wheelies or other stupidity. Other riders have already given you the right advice; if you do want to ride with Squiddie again, ride your own sane ride and let him decide if he then wants to wheelie off alone or continue to ride with you.
I totally understand where youre coming from. I know where everyone is coming from. Amd trust me, none of my family thinksim going to grow up like him, im already an adult and i just met this guy last year, i barely know the guy. Ive learned my lesson from riding with him one time people. No more ridicule is required, i meant this thread to be way less serious then most are making it out to be, hence thr tldr i put. Its just the interwebz!!!

Old June 8th, 2012, 06:45 AM   #21
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

Youre letting people rip you up. I regularly ride 10-20 MPH over the speed limit. I do it to stay a little faster than the speed of traffic. If thats squidly than I guess Im also a total squid...

who cares what people think here or youre dumb cousin. Have fun, be safe, stay alive.
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2012, 06:54 AM   #22
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

I had one time run into a couple riders just like this. Initially when we met up they seemed like nice guys, but once we touch an inch of pavement, they all went full throttle. Weaving through traffic, wheelies, etc. were a few things I didn't want to partake in. No way was I going to sacrifice my safety and the safety of others to "have fun". So, rather than trying to keep up, I pulled off on the next exit ramp and went for my own ride. One of my other friends realized what I was doing, and happily joined me at the safer speed.

@codestp202 I'm not going to blabber about what you did and all that, but you had a choice. You either follow him or you don't, so what if he is a relative, would you endanger your life to "keep up" with him? I would have pulled back and do my own ride.

Just think before you act next time, I was in your shoes once and I'm not doing that ever again.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2012, 07:18 AM   #23
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

You could and should have said no to your squidly cousin.
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2012, 03:14 PM   #24
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 2007 GSXR 600

Now you know next time to avoid him, but you're still kind of in the wrong for trying to keep up. You should've just done your own thing and he would've gotten the hint but you're an adult so no need to really tell you right from wrong. But if you're doing a group ride let people know your intentions (cruise, speed around town, act like a d-bag, etc.) and if they don't like it or end up acting like your cousin then do your own thing. I'm not one to rip around going 10+ above everywhere, I just like to cruise nice roads, so before I plan a route with someone I let them know I'm probably not going to go more than ~5 over (especially if it's a new area) and just want to cruise. If they don't want to ride that way that's fine, you're still able to go out and enjoy a nice ride by yourself.
nautica is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #25
Kristofferzero
ninjette.org member

Name: Kristoffer

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (sold)

People who squid like that are just another form of entertainment for me. I love driving/riding down the street checking out all the squids and how they can go so fast from light to light. They can even rev their engines reeeeally high like. Skill.
Kristofferzero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #26
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Quote:
This guy was texting on his phone while riding, .
Not gonna lie, that's pretty impressive

Old June 9th, 2012, 01:58 AM   #27
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
@codestp202: good post. That guy is a

Not sure why so many peeps in here are so opposed to braking the speed limit. If the road looks safe to ride fast then so what if you go over? In areas with lots of kids (near schools / playgrounds etc) around I often ride below the limit. In areas with no junctions leading onto the road I'll go as much as 60 in a 30. I choose my speed (faster or slower than the posted limit) based on the situation. I don't feel like that makes me a squid (or a lemming ).
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2012, 03:32 AM   #28
nautica
Gixxer Powered

I don't just because there always seems to be a cop around and my luck is I'd get a ticket, and the thrill of speeding enough to get a ticket isn't worth it to me.

Old June 9th, 2012, 08:07 AM   #29
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
@codestp202: good post. That guy is a

Not sure why so many peeps in here are so opposed to braking the speed limit. If the road looks safe to ride fast then so what if you go over? In areas with lots of kids (near schools / playgrounds etc) around I often ride below the limit. In areas with no junctions leading onto the road I'll go as much as 60 in a 30. I choose my speed (faster or slower than the posted limit) based on the situation. I don't feel like that makes me a squid (or a lemming ).
I'm glad some people don't have a stick so far up there ass that they enjoy it now.

Old June 9th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #30
Numbersix
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Honda Elite 110 (deceased), Green 2012 Ninja 250 (sold on Pi day); Grey/Green 2019 Ninja 400 ABS

Quote:
OK; but 30+ over typically crosses the line from civil infraction to an actual misdemeanor (over here). I have no qualms about picking a proper speed, but just like riding with a squiddie, you take your choices and your consequences.

Code: Sorry, my previous post was a bit over the top; I meant it more as something to keep in mind for next time ('cause this guy *will* keep at you).
Numbersix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2012, 08:05 AM   #31
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
OK; but 30+ over typically crosses the line from civil infraction to an actual misdemeanor (over here). I have no qualms about picking a proper speed, but just like riding with a squiddie, you take your choices and your consequences.

Code: Sorry, my previous post was a bit over the top; I meant it more as something to keep in mind for next time ('cause this guy *will* keep at you).
Yeah, he will keep at me because he's already called me again to ride haha...

Old June 10th, 2012, 08:19 AM   #32
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:

Just because a sign on a pole says it's the speed they want you to go doesn't mean it's the right speed for any given condition.

Pick your speed based on conditions around you,

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautica View Post
Now you know next time to avoid him, but you're still kind of in the wrong for trying to keep up. You should've just done your own thing and he would've gotten the hint but you're an adult so no need to really tell you right from wrong. But if you're doing a group ride let people know your intentions (cruise, speed around town, act like a d-bag, etc.) and if they don't like it or end up acting like your cousin then do your own thing. I'm not one to rip around going 10+ above everywhere, I just like to cruise nice roads, so before I plan a route with someone I let them know I'm probably not going to go more than ~5 over (especially if it's a new area) and just want to cruise. If they don't want to ride that way that's fine, you're still able to go out and enjoy a nice ride by yourself.
Well aren't you a rebel, you'll do 5 over but not 10 & judge others for 'speeding'

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter View Post
psh I do that while sleeping, speed limits are really only suggestions when there are no cops around right? Weaving in and out of traffic just makes it fun, who can fault someone for wanting to have a little fun in their life?
Yes

How recently were the speed limits set, how much have vehicle's capabilities improved since then? How much more agile are bikes compared to cars? lets face it speed limits are set with cars in mind, bikes can generally accelerate faster, brake harder & get through smaller gaps if needs be.

Is your head on a swivel while on the bike? Mine is. The speed limit's are very low on my level of priorities when I pick my speed (outside town)

Don't speed through towns or in residential areas, but other than that let conditions dictate speed.

This forum can be as judgmental as a pack of grannys in a sewing circle on some subjects
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2012, 08:27 AM   #33
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
^ @Whiskey: it seems are minds are very alike on many things... except ebikes! One of us is going to have to budge in order to create a perfect hive mind.

* begins work on a subliminal ebike propaganda campaign targeted at Irish folk *

Maybe I can get some tips from the EU. They're pretty good at throwing together propaganda aimed at making the Irish choose the "correct" choice
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2012, 08:52 AM   #34
Whiskey

Quote:
^ @Whiskey: it seems are minds are very alike on many things... except ebikes! One of us is going to have to budge in order to create a perfect hive mind.

* begins work on a subliminal ebike propaganda campaign targeted at Irish folk *

Maybe I can get some tips from the EU. They're pretty good at throwing together propaganda aimed at making the Irish choose the "correct" choice
Nothing too wrong with them, they have a purpose just like mopeds, but they need further development as useable machines before I'll go near one.

The massive torque is a bonus, but weight & charge times will have to come down, with range going up. Give it a few years & they may have it right.

They have help from the collaborators & traitors in the puppet government who blackmail everyone else.

Old June 10th, 2012, 09:48 AM   #35
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post

This forum can be as judgmental as a pack of grannys in a sewing circle on some subjects
I've never heard someone describe the way this forum reacts sometimes so perfectly.

Old June 10th, 2012, 04:12 PM   #36
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Good story bro, there are too many squid rants tho.

Old June 10th, 2012, 04:50 PM   #37
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
Well aren't you a rebel, you'll do 5 over but not 10 & judge others for 'speeding'
Rebel, huh? You must be pretty ignorant because according to your statement I guess anyone who cruises around the speed limit must be a real rebel (which doesn't make sense). And where did I judge anyone because they speed? I could care less what others do, I simply stated how I ride and you somehow interpreted that into judging others. Don't like how I ride then don't ride with me, won't hurt my feelings at all. And the guys you see flying down the highway through cars are the ones giving bikers a bad name in general, because the general public probably also assumes you do wheelies and other s**t as well. If you're on a long empty road that you know doesn't have any intersections or people on it then open it up a little, but the highway or around other cars isn't the place to do it. Just my opinion, say what you will..

Old June 10th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #38
Countersteer
<><><><><><><><><>

Quote:
I've never heard someone describe the way this forum reacts sometimes so perfectly.
Grammar, grammar!

Old June 10th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #39
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countersteer View Post
Grammar, grammar!
lol get over it

Old June 11th, 2012, 10:53 AM   #40
Whiskey

Quote:
Now you know next time to avoid him, but you're still kind of in the wrong for trying to keep up. You should've just done your own thing and he would've gotten the hint but you're an adult so no need to really tell you right from wrong. But if you're doing a group ride let people know your intentions (cruise, speed around town like a d-bag, etc.) and if they don't like it or end up acting like your cousin then do your own thing. I'm not one to rip around going 10+ above everywhere, I just like to cruise nice roads, so before I plan a route with someone I let them know I'm probably not going to go more than ~5 over (especially if it's a new area) and just want to cruise. If they don't want to ride that way that's fine, you're still able to go out and enjoy a nice ride by yourself.
You contradict yourself there, telling someone they're in the wrong for speeding, saying that you don't speed except by about 5 mph & calling people d-bags for riding fast.

Quote:
Rebel, huh? You must be pretty ignorant because according to your statement I guess anyone who cruises around the speed limit must be a real rebel (which doesn't make sense). And where did I judge anyone because they speed? I could care less what others do, I simply stated how I ride and you somehow interpreted that into judging others. Don't like how I ride then don't ride with me, won't hurt my feelings at all. And the guys you see flying down the highway through cars are the ones giving bikers a bad name in general, because the general public probably also assumes you do wheelies and other s**t as well. If you're on a long empty road that you know doesn't have any intersections or people on it then open it up a little, but the highway or around other cars isn't the place to do it. Just my opinion, say what you will..
I generally fly down the motorway (highway) at a reasonable pace of 85-90 in the fast lane (70 limit), cars generally pull out of my way, and filtering (lane splitting) is legal here so nobody has a problem with it.

I may have been too subtle for you earlier so THIS LINK should explain everything