NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Team Lyle Rachel Days Insanity Rally - 5/16/2015

Yippee! The website just went live!

http://www.teamlyle-alamoexpress.com/2015/

This is an organized ride that gives participants a chance to ride all over the back country of Nevada in the quest of a BunBurnerGold or better ride. That means at least 1,500 miles in 24 hours or less.

Last year, I ate poorly during the ride and so found myself exhausted towards the end. I canceled my attempt in the name of safety, gave up the final leg, and crawled slowly back to the start with 1,450 miles in 23.5 hours.

I know I can do it! I've learned a lot since last May, improved my riding comfort, upgraded my gear, and built up a better understanding of my my body needs in order to function better over a long ride.

I will earn this BBG! Who wants to come play?

@chrly, @Alex, @Beedub, @Gregg_VA, @wardie, @Old Guy on a '08, y'all wanna come out?
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.

Last futzed with by NevadaWolf; January 11th, 2015 at 06:52 PM.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old January 11th, 2015, 02:05 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Sounds like fun, but I probably won't be able to make it this year. Getting permission for the IBR only two months after that is already tenuous.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2015, 04:14 PM   #3
chrly
ninjette.org member

Name: Charley

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Kawasaki EX300 , 1999 Kawasaki ZRX1200.

Sounds like fun Teri!!.. will take a hard look, but chances are better than not

Old February 24th, 2015, 02:10 PM   #4
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Three months to go!

Got heated socks, better wind protection on my fingers, better wind screen, bigger tank bag, and swapping to a 42 tooth sprocket in the back. Plus this time I will be taking spare gas with me.

I know I can, I know I can, I know I can.

Old April 6th, 2015, 01:34 PM   #5
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Just over a month away and since @wardie said bump this about six weeks out, here's the bump.

My first training ride revealed a busted power cord on the heated jacket. Got a replacement Sena after the battery tanked. New phone and protective case are going to be installed soon.

Second training ride will be sometime this month after I get my chain and sprocket fixed up. I'm getting psyched!

Old May 18th, 2015, 11:27 AM   #6
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
@Alex, would you move to Ride Reports, please?

I have spent the prior two weeks stressing over my bike being stuck in a shop that seems to have lost the concept of talking to their customer. So finally got my bike back on Wednesday and spent both Weds and Thurs night fixing things and doing a shake down before leaving on the trip. Work done: Speed meter replaced, shift shaft replaced, Gerbing plug repaired, valves adjusted, new tire installed.

Friday, left Fallon at 8:30a and headed south towards my first gas stop in Tonopah. The weather was cool, a rain storm had moved in to the region and was keeping the temperature low and the humidity higher than normal. I rode through the empty desert along Hwy 95, skirted the edge of Walker Lake, and grabbed breakfast in Hawthorne. The first leg went smoothly, I've learned how to squeeze out the range needed for the distances between gas stops around here (163 is the furthest without gas or a town at all).

Second leg took me down to Alamo along the ET Highway. The storms were gathering strength and moving in, so I kept moving to cut a line between them. Later riders reported being hit by the resulting hail storm coming down from the pass out of Tonopah and Warm Springs. Met up with many of my new LD friends and had a grand time hanging out, especially when my buddy and mentor showed up! We ended out the night by having dinner, some last minute work on the bikes, and then chilling out and chatting as riders drifted off to bed.

Saturday morning I woke up early, but was really feeling drained and so got moving long after I had intended. 6:16am was when I was finally on the road hoping the rising sun would burn off the cobwebs and allow me to get moving at a more normal pace. Typically, I ride around 70 MPH (from 68-73 mph) that allows me to make 175 miles per tank. Watching the sun rise over the desert is amazing, but seeing it highlight the sheer walls of the sandstone canyon outside Caliente with the green fields surrounding the picturesque old town still waking up was really cool. Plus an off road race was setting up so dirt bikes, quads, and trucks were off playing in the dirt as I passed by. I left the remote canyon lands of Cathedral Gorge State Park and dove into the squat juniper forests that lie north of Panaca and Pioche as I continued my way to Baker and the Great Basin National Park.

Grabbed gas and noted I was a few minutes ahead of time so feeling upbeat over my pace and thinking I could somewhat make a good show of this ride. I began heading west, passing by another rider heading in the opposite direction (who later reported he was having issues and had turned around), and made my way off to Eureka. It was now mid morning and traffic was picking up as I came into Ely and the beginning of the Silver State Classic Challenge (a road race that would be happening Sunday). I headed up into the mountains and began the up and down ride of crossing Nevada's basin and range landscape - up then down the mountains on a twisty road, then straight across the valley on a long flat stretch, then repeat. Reaching the historic town of Eureka, I admired the old red brick buildings as I gassed up, and continued on.

I began noticing that the drained feeling wasn't really going away, I wasn't able to get warm, and an edge of fatigue was creeping in. By the time I reached Austin, I was more than convinced I should just stop and head back. Safety first is always the goal, no ride is worth anything less. Pushed on a little bit more and less than an hour later I was at Cold Springs and just wanted to stop. Gave up, called in my decision, and used my local knowledge to take a short cut back to Alamo. Another rider, who had already finished his own much shorter ride, agreed to meet me half way and provide moral support and company for a safe ride back. Upon reaching Alamo, I found I wasn't the only one who had decided the conditions today weren't in their favor so there was quite a few folks lounging around and watching the Spot trackers of the 10 riders still out. Saturday ended with a small group dinner and a social hour around a large bonfire, telling tales and lies.

Sunday found everyone back in Alamo safe and sound with a few reaching their weekend goals. Breakfast was as usual delicious and fun as folks told their own adventures from the previous 24 hours. I would have loved to stay, but a six hour ride home for work in the morning had me wishing everyone a safe ride home as I took my leave. Luckily, the weather had mostly cleared, so sun and cool temps kept me company all the way to Tonopah, including the epic sweeping S turn coming down the pass into the valley outside Rachel. But I caught up with the rain and cold less than 150 miles from home, so I gritted my teeth, turned the heat up, and chugged along.

Certainly not the weekend I was expecting, but it turned out to be the weekend I needed. Had a lot of fun hanging out, listening to stories, and watching this amazing group of riders step up to do anything for each other. I am lucky to have found this group and very very happy to be part of it.

Total: 1,442 miles (Friday 336, Saturday 770, Sunday 336).

Weekend silliness:

The ACME rocket fuel tank

My new cute socks!

(I had just put on my boots thinking of just hanging out in the parking lot, but when a few walked to the nearby station, I went with them. the boots wore a blister into both of my ankles. Mario refused to let me walk back barefoot so enlisted the help of the clerk to track down some socks for me. He is an amazingly awesome guy!)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 18th, 2015, 04:06 PM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote