ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old January 25th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #1
Brad Turner
ninjette.org member

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): none

Advice Needed About Getting Back Into Riding.

Its been a long time since I posted here. Im looking for some advice and I fiqured this would be the best place for me to ask.

Ever since the 300s came out Ive been kicking around the idea of getting one.
Heres my background; Ive owned 2 250s and a SV650. I havent ridden in over two years. Im a little older (38) and Im on the fence about getting back on a bike.

Heres why; A few of the younger guys I work with all ride. They are always asking me when am I gonna get another bike. Id like to start riding again but I have some doubts. I know my limits, Im not stupid. I was always a safe rider. I took both the MSF BRC and ERC and Im licensed.

Why I stopped riding; It seems that every time I think about getting another bike a rider in my area goes down for good. I stopped riding for this reason. But I still have the passion for getting back on a bike.

So, two questions Id like to throw out there. Please be as honest as possible. Im a big boy and I wont get my feelings hurt if you post something negative.

1, Am I too old to start up again? (Im 38)
2, Is it normal to be "hesitant" about riding again?

Thanks for your time, Please be honest.
Brad Turner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2013, 05:57 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

1. No
2. Yes

For most of us, this is a fun leisure activity. There's risk involved. If dealing with that risk is making it not pleasurable enough to pursue, there's no requirement to get a motorcycle. But if you can't keep yourself off of one as you enjoy them, then all you can do is work to manage and understand that risk. Training, experience, gear, and a little bit of luck go a long way. None of that can round the risk right down to zero (as my back and neck are telling me right now), but they can get to a point where motorcyclists are OK with it. Good luck whatever direction you go. I love our new 300.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 25th, 2013, 06:02 PM   #3
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
1. No
2. Yes
Just what I was going to say. My pops is trying to get back into at the age of 64, and he hasn't been on a bike in more than 25 years. I think you'll dig the 300. I'm a big fan myself.

Good luck.
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2013, 06:02 PM   #4
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Get back on something, a mid power 600/650 should keep you entertained & be quick enough for ya.

Idiots on supersports/superbikes will do themselves a mischief, it's a fact of life, that doesn't mean that bikes are dangerous to everyone.

Keep your eyes open & you should be ok.

Leave it any longer & you'll need a Hardley with the full set of tassels & matching leather waistcoat & chaps...
That's a fate I wouldn't wish on anyone...
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
it is a personal decision. if riding a bike brings you joy, why not ride a bike? too old? i've seen guys in their 80s RACING bikes... i think you'll be fine casually riding.

not sure i can answer your second question about hesitation with regard to starting again... i haven't really stopped so i wouldn't know.

as far as deaths go... yes, people die riding bikes. people also die driving cars. they die walking down the street because a car hits them. they die riding their bike because a truck driver isnt paying attention. they die because someone fell asleep at the wheel, ran a red light, and they weren't paying attention and so they got hit by a truck. they die falling down the stairs because they weren't paying attention. they die being attacked by bears because they thought the little bear cub was so cute playing with the little pinecones on its own. they die because they make stupid decisions that lead to stupid reprocussions. i know people who have ridden 2 wheels for hundreds of thousands of miles with no incident and i know people who crash their motorcycle every month on a regular basis.

my point is, its not the motorcycle that does the killing. its the poor judgement and decisions the sack of meat on top makes that does the killing.

Old January 25th, 2013, 06:16 PM   #6
beazy411
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

I just learned how to ride and I'm 26. You already know how to ride, but haven't done it in awhile so it's natural to be hesitant. At least now you know your limits and understand that you'll be rusty for a bit.

1. You're never "too old" to ride as long as your body will let you.
2. Like I said, it's something you haven't done in a bit so just take it easy for a bit.
beazy411 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #7
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
1. NO I started riding motorcycles when I was 48
2. YES I am scared every time I head out the door to go for a hide, which goes away as soon as I settle into the saddle. Also my blood pressure dropped 20 points
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #8
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Turner View Post
Its been a long time since I posted here. Im looking for some advice and I fiqured this would be the best place for me to ask.

Ever since the 300s came out Ive been kicking around the idea of getting one.
Heres my background; Ive owned 2 250s and a SV650. I havent ridden in over two years. Im a little older (38) and Im on the fence about getting back on a bike.

Heres why; A few of the younger guys I work with all ride. They are always asking me when am I gonna get another bike. Id like to start riding again but I have some doubts. I know my limits, Im not stupid. I was always a safe rider. I took both the MSF BRC and ERC and Im licensed.

Why I stopped riding; It seems that every time I think about getting another bike a rider in my area goes down for good. I stopped riding for this reason. But I still have the passion for getting back on a bike.

So, two questions Id like to throw out there. Please be as honest as possible. Im a big boy and I wont get my feelings hurt if you post something negative.

1, Am I too old to start up again? (Im 38)

Thanks for your time, Please be honest.
38 is not too old, I got back into riding at that same age. Best decision of my life. As far as riders going down stopping you that is up to you. 5 months ago I had a pretty nasty crash on the street. I destroyed my collar bone and was laid up for 4 months. I got on the bike again as soon as I could and still commute daily. I was an idiot but I learned from it. Learn from the guys that went down as a reminder to keep it safe, dont let it scare or keep you off a bike if its in your blood.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2013, 09:57 PM   #9
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Name: Melashi

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 StreetFighter ~~~~ 2005 KTM 450 EXC

One thing i would definitely say is "get that mental barrier out of your head"- Words from my wise physical therapist when i tore my hamstring playing soccer (not riding a motorcycle!).

There's nothing about enjoying the thrill and ride when you have something whispering to you saying that you will die on a bike. Get that completely out of your mind, and im sure you'd prefer your bike over the cage any day.

And NO, your never too old. THAT QUESTION SHOULDN'T EVEN BE ASKED.

ROAR

Old January 25th, 2013, 10:39 PM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Hold up.... there is a great video that is very fitting for this thread. Lemme dig it up.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

I am 38 too and I am sure these guys would call us pups.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old February 4th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #12
Brad Turner
ninjette.org member

Thanks for everyones comments. I spent the last two weekends looking at bikes for sale. I was deciding between a new Ninja 300, a used SV650, and a used 09 GSXR 600. I like the 300 for its ergonomics, the SV is a good all around bike, and the GSXR because I always wanted one. However, Im still hesitant about getting back on a bike. I think Ill take a little more time to decide what I want to do.

Old February 4th, 2013, 07:40 PM   #13
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I'm turning 54 next week.

I got back into riding after several years away when I was 50.

You're not too old. You're wiser than you were. You're smarter (not the same thing). You're more cautious.

What younger people have is more stamina and faster reflexes. The fact that you're older and wiser definitely trumps that. You're less likely to get carried away and do something stupid.

Careful, smart, cautious riders do get killed. So do careful, cautious drivers. Everything is risky. Smart people manage the risk and accept it.

Nothing wrong with hesitation. Just look objectively at the risks confronting you and make an informed decision based on fact, not irrational fear. Look into those local accidents and ask yourself… were all those riders acting responsibly? ATGATT? Riding properly or riding like a$$hats? Sober?

You have the power to GREATLY reduce the risks of riding simply by acting intelligently.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old February 5th, 2013, 05:45 AM   #14
wardie
ninjette.org guru

Name: Larry

Motorcycle(s): 06 KLR 650,12 250 Ninja, 86 DR 125, 07 CRF 100, 09 Tomos Streetmate LEL Record Holder, 88 K100 RT

geez 38 ain't old

I'll turn 62 in April. I still do 1,000 mile IBA rides and still road race although I'm no longer in the top anything but I just go do it.

It is understandable the feelings you have after seeing people go down or possible losing a friend. It happens, it's part of the risk when riding a motorcycle.

The great thing is you have invested in yourself with the riding courses. You will wear all the gear, all the time which along with the safety course helps minimize risks.

All I can tell you is to get back in the saddle and start riding. Time will certainly be a friend and it will tell you that it has passed and you're enjoying riding or it will tell you time has passed and this isn't a good thing for you to do anymore. Wishing you the safest return. Wardie

Old February 5th, 2013, 06:49 AM   #15
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
.......I think Ill take a little more time to decide what I want to do.
That will make your decision less real, since you will be making it from the "safe" side of the fence.

I would buy a bike (unless it is a financial sacrifice on your family or yourself), ride for a while (they will not kill you in a few weeks, you are "old" and smarter than those cagers), and then take the final decision (you can always resell the bike and gear).

I ride everyday, and every morning I take half a minute to understand that that could be my last ride,........and still jump in the saddle being perfectly conscious that it very well could be............I am happy and perfectly at peace with that possibility........I am 63 and feel that already lived my life........Riding has been an important part of that life since my 12 birthday........Yes, my family still needs me, but it prefers a happy person over a frustrated one.......I prefer die living than living feeling dead.

"Life is beautiful danger." - Facundo Cabral

You own the best decision to yourself.

Best !
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 06:58 AM   #16
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

an idea... look into a track day with a local club. Some of the ones around here rent ALL gear, including bikes, for minimal cost. For a full day, with full rental, it was something around $500, including insurance in case you wrecked their rental bike.

it gets you back out on a bike in a controlled environment, with little financial impact.

after that day, you'll know if you're ready to get back on the road.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 07:37 AM   #17
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): BLACK!!! '08 250R

Brad,

All the answers above apply. My take on it. (and this is probably the wrong place to ask these questions)

Quote:
1, Am I too old to start up again? (I'm 38)
1. No

I'm 62 (and a half ). I got "back on a bike" four years ago after being off them for close to 35 years. Forgot how much I enjoyed it. Started with a Rebel 250 and got a NewGen after my son bought one and I saw how much more fun it was (and more controllable IMO) then the Rebel. Do you feel like your reflexes are still pretty good? Is your mind still sharp? Are you still fairly mobile and flexible?

2. Probably

Like @alex.s says people die doing all kinds of things but normally it's mostly from being "Stupid". I wasn't very hesitant to get back on a bike after 35 years but I've been a "risk taker" most of my life. I've flown aerobatics, "free climbed" some technical rock climbing routes, done long distance back packing, solo hike into the wilderness frequently, solo canoe , I solo sailed a Hobie 16 out of site of land.... so you get the idea. A lot of people would say I am a "risk taker" but I prefer to say that I enjoy the doing things that take me to the edge of what I know I'm capable of. I guess the other side of the coin is "Do you have a death wish?". No but "I'm not afraid to die". I've survived by "not being stupid" and using what I call "UNcommon sense". (Common sense died along time ago) I've stopped rock climbing because I'm not as strong or flexible as I once was. Same with sailing a Hobie. (I still sail tough).

As to the choice of ride, go with the smallest bike you feel comfortable on. The 300 has lots of power, is "tossable", has great MPG, and a dozen other reasons to get it. I'm going to ride my NewGen around 2500-3000 miles this summer on a trip to Americade and then up through Canada and the Northern MI and back down to Charlotte.

Take your time making up your mind. Whatever decision you make will be the "Right One".
Old Guy on a '08 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old February 5th, 2013, 08:12 AM   #18
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
As a 20 year old college kid, I don't really have much life experience to help your decision, but I say definitely get back into riding.

One of the things I love about riding is that I can chat with guys who are double or triple my age. I love hearing people's stories about how they got into riding, or their first race, or even just getting caught in a storm at an unfortunate time. I like checking out their bike and showing off my own.

Without riding, I would never feel comfortable making a cold approach on someone and chatting about their bike. If you have the opportunity to get another bike and be able to do that again, do it. You're obviously familiar with the 250's and like the looks of the 300; I say go for it!
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 08:18 AM   #19
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Turned 39 recently. For my bday present, I just wanna go faster.

Old February 5th, 2013, 08:58 AM   #20
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Sounds like you are more ready to ride than 99 % of people that start . Good luck.

Old February 5th, 2013, 07:16 PM   #21
rickthefix
Crashing sux

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 07 EX250, 04 ZX6R, 96 Vulcan EN500, 79 XS650-SF, 80 TS185

I teach the MSF Basic Rider Course, never too late to start. We have 70 year olds and once a 78 yr old lady that passed the course.
I'm 55 & been riding since I was 10. As long as I can get on one, I'll be riding.
If you have issues with being in an accident, then do track riding. Everyone going the same direction and more forgiving if you go down. There are varying levels for beginners up.
rickthefix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #22
rickthefix
Crashing sux

But, if you do decide to ride street again, DEF take the safety course. Everyone that rides and not taken it can learn something, or at least help correct some bad habits & hone the skills they already have!

Old February 5th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #23
rickthefix
Crashing sux

One more thing, you can take the BRC and the cost of the course is well worth helping you make up your mind. Lots cheaper than buying a bike & then deciding you don't really want to ride again........

Old February 5th, 2013, 07:34 PM   #24
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
The older I get the faster I was!

You're never to old for anything.

Ride your own speed (even if it's faster than everyone else).

What were your questions again?

Old February 5th, 2013, 09:27 PM   #25
Brad Turner
ninjette.org member

I just want to thank everyone for your words of advice. I think the best thing for me is to not get back on a bike. For me, the negatives outweigh the positives. If anything changes, you guys will be the first to know.

Ride safe.

Brad Turner

Old February 6th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #26
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): BLACK!!! '08 250R

Looks like you've given it due thought. Stay in touch...
Old Guy on a '08 is offline   Reply With Quote