ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 10th, 2013, 07:14 PM   #1
alanmv567
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Sold to jerrytheclown!) 2006 Yamaha FZ6

Advice for neck and back problems?

Hey guys just thought I get some input from everyone here. Just started riding my ninja 250r about a month ago. I commute a lot with it on the freeway to work, 30 miles to it and 30 miles back. I would say most of the time I will lean forward as to not get dragged by the air if i sit straight up. My problem now and hopefully with some stretching and exercising is that I will wake up with my neck sore that it is pretty hard to look up and down in the morning. I'll try to to a little stretching to help it more. Once I start riding my neck improves and for the rest of the day it actually improves but looking down will still bring some pain. Also working out more when doing pull ups it seems my lower back will hurt a little, this also started after I started riding my bike. One of my coworkers says that my neck muscle need to get used to the helmet and my posture as well when riding the bike. Anyways thought I see what you guys may offer or advice, I may hit up a spa and message parlor one of these days, I need one haha.
alanmv567 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I think you're on the right track. Just using the muscles in a different way can cause pain and discomfort, and in some cases your body just gets used to it over time. Is your helmet comfortable? Snug enough to not move at all, yet compliant enough to not cause headaches or twisting your neck in any way?

Ibuprofen is never a bad idea, either. It's basically a morning vitamin for many riders I know as they get a little bit older. You do want to avoid aspirin when you are riding though, as its blood thinning properties might make the consequences of any crash more serious than they might be otherwise.

My neck and back are still killing me from my get-off 5 weeks ago, so I have a feeling it's going to be a long road back for me. We don't bounce as well as we age.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Check this:

http://www.innova-pain.com/2012/03/0...iding-posture/

Try keeping your head as close back to your neck and your upper and lower back as straight as possible.

In our riding position, our spine acts as a column and our back and neck muscles as a tensioner.
The distance between both is very little; hence, any load too far ahead has much leverage working against the muscles.
Think of it as a Sig-saw.

http://www.spine-health.com/conditio...uses-neck-pain

http://fixtheneck.com/wordpress/wp-c...kextensors.jpg

http://www.sciencelearn.org.nz/var/s...e_portrait.jpg

Sometimes a little correction to our posture goes a long way relieving muscle overload.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #4
alanmv567
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Sold to jerrytheclown!) 2006 Yamaha FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Check this:

http://www.innova-pain.com/2012/03/0...iding-posture/

Try keeping your head as close back to your neck and your upper and lower back as straight as possible.
Haha thanks I was actually on that site about an hour ago, I'll try to do the proper lean of the second picture more often. I usually have a backpack as well so my body needs to get used to it and i need to lean it forward properly.

Old February 10th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #5
alanmv567
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I think you're on the right track. Just using the muscles in a different way can cause pain and discomfort, and in some cases your body just gets used to it over time. Is your helmet comfortable? Snug enough to not move at all, yet compliant enough to not cause headaches or twisting your neck in any way?

Ibuprofen is never a bad idea, either. It's basically a morning vitamin for many riders I know as they get a little bit older. You do want to avoid aspirin when you are riding though, as its blood thinning properties might make the consequences of any crash more serious than they might be otherwise.

My neck and back are still killing me from my get-off 5 weeks ago, so I have a feeling it's going to be a long road back for me. We don't bounce as well as we age.
Yup helmet fits snug and good, I did start having headaches at first but those are gone guess my head just wasn't used to having a helmet on. I'll take your advice on ibuprofen as well. Yup age hits us harder and harder every year that passes, thanks a lot!

Old February 11th, 2013, 10:28 AM   #6
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

How much does your helmet weigh? I've noticed some of the cheaper helmets are pretty heavy. You can also get a touring windscreen to help with the wind. Make sure your pillow isn't too high for you when you sleep either. If you are waking up in pain, I'd take a look at your sleeping posture.

Old February 12th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #7
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

when you get too much turbulence shrug up your shoulders for a bit...you'll be surprised at how much it helps.

Old February 12th, 2013, 11:16 AM   #8
bfpower
ninjette.org mafioso

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I had some major neck problems for a while. I had to hold my head like Igor from Young Frankenstein.

One of my coworkers (a physician) gave me a list of stretches to do first thing in the morning, and gave me some advice about sleeping position (favor sleeping on my back, and if I'm sleeping on my side, be sure my head/neck are supported by pillows). The side-to-side pressure on my shoulders was making the problem much worse.

After taking his advice I'm Igor-free for over six months.
bfpower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2013, 12:01 PM   #9
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Name: Adan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R(Crashed 2/26/2014), 09 ER6n

Stretch and develop your back and neck muscles and practice good posture. What comes to mind.
oblivion007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2013, 12:10 PM   #10
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Play a season of Rugby at one of the prop positions.
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote