Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 13th, 2014, 10:27 AM   #1
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Selling bikes for a living?

I decided I want a job in the moto business so I went to my shop and asked what they recommend. I'd like to fix bikes but I'd start out doing anything. They said I should go to big dealerships where they'll hire someone without much experience and train them and have more opportunities for different positions. So I applied at the local Honda dealer, Honda Powersports of Rockville in MD. They said they need a salesperson as they only have one right now and he's a 45 year old guy who doesn't ride (I'm a 21 year old female who does ride). He seemed like he would hire me, just told me to go think about the long hours (45/week) and low pay ($800/month plus commission). He also needs a craigslist ad manager and someone to do social media stuff and event promoting. I can do all of those things.

Has anyone sold motorcycles for a living? I don't know how much the commission is but he said people usually make like $3-4k/month. That would be plenty for me... Assuming he's not lying through his teeth and just trying to get someone to work there for low pay. Do I have any leeway with negotiating monthly pay? If I say I want $1000/month is that going to come off as... meh? Anyone local have experience with that shop? The good thing is it's 15 mins from my house, I dont have to wake up early, and I think I could do well selling hondas. Also I get to ride anything they have in the store (1000rr!) So if anyone has any advice for me as far as negotiating pay or sales tips or any heads up about what the job might be like... I dont have it yet, but I'm hoping..
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2014, 10:37 AM   #2
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
negotiating base salary for a sales job that works on commission and you have no sales experience.... I know what i would tell you if i was the manager.

Let your first 2 months sales do the talking if you are that good we can have a chat. But also keep in mind that after propositioning for more money i would have you under the microscope for those 2 months.

I have been in Rockville honda once... i thought it sucked unless they did some revamp, Honda of Bowie i think is a lot nicer, you should work there.

That or some of the nicer dealerships in NOVA, I feel like a sales person in that area could do pretty good. At any point in the day someone could come in on a moments notice and just drop 15-20k on a bike and it would not be atypical.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2014, 10:38 AM   #3
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
At some point you will be deciding to put food on the table or steer a newb in the right direction.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2014, 10:42 AM   #4
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
The commute is nearly impossible from where I live to NOVA - I thought about Coleman but unless I'm making A LOT of money, the commute isn't worth it. It's horrible.

Honda of Rockville isn't that nice. The guys there aren't very competent or helpful, honestly. I've been there several times, not looking at bikes, and they just... whatever. I just need a job. Good point about being under the microscope, I don't really want that. I decided if I get the job, give it 3 months to see what it will really be like... Just wanted an idea of if it's a horrible job or if it's an okay way to make some money. I'm also living with my parents and not paying rent right now, the goal is to save money to move out, but at least I don't have that burden for a few more months...

Old July 13th, 2014, 11:53 AM   #5
Ninjinsky
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

Politically tricky with someone else already there. Doubling the sales force doesn't mean more customers coming in so taking you on will hurt the 45 year old's numbers.
Also hobby - work transition is not always so hot. I started and ran a cycle dealership for around 5 years,
Firstly it is seasonal, Oct through Feb can really suck the profitability out of a year.
Secondly the 'public' consists mostly of jerks.

Another avenue is motorcycle journalism, most magazines like to have a female writer on the staff these days (or freelancing) , if you can knock a road test or article into shape and have a DSLR it might be a more dynamic lifestyle. Just a thought
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 13th, 2014, 12:41 PM   #6
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

I never sold motorcycles but i've knocked on doors for a living and did pretty good because
I sold something businesses needed, required and cant operate without..
Are bikes the same.
I sold stuff that was consumable....customers come back for more all the time.
How often will your customers come back.
I had price flexibility...I could low ball when I needed to get an order.
Will you have price flexibility.
I have a 52 week selling season.
Will you have the same in DC ?
I made a few dollars on EVERYTHING I sold.
FI....could you get a piece of upselling, mods, service, parts social media sales ?
As written....you'll have to decide between putting food on the table and
( selling a litre bike to a noob) ? I already know what you'll do and if you don't, the owner will fire you.
Or...maybe it'll be the best move you ever made? Dealer sales preps you for other very well paying functions...finance manager, service writer....at auto dealerships, used car sales. Learn to sell anything face to face and you're almost guaranteed six figures for life.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2014, 12:47 PM   #7
Skullz
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ray

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

I say, go for it, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

It is a way to get you valuable experience for a position at a dealership with better volume and clientele down the road.
Skullz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2014, 02:42 PM   #8
Desmoluci
Threadkiller

Name: Mick

Motorcycle(s): Yellow '04 stocker, '89 FJ1200, '87 Ducati Paso, '71 Yamaha XS1b, '99 KLR650, '81 FXE 80, '97 KTM 200EXC , etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullz View Post
I say, go for it, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

It is a way to get you valuable experience for a position at a dealership with better volume and clientele down the road.
I agree.
Have you thought about the parts side of the business? Some of the best parts counter people I've dealt with were women. They seem to be better organized and will at least try to get you what you want in a timely manner without an attitude.

A trustworthy, knowledgeable and motivated parts person is an asset to any shop, and a salesman will get canned before a good parts guy.
Desmoluci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2014, 02:54 PM   #9
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
^All good thoughts.

They're not hiring in the parts department. I just want to get my foot in the door of the moto business. It can't suck more than delivering pizzas or working in a 95+ degree bakery which is what I was doing before. I don't plan on doing sales forever but if it works out well for me and I can make a decent amount of money (I have LOW standards thus far...) I might continue... I guess it all just depends on how it goes the first couple months. Also, it'll probably be easier to get another job in the moto business if I already work there.

Awesome tip about the moto journalism. That's right up my alley. I'm an okay writer, and a good photographer (I do that professionally on the side).

Old July 13th, 2014, 05:22 PM   #10
jaesun
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), and 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R (multiple winter project)

The last time I dealt with someone from sales at Honda of Rockville in 2012, he didn't ride either. But to be fair, he wasn't riding because of his back or something. Probably close to 60 years old. I've also had no issues ordering parts for an old Honda 2-stroke scooter. I wasn't spending much, but the guy in parts helped me out a lot. And I almost bought my helmet there too before I ended up buying an extra helmet from my cousin.

More recently, I went on their website and got a reply from Chad in Crofton. I guess their web inquiries go to their main location? He was good, but I just didn't want to pay the insurance on a Honda sport bike and found my Ducati in State College at Kissell. I think it was Chad who called me last week about their latest shipment of CBR650s that just came in. I was surprised that he called me a few weeks after our last conversation like he said he would.

I've met two riders in the area who bought their first motorcycle from Honda of Rockville. Never heard anything bad from them. Neither of them bought sportbikes though - a sabre and shadow. I'm guessing that if you do work there, you will be selling a lot of cruisers in the summer and a lot of power generators in the winter. But I've also never met a Gold Wing owner who had anything bad to say about Honda. Not sure where they're all buying them from. Shenandoah Honda used to be the place to get the best out the door prices, and I nearly bought a new CBR250 from them before I picked up my used Ninja 250 on craigslist. Shenandoah Honda closed down this past winter. Honda of Rockville is priced for the DC area, and it is what it is.

But congrats. If you're good, people are going to notice and chances are that another dealer will try to hire you away. I haven't seen a saleswoman in the DC area in a motorcycle dealership in years. Maybe they only travel with motorcycle shows? But there's definitely a need. When I posted my Ninja 250 on craigslist, the majority of replies were from women looking for their first motorcycle.
jaesun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2014, 06:26 PM   #11
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Interesting. I saw the CBR650 and I was like HMMMMMMMMMMM.

Personally I see very little character in Honda bikes, especially the new ones. They look so standard and generic to me, I would not really go for a Honda. But if I can make money off of selling them, why not.

Old July 13th, 2014, 11:40 PM   #12
Aufitt
The A Team

Name: Aufitt

Motorcycle(s): Z50, CB125, RZ500, MC22, R3.

@Finesse you need to tow the corporate line just a tad more
Aufitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2014, 06:55 AM   #13
jaesun
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), and 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R (multiple winter project)

Ideas for your first paycheck.

FS: women's track gear (Gaithersburg)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_15931.jpg (62.5 KB, 6 views)
jaesun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2014, 09:33 AM   #14
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
^Ha! I'll add it to my ever-growing list.

I had the interview and I don't think I want the job. The sales guy is super sleazy and I don't want to stand around an empty showroom all day and sell 1 bike a week if I'm lucky.

I have two more interviews - one for a mechanics position (?!?!?!???) and one for accessories dept at Coleman.

I think you're either a good sales person or you suck at it lol

Old July 17th, 2014, 10:19 AM   #15
burningscooter
clutch

Name: nameless

Motorcycle(s): L1 GSXR600

@Finesse if you are doing photography on the side, you should consider going out to the track days and shooting them or shooting the cars that run at VIR/Summit. Just a thought and there seems to be decent money.
burningscooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2014, 10:23 AM   #16
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
^Yeah, I'd love to do that. I may go to the track on the 27th and bring my camera and just see what kinda pics I can get before I go asking for money.

Old July 17th, 2014, 10:29 AM   #17
burningscooter
clutch

Name: nameless

Motorcycle(s): L1 GSXR600

Nice, Nice. My bro started shooting motorbikes professionally this year. He's having a lot of fun. Good luck, regardless!
burningscooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2014, 10:44 AM   #18
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
damn that suit looks like a pretty good deal

also yea taking photos at track days is probably a pretty sweet gig. I want to be a control rider someday, probably after I start racing somewhere down the line.

Old July 17th, 2014, 11:10 AM   #19
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
At some point you will be deciding to put food on the table or steer a newb in the right direction.
this is what i see as the main problem... you will go into it with the best of intentions, with the idea that you will match the right person with the right bike... you don't want to see someone get killed...

and that day will come, more likely it will be once or twice a week...

where that kinda shifty guy will come in... will have money in hand, will want the 2017 Gixxer 1000 RR/R instant death machine... cuz there is this girl at work that thinks it's sooooo sexah...

and you know 10 minutes out the door, you are going to see ambulances and cop cars flying by...

you can make the sale, you can get the commission... you will have to look at yourself in the mirror for the rest of your life...

... that's the problem as i see it.
Rifleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2014, 12:14 PM   #20
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
^I just got a job at a local shop in the service department

I have so little experience but they hired me anyway.... I start on Tuesday... whaaaaaaa Im so excited

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old July 17th, 2014, 12:36 PM   #21
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2014, 12:45 PM   #22
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

nice, wrench monkey...

just force yourself to wear gloves, either shop gloves, or find yourself some latex gloves THAT FIT. Don't just use the ones the guys wear... 7's or 8's purple Nitrile... or you will have black dirt in your finger prints and around your finger nails.... forever.

Get a few oil changes, a few tire replacements, a few brake jobs under your belt. you will be the toast of the town
Rifleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2014, 12:54 PM   #23
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
^word...

I've already done brakes, oil changes, haven't done tires...

Old July 17th, 2014, 01:27 PM   #24
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Tires is fun. Hopefully you guys have a hydraulic tire machine. Often times I lack the strength of one of the menfolk to wrangle those things on. Broke my hand a couple of weeks ago with a stray tire iron.

On an unrelated note good job on the... new.... job.....

Last futzed with by TnNinjaGirl; July 17th, 2014 at 01:28 PM. Reason: wasn't there a :congratulations: ??
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2014, 01:34 PM   #25
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Excellent! Congrats on the new gig!!
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2014, 02:42 PM   #26
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Quote:
Often times I lack the strength of one of the menfolk to wrangle those things on.

STORY OF MY LIFE

my bike outweighs me by a factor of more than 4. I'm 105 lb. my biggest problem with motorcycles is my weight and strength vs. bike's weight and strength. :\

Old July 17th, 2014, 11:28 PM   #27
Ninjinsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
STORY OF MY LIFE

my bike outweighs me by a factor of more than 4. I'm 105 lb. my biggest problem with motorcycles is my weight and strength vs. bike's weight and strength. :\
Great news about the job, There will be "workshop windups" of course like with anybody new.
I remember I was sent to the stores department for "a long apprentice's stand" (they gave me about 20 minutes at the counter before I worked it out, lol )

Old July 18th, 2014, 01:44 AM   #28
b.miller123
ninjette.org member

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 1998 Ninja 250 2007 Yamaha R6 2003 Honda RC51... sold :(

When I got my first job at a motorcycle dealership, being a salesman wasn't "getting your foot in the door", it was something you had to work up to. At 18 or so I got my job by walking in one day and asking to talk to the sales manager. Told him I wanted to work at a bike shop, didn't care what I did as long as it had to do with motorcycles, and that I was coming back every day until he hired me. Only took a couple days for him to realize I wasn't kidding.

I started out as the gopher for the sales guys (service had one too). Washing bikes, charging batteries, delivering bikes, getting lunch, installing accessories (mostly cruiser stuff), picking up bikes, towing stranded customers (our dealership was very good with keeping relationships with customers long after purchase). Eventually I moved into the parts department and worked in shipping/receiving. I probably could have stayed there and been a salesman after a couple years, but the parts and service department were full of guys trying to get into sales. I realized that I didn't like the fact that the only guys making decent money were the managers and or the really good sales guys. Money isn't everything, but having damn near everyone I knew in the motorcycle business tell me that I shouldn't stay in it because there wasn't much money was pretty convincing. Pretty much every dealer in the area could pick and choose who was in sales since a lot of people wanted that kind of work, so they didn't need to pay much. I left after about a year and a half and joined the Navy, went to college and now I make more than the managers did.

I came to realize a long time ago that having work that is fun and having work that is rewarding, are two very different things. I absolutely hate airplanes and swore I'd never have anything to do with them after the Navy. Now I'm a flight test engineer and part of my job is getting paid to go flying around on test aircraft. If I only had to do that part, that would be awesome.

Sorry, but my career advice to anyone is always the same: Go to college (and finish!), join the military, or do both. It worked well for me, but I know it isn't for everyone. I'd still rather regret getting a degree (a useful one from STEM) than not. If I ever lose my awesome job, I can always fall back onto another well paid, yet boring job with benefits. I suggest joining the military if you aren't sure if college is for you. If ever there was a place where you can see the difference in quality of life/work and the amount of respect you get with an education, the military is it.

One last bit before I get off my soap box: Don't get pregnant any time soon. My wife and I make decent money and I can't figure out for the life of me how people living off minimum wage can afford kids. I know there is no way in hell I could have.
b.miller123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2014, 04:51 AM   #29
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Take the sales job, show some cleavage, flirt lightly and let them know 'if you had this bike, we could ride together' and bam sales done and your in the money!

Seriously though sexy women sell anything hella easy!
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 18th, 2014, 05:25 AM   #30
Ninjinsky

Hmm,
Tell you what, Esr-Tek, why don't you stuff a codpiece down your strides and make a fortune selling mattresses using the same psychology

Old July 18th, 2014, 07:16 AM   #31
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2014, 07:58 AM   #32
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Congrats! Just don't fall into the 'ugh, another bike' rut.

I work in the service dept at a large bicycle shop. I do everything except the fancy stuff that costs more than my motorcycle, or the really involved stuff, like bottom brackets or wheel builds.

It's funny. I have so many more tools and help at my disposal, but I come home from working on bikes 40 hours/week and think, ****, I don't want to do x to my bicycles even though I know they need it. I just wanna ride a damn bike for once instead of working on it.

Don't fall into that. Keep your bike in good shape. Enjoy playing with new bikes at work and do your best to never lose your sense of awe. it's a good experience to gawk at nice bikes at work. When they all start being 'just' another motorcycle, it gets very dull very quickly.

Congrats!!
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2014, 08:17 AM   #33
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Congrats! Just don't fall into the 'ugh, another bike' rut.

I work in the service dept at a large bicycle shop. I do everything except the fancy stuff that costs more than my motorcycle, or the really involved stuff, like bottom brackets or wheel builds.

It's funny. I have so many more tools and help at my disposal, but I come home from working on bikes 40 hours/week and think, ****, I don't want to do x to my bicycles even though I know they need it. I just wanna ride a damn bike for once instead of working on it.

Don't fall into that. Keep your bike in good shape. Enjoy playing with new bikes at work and do your best to never lose your sense of awe. it's a good experience to gawk at nice bikes at work. When they all start being 'just' another motorcycle, it gets very dull very quickly.

Congrats!!

It's an addage I think. Plumbers have leaky pipes in their homes. Mechanics drive crappy cars. Etc...
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2014, 12:03 PM   #34
Ninjinsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Congrats!!
Just curious why you find bottom brackets a problem ? With the right tool they are a walk in the park.
Vintage ones are a bit harder, esp early French that use a different thread pitch ( see my old Peugeot attached) but modern stuff is EZ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PeugHeadmin.jpg (127.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Peug3Qmin.jpg (235.4 KB, 45 views)

Old July 18th, 2014, 01:43 PM   #35
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinsky View Post
Hmm,
Tell you what, Esr-Tek, why don't you stuff a codpiece down your strides and make a fortune selling mattresses using the same psychology
LMAO took that seriously
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2014, 05:46 PM   #36
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinsky View Post
Just curious why you find bottom brackets a problem ? With the right tool they are a walk in the park.
Lol, already done two of my own on my personal bikes. They're a breeze. Ever do press-fits? They're a little trickier.

Thing is, I'm only there for the summer. The guys don't really respect my ability because they'd have to double check anything serious. So I get stuck with little things frequently. Chains, headset adjustment, tires, more tires, extra more tires, sometimes a derailleur adjustment.

There's a special awkwardness in the workplace when education and experience but heads for superiority, and I'm at it. I'm mostly through my ME degree and know buttloads more of the technical side of bicycle innovation than they do, yet the mechanics have tons more experience, are faster, have more time at the shop. I am a little slower, a little more calculated, and eager to learn. They just want to get through the orders. It's understandable, but it doesn't facilitate much learning for me. This is just my backup job I found while scrambling around to get a job this summer after my co-op bailed on me due to budget cuts I'm making half what I was supposed to make based on the papers I signed for my co-op and am getting experience that's a) not applicable to my classes and b) doesn't really look that great on my resume.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote