ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old May 2nd, 2021, 06:33 PM   #1
davenay67
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Goldwing GL1800, 2002 Ninja 250, 2001 VFR800, 1999 Ducati 996

250 only starts if intake covered.

The bike is a non running 2007 250 bought at the start of the year as a project rebuild. The tank and bodywork, as well as the rest of the bike in general, is in pretty nice condition for a non-runner.
Other than a good head-to-toe cleaning of the frame, wheels and plastics, I was hoping it would just take a good carb strip/rebuild/clean, new oil, new spark plugs and we'd be good to go.

Not so much. The bike simply won't start. I confirmed that both cylinders are getting good spark, and just to prove it I was able to start the bike on some starter fluid. I pulled the airbox off the carbs and was able to start the bike by placing my hands over the carb intakes. It would die if I moved my hand away completely. It would restart easily if I covered the carbs with my hands again.
I was starting the bike from an auxillary fuel source, so the tank and petcock (which are very clean) are not part of the equation.

So, what do you think I'm possibly dealing with here? I thinking the choke circuit on the carbs could be a problem. Also the pilot jets. I originally cleaned the carbs in an ultrasonic cleaner, and was sure to make sure the all the holes in the main jets, pilot jets, and emulsion tubes were clear by using a fine guitar wire. I've done a few sets of these in the past, so I'm fairly confident navigating my way around these carbs. But there's always a firs time to screw things up....

Planning to pull and strip the carbs again, and pay extra special attention to jets and the choke circuit. Anything else I should really be looking at here?

TIA.
davenay67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2021, 06:51 AM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenay67 View Post
The bike is a non running 2007 250 bought at the start of the year as a project rebuild. The tank and bodywork, as well as the rest of the bike in general, is in pretty nice condition for a non-runner.
Other than a good head-to-toe cleaning of the frame, wheels and plastics, I was hoping it would just take a good carb strip/rebuild/clean, new oil, new spark plugs and we'd be good to go.

Not so much. The bike simply won't start. I confirmed that both cylinders are getting good spark, and just to prove it I was able to start the bike on some starter fluid. I pulled the airbox off the carbs and was able to start the bike by placing my hands over the carb intakes. It would die if I moved my hand away completely. It would restart easily if I covered the carbs with my hands again.
I was starting the bike from an auxillary fuel source, so the tank and petcock (which are very clean) are not part of the equation.

So, what do you think I'm possibly dealing with here? I thinking the choke circuit on the carbs could be a problem. Also the pilot jets. I originally cleaned the carbs in an ultrasonic cleaner, and was sure to make sure the all the holes in the main jets, pilot jets, and emulsion tubes were clear by using a fine guitar wire. I've done a few sets of these in the past, so I'm fairly confident navigating my way around these carbs. But there's always a firs time to screw things up....

Planning to pull and strip the carbs again, and pay extra special attention to jets and the choke circuit. Anything else I should really be looking at here?

TIA.
Yes - something isn't right with the carbs.

Did you remove the idle mixture screws and make sure the passages are clear? O-rings can break and get lodged in the passages also.

Float levels correct? Bench sync the carbs, then confirm with vacuum gauges?

Set the idle mixture screws at 2.5 turns out for starters, and tune precisely when running and fully warm.

Make sure the gas is fresh and the tank is clean.

Some tips in this section - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Intake
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2021, 08:00 AM   #3
davenay67
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Goldwing GL1800, 2002 Ninja 250, 2001 VFR800, 1999 Ducati 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Yes - something isn't right with the carbs.

Did you remove the idle mixture screws and make sure the passages are clear? O-rings can break and get lodged in the passages also.

Float levels correct? Bench sync the carbs, then confirm with vacuum gauges?

Set the idle mixture screws at 2.5 turns out for starters, and tune precisely when running and fully warm.

Make sure the gas is fresh and the tank is clean.

Some tips in this section - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Intake
Thanks for the tips!

Mixture screws and o rings are new, and they should be seated correctly, but it's something to double-check.

Float levels checked with clear vinyl tubing attached to the float drains.

Screws are 2.5 turns out to start with.

Gas is fresh, using auxiliary tank. Gas tank and petcock are not part of the equations at this point.

Carbs are bench-synced, have gauges to accurately sync when the engine is running correctly with the airbox.

I'm leaning heavily to blocked choke pickup tubes at this point, but will inspect everything again when I'm back in the carbs....

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 5th, 2021, 08:24 AM   #4
davenay67
ninjette.org member

SOLVED!

In case anyone comes across this post with similar issues, I found the problem was a blocked choke intake tube.

After a thorough cleaning of this tube, I reinstalled the carbs and the bike started and ran like a champ.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 5th, 2021, 04:01 PM   #5
JayVapes
ninjette.org member

Name: Honorio

Motorcycle(s): Ninja EX250

i would suggest @ducatiman for any carb work

Old May 5th, 2021, 04:02 PM   #6
JayVapes
ninjette.org member

Name: Honorio

Motorcycle(s): Ninja EX250

glad you got it running